Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
We were talking about actual good Christian media earlier, and watching Daredevil kinda got me thinking about that, because it's a TV show about a Christian warrior coming into contact with the Devil and struggling with his faith, and while he's a dirty papist and not a Protestant his methods seem like they'd be pretty appealing to the fundiesphere. Does anyone know if that show's been getting any buzz among the religious right, or have they dismissed it as dirty librul media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If I had to guess I'd say most people don't view it any deeper than "superhero TV show on Netflix."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

raditts posted:

If I had to guess I'd say most people don't view it any deeper than "superhero TV show on Netflix."

Pastor at the church I go to mentioned it once, saying it was really good television and didn't treat Christians as fundie stereotypes. That's the only murmur I've heard about it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc5s1ZKNmcc

These are the argument scenes from God's Not Dead. They are almost totally unwatchable because there is no flow of ideas.

Holy crap, the "smug atheist professor's invocation of Stephen Hawking's credentials" at 4:50 is literally taken word for word from this clip from the Colbert Report, where Colbert mocks a WSJ columnist for not taking Hawking seriously as a smart guy:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/21iu1g/stephen-hawking-is-an-a-hole

It really says a lot that they were looking for words to put in the mouth of their smug atheist, and they decided to go with something said by a devout Catholic. :v:

edit: It's also interesting to look at this "debate" as an instructional tool. It's pretty obvious the filmmakers hoped to equip audiences to bust out some of these sick burns and methods of steering the conversation in real life debates with atheists. It'd be interesting to see if the "atheists hate god" or "you're not an atheist, you're an anti-theist!" memes spiked in popularity following the release of this movie. I know my cousin who saw and enjoyed the film would probably parrot the exact points brought up in the debate if the movie/issue were ever brought up and she were compelled to argue about it.

Also the music that plays at the end of the video wants so hard to be Explosions in the Sky, to the point where the band could probably successfully sue for royalties in the wake of the Robin Thicke/Marvin Gaye lawsuit.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 14, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

It's really really blunt about it, though. Like there's 6 or 7 separate times that Matt goes to his priest and has an extended conversation tying everything back to his faith, and it gets brought up by other characters too. It's the kind of thing where if you don't notice it you're either not watching the show at all or just not paying any attention to it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 15, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cognac McCarthy posted:

edit: It's also interesting to look at this "debate" as an instructional tool. It's pretty obvious the filmmakers hoped to equip audiences to bust out some of these sick burns and methods of steering the conversation in real life debates with atheists. It'd be interesting to see if the "atheists hate god" or "you're not an atheist, you're an anti-theist!" memes spiked in popularity following the release of this movie.

I think calling Sorbo's character an antitheist is a pretty apt description. poo poo, I'd even call Bill Nye an antitheist.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Star Man posted:

I think calling Sorbo's character an antitheist is a pretty apt description. poo poo, I'd even call Bill Nye an antitheist.

I guess, but antitheism can also refer to an opposition to god, rather than to belief in god, so it's confusing what's meant by that. In this movie's context the implication is that Sorbo's character does believe in god but hates him, which doesn't describe Bill Nye. I am opposed to the belief in ghosts, but I'm not anti-ghost, I'm anti-superstition. In this movie, replace god with ghosts and you get a character who hates ghosts, which doesn't represent your average skeptic at all, and so fails to connect with skeptics that the movie might be trying to reach. In interviews, Sorbo says just this, how can you be angry at something you don't believe in? Thus anti-theists must be angry at god, rather than at dogmatic religious thought.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 16, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If Sorbo's character wore a fedora, wasn't handsome and was less articulate he'd be a pretty realistic depiction of the average antitheist on the internet.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Croisquessein posted:

In this movie's context the implication is that Sorbo's character does believe in god but hates him, which doesn't describe Bill Nye.

Well, this again is the fundamentalist mindset. Atheists deny god because they're angry with him or blame him for how their life turns out. At no point do any of them understand that atheists don't believe there is a god.
But then if they did, it might help them understand things better, which you know they aren't going to do

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Star Man posted:

I think calling Sorbo's character an antitheist is a pretty apt description.

That's fine, my point was that I've noticed the phrase used more and more as a talking point to combat secularism in recent years, with no distinction made between caricatures like Sorbo's character and everyday people who don't want religious infiltration of government or education. Because to a lot of people there is no such distinction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's really really blunt about it, though. Like there's 6 or 7 separate times that Matt goes to his priest and has an extended conversation tying everything back to his faith, and it gets brought up by other characters too. It's the kind of thing where if you don't notice it you're either not watching the show at all or just not paying any attention to it.
Matt's Catholicism comes up very often in the comics as well. It's heavily tied into the character. I really need to read the Frank Miller run, but I think that's where it started.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If Sorbo's character wore a fedora, wasn't handsome and was less articulate he'd be a pretty realistic depiction of the average antitheist on the internet.

You could say that about pretty much any given character in any context though.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

This is on Netflix. You guys should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB05X-X1AMY

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Max22 posted:

This is on Netflix. You guys should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB05X-X1AMY

When looking up this movie on Google, found that SA did a review on it, it was the second link after the IMDB link

http://www.somethingawful.com/movie-reviews/freedom-silence/1/

Was this filmed over a weekend on a $150 camera from Best Buy?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

So there's this new faith-based film called Little Boy. It has probably the most tasteless ending in any film since Remember Me and I think this thread might appreciate it.
It turns out the boy causes Hiroshima through sheer power of faith, just so his dad can come back from the war (hence the title).
http://www.avclub.com/article/little-boy-218450

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

So there's this new faith-based film called Little Boy. It has probably the most tasteless ending in any film since Remember Me and I think this thread might appreciate it.
It turns out the boy causes Hiroshima through sheer power of faith, just so his dad can come back from the war (hence the title).
http://www.avclub.com/article/little-boy-218450

This is my new favorite thing. The trailer looks like a loving sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BdzqsIX6A

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Schurik posted:

This is my new favorite thing. The trailer looks like a loving sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BdzqsIX6A

Hahaha wow. Really disappointed they didn't have the balls to just slam cut to a mushroom cloud at the end.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Schurik posted:

The Kid holding out his arms and trying to do magic reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs

If the ending is what I have heard it is, this will be something else.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

If the ending is what I have heard it is, this will be something else.

It is, that's the best part. Apparently they meagerly try to give it some context by showing the devastation and implying that everything that happens could be a coincidence, but even the idea of framing a kid willing a nuke to happen as something positive is so absurd that it'd be hard to swallow even as satire.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

As a punchline, it's hard to top.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I like to imagine this is the origin story of that kid from that one episode of the Twilight Zone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Shang Tsung from the loving Mortal Kombat movie is in this as "the good Jap."

You're better than this, Shang Tsung.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

"Christianity and Hollywood. Deadliest of enemies, but slaves under my power." :haw:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BUTT posted:

His character's name is Hashimoto.

Hashimoto was also the name of the captain of the Japanese submarine that sank the USS Indianapolis after it delivered...

...wait for it...

...the Little Boy bomb.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

His character's name is Hashimoto.

Hashimoto was also the name of the captain of the Japanese submarine that sank the USS Indianapolis after it delivered...

...wait for it...

...the Little Boy bomb.

:cripes:

dude can't possibly need money that badly, the residual checks from all the poo poo he's done have to be pretty huge (seriously jesus loving christ go look at his filmography, he's basically the Asian "that guy"), does he just hate himself that much?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 23, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

LORD OF BUTT posted:

dude can't possibly need money that badly, the residual checks from all the poo poo he's done have to be pretty huge (seriously jesus loving christ go look at his filmography, he's basically the Asian "that guy"), does he just hate himself that much?

He changed his name to James Hong?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 24, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i actually forgot about James Hong but they're pretty loving comparable, Tagawa works marginally less

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Actors have a literally bottomless unfillable need for money and attention.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Also hard up for some garbage Jesus cinema tonight, but I've seen almost everything in this thread. Someone hook me up with some real bad poo poo, ideally maybe that's condescending towards women and has a token already saved black guy.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Also hard up for some garbage Jesus cinema tonight, but I've seen almost everything in this thread. Someone hook me up with some real bad poo poo, ideally maybe that's condescending towards women and has a token already saved black guy.

Have you seen "The Encounter"? It's on Netflix. On a dark and stormy night, six or so lost souls find themselves in a diner owned by Jesus. You know he's Jesus because he has a big name tag that reads "Jesus."

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Robotnik Nudes posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k5o_LwqX77I

Was posted earlier in the thread but here's the worst of the worst , enjoy!

Alternatively the 1990's Left Behind movie fits all those cliches you mentioned.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ZDar Fan posted:

Have you seen "The Encounter"? It's on Netflix. On a dark and stormy night, six or so lost souls find themselves in a diner owned by Jesus. You know he's Jesus because he has a big name tag that reads "Jesus."

All I can picture is Neil Gaiman's "24 Hours" story from Sandman.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jonas Albrecht posted:

All I can picture is Neil Gaiman's "24 Hours" story from Sandman.

That's exactly where my mind went, too.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Nckdictator posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k5o_LwqX77I

Was posted earlier in the thread but here's the worst of the worst , enjoy!

Alternatively the 1990's Left Behind movie fits all those cliches you mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ko926itZ4
This is always the best part.

His accent is really fluid and believable.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ko926itZ4
This is always the best part.

His accent is really fluid and believable.

Cajun communists are the scariest.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

Well, this again is the fundamentalist mindset. Atheists deny god because they're angry with him or blame him for how their life turns out. At no point do any of them understand that atheists don't believe there is a god.
But then if they did, it might help them understand things better, which you know they aren't going to do

I think a lot of them are aware on some level that's what's being suggested, but they actively refuse to acknowledge it because evangelical culture demands complete conformity and obedience. There's a strong us vs them thing going on and to be in the in-group you need to be a perfectly loyal Christian and even acknowledging that question is too much to handle

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Oi I checked out Left Behind on Netflix and loving :laffo: that they basically only adapt the first chapter of the first book. Okay so I saw this too in God's Not Dead, but has anyone noticed the weird depiction Christian movies tend to give Muslims nowadays, like "Oh it's admirable that these brown heathens are super devout and religious but don't forget that they don't worship the right god :downs:"? I swear this is the most condescending a "positive" depiction can get.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Oi I checked out Left Behind on Netflix and loving :laffo: that they basically only adapt the first chapter of the first book. Okay so I saw this too in God's Not Dead, but has anyone noticed the weird depiction Christian movies tend to give Muslims nowadays, like "Oh it's admirable that these brown heathens are super devout and religious but don't forget that they don't worship the right god :downs:"? I swear this is the most condescending a "positive" depiction can get.
Yeah the worst part of the left Behind movies is how they always end right when I start to get half interested in the plot.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Yeah the worst part of the left Behind movies is how they always end right when I start to get half interested in the plot.

What are you talking about 90 minutes of five idiots in a plane talking about nothing was fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

That's pretty much what the usual opinion of Muslims has been, or at least was before "they're terrorist untermenschen". Remember the US was best friends with some Muslim countries including the Saudis for many years and still is, that has to be justified somehow

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 30, 2015

• Locked thread