Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the last thing anyone should suffer is your vapid opinions on race relations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

redeyes posted:

When you throw a mac at a wall at full force things like this can happen. I got asked if anything could be retrieved. lol

"Well, I already retrieved the magnets to myself."

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

rolleyes posted:

You heard folks: no discussion of anything remotely controversial outside of your own home in case someone gets offended. We should probably think of the children as well.

It's both professionalism and self preservation. If a rabidly pro-life boss overhears an employee talking about making a donation to Planned Parenthood, he's probably going to be thinking "well, gently caress that baby killer" the next time he has to lay someone off.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'll talk about the weather and sports, to a degree, and that's it.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I might talk about guns depending on how the other person feels about it; the south Bay Area is surprisingly filled with people who like guns.

poo poo pissing me off: coming in today, getting bombarded by a figurative million people in an hour, and being left with no energy or will to do anything else the rest of the day.

poo poo not pissing me off: I checked my vacation time and found I have 130 hours of PTO. I could use a week off. What do people do on vacations? I've never been on one before.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I just moved into a senior position at a major tech company and I'm still shocked people think it's a wise idea to discuss politics and religion.

Just don't and it doesn't have anything to do with your job. No, you're not a manager or a C-Level.

The second we leave the office there are no holds barred and I won't hesitate to tell you how awful everything conservative/libertarian is... And if you'd be interesting in volunteering for the Democratic Party

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Company wants me to go to Florida for a on site repair in two weeks, which is fine.

Company wants me to pay for everything up front (flight, food, car, hotel) and expense it.

Not going to happen; this was dropped on me at 7pm tonight. I will tell them to shove their expectations in the morning.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ratbert90 posted:

Company wants me to go to Florida for a on site repair in two weeks, which is fine.

Company wants me to pay for everything up front (flight, food, car, hotel) and expense it.

Not going to happen; this was dropped on me at 7pm tonight. I will tell them to shove their expectations in the morning.

Huh?

This is extremely common practice especially for small companies that don't have the resources to give out company credit cards.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

You have rewards credit cards, right? Assuming you've got the credit limit available and aren't planning to need a credit check before the statement comes out, and assuming your company is reliable about paying you back, this can work out in your favor to the tune of 1-5% of your trip costs. On top of that, you'll probably see the money before the associated credit card statement is even due. It does depend on you being able to front it, but if you can, it can be a good idea to do this even if you do have a company card.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. The only way it can bite you in the rear end is if you have reason to suspect your company of dragging their feet to pay you back. Paying for travel and whatnot and charging back the company is pretty much SOP. Milk it for rewards points and enjoy florida (it sucks).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was unemployed for 6 months before this and have only received two paychecks, and I don't have a credit card. :smith:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Casull posted:

What do people do on vacations? I've never been on one before.

Take your wife/gf/friend down to mexico with you. We have done some decent 7 night all inclusive trips for like 1200 a head including airfare.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ratbert90 posted:

I was unemployed for 6 months before this and have only received two paychecks, and I don't have a credit card. :smith:

That's rough. I wish I didn't have a work card. I'll take those points with a smile.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Interim director of a department called my lead demanding he lift a websense policy for this website she wants to hit up. I won't bother with a blow by blow, but she was very rude.

The hilarious thing is that he doesnt have access to that poo poo and was trying to tell her that, but she was in grab the nearest IT guy mode and complain that theyre important (recruiting) work cant possibly wait another night, as this was after 5.

I don't get why people think IT professionals are fungible and can do anything you can think up on the spot. There don't understand we're compartmentalized like anyone else. You don't complain to the xray tech about what the phlebotomist didn't do and demand he fix the issue. You don't go to accounts payable to get the bathroom cleaned. Why the hell do they think a desktop guy has any say in what server and network teams do?

She's been here for like 2 weeks and thinks because she had lunch with our director she can do whatever she wants. We already didn't care for her predecessor but she never did poo poo like that. This is a culture of amateur backstabbers, being aggressive won't fly. Can't wait till she pisses her whoke department off :allears:

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skooma512 posted:

I don't get why people think IT professionals are fungible and can do anything you can think up on the spot. There don't understand we're compartmentalized like anyone else. You don't complain to the xray tech about what the phlebotomist didn't do and demand he fix the issue. You don't go to accounts payable to get the bathroom cleaned. Why the hell do they think a desktop guy has any say in what server and network teams do?

Because most people don't know dick about computer technology. They have exactly two distinct experiences with computers: rote memorization of basic tasks on their laptop/desktop, and using apps on their smartphone. They have no concept of desktop vs. server vs. network. The world past their monitor is an impenetrable magic box.

They're not stupid. They simply have absolutely no frame of reference, no baseline, no foundation from which to draw conclusions or make extrapolations like, "maybe this guy isn't responsible for handling my problem" because the only category of problem they can conceive of is "computer." It's easy for people like us to lose perspective because we are immersed in this stuff, and have been for years if not most of our lives. But we always have to keep in mind that most people don't know poo poo about it, and we can't force them to enjoy learning the way we do.

That doesn't at all excuse the rudeness, though, gently caress that.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Che Delilas posted:

They're not stupid. They simply have absolutely no frame of reference, no baseline, no foundation from which to draw conclusions or make extrapolations like, "maybe this guy isn't responsible for handling my problem" because the only category of problem they can conceive of is "computer."

These are also the same people who violently refuse to learn anything about computers past that very same rote memorization. They also seem to be the same people who also refuse to learn anything that they can in any way shape or form claim to be 'not my job'. Add paper to the printer? Not my job. Read the error message? gently caress you, you come read it for me.

There is a fine line between 'doesn't understand, so show them' and 'learned helplessness', where no matter how many times you show them, they can't be assed to remember, so you get to do it for them, or risk them Infomercialling the printer so badly you need to buy a brand new one.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

These are also the same people who violently refuse to learn

Sure, this is often WHY they are ignorant, and that way of thinking is completely anathema to me and most other IT professionals I've ever known. But I've seen a lot of IT people get baffled over a non-technical person's ignorance of our field, and I think it helps to remind ourselves of the difference between our experiences and outlook, and theirs.

It's not gonna stop them from being willfully ignorant, but maybe it can help us to not be so :psyduck: when we encounter it. We just think differently.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

They're not stupid. They simply have absolutely no frame of reference, no baseline, no foundation from which to draw conclusions or make extrapolations like, "maybe this guy isn't responsible for handling my problem" because the only category of problem they can conceive of is "computer." It's easy for people like us to lose perspective because we are immersed in this stuff, and have been for years if not most of our lives. But we always have to keep in mind that most people don't know poo poo about it, and we can't force them to enjoy learning the way we do.

My problem with this idea is that I don't do this with any other industry. I know nothing about working in a bank or any financial organization but I don't walk in and demand the bank teller make a change to the escrow on my mortgage. I may ask them who I should talk to but I realize just because they share a building with other people they don't all do the same thing. I understood this as a teenager before I had any adult dealings with banks.

Or if you prefer a car analogy. I don't take my car to the quick lube place to have the radiator replaced.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
"I don't understand what the message "You have no money left" means, and it's not my goddamn job to interpret this poo poo! You are the one working in a bank, I don't know anything about money! Just fix it!"

"What do you mean "Fuel Empty"? What does that mean? Get my car running again so I can go to places, that's what it's for."

"What do you mean I have to work with hammers and nails and saws? I'm a carpenter, I build loving houses, I don't deal with that nerd poo poo!"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

n3rdal3rt posted:

My problem with this idea is that I don't do this with any other industry. I know nothing about working in a bank or any financial organization but I don't walk in and demand the bank teller make a change to the escrow on my mortgage.

I'm telling you right now that people do this kind of poo poo all the time. YOU don't do it because you like to learn about the things that affect your life, to understand them, at least a little bit. So do I. It's so ingrained in us that we don't even think about it, it just is.

Some people do not think this way, that's the point I'm trying to make. I'm not making an excuse for them, I find the willful ignorance abhorrent. I guess we could call that "stupid" after all, if you like. But the original question was, "why do people think IT people aren't specialized" and my response was "because they don't know poo poo."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"I don't have time to learn computers"

- A grown adult, whose job for the last 15 years has involved using a computer for eight hours a day.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sweevo posted:

"I don't have time to learn computers"

- A grown adult, whose job for the last 15 years has involved using a computer for eight hours a day.

"I understand that sanitary engineers have no need to learn computers either. Perhaps you'd be happier as one."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SolTerrasa posted:

You have rewards credit cards, right? Assuming you've got the credit limit available and aren't planning to need a credit check before the statement comes out, and assuming your company is reliable about paying you back, this can work out in your favor to the tune of 1-5% of your trip costs. On top of that, you'll probably see the money before the associated credit card statement is even due. It does depend on you being able to front it, but if you can, it can be a good idea to do this even if you do have a company card.

My old boss bought everything IT-related for the company on his personal credit card and got reimbursed. EVERYTHING.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Huh?

This is extremely common practice especially for small companies that don't have the resources to give out company credit cards.

I work for a small company and I don't allow this either. In 2015 it is very hard for even small companies to not be able to have company credit cards. If they don't they choose not to, not because they can't.

I haven't had to expense a thing in years and I am going to keep it that way. If I need to travel for work, my company is either going to pre-purchase my travel, cut me a check, or give me a company credit card. It has worked out pretty awesome so far.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Casull posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: I checked my vacation time and found I have 130 hours of PTO. I could use a week off. What do people do on vacations? I've never been on one before.

Depends on what you like to do. I'm a fan of staycations -- take a long weekend and catch up on poo poo around the house (or just spend it indoors on the couch watching TV). I'm trying to move away from that, so I'm taking a long weekend in a week or two and I have no plans. I think I'm just going to pack some clothes, get in my car, and drive. I hear the finger lakes in NYS are nice this time of year.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I've had two corporate cards. In both, I was ultimately responsible for paying the bill. As long as I filed my report it would get auto-magically paid, but if I didn't, or if i charged something not reimbursable, it was my bill and my credit on the line. I imagine if the company went belly-up I would have been on the hook too.

If that's normal, then just getting reimbursed on your own card isn't any worse.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I work for a small company and I don't allow this either. In 2015 it is very hard for even small companies to not be able to have company credit cards. If they don't they choose not to, not because they can't.

I haven't had to expense a thing in years and I am going to keep it that way. If I need to travel for work, my company is either going to pre-purchase my travel, cut me a check, or give me a company credit card. It has worked out pretty awesome so far.

The two jobs ago, when I was a working for a small consulting company (seven people), they had us expense everything. We didn't get paid back for months. It was awful. I'd fly all over the country and get hotels, meals, and the flights, all on my own. They routinely owned me thousands of dollars. Eventually I'd refuse to expense a trip unless they gave me a check for the cost before I bought everything. One of our engineers had to go to London on his own dime, last minute for two weeks. They owed him $10k for months. He was furious.

When I quit, they owed me around three grand. I eventually got it, about three months later, but they nickel and dimed a bunch out of it, saying they weren't valid expenses. I had worked the weekend between the two weeks notice I given, I came in on Saturday to assist them in transitioning a project I was working on as a courtesy. I expensed my tolls and parking coming into NYC. They didn't pay it since I have a monthly train pass, and I could have taken the train. Except this was right after Sandy, so the trains were running a really delayed schedule, and it'd have taken me maybe 2 hours each way, versus 30 minutes driving. The passive aggressive accounts guy sent me a snotty email saying no one asked me to drive, so they weren't going to pay the $100 bucks I expensed. It was BS.

Each time I had the funds to cover the bills, so I didn't have interest. I probably expensed maybe 20k a year. But I made it work for me, I got a really good reward card, and turned that into several really nice free vacations.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

I'm telling you right now that people do this kind of poo poo all the time. YOU don't do it because you like to learn about the things that affect your life, to understand them, at least a little bit. So do I. It's so ingrained in us that we don't even think about it, it just is.

Some people do not think this way, that's the point I'm trying to make. I'm not making an excuse for them, I find the willful ignorance abhorrent. I guess we could call that "stupid" after all, if you like. But the original question was, "why do people think IT people aren't specialized" and my response was "because they don't know poo poo."

Fair. I see your point.
I would consider not know or not understanding 'ignorance". I have no problem with ignorance, its a fact of life. The inability to understand or willful ignorance I would consider "stupidity" or "mental laziness" if stupidity is too harsh.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. The only way it can bite you in the rear end is if you have reason to suspect your company of dragging their feet to pay you back. Paying for travel and whatnot and charging back the company is pretty much SOP. Milk it for rewards points and enjoy florida (it sucks).

It is common because it makes the employee more responsible for expenditure, you become more aware of what you can expense or not and thus will not be so frivolous.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gounads posted:

I've had two corporate cards. In both, I was ultimately responsible for paying the bill. As long as I filed my report it would get auto-magically paid, but if I didn't, or if i charged something not reimbursable, it was my bill and my credit on the line. I imagine if the company went belly-up I would have been on the hook too.

If that's normal, then just getting reimbursed on your own card isn't any worse.

I am pretty sure I've read a few posts on the forums about people getting screwed with major expenses owed when a company has gone bust.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

n3rdal3rt posted:

Fair. I see your point.
I would consider not know or not understanding 'ignorance". I have no problem with ignorance, its a fact of life. The inability to understand or willful ignorance I would consider "stupidity" or "mental laziness" if stupidity is too harsh.

I believe Heinlein had it right: “Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

**EDIT**

Ooh, Heinlein had some good ones:

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

“You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.”

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 30, 2015

pyrotherm
Oct 2, 2006
:science: So, I see you have 11GB of emails on your PC, and you are getting close to your disk quota...

:downs: But I delete all my emails, there shouldn't be any in there!

:science: Oh, let me see then... (Finds 20k+ emails in the "Deleted Items" folder)

:science: You just need to empty your deleted items folder, like your recycle bin, and we'll be good

:downs: Will that get rid of all my emails?

:science: Well, since they are already in the trash, you don't care about them any more right?

:downs: NO! That's where I keep all my emails!

:science: :ughh:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I keep having people request that I call them back urgently, and when I do, they fail to answer because their phones were on silent. I have no idea how these people function.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pyrotherm posted:

:science: So, I see you have 11GB of emails on your PC, and you are getting close to your disk quota...

:downs: But I delete all my emails, there shouldn't be any in there!

:science: Oh, let me see then... (Finds 20k+ emails in the "Deleted Items" folder)

:science: You just need to empty your deleted items folder, like your recycle bin, and we'll be good

:downs: Will that get rid of all my emails?

:science: Well, since they are already in the trash, you don't care about them any more right?

More common than you'd like to think. I managed to break most people in the company of this by implementing a 3-day retention policy on deleted items, but those special snowflake exempt legal/C levels...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OAquinas posted:

More common than you'd like to think. I managed to break most people in the company of this by implementing a 3-day retention policy on deleted items, but those special snowflake exempt legal/C levels...

Oh, man, deleted items as a filing system always amused me.

Here's a great stories:

Me: Hey, you can't save 500GB of music on your work computer, in your shared folders, it's replicated to our DR site, and it's not something we want on our system.

Office Manager: OK, give me day to delete it

Me: Ok, I'll check back with you in a few days.

Later

Me: Hey, your Office Manager saved half a terabyte of music on her work PC. I told her to delete it.

Hedge Fund Manager: We told her to stop that, just go delete it right now.

Me: Wait, are you sure?

Hedge Fund Manager: Yes, go delete it right now. Tell her to talk to me if she's upset.

Me: Sure thing.

Later:

Office Manager: HEY SIR FAT JONY IVES where is all my music?

Me: Go talk to your manager.

Office Manager: You don't have the right to delete my stuff blah blah blah

Hedge Fund Manager: :smug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

OAquinas posted:

I had a woman ask if we could make subfolders in her deleted items so that she could organize by date and only really delete stuff that was old. I suggested that she just not delete stuff until when was ready to get rid of it and from her reaction it was obvious that she had never even considered that option.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a woman ask if we could make subfolders in her deleted items so that she could organize by date and only really delete stuff that was old. I suggested that she just not delete stuff until when was ready to get rid of it and from her reaction it was obvious that she had never even considered that option.

Did you blow her mind when you showed her the ability in Outlook to auto-trash emails older than a certain age?

rmacm
Nov 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Aye gently caress that...if I am travelling for work then it is on their dime. Flights and hotel paid for by them up front. I'll pay local public transport or taxis on a company card but no way will I pay for flights or a hotel to expense back and potentially have to wait weeks to recover the money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Me: Hey, you can't save 500GB of music on your work computer, in your shared folders, it's replicated to our DR site, and it's not something we want on our system.

One time I found out a users folder was getting bigger and bigger and bigger...

Turns out the guy was putting audio CD's in his computer to listen to at his desk, and Windows Media Player was configured to rip any disc you played. And it was saving to his home folder on the network. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

pyrotherm posted:

:science: *crumples up piece of paper and throws it in trash* Do you expect that to still be in the trash can next week?