Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Have any of you all seen the articles going around about how using Times New Roman on a resume hurts your chances? It sounds mostly like clickbait but is there any clout to this, and could you tell Garamond (which my resume is in) from TNR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Garamond looks nicer, but it's pretty silly.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Have any of you all seen the articles going around about how using Times New Roman on a resume hurts your chances? It sounds mostly like clickbait but is there any clout to this, and could you tell Garamond (which my resume is in) from TNR?

My understanding is that these articles interviewed typography experts on good fonts to use, but how much of an expert on fonts do you imagine your average HR person is? I would venture that the content and layout of your resume are far more important than the font you use (assuming it's a simple and professional one.) This probably doesn't apply if you're in graphic design or another design-heavy field, but if you were, you probably wouldn't be asking this question. The articles say that you should be using Helvetica on your resume, so I'm very curious if hiring managers are now going to see a spike in resumes using Helvetica.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The theory is it looks nicer even without knowing anything about fonts. Which is true, but given that most resumes these days are filtered through some godawful interface that reads in data from the resume, it barely matters.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Xandu posted:

Most jobs won't get back to you at all. Emailing or calling won't help. It is what it is.

Yeah, I know..everything about trying to find a job sucks :(

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I use Georgia for my resume, but it's mostly because I want to demonstrate that I know how to change fonts in Microsoft Word.

My impression is that if you're applying for jobs that list "Experience in Microsoft Office, including Word" under required or desired skills, then your resume might as well be a demonstration of your ability to do more than just type words into a document all day. :shrug:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Sounds good, thank you!

Next question: applied to a job last Monday, haven't heard anything yet and my job application status is still at 'In Progress'. Is there any good way to send an email just to see what's going on and what they are expecting the timeline for interviews to be?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah it was an online application through their company job website (jobsatcu.com) The fact that my application status hasn't been moved to Denied or Cancelled means there's still hope I suppose, but I really can't think of a good way to make contact with them without coming across as impatient.

For university hiring, it depends a lot on the job that you applied for. All of your applications will probably go through HR, which will screen out blatantly unqualified candidates and forward everyone else to the hiring department. (:siren: This is not the case everywhere; my current institution does not do this. :siren:)

If you applied to a job with a posted close date, the department will not take a serious look at applicants until the close date. They will schedule a meeting after the close date for the hiring committee to get together and review applications. They'll probably select 5-8 people, then the lowest-ranking person the department's administrative assistant will set up a phone screen. (Again, this is not always the case; I've done a number of phone interviews, but all three jobs I've landed in this field skipped the phone interview phase.) Then people who survive the phone screen will do an in-person interview; pretty standard stuff, really.

If you applied to a job without a posted close date, god help you. The department might keep the posting open until they hire someone (or withdraw the position), or they might just keep it up until the applicant pool is good enough. People might contact you… some time.

Most schools have a mandatory minimum time a posting can be up (usually a week). If you applied the day that the job posted, then you have to factor for at least a week for applications to be received, then probably another week to hear back from the committee (that has to schedule a meeting, review applications, and try to reach some kind of consensus, all of which are hard to do for any group of people in academia).

Factor in that the semester is probably ending right now (and that it's the spring semester, so graduation is a beast at any school) and honestly not having heard anything shouldn't be a red flag for a while. A two or three week wait between the day the posting goes up and the day that they start calling for interviews is pretty typical for university hiring and honestly I wouldn't expect anybody to move on any job application the week before finals, the week of finals, or the week after graduation (since most search committees will have some faculty representation, regardless of what job you're applying for).

But absolutely :siren: do not contact the hiring department directly :siren: in higher education, period.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

I just had a job offer dropped in my lap yesterday while trying to find a graduate school adviser (I was immediately offered a job, this never happens) then today had an impromptu interview, in the hallway as I was leaving the restroom of all places, with the person who has the job offering. The adviser in question asked me to provide him with a resume and CV. My resume looks like crap because most of my career has been academia and a single internship and I honestly have no idea what I would even put on a CV seeing as my only accomplishment is joining an honor society and that just happened last Friday.

So at the risk of being told to read the OP again, which I have, what do I do in this case? I don't believe I have enough to put on a CV that wouldn't already go on my resume. To be specific also I don't have a bachelors degree and my only qualifications I know of are the fact that I know how to program and I'm a US citizen? I think I'm freaking out a little because this was all so sudden.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My resume is in Eurostile, but it's a designer resume so it doesn't quite follow the rules of normal resumes. I'm considering making it more boring since I'm starting to go after federal jobs next job hunt.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm giving notice at work on Monday and I'm trying to think of who might be good references for me. Is it valuable to have references outside of your department or core set of work functions? I'm in a lab position right now but I've done a bunch of project work with our company's finance director over the last six months or so, and he's been really positive about what I've accomplished on those projects. I'm wondering if having perspective on a different side of my capabilities would be more valuable than having multiple references from my lab who are all going to say the same things about me.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

As long as you feel confident he knows you and your work well enough, go for it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

C-Euro posted:

I'm giving notice at work on Monday and I'm trying to think of who might be good references for me. Is it valuable to have references outside of your department or core set of work functions? I'm in a lab position right now but I've done a bunch of project work with our company's finance director over the last six months or so, and he's been really positive about what I've accomplished on those projects. I'm wondering if having perspective on a different side of my capabilities would be more valuable than having multiple references from my lab who are all going to say the same things about me.
References who weren't your supervisors are pretty much worthless, so just write off most people in your lab. People high up on the org chart are worth something, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

References who weren't your supervisors are pretty much worthless, so just write off most people in your lab. People high up on the org chart are worth something, though.

Yeah my supervisor loves me from everything I can tell so he's definitely a reference. I also have a department head but I feel like he doesn't know me that well, and this finance director has the ear of our president and a bunch of execs so he's a good card to have in my pocket.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I'm in a slight fix. I've been looking for work in a while and got a job offer last week at a place that was legitimate and sounded interested in me. I had misgivings about the position from what I heard in the phone call, but hadn't interviewed in years, so I went along with it. Got to the interview, liked the place and the job less and less the more I heard, but since I didn't know of a diplomatic way to go "not interested, leaving now" I continued to go along with it. And I think I went along with it a little too well, since they all but said they're going to make me an offer next week.

It's nice that I was able to successfully bullshit my way through a 2 and a half hour interview, but how do I politely cut the cord here before things progress any further? Wait until the next phone call from the place and say sorry, looking into other opportunities?

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
Speaking of references, what can someone do if their employer strictly forbids a manager serving as a reference? My boss would make a great reference but cannot due to company policy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

C-Euro posted:

Yeah my supervisor loves me from everything I can tell so he's definitely a reference. I also have a department head but I feel like he doesn't know me that well, and this finance director has the ear of our president and a bunch of execs so he's a good card to have in my pocket.
Prospective employers doing reference checks have no idea how closely you worked together. Get everyone you can whose title might matter!

Big Spoon posted:

Speaking of references, what can someone do if their employer strictly forbids a manager serving as a reference? My boss would make a great reference but cannot due to company policy.
Were you fired or asked to leave? I've never heard of that as being a general policy before.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's nice that I was able to successfully bullshit my way through a 2 and a half hour interview, but how do I politely cut the cord here before things progress any further? Wait until the next phone call from the place and say sorry, looking into other opportunities?

Uh, put it out of your mind until/unless they get back to you? Then just say something like "I sincerely appreciate the time you spent on the interview process, but unfortunately after more consideration I feel that my goals don't align with $company's and I have to take a different direction at this point. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a candidate."

Or take the job and its income and spend your time immediately looking for a better one. Then feel pride in the fact that for once the company is getting screwed by its employee rather than the company screwing the employee.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

Uh, put it out of your mind until/unless they get back to you? Then just say something like "I sincerely appreciate the time you spent on the interview process, but unfortunately after more consideration I feel that my goals don't align with $company's and I have to take a different direction at this point. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a candidate."

Or take the job and its income and spend your time immediately looking for a better one. Then feel pride in the fact that for once the company is getting screwed by its employee rather than the company screwing the employee.

I already have a job that pays about as much and, despite being a career dead-ender, doesn't make me want to hang myself, so the second option is probably out. But yeah, I'll just wait for them to get back to me and say some boilerplate excuse.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

Vulture Culture posted:

Were you fired or asked to leave? I've never heard of that as being a general policy before.

Nope, still employed. Its company policy to avoid the potential that a manager could provide a bad reference (either in retaliation or if it is deserved) and opening the company to litigation.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Prospective employers doing reference checks have no idea how closely you worked together. Get everyone you can whose title might matter!

My company forbids it unless it's for an educational reference. In practice, managers you are close with will still do it though.

Phineus
Jul 21, 2008

Good to the last drop.
I have a question regarding location strategies: I am a recent graduate with a BS in Behavioral Science and I am looking to move from the Southern California area to the Greater Seattle area. I'm mostly curious if I should be looking for some kind of 'landing pad' job in something like retail/customer service before attempting to find my first "real job".

TLDR: Will applying for jobs out of state drastically hurt my chances?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
All that means is they can't give a reference through official company channels so as long as you get their personal contact info to list instead of their work number/email you're good to go.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I'm applying for mechanical engineering jobs in MN, currently living in Chicago. So far I've been finding jobs by cold calling MN recruiters and talking with them. I've had 2 interviews and one pre-interview with a recruiter so far. I'm fairly confident 1 of these interviews was a success, but not sure about the other one. At the other one, their engineers weren't available for interviews (busy) so I was talking only to the HR generalist / front desk lady. I may have been too assertive in my responses to her questions about hypothetical conflict situations.

Other than craigslist job postings, what are other methods for finding openings? Has anyone actually had success applying to the openings on sites like careerbuilder or company websites?

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Giblet Plus! posted:

Other than craigslist job postings, what are other methods for finding openings? Has anyone actually had success applying to the openings on sites like careerbuilder or company websites?

I used indeed.com to get my current job. I used it to find a job related to my degree like you would use careerbuilder but it has better results from what I experienced. I did apply directly through my company's website but Indeed was a great tool to help find it in the first place. Careerbuilder did not even list my future job as an option with any form of keyword search. During my search I found recruiters to be offering positions that were underpaid or 6 month contracts through any agency. I grew to dislike all but 2 recruiting agencies in my area that spoke with me like I was more than a bump in their paycheck if they got me a job.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I used indeed.com to get my current job. I used it to find a job related to my degree like you would use careerbuilder but it has better results from what I experienced. I did apply directly through my company's website but Indeed was a great tool to help find it in the first place. Careerbuilder did not even list my future job as an option with any form of keyword search. During my search I found recruiters to be offering positions that were underpaid or 6 month contracts through any agency. I grew to dislike all but 2 recruiting agencies in my area that spoke with me like I was more than a bump in their paycheck if they got me a job.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try indeed as well.

The one potential job where the interview went well was a 6 month contract type position, but with a clear full time position available afterwards. The contract wouldn't provide health insurance, so I would have to pay for it on my own. I'm expecting they will have to improve the hourly pay to compensate for this. Are positions like this worth taking? The actual job sounded interesting.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Connect on LinkedIn with any recruiter and message them. Plus there are a ton of jobs on there as well.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Another reference question.

I have a few interviews this week for medical device sales and only have 1 reference in terms of managers above me, etc. and that was from a sales job 6 years ago.

He already told me he would be more than happy to write me a reference but the past 6 years I've been running my own business so should I have more than one reference or just explain why I only have one and if I need more who should I look towards?

edit: Also when filling out applications and they ask for GPA from college but it's not required. If it was low is it better putting it on there or leaving it blank if you are 7+ years removed from graduating?

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 4, 2015

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Another reference question.

I have a few interviews this week for medical device sales and only have 1 reference in terms of managers above me, etc. and that was from a sales job 6 years ago.

He already told me he would be more than happy to write me a reference but the past 6 years I've been running my own business so should I have more than one reference or just explain why I only have one and if I need more who should I look towards?

edit: Also when filling out applications and they ask for GPA from college but it's not required. If it was low is it better putting it on there or leaving it blank if you are 7+ years removed from graduating?

Only having one supervisor reference is fine, but it shouldn't be your only reference at all. For other references, can you use any former coworkers, or a client from your current business?

Leave your GPA off.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I've been working a job as an industry representative in retail for the last few years, but recently my company sold decided to partner with a broker and essentially outsourced the sales representative positions to the broker. My job was internally transferred from one company to another. I'm doing literally the exact same job (for the exact same end employer still), but under a different company name as a result. How should I format this on my resume? My job is literally identical so it feels redundant to put them as two separate entities under the experience section on my resume, but at the same time it's for a different company and I feel like it looks skeevy if I just put one continuous date for the entire period since I haven't been working for just a single company during that time.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Last September I had a recruiter contact me for a job. I did a phone screening but the person said I wasn't a fit and we didn't move forward. What prompted her to say that was when she asked what I wanted to do with my career I mentioned studying for a CFP designation and since this role is not client facing she felt that it wouldn't be in my interest. However in the time since I've pretty much lost interest in continuing my career in client facing roles.

I got a call from a different recruiter today and she thought I was a perfect fit for a job and scheduled me for an interview this week. At the time she didn't tell me the name of the company until after the interview was scheduled at which point I figured out it was the same position at the same company. Do I need to mention this to either the recruiter or the company?

cosmic gumbo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Last September I had a recruiter contact me for a job. I did a phone screening but the person said I wasn't a fit and we didn't move forward. What prompted her to say that was when she asked what I wanted to do with my career I mentioned studying for a CFP designation and since this role is not client facing she felt that it wouldn't be in my interest. However in the time since I've pretty much lost interest in continuing my career in client facing roles.

I got a call from a different recruiter today and she thought I was a perfect fit for a job and scheduled me for an interview this week. At the time she didn't tell me the name of the company until after the interview was scheduled at which point I figured out it was the same position at the same company. Do I need to mention this to either the recruiter or the company?

No.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Nope. Happened to me and I got the job! :D

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Lilli posted:

I've been working a job as an industry representative in retail for the last few years, but recently my company sold decided to partner with a broker and essentially outsourced the sales representative positions to the broker. My job was internally transferred from one company to another. I'm doing literally the exact same job (for the exact same end employer still), but under a different company name as a result. How should I format this on my resume? My job is literally identical so it feels redundant to put them as two separate entities under the experience section on my resume, but at the same time it's for a different company and I feel like it looks skeevy if I just put one continuous date for the entire period since I haven't been working for just a single company during that time.
I'd just list it as the same job working for CompanyA/CompanyB

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

• The one weird old tip that your doctor hates, discovered by a mom that will set you apart from anybody else: your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience. You need to sell, sell, sell how you stood out in every single job.
  • Numbers, metrics, and performance stats are your friend. "Sold over $30,000 worth of widgets to 294 separate accounts during December" vs. "Responsible for the sale of widgets for the Northeastern division" -- which one do you care about? Who cares if the best widget seller sold $1,000,000 worth of widgets? Nobody else knows that!

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on these two points when directly applied to design engineering. It's hard to assign numbers and statistics to accomplishments when your accomplishments are pretty much "designed new product for X assembly" or something like that. Should I still try and find a bullshit way to make it work, or just focus more on implanting all those keywords from the posting into my resume instead?

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
What am I supposed to do with recruiters who have language and ethics issues?

I'm in PA and I have a BS in chem with a biochem concentration and a few years of paid academic lab experience. I have been applying to pharma jobs and I have a recruiter offering me 25% below base salary (according to glassdoor and salary.com) and no benefits for a company that I'd really like to work for. Should I keep playing ball with this recruiter? I'd really like to work for this company but going through the recruiter means a total compensation of 40k/yr (no health insurance, 401k, PTO) where as getting in with the company through their website would be closer to 60k/yr. The company offers 150% 401k match up to 6%, 3 weeks PTO, and good health insurance. I'm entry level with a bunch of undergrad research experience with a small school with a brand new 30$M building and a (senior) student faculty ratio of 1:1. I have learned and mastered many techniques that you typically wouldn't be exposed to until your third year in a PhD program. I understand I don't have much leverage here, but what should I do?

In addition the recruiter is clearly an ESL individual -- I can not understand them on the phone and their emails are full of typos and weird grammar and syntax. The recruiter has also been encouraging me to alter my resume to include skills that I am not familiar with. Going so far as to send me another candidates resume to "copy" to bring mine up to snuff. I didn't make any changes as the resume I was forwarded contained typos and and grammatical mistakes. This is obviously a huge red flag. Am I being scammed? The company website seems legitimate. I have a bad outside recruiter for an awesome company.

What should I do?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Mourne posted:

What am I supposed to do with recruiters who have language and ethics issues?

I'm in PA and I have a BS in chem with a biochem concentration and a few years of paid academic lab experience. I have been applying to pharma jobs and I have a recruiter offering me 25% below base salary (according to glassdoor and salary.com) and no benefits for a company that I'd really like to work for. Should I keep playing ball with this recruiter? I'd really like to work for this company but going through the recruiter means a total compensation of 40k/yr (no health insurance, 401k, PTO) where as getting in with the company through their website would be closer to 60k/yr. The company offers 150% 401k match up to 6%, 3 weeks PTO, and good health insurance. I'm entry level with a bunch of undergrad research experience with a small school with a brand new 30$M building and a (senior) student faculty ratio of 1:1. I have learned and mastered many techniques that you typically wouldn't be exposed to until your third year in a PhD program. I understand I don't have much leverage here, but what should I do?

In addition the recruiter is clearly an ESL individual -- I can not understand them on the phone and their emails are full of typos and weird grammar and syntax. The recruiter has also been encouraging me to alter my resume to include skills that I am not familiar with. Going so far as to send me another candidates resume to "copy" to bring mine up to snuff. I didn't make any changes as the resume I was forwarded contained typos and and grammatical mistakes. This is obviously a huge red flag. Am I being scammed? The company website seems legitimate. I have a bad outside recruiter for an awesome company.

What should I do?

How does the recruiter have any say on your salary?

I'd get the interview and when they ask about salary tell them what you want based off their website numbers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'd run away from that recruiter because I wouldn't want to be associated with such a lack of professionalism.

Just apply directly to the company.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

So I'm in a slight fix. I've been looking for work in a while and got a job offer last week at a place that was legitimate and sounded interested in me. I had misgivings about the position from what I heard in the phone call, but hadn't interviewed in years, so I went along with it. Got to the interview, liked the place and the job less and less the more I heard, but since I didn't know of a diplomatic way to go "not interested, leaving now" I continued to go along with it. And I think I went along with it a little too well, since they all but said they're going to make me an offer next week.

So hey, turns out these people really wanted me to come work with them and they're super distraught by me turning them down, to the point where they emailed me their offer letter and asked for me to go into more detail as to why I was no longer interested in them. The bald truth is that I was hardly interested in them from the start - the wages were barely more than I'm making now and they pulled a bait-and-switch on me with the position, which turned into glorified customer-service call-center work - but I went along with it anyway while telling them everything they wanted to hear because I needed the interview practice and didn't know how to leave in mid-interview.

How the hell do I follow up diplomatically at this point? I can't say I'm turning them down because of the wages, because I agreed with those right off the bat. The company culture was a huge sticking point - this place is so white, male, and uptight that you'd expect to see Don Draper walking around the corner, there's five-foot glossy "inspirational" posters everywhere, it's horrible - so I could dress that up in politeness and use it as a reason, but I don't want to be insulting to the company itself. Where do I go from here?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

glorified customer-service call-center work

Barely sounds worth even following up on. If you'd feel more comfortable, you could say a better opportunity came up, but saying it's not the right fit and leaving at that isn't unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xandu posted:

Barely sounds worth even following up on. If you'd feel more comfortable, you could say a better opportunity came up, but saying it's not the right fit and leaving at that isn't unreasonable.

They dressed it up in a lot of official-sounding language, but that's how it came off to me. Basically it's a catchall department that works with every other department to gain a sufficiently broad knowledge base to, and this is the pertinent bit, field every single client query or complaint over the telephone. Plus data entry.

Mostly I'm just uncomfortable with how it'll come off if I did the interview-required nod and smile through the entire process, "sounds like it would work for me," etc., only to turn around and say no. I mean, I was constantly lying through my teeth, so it's mostly on my head, but as far as I'm concerned job interviews are carefully controlled bullshit swaps anyway.