Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Oh, don't worry, there will be at least one embarassing conservative democrat running. Not sure who it will be, just yet, but whoever it is will pick up some votes.

Racist southerners, Reagan Democrats and blue dogs comprise more of the democratic primary electorate than college leftists do. If Bernie wants a strong 2nd-place finish, he has to get better at minority outreach than he has been. That's where he can actually take a noticeable number of votes from Hillary, though it's an up-hill battle.

Based on the last Illinois elections, homophobic blacks are becoming their own voting bloc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If I donate money to Sanders am I going to get a million political DNC emails until the end of time?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rubentum! Its catching on!

quote:

Based on new Public Policy Polling (PPP) data, Rubio received more support from Iowans than former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, current Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas. Rubio, however, lost first place to Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin. Walker received 23 percent of the poll about the Republican Party field, while Rubio received 13 percent and 12 percent for Bush. Huckabee accounted for 10 percent as the remaining GOP options received single-digit figures.

Despite Rubio's second place position, PPP noted his standing "reflects his rise nationally." The PPP reported added, "Boding well for him is that beyond being in second place overall, he is also tied with Walker for being the most frequent second choice of voters at 13 percent. That gives him a lot of room to grow if other candidates falter along the way."

When Republican respondents were asked to pick their second GOP candidate choice for president, Rubio tied with Walker at 13 percent for the top position.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/50674/20150430/2016-presidential-election-polls-marco-rubio-improves-momentum-edges-jeb.htm

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Radish posted:

If I donate money to Sanders am I going to get a million political DNC emails until the end of time?

You're not already?

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
Can Bernie run for president and also for reelection to the senate? If not, will his seat be at all competitive in 2016? I know VT is super liberal, but I've read that Jim Douglas is still popular there, and he seems moderate enough to maybe be the Scott Brown of Vermont.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Corrupt Politician posted:

Can Bernie run for president and also for reelection to the senate?

Yes.

In fact, the Liberty Union party (which Bernie had a minor role in founding back in the 70s) regularly runs the same candidate for about a dozen different offices.

edit: However, it should be noted that Bernie was re-elected to the Senate in 2012 and isn't up again until 2018.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 30, 2015

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

joeburz posted:

sanders pet project is full communism

Poe or :dogbutton:?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Radish posted:

donate in cash at your local Bernie For America field office

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I want a Bernie burger.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe it's a collaborative effort to provide cover for Hillary as she swerves left to win the primary, so that she can point to Sanders and tell the big money that she had to say all that stuff so she could win the primary.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm enjoying all the formerly-bernie-liking Greens on my facebook spontaneously abandoning him now that he is registered with a party

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Radish posted:

Make a 2nd gmail account and donate with that.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

PupsOfWar posted:

donate in cash at your local Bernie For America field office

Most presidential campaigns don't accept donations at their field offices.

But yes, most likely if you donate your information will eventually be rented to other Dems to pay off campaign debt. Such is life.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Enigma89 posted:

Make a 2nd gmail account and donate with that.

Or just make a gmail filter to instantly trash everything containing the word DNC.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

joeburz posted:

sanders pet project is full communism

democratic full communism

Leviathan Song posted:

Found the article I was looking for: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1311313/Glue-guns-will-help-police-to-quell-violent-protesters.html
It's not my idea, it's an idea taken seriously by police and military units the world over. You can feel how you want about that.

Actually I was responding mostly to the use of tranquilizer darts, which do not work like the movies might have you think.

Eat_at_Milliways
May 3, 2006
bald_kid
hoo boy

Bernie Sanders, y'all

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I have a private email server, like my lord and savior HRC.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Or just make a gmail filter to instantly trash everything containing the word DNC.

what if i miss out on my run dnc tickets from ticketmaster

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Best quote I've ever heard

quote:

"I respect the courts, but the Supreme Court is only that -- the supreme of the courts. It is not the supreme being. It cannot overrule God. When it comes to prayer, when it comes to life, and when it comes to the sanctity of marriage, the court cannot change what God has created. Somebody's got to be willing to take on the institutions that challenge and threaten our ability to believe as we believe, because when religious liberty is lost, all liberty is lost. I do not come to you tonight with the ability to speak Spanish. But I do speak a common language: I speak Jesus." - Mike Huckabee, addressing the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Enigma89 posted:

Whatever, I donated to a dove. My conscience is clear. Hopefully he trounces Hillary but even I will admit it may not happen; a lot of war enthusiasts in the US.

It would be pretty sweet karmic justice if Hillary's vote on Iraq ended up costing her this election. That would be so sweet. :allears:
For a dove, you seem pretty enthusiastic about a Republican attacking Iran (any Republican will attack Iran at this point)

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Nessus posted:

For a dove, you seem pretty enthusiastic about a Republican attacking Iran (any Republican will attack Iran at this point)

What??? I think I am the only one here that has consistently refuses to vote for hawks. I didn't vote for Obama, Romney, McCain, etc.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 30, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Enigma89 posted:

What??? I think I am the only one here that has consistently refuses to vote for hawks. I didn't vote for Obama, Romney, McCain, etc.

Yet you think Ron Paul is a dove.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Enigma89 posted:

You know the old phrase "neutrality is a support of the status quo"?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think the implication is that a vote for bernie is a vote wasted and thus a vote for a repulican

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A vote for Bernie in the primary doesn't take away from Hillary in the general, just saying.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

Well, in your scenario where Hillary's Iraq vote sinks her ambitions, when does this happen?

If it happens in the general, of course, we go to war with Iran.

If it happens in the primary I would be greatly surprised. I don't think Bernie Sanders can win a national election. I imagine if Hillary got hit by a bus there would be desperate rallying behind Biden or maybe Cory Booker.

FAUXTON posted:

A vote for Bernie in the primary doesn't take away from Hillary in the general, just saying.
Yeah I agree completely, but this is a situation where I think if you're wishing for Khaleesi's failure, you're basically also wishing for the invasion of Iran.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Here's a informative section about Martin O'Malley in this interview of David Simon:

quote:

The drug war began it, certainly, but the stake through the heart of police procedure in Baltimore was Martin O’Malley3. He destroyed police work in some real respects. Whatever was left of it when he took over the police department, if there were two bricks together that were the suggestion of an edifice that you could have called meaningful police work, he found a way to pull them apart. Everyone thinks I’ve got a hard-on for Marty because we battled over “The Wire,” whether it was bad for the city, whether we’d be filming it in Baltimore. But it’s been years, and I mean, that’s over. I shook hands with him on the train last year and we buried it. And, hey, if he's the Democratic nominee, I’m going to end up voting for him. It’s not personal and I admire some of his other stances on the death penalty and gay rights. But to be honest, what happened under his watch as Baltimore’s mayor was that he wanted to be governor. And at a certain point, with the crime rate high and with his promises of a reduced crime rate on the line, he put no faith in real policing.

Originally, early in his tenure, O’Malley brought Ed Norris in as commissioner and Ed knew his business. He’d been a criminal investigator and commander in New York and he knew police work. And so, for a time, real crime suppression and good retroactive investigation was emphasized, and for the Baltimore department, it was kind of like a fat man going on a diet. Just leave the French fries on the plate and you lose the first ten pounds. The initial crime reductions in Baltimore under O’Malley were legit and O’Malley deserved some credit.

But that wasn’t enough. O’Malley needed to show crime reduction stats that were not only improbable, but unsustainable without manipulation. And so there were people from City Hall who walked over Norris and made it clear to the district commanders that crime was going to fall by some astonishing rates. Eventually, Norris got fed up with the interference from City Hall and walked, and then more malleable police commissioners followed, until indeed, the crime rate fell dramatically. On paper.

How? There were two initiatives. First, the department began sweeping the streets of the inner city, taking bodies on ridiculous humbles, mass arrests, sending thousands of people to city jail, hundreds every night, thousands in a month. They actually had police supervisors stationed with printed forms at the city jail – forms that said, essentially, you can go home now if you sign away any liability the city has for false arrest, or you can not sign the form and spend the weekend in jail until you see a court commissioner. And tens of thousands of people signed that form.

“Now, the mass arrests made clear, we can lock up anybody, we don't have to figure out who's committing crimes, we don't have to investigate anything.”

My own crew members [on “The Wire”] used to get picked up trying to come from the set at night. We’d wrap at like one in the morning, and we’d be in the middle of East Baltimore and they’d start to drive home, they’d get pulled over. My first assistant director — Anthony Hemingway — ended up at city jail. No charge. Driving while black, and then trying to explain that he had every right to be where he was, and he ended up on Eager Street4. Charges were non-existent, or were dismissed en masse. Martin O’Malley’s logic was pretty basic: If we clear the streets, they’ll stop shooting at each other. We’ll lower the murder rate because there will be no one on the corners.

The city eventually got sued by the ACLU and had to settle, but O’Malley defends the wholesale denigration of black civil rights to this day. Never mind what it did to your jury pool: now every single person of color in Baltimore knows the police will lie — and that's your jury pool for when you really need them for when you have, say, a felony murder case. But what it taught the police department was that they could go a step beyond the manufactured probable cause, and the drug-free zones and the humbles – the targeting of suspects through less-than-constitutional procedure. Now, the mass arrests made clear, we can lock up anybody, we don't have to figure out who's committing crimes, we don't have to investigate anything, we just gather all the bodies — everybody goes to jail. And yet people were scared enough of crime in those years that O’Malley had his supporters for this policy, council members and community leaders who thought, They’re all just thugs.

But they weren’t. They were anybody who was slow to clear the sidewalk or who stayed seated on their front stoop for too long when an officer tried to roust them. Schoolteachers, Johns Hopkins employees, film crew people, kids, retirees, everybody went to the city jail. If you think I’m exaggerating look it up. It was an amazing performance by the city’s mayor and his administration.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s-anguish

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

So because he is willing to use private sources to deal with issues abroad makes him not a dove?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Enigma89 posted:

So because he is willing to use private sources to deal with issues abroad makes him not a dove?

If he's willing to deploy PMCs to gently caress poo poo up abroad instead of deploying the US military, then no, he is not a dove.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If he's willing to deploy PMCs to gently caress poo poo up abroad instead of deploying the US military, then no, he is not a dove.

Yeah I completely disagree with that. If we absolutely have to send people abroad, I don't care if its private or military. Pretty sure it's safe to say that Ron Paul would of been one of the last people willing to send (private or military) abroad.

Agree to disagree I guess.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

Yes, wanting to enforce american hegemony using unaccountable mercenary thugs makes him not a dove.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

Yes, wanting to enforce american hegemony using unaccountable mercenary thugs makes him not a dove.
Yeah the Pauls seem to actually be hilarious shitheads who have managed to successfully brand themselves to appeal to an electoral segment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Enigma89 posted:

Happily supporting mercenaries its the very opposite of dovish.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

PupsOfWar posted:

Why do you assume they are unaccountable?

You guys do realize that Clinton backed up Blackwater for a while as well?

e:
I have to run to work. Will check back later.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Enigma89 posted:

You guys do realize that Clinton backed up Blackwater for a while as well?

e:
I have to run to work. Will check back later.

Well I imagine any entity that can get away with the rape and mutilation of one of it's employees makes them a tinge unaccountable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Enigma89 posted:

Because they are mercenaries that don't even have to be based in America, under Ron Paul's plan, and thus quite easily unaccountable to US law entirely.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

PupsOfWar posted:

I'm enjoying all the formerly-bernie-liking Greens on my facebook spontaneously abandoning him now that he is registered with a party

The Green Party is somehow more obsessed with ideological purity than the Tea Party.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Bernie was functionally a Democrat in every way, he just kept the I for symbolic reasons. The DSCC even followed their policy of trying to stop primary challenges of incumbent Senators with Bernie.

That is not the greens being ideologically pure, Bernie didn't change any positions, it is just them clinging to their "outsider" label and being pedantic and ineffective.

TheAmericanLeft.txt

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I guess we'll see who else declares in the Democratic primary. Were I American, I'd consider campaigning as hard and as to the left of Clinton as possible, just to try and gin up interest in those issues, before voting for her in the general.

It seems to "work" in the Republican primary, in that the hard right wing gets to weigh the scales and force their "moderate" candidates into a bunch of conservative positions, although they tend to go so hard that it actually damages their electability. The left is pretty far from being that influential though so it should probably be safe to press Hillary as much as possible and at most eke out a few progressive promises.

It'll actually be interesting to see how Hillary's platform has adapted with the times even before the primary starts shaping it, a lot of things have changed under Obama's tenure and topics like healthcare, gay marriage, net neutrality, negotiations with Iran and so on have altered the landscape. No one would say a Clinton can't be flexible to get elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
It's like we got our own personal Freeper in the thread given how detached from reality he is.

• Locked thread