Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I want to actually do something with the models once they're built/painted, and the reason I don't want wargames is I'm primarily a solo gamer, and it's pretty difficult to wage war against yourself.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Uhhh, Blood Bowl? Really, most games that sell themselves on their miniatures are pretty lovely games because their customers are mainly interested in miniatures v:shobon:v. The general consensus here is that Super Dungeon Explore is pretty bad and the last I heard of Kingdom Death it had tons of kickstarter backers because of it's (kinda skeevy) miniatures, despite not actually having rules yet. I'd recommend you just buy miniatures from wherever and build them for fun, and maybe you can find a few games where you can replace a few cardboard chits with them.

you forgot to judge Shadows of Brimstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I haven't played it personally but my understanding is that Shadows of Brimstone is a fairly straightforward experience as a game. Move - Fight(roll) - Explore & repeat until escape/success or pay the ultimate price of failure.

If you want minis to paint up and stuff but do something with them too at the end of it all then Shadows would be fine.

Some of the AD&D games (Wrath of Ashardalon, something something dark elf Drizzt, and something something Ravenloft) are similar co-op Move-Fight-Explore & minis games but are you know, fantasy instead. Temple of Elemental Evil is coming out sometime as well.

If you want a more horror-themed game and don't mind a players vs a gamesmaster arrangement instead of co-op (and you don't mind a "random elements story experience" ingredient) then Mansions of Madness will give you a lot to work with as far as minis go, too.

Mantic Games has that really popular Dreadzone which I know nothing much about other than it's affordable and it's a well done miniatures battle game (so no board, just rulers and stuff and miniatures and tiny landscapes).

Unlike you I am not really hot on miniatures building so I looked at it and went but it might be up your alley.

e: Oh yeah Earth Reborn is 1-on-1 (optional rules for more though) with minis that is extremely well made and designed but rules are heavier. Lots of writeups and pictures around if you want to look into it and see if it's your thing.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 30, 2015

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

PubicMice posted:

you forgot to judge Shadows of Brimstone

Honestly, I've never heard of it; like all games I assume it's bad until I have evidence to the contrary. It looks like a dungeon crawl sort of game, Level 7: Omega Protocol is usually considered the best game in that style and it has miniatures (I think they come pre-assembled, but you can paint them).

Are you exclusively looking for games you can play solo? There are only a handful of games that do solo-play well.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Just buy minis to assemble then play a good game afterward

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make minis to pimp out pieces for your games or others'. Turn those meeples into blood-thirsty barbarians or gun-toting marines or the cast of Seinfeld. It'd certainly make games of Agricola more entertaining.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lord Frisk posted:

Just buy minis to assemble then play a good game afterward

A thousand times this. Mini building and good games are mutually exclusive.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Morpheus posted:

Edit: How does Rex compare? Apparently there's more to do in that game than just build up armies?

They are very different games, although I would say in my experience TI gives you a lot more to do than just build up armies. I didn't particularly care for Rex that much the 2-3 times I've played it, but it's a much slimmer game than TI. They really aren't comparable aside from the theme (which is EXTREMELY tacked on to Rex, which itself is just a re-release of the old Dune board game).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I played Roll for the Galaxy last night and really enjoyed it. Am I crazy?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

No, it's been heavily praised

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can anyone give me a rundown of Among the Stars vs Race for the Galaxy? Among is more of a builder, Race is an engine game right? Are both about building a space empire? Is Among easier to learn and teach than Race?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown of Among the Stars vs Race for the Galaxy? Among is more of a builder, Race is an engine game right? Are both about building a space empire? Is Among easier to learn and teach than Race?

They're not really alike other than you build a tableau in both of them. Among the Stars is more comparable to 7 Wonders with tiles.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

No, it's good

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It looks like Reddit is getting in on the whole Hasbro's printings of Dominion sucks ordeal going down. Maybe something good will come of it, but as someone who has recently enjoyed getting into Dominion and wanted to buy it for myself, this is making me want to just make a print & play version with a much better theme.

Thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/34c9wh/gamers_beware_newest_printings_of_rio_grande/

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

ConfusedUs posted:

I think I'm the lone dissenter in the thread that doesn't enjoy Roll. I love Race, and it just seems like a far more elegant game than Roll. I found it to be a bit fiddly and very very slow to start out.

I also didn't like that they didn't include enough tiles to give everyone a "draw two and pick one" for your starting planets. I figured that they would have learned from Race on that issue, since the expansions addressed it and made the game much more enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely panning it. I think it's actually pretty decent for a dice game, I just think it's a step down from playing the original.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

jeeves posted:

It looks like Reddit is getting in on the whole Hasbro's printings of Dominion sucks ordeal going down. Maybe something good will come of it, but as someone who has recently enjoyed getting into Dominion and wanted to buy it for myself, this is making me want to just make a print & play version with a much better theme.

Thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/34c9wh/gamers_beware_newest_printings_of_rio_grande/

I didn't read the thread, but it would seem to be cost prohibitive to do a pnp with new art. Thoughts?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

Thread here:

I love pirating card games...err I mean "print & play". It is totally not worth it for Dominion, there are too many cards.

I was thinking of doing up a full set of randomizers, and then using playing cards as proxies. I'd only need 10 decks of cards, that's reasonable (unlike printing several thousand cards and sleeving it all)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 30, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

jeeves posted:

Thread here:

out of curiousity, what would be "a much better theme" than what dominion has?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hmm my folks got me Game of Thrones and want to play it this weekend when I visit. And it would be a four player game. I'm conflicted between hunting down a copy of Feast for Crows, or going there and trying to break it to them lightly, or fleeing the country

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Broken Loose posted:

This is probably what they are thinking. Also, :barf:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
zombies

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Broken Loose posted:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

What if jeeves is Vlaada chvatil?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Broken Loose posted:

Smashup.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Counterpoint: Lovecraft

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What if jeeves is Vlaada chvatil?

Vlaada is a character on one of the cards in the new Saint Petersburg :)

e:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 30, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jeeves posted:

as someone who has recently enjoyed getting into Dominion and wanted to buy it for myself, this is making me want to just make a print & play version with a much better theme.
I don't know why you would do this when Tanto Cuore already exists.

Edit: url-beaten

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't know why you would do this when Tanto Cuore already exists.
Edit: url-beaten

ah, yes, the game where you pay prepubescent maids in love and don't let them leave your mansion.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Deviant posted:

ah, yes, the game where you pay prepubescent maids in love and don't let them leave your mansion.

I will never play the game because the theme is just WAY to creepy for me. But I am curious, is the game actually mechanically sound? Like is it, when divorced of its theme, actually a good deck building game?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Madmarker posted:

I will never play the game because the theme is just WAY to creepy for me. But I am curious, is the game actually mechanically sound? Like is it, when divorced of its theme, actually a good deck building game?

It is literally a re-skin of Dominion.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Madmarker posted:

it's literally dominion with different art.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
god drat it, pudding.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It handles curses in a better way imho but otherwise yes it's basically dominion

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am looking forward to the release of Tanto Cuore Adventures.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well since it basically doesn't try to deviate from the dominion formula, it's supposed to be decent mechanically. There is a games with Garfield podcast where they awkwardly analyze its mechanics while being repulsed by the theme

But at that point you are choosing to opt out of just playing dominion in order to play safeway select brand dominion with a creepy theme.

It's always funny to me when I see reddit threads where people just matter of fact recommend tanto cuoro as a deck builder with no disclaimer

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

and even if it weren't creepy as hell, try reading a tanto cuore card without getting a loving migrane.

six point comic sans.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's always funny to me when I see reddit threads where people just matter of fact recommend tanto cuoro as a deck builder with no disclaimer

It's a shame that there aren't more good games with hilariously bad themes to do this for.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Jeez guys, it was just a thought since:

a) Nothing pisses me off more when publishers cheap out on shittier components and yet seem to always charge more.

and

b) I loving forgot how many god drat cards Dominion has.

Also I do love how 'but just make it scifi to be better' for any retheme was broken by the lovely rear end Coup / Resistance theme.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's actually kind of bizarre that there aren't more really novel (and sometimes horrible) themes pasted on games. If you are just going to paste on a theme, why medieval village #106207 instead of Phoenix wright rip off or something

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's actually kind of bizarre that there aren't more really novel (and sometimes horrible) themes pasted on games. If you are just going to paste on a theme, why medieval village #106207 instead of Phoenix wright rip off or something

The answer is always that publishers are poo poo and require poo poo themes from bg designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

It's a shame that there aren't more good games with hilariously bad themes to do this for.

XXXenophile is actually a mechanically excellent game, but the art/theme is.....off
Warning, Erotic art drawn by Phil Foglio :nms:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1627/xxxenophile