Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Scorpion and the Frog thing is related to the problem of characters not knowing about/understanding things they totally should but them being clueless and asking about it lets another character explain it to the audience.

See: every episode of Law and Order SVU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For some reason whenever I hear the Scorpion and the Frog come up I think of KoTH's Tiger and Strawberry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hM7iAkjk8

Oh the mangled retellings throughout the episode :allears:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

For some reason whenever I hear the Scorpion and the Frog come up I think of KoTH's Tiger and Strawberry

Owns

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arrath posted:

Hahaha, I somehow never saw this episode.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Arrath posted:

...and that was the sweetest gulp of Gatorade he ever had.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mister Nobody posted:

That's usually referred to as the Baader Meinhoff phenomenon. When you finally learn about a thing or concept and then start taking notice of mentions or references to it.

What does it have to do with far left terrorist factions?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's called frequency illusion :eng101:

Is this why you feel like you always see street lights burning out?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

Is this why you feel like you always see street lights burning out?

Yes.

It is also an observational bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetlight_effect

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I meant more like this article that one links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

But thanks! I always wanted to actually read something about this instead of just have conversations about it while driving.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

I meant more like this article that one links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

But thanks! I always wanted to actually read something about this instead of just have conversations about it while driving.

Yeah that's the schizo side of it.

Seems like it belongs here

http://www.gangstalkingwiki.com/

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

syscall girl posted:

:stare:

Is this just un-medicated schizophrenia, or something? Because :stare:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

:stare:

Is this just un-medicated schizophrenia

Yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

syscall girl posted:

"The main idea of this website is that gang stalkers are a secret society. If they were not a very sinister secret society, then I should frequently find people who admit that they are or have been gang stalkers."

The sound at the start of this link immediately played in my head :stare:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

syscall girl posted:

quote:

In theory everyone can participate in gang stalking, but, in the real world, if someone decides that someone has to be stalked, then he gives his name to the Freemasons. Even in seemingly simple cases like bullying they work like this. Bullies are trained by parents who are Freemasons.

People call themselves Freemasons until it can be proven that they are organizing crime. Then they are called Mafia. Then they restart the same secret society under a new name. Then they apply again to be recognized as Freemasons. For this reason, I will be treating Freemasons and Mafia as two names for the same thing.

I think he misspelled "Illuminati"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Frostwerks posted:

What does it have to do with far left terrorist factions?

Some dude learned about Baader-Meinhof and then started noticing references to them, so he named the phenomenon after them. I think Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon sounds cooler than frequency illusion.

And yeah, gang stalking is a lot like Morgellons where people are convinced they have bugs under their skin.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

wyoming posted:

And yeah, gang stalking is a lot like Morgellons where people are convinced they have bugs under their skin.

Isn't Morgellons the one where they think they have hard fibers growing in their body or whatever? I think the bugs thing is delusional parasitosis.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

wyoming posted:

Some dude learned about Baader-Meinhof and then started noticing references to them, so he named the phenomenon after them. I think Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon sounds cooler than frequency illusion.

...that's the stupidest poo poo I've ever heard. Not you personally, but holy poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really don't understand the end to MIB3. J is fighting the bad guy on a gantry, gets shot a bunch and then jumps off said gantry with the bad guy. On the way down he turns on the time machine which takes him back like a minute but instead of just going back in time it resets everything? J isn't injured and the bad guy is back where he started. Then the whole scene plays out again but J is able to dodge the attacks for some reason like everything is playing back exactly the same.

Also I guess the movie thinks everyone will be okay with K murdering the bad guy after he surrenders?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Isn't Morgellons the one where they think they have hard fibers growing in their body or whatever? I think the bugs thing is delusional parasitosis.

Yes, it is. Joni Mitchell has it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this? posted:

I really don't understand the end to MIB3. J is fighting the bad guy on a gantry, gets shot a bunch and then jumps off said gantry with the bad guy. On the way down he turns on the time machine which takes him back like a minute but instead of just going back in time it resets everything? J isn't injured and the bad guy is back where he started. Then the whole scene plays out again but J is able to dodge the attacks for some reason like everything is playing back exactly the same.

Also I guess the movie thinks everyone will be okay with K murdering the bad guy after he surrenders?

That was a little weird to me, too. It didn't send him back in time, it just rewound it. So everything does play out the same, which is why he can dodge everything. Come on, time machine movies! Get yer tech straight!

And I don't exactly think that the MiB has a particularly lenient outlook on aliens who attempt to destroy Earth, not to mention all the other planets that evil fleet would've consumed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Except by then they had closed the loop. Time had been corrected and his future version was stopped. They could have just let it play all out again where he goes to prison and then goes back and J stops him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When he first uses it he does end up standing in the same spot so it's consistent about that much, I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this? posted:

Except by then they had closed the loop. Time had been corrected and his future version was stopped. They could have just let it play all out again where he goes to prison and then goes back and J stops him.

I mean, yeah, they could have. But this fucker killed K (sort of), was responsible for the destruction of Earth (again, sort of), and was going to do it again. I don't think they had much respect for space law at that point. I mean, these guys are more like the space NSA when it comes to being 'legal' and stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought it was lame how in Guardians of the Galaxy the heroes are able to hold on to the deadly macguffin and fry the bad guy with it, and the message we get is that teamwork and resolve save the day, only for the next scene to tell us that the hero lived because of his mysterious alien ancestry.

It reminds of the later, crappier Harry Potter books where we learn that the sword of Gryffindor can destroy evil Horcruxes, not because it's an heirloom that symbolises good and bravery, but because it's filled with Horcrux killing juice. I think there's a name for this brand of Fan-Wank, where symbolic stuff gets the symbolism ripped out of it for the sake of nerds.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I thought it was lame how in Guardians of the Galaxy the heroes are able to hold on to the deadly macguffin and fry the bad guy with it, and the message we get is that teamwork and resolve save the day, only for the next scene to tell us that the hero lived because of his mysterious alien ancestry.

It reminds of the later, crappier Harry Potter books where we learn that the sword of Gryffindor can destroy evil Horcruxes, not because it's an heirloom that symbolises good and bravery, but because it's filled with Horcrux killing juice. I think there's a name for this brand of Fan-Wank, where symbolic stuff gets the symbolism ripped out of it for the sake of nerds.

Starwarsification?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

It reminds of the later, crappier Harry Potter books where we learn that the sword of Gryffindor can destroy evil Horcruxes, not because it's an heirloom that symbolises good and bravery

When did they ever say this? The sword never destroyed one in the second one, as it was always the snake venom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TaurusTorus posted:

Starwarsification?

Midichlorians, yeah.

I'd just call it "over-explanation" which is a huge problem in sci-fi. You tell me there's a "warp core", cool, I can go with that. You tell me the warp core uses dilithium crystals, well, you better have a reason for picking dilithium. The more you mention the more you have to be able to explain or back up. The less you explain the better.

I always go back to Ghost in the Shell as one of my favorite examples of doing sci-fi properly. They drop the story in-media-res and they never attempt to explain anything about the technology. Because it isn't important! All you need to know is that people can have synthetic cyborg bodies now and that people's brains can be transferred into a synthetic brain case, but there's some part of spiritual "ghost" to it which seperates cyborgs from robots.

Then they never say anything else about it, because anything else they explained would just be wrong because we haven't yet figured out how that brain stuff works or even if it will be possible. Writers aren't better at science than scientists, so they shouldn't try. Just give me a black box symbol and leave the rest of it unknown.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was both. He wasn't instantly obliterated because he's part-alien, but he would have died anyway if the others didn't help.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

Starwarsification?

It's one of the things David Lynch gets right, present something with no explanation and let the viewer fill in the blanks with their own imagination. Sometimes it fails badly, but sometimes it really hits that sweet spot.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Got sick on alcohol this weekend and binged about a season of Deadwood.

If they're going to violate history by having everyone be hot as gently caress they might as well have kept Wild Bill around for more than like three episodes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

It's one of the things David Lynch gets right, present something with no explanation and let the viewer fill in the blanks with their own imagination. Sometimes it fails badly, but sometimes it really hits that sweet spot.

On the other hand that can go just as wrong if you aren't careful. LOST is a good example of not explaining things so the audience can fill them in themselves.... but then never actually bothering to come up with something coherent and ultimately writing yourself into a wall.

Ideally it should feel like the author knows the answer but he just isn't sharing it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

On the other hand that can go just as wrong if you aren't careful. LOST is a good example of not explaining things so the audience can fill them in themselves.... but then never actually bothering to come up with something coherent and ultimately writing yourself into a wall.

Ideally it should feel like the author knows the answer but he just isn't sharing it.

SNL did the same skit twice, fifteen years apart. They had jack from lost, and Kyle MacLachlan from twin peaks, in an elevator while the cast mostly as themselves needle them about hey what's the big secret? are you guys just makin' it up as you go along or do you have a plan? The beleaguered actor good-naturedly reassures them that they have a plot, and they know where they're going. Kind of crazy how one was right and the other was wrong.

And in the lost one they directly asked him if everyone was dead and actually in purgatory the whole time and he swore up and down that no they would never do something so stupid and that's literally how the show ended.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Krinkle posted:

And in the lost one they directly asked him if everyone was dead and actually in purgatory the whole time and he swore up and down that no they would never do something so stupid and that's literally how the show ended.

Except they weren't dead and in purgatory the whole time. Lost had its problems yeah, but it still astounds me how many people are still confused about that part of the finale.

Edit: VVVVVVVV I'm one of the people who believed the producers when they said they had an explanation/plan for everything, but I'm not disappointed at all that they were full of it, just because the show slowly became so bat-poo poo insane and entertaining, it almost felt like a troll to the audience.

Eh! Frank has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Apr 30, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

SNL did the same skit twice, fifteen years apart. They had jack from lost, and Kyle MacLachlan from twin peaks, in an elevator while the cast mostly as themselves needle them about hey what's the big secret? are you guys just makin' it up as you go along or do you have a plan? The beleaguered actor good-naturedly reassures them that they have a plot, and they know where they're going. Kind of crazy how one was right and the other was wrong.

Hah, I saw the Jack from Lost skit but I missed the Twin Peaks one.

Hey, LOST ended with a battle between good and evil, using a pirate ship wheel that turned back time and saved the universe. That's totally different!

I still laugh when I think about the smoke monster.

"Don't worry; its not magic! We'll totally explain how it works later"

:lost:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

This isn't movies but I loved how Iain M. Banks did it in his Culture novels. It's all perfectly plausible up to the point where us normal humans could understand, and all the really advanced tech was invented by smug AI minds who would at most use some vague metaphors and stuff because we wouldn't understand anyway. You'd have ship computers literally talk down to humans asking questions they wouldn't understand the answer to, like a rocket scientist would to a 6 year old.

Or one of my favourite bits: the AI of a ship showing it's passengers seemingly real time footage of the spacebattle it was engaged in, and when the passenger understandably freaks out they're told to relax, it's all an extremely slowed down replay, the actual battle only took like half a second.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Rude.

It doesn't happen from a mile away, he's either touching some cloth or is close to it, and it's in the first couple of episodes. I'm not going to rewatch it to check.

You're thinking of the blind mentor guy reaching towards the bedroom and screaming "Silk sheets?? Really??" from the living room.

I got no problem with that though, to be so attuned you can feel the microscopic particles in the air from things like bandages or silk or the smell of tools or whatever is fine: you do that.

What I don't get is WHY Murdock pretends to be blind? His first day of college: no one knows him, his family is dead, Foggy is meeting him for the very first time: why be blind? Just walk in all "Hey duders, totally not blind guy here. See how I move about the room normally? High five for working eyes!"
In an episode he walks out onto the street and starts following a guy while tapping his cane, who is that for?

I like the show though, it makes it clear that Da Red Evil's REAL power is being able to get totally wailed on and still get up, that, even with all his super senses, he still has trouble focussing (or sorting through the stimuli) so he's still handicapped, and I really like that when he's around people he "acts" blind (doing things that feeling for tables or doorframes etc) but when he's not he doesn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Taeke posted:

This isn't movies but I loved how Iain M. Banks did it in his Culture novels. It's all perfectly plausible up to the point where us normal humans could understand, and all the really advanced tech was invented by smug AI minds who would at most use some vague metaphors and stuff because we wouldn't understand anyway. You'd have ship computers literally talk down to humans asking questions they wouldn't understand the answer to, like a rocket scientist would to a 6 year old.

Or one of my favourite bits: the AI of a ship showing it's passengers seemingly real time footage of the spacebattle it was engaged in, and when the passenger understandably freaks out they're told to relax, it's all an extremely slowed down replay, the actual battle only took like half a second.

That's really cool.

It also reminds me of Watchmen's brilliant subversion of the expected evil genius trope. He sits there explaining everything he's going to do, and the rest of the Watchmen are all "we're not going to let you do this!"

The look on their faces after he says "I did it 35 minutes ago" is just so loving great. Like pure :stonk:

Man that sex scene in the watchmen movie to "Hallelujah" was loving awful though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He'd still be blind, because he can't see poo poo.

Dude has literally no vision. He can't read print without using his fingers, he can't see a cell phone screen.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Duke Igthorn posted:

You're thinking of the blind mentor guy reaching towards the bedroom and screaming "Silk sheets?? Really??" from the living room.

I got no problem with that though, to be so attuned you can feel the microscopic particles in the air from things like bandages or silk or the smell of tools or whatever is fine: you do that.

What I don't get is WHY Murdock pretends to be blind? His first day of college: no one knows him, his family is dead, Foggy is meeting him for the very first time: why be blind? Just walk in all "Hey duders, totally not blind guy here. See how I move about the room normally? High five for working eyes!"
In an episode he walks out onto the street and starts following a guy while tapping his cane, who is that for?

I like the show though, it makes it clear that Da Red Evil's REAL power is being able to get totally wailed on and still get up, that, even with all his super senses, he still has trouble focussing (or sorting through the stimuli) so he's still handicapped, and I really like that when he's around people he "acts" blind (doing things that feeling for tables or doorframes etc) but when he's not he doesn't.

I figured the 'pretend i cant see poo poo' act was to throw people off, nobody expects to be followed by a blind dude tapping his cane around, and it works great as a cover / alias; that vigilante dude can't possibly be blind lawyer guy cos he can clearly see everything just fine as vigilante dude.

I know he all gets outed later in the marvel universe but for now it kinda fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zaphod42 posted:

Man that sex scene in the watchmen movie to "Hallelujah" was loving awful though.

I thought that was the point. The Watchmen are hosed up, broken people.

Edit: is Matt Murdock not being blind a real thing? If so, why bother calling him Daredevil since that's his entire thing.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 00:05 on May 1, 2015