Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

IOwnCalculus posted:

Handyman-type question: What do you guys like for lubricating door locks on houses? I keep using dry graphite and it seems to last a shorter and shorter amount of time every time I do.

Either this:

Or this:

Whichever is nearby

CharlesM posted:

edit: I'm glad I got to see it at the only 70mm IMAX in the state.

A theater near us has one of the few remaining 35mm film projectors in the province, so we went there and saw it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

edit: meant to post this earlier. I rarely answer phones at work - a combination of really not being able to hear well (human voices sound really muffled to me, to the point that I've gotten decent at reading lips), and having never been really trained on the point of sale system. I've literally figured it out by just stumbling through it. Thankfully it has a touch screen GUI.

The store also only has 1 line - anyone that calls when that line is busy gets sent to the call center, which handles 8 stores.

Again, remember I've never been trained on the point of sale AT ALL. But it's an easy order - large hand tossed pepperoni, for pickup. I ask if they need any drinks or cinnamon sticks (same thing I did at my last store). Ask if they have coupons. No? I look for one that fits, can't find one, so I give the final total, ask if they know where we're located at, and send the order through.

Right after I send it through, "STR, I'm a secret shopper. Please don't send the order through". :fuckoff:

Apparently I got huge props at the next manager's meeting though, I apparently nailed everything they wanted. Which is dead simple - repeat the phone # and name (assuming carryout), repeat the order, upsell at least one item, and give an estimated ready time. Apparently not supposed to go looking for coupons (that was a BIG thing at Jet's), but they didn't hold that against me.

It was actually the GM of another store in the franchise. Today the former GM of this store (the one I hate so much who now runs the store in Frisco I used to work at) tried to call several times with mystery shop orders, and every single time, as soon as the call taker heard his voice, they said "oh hey what's up <X>?". His voice is very.. identifiable.

e2: new icemaker cutting grid showed up. Seller didn't mention it'd been rebuilt (you can get rebuild kits that replace all of the wire), and I offered $10 less than his asking price (and he accepted). Only issues are (a) it's from a newer model, so the plastic side panels don't clear the wiring the same way and (b) the screw holes don't QUITE line up (just ovaled them out with a drill slightly). The plug also had a ton of corrosion, but after getting rid of that, this thing is just puking ice nonstop. I'll buy a rebuild kit for the grid on it now and keep it as a spare, they're really the only consumable part on this particular icemaker (aside from the water pump).

The Locator posted:

At this point, probably 30 miles from the nearest habitation, coasting nice and gentle down the hill, a highway patrolman comes around the corner going the opposite direction and lights me up. The only spot in my entire day long drive that I'm speeding.

56 in a 40. gently caress.

On my way home last night, I found a state trooper (highway) hidden behind a section of New Jersey barricade that had a gap in it - sneaky gently caress had backed in and was running radar.

I blew past him doing (according to my speedometer) a little over 75 in a 70 (probably 77 - my speedometer is dead nuts accurate according to GPS). He actually started to pull out (I assume to pull me over), then I guess either changed his mind or found something more important to deal with, as his headlights popped into my rearview mirror for a bit (approaching really quickly), then he nailed the brakes and dove for the next exit.

MustardFacial posted:

A theater near us has one of the few remaining 35mm film projectors in the province, so we went there and saw it.

My favorite theater has 3 or 4 35mm projectors still in use - one in one of their large theaters (they have two), and the rest in the smaller ones (I think they have 7 or 8 total). This is a theater that's only been open a couple of years, but they always have special screenings of old movies (stuff like Citizen Kane, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail [with a sing along], etc). They're opening 3 more locally this year, I can't wait. :neckbeard: Used to be one of my first stops every time I visited Austin.

And that white lithium poo poo gets EVERYWHERE (and is a bitch to clean up), but it's the closest thing I can find to the OE recommended lube for my sunroof, door hinges, door latches, and pedal pivots. It attracts dirt like nobody's business, but it works well for several months. I wouldn't suggest it in locks personally though, it's kind of thick.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 30, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

A mile later, one of the folks who had passed him ahead of us was on the side of
Handyman-type question: What do you guys like for lubricating door locks on houses? I keep using dry graphite and it seems to last a shorter and shorter amount of time every time I do.

I use WD40 but I'm a terrible person.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MustardFacial posted:

The film projector is now gone from that screen, although they still have one on the smaller screen. It's been replaced with a laser projection system. Opens tomorrow.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Also, a reminder: for the DFW and nearby goons, the annual Pate Swap Meet starts tomorrow (Thursday). Biggest swap meet in the area. I'm taking $$, no telling what you find out there m

What's this all about? Sounds interesting.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God drat I have no will-power. Just dropped $65 on a blast white NGC MS63 1904-O Morgan Dollar even though my rent and utilities (and weed) are all due today. I have enough money to pay it all but it basically leaves me with just enough money for groceries and gas until next pay day. Impulse purchases suck when you are in tons of debt and live paycheck to paycheck but I had to scratch the itch. At least it is shiny. :heysexy:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God drat I have no will-power. Just dropped $65 on a blast white NGC MS63 1904-O Morgan Dollar even though my rent and utilities (and weed) are all due today. I have enough money to pay it all but it basically leaves me with just enough money for groceries and gas until next pay day. Impulse purchases suck when you are in tons of debt and live paycheck to paycheck but I had to scratch the itch. At least it is shiny. :heysexy:

Buying a dollar for $65?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
gently caress yes. Pay day. Raise went through and withholdings lowered a bit. :feelsgood:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Dude! Welcome to Utah. MMP is incredible and the Shelby museum makes you realize that you haven't amounted to much in life. I also never play games of chance. If I do I become that guy with instant regret.

Thanks.

Starting today at Bryce, then driving up scenic route 12 I think. Need to be in Park City tonight for a reception at Hoonigan HQ, then spend all day tomorrow at MMS.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Got another laptop out of the trash at work! This one is a Dell Studio 15 something. Core 2 Duo. Needed RAM and a hard drive, and the fan sounds like an idling diesel, but I can't find anything else wrong with it. Advantages of being an IT janitor at a university that has "technology recycling" boxes I guess.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So my bosses didn't buy the recommended cable spec'd for the jacks we are using and decided to use all the 3 yr old cable we had stored outside the shop in the conex. So far 90% of these cables are failing for Return Loss. There are like 700 of them total...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

88h88 posted:

Buying a dollar for $65?

its worth a lot for its age and silver content i would guess

i used to collect coins but then i realized i have about 50 years to go before i'll be old enough to be able to do it and afford it

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
lollllllllllllllll second breakup of the year and I didn't do either. Where did all the game go?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had this piece of poo poo digital watch that just chilled in the "junk" drawer at home as I don't wear a watch. Well the fuckin' thing kept randomly beeping every hour, so I promptly took it outside, put it on the patio, and stomped the poo poo out of it. It was cathartic but I think I bruised my right heel. Worth it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Midniter posted:

I had this piece of poo poo digital watch that just chilled in the "junk" drawer at home as I don't wear a watch. Well the fuckin' thing kept randomly beeping every hour, so I promptly took it outside, put it on the patio, and stomped the poo poo out of it. It was cathartic but I think I bruised my right heel. Worth it.

this but my feelings

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

its worth a lot for its age and silver content i would guess

i used to collect coins but then i realized i have about 50 years to go before i'll be old enough to be able to do it and afford it

I usually stack bullion and junk silver but I wanted to add some graded slabs into the mix. The better the grade the more they are worth, just like baseball cards. An MS66 is gonna be worth a lot more than an MS63. But I found that MS63 graded coins is the best middle ground in terms of reasonable cost to collect and the aethetics of the coin itself.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

YNAB thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599364
Get it, use it, have more willpower.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

this but my feelings

:( Adiabatic needs an internet hug. :glomp:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

ilkhan posted:

YNAB thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599364

I was squirreling away a nice stack of cash until I got raped on my taxes and had to buy car tires. Now I am back to being behind on my bills. Luckily I get a $10/hr raise soon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ilkhan posted:

nice, me and my wife have been using EveryDollar and it suits our needs pretty well, but this might be better

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Does it budget in beer and bi-monthly drug binges?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

I got angry at him in the theater and without even thinking yelled out "gently caress you" when he blows up the airlock and dies and of course it's at that moment the music stops and the movie is silent. Awkward. Everyone was with me though. :P

edit: I'm glad I got to see it at the only 70mm IMAX in the state.

I half expected them to try to turn it into some sort of fight between Mann and Cooper, standard Hollywood poo poo, I was wholly impressed that they made Cooper more of a rational thinker. Either way, when Mann blew the airlock, I was thinking the same thing: "gently caress you coward, go to hell"

The creepy part being: Mann's reaction to being on the planet was actually based on a study NASA did about Cabin Fever among astronauts on long duration missions, and his reaction is actually quite realistic. Between isolation driving you to insanity and power tripping, its something that astronauts on long duration missions could actually face or even experience.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 30, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Does it budget in beer and bi-monthly drug binges?

Tell us more about your drug & alcohol problems, we really want to hear more about it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

:( Adiabatic needs an internet hug. :glomp:

Big group hug!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

lollllllllllllllll second breakup of the year and I didn't do either. Where did all the game go?
:glomp: You have your dog, he'll always appreciate you.

Finished The Martian this morning. Holy poo poo. Everyone read this. Pissed this is the only book he has written, any recommendations for similar authors or books?

Dad's VW is loaded up and ready for the weekend, think we're headed to BIR sometime tomorrow morning. We'll arrive way too early, finally get in and setup then realize we don't have anything to do since we have everything prepped. Same every race but I'd rather be way too early than rolling in at the last minute and trying to do an engine swap or something the night before the race...we've seen this a LOT from other teams.

Setting up the sim in the second garage once it warms up a bit more. Dad offered to buy it from me after we unloaded it last night.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Tell us more about your drug & alcohol problems, we really want to hear more about it.

Don't you have a Miata to go drive and rave about or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got out of bed yesterday and stretched and my right leg cramped up so bad I couldn't walk on it. Sitting here today and it still hurts so bad I'm worried about being able to walk normally this weekend and I have to be mobile.

Anyone got some vicodin?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Super Aggro Crag posted:

lol get out of here with this lightweight garbage. You're gonna be too blitzed to realize that tt's gonna steal your hood one of these days.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Why would he want my hood when his can't dent? :classiclol:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I got out of bed yesterday and stretched and my right leg cramped up so bad I couldn't walk on it. Sitting here today and it still hurts so bad I'm worried about being able to walk normally this weekend and I have to be mobile.

Anyone got some vicodin?

drink some water, you're probably dehydrated

otherwise I have muscle relaxers if you want some

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

All I drink is water! If anything I'm bloated!

Twenty years ago I hurt my knee pretty badly and we elected to not have surgery because I would've been off my feet for a long time and probably had to repeated a grade. They warned me that it might come back to haunt me someday and I am kind of freaking out that it's happening now.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Is that supposed to be an insult? I really just wanted to know all about your drug & alcohol dependence.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tusen Takk posted:

Y'all post way more than you ought to. You're "turning into" a bunch of catty teenage girls.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You have posters confused.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

All I drink is water! If anything I'm bloated!

Twenty years ago I hurt my knee pretty badly and we elected to not have surgery because I would've been off my feet for a long time and probably had to repeated a grade. They warned me that it might come back to haunt me someday and I am kind of freaking out that it's happening now.

Stop being a baby. I hosed up my knee when I was younger too (twisted it big time, pops out a lot still, grates when moving). Consequence of that is my back and other knee took 20 yrs of extra strain, and the're stuffed now too).
Point is, you just had a cramp.

E: I hardly ever had painkillers. They gave me good ones in hospital when I had pancreatitis and all sorts of internal referred pain which helped that. Not one of their painkillers ever helped my aching back though. I often wonder what I could ever do to help that pain go away

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 30, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Fo3 posted:

Stop being a baby. I hosed up my knee when I was younger too (twisted it big time, pops out a lot still, grates when moving). Consequence of that is my back and other knee took 20 yrs of extra strain, and the're stuffed now too).
Point is, you just had a cramp.

E: I hardly ever had painkillers. They gave me good ones in hospital when I had pancreatitis and all sorts of internal referred pain which helped that. Not one of their painkillers ever helped my aching back though. I often wonder what I could ever do to help that pain go away

Probably have back surgery, like I am going to. Also, gently caress you and your "stop being a baby, you just had a cramp". Ignoring injuries is how people end up crippled for life.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
April 1~~~Guys I just dropped my whole paycheck on shiny coins and some dank

April 20 ~~ LOL I'm so hosed up

April 21 ~~ I feel so lovely today what's up with this? It literally does not make sense and I can't even

April 30 ~~ drat I'm broke I don't get it

AI : The Saga

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Baller Witness Bro posted:

April 1~~~Guys I just dropped my whole paycheck on shiny coins and some dank

April 20 ~~ LOL I'm so hosed up

April 21 ~~ I feel so lovely today what's up with this? It literally does not make sense and I can't even

April 30 ~~ drat I'm broke I don't get it

AI : The Saga

Just drink another bottle of fireball and stop being a pussy!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Could be worse. If I owned a Rover I'd be living in a cardboard box by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Lightbulb Out posted:

Just drink another bottle of fireball and stop being a pussy!
And ghost pepper fries.

• Locked thread