Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
crossposting from the main 40K thread:

I just recently finished these:

magnetized weapons!

magnetized arms!

more magnetized arms!

swappable turret weapons

More pics on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TinyPlasticSpacemen (wordpress galleries can be a pain in the rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those are nice looking Eldar fightmans, though I wish the base rims had more solid coverage.

Here's some Trollblood Warders I just finished:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fyrbrand posted:

Those are nice looking Eldar fightmans, though I wish the base rims had more solid coverage.
Yeah I need to rework how I paint figures and bases. I usually glue the figure on the base and paint it up that way, but I recently got a bunch of corks off ebay so I'll start putting parts on paper clip wire and painting the bases separately.

Question for people that paint their bases separately: how do you handle gaps under the feet of models you put on the bases? Constant retouching, or just use CA glue to fill the gaps?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Great page, great mans

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SRM posted:

That only happens on gloss paints. So long as it's primer it probably won't be gloss. I use Rustoleum, Krylon, or whatever kind of primer for my minis. Details are only obscured if I'm being an idiot and laying the paint on way too thick.

There is a big difference between primer and paint+prime. Primer is designed to go on in a thin flat layer with good coverage, even thick primers like Rusto 2X and Gesso. Paint+Prime is designed to intentionally be thick and cover up minor imperfections so you can just use it to quickly repaint sections of your garage wall or a random bookshelf you bough on craigslist. Even in flat paint+prime mixtures the paint part of the mixture is usually a pretty thick gloss enamel and it will often repel water. You can use flat/matte enamel spray, and you can use flat/matte primer but you shouldn't use paint and prime basically.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Krushgroove, those are some slick looking Eldar. Great highlights on em.

Fyrbrand, I'm all bout those tartans. Angry Scottish mohawk trolls are the best.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pierzak posted:

Let me tell you about Imperator-class titans

Let me tell you about Apocalypse-class titans

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
How do I know if I'm worthy in the Emperor?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
One beep for yes, two for no.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Which was the stripper that also eats super glue? I got some unpainted warjacks second hand but they were never cleaned up before gluing (so many mold lines :gonk:)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Super Waffle posted:

Which was the stripper that also eats super glue?

I needed to read that twice. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Super Waffle posted:

I'm sure some of the ones at the Pink Pussycat in Reno huff glue, but I dunno about eating it. :v:

quote:

I got some unpainted warjacks second hand but they were never cleaned up before gluing (so many mold lines :gonk:)

In all seriousness: IIRC, Purple Power and/or Castrol Super Clean will help get rid of super glue (though you might also still have to freeze the models either before or after soaking them, in order to help make the glue more brittle).

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Super Waffle posted:

Which was the stripper that also eats super glue? I got some unpainted warjacks second hand but they were never cleaned up before gluing (so many mold lines :gonk:)

Castrol Super Clean

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If they're old metal jacks you can also use Pinesol or nail polish remover on them.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I think I remember reading somewhere that Dettol floor cleaner weakens superglue.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If they're old metal jacks you can also use Pinesol or nail polish remover on them.

This is the real answer. If they're metal, make with the plastic-melting poo poo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Skarsnik posted:

Great page, great mans

SRM posted:

Krushgroove, those are some slick looking Eldar. Great highlights on em.

Thanks! I hated doing the edge highlighting...and the guy I did those for wants an even bigger force done now! But hey it'll help pay for a trip to the States to visit my mom so 'needs must' as they say...

By the end of the weekend I'll have a Baneblade/Stormlord finished, I've been working on it for ages for a friend.

POST MORE PICTURES!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Super Waffle posted:

This is a sentence i had to read a few times.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Super Waffle posted:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Its me, I am the stripper that eats glue

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Here's what I've been working on the last few weeks. I can't get the pictures to reflect how good I think they look in real life, but oh well. I put in almost as much time on the bases as I did on painting, I'm really proud of how these turned out.

Click for huge.

Multi-purpose troops. Running them mostly as Purifiers, but also Strike Squads or Interceptors.

Librarians with relics and Draigo.

Terminator Troops

Dreadknights - fully magnetized.

Working on finishing 4 Doomglaive Pattern Dreadnoughts (I'll run them as normal dreads for the most part, I wanted four for CAD+Nemesis) and then have to paint the Stormraven and one more squad of Purifiers, and I'm done with this army.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Haven't posted anything I've been painting for a bit. so I figured I would show off some of what I've done since I started using an airbrush.

First attempt at weathering powder, zenithal, and a nice scenic base.

Sample of my current batch. I'm super proud of how the 1st wizard turned out. If there's anything small I can do to improve on things I would appreciate the feedback.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They look great... and mysteriously I now want a hamburger for lunch.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How do I do 10mm scale bases, or does anyone know where I can get 10mm scale bases at 28mm scale base prices?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

signalnoise posted:

How do I do 10mm scale bases, or does anyone know where I can get 10mm scale bases at 28mm scale base prices?

Where are you located?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Where are you located?

Atlanta, GA, USA

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Cross-posting from the oath thread!

Oath Complete

Okay, this month I almost bit off more than I could chew..... So get ready for several hundred British soldiers! This is an entire BEF 1914 division for Great War Spearhead.

The command staff, Howitzers, Engineers and Cavalry.

Three a batteries of 18pnders

One brigade of infantry, now I could take photos of the other two individually, but that wouldn't really show the scale.

ONE WHOLE DIVISION! (I will admit, there was a point in this where I was singing "Just keep flocking, Just keep flocking" to myself. Phew, Done now, all I need to do at some point is the Germans......

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

A Harbinger class Dropship with three magnetized Ravagers.

Here they are on their own, to aid counting.

The UCM have not been forgotten though, with four new Ravans - two are my black Ravens.

These are the spec op's Pretorians that go in them.

Finally, here we have some Woverines, the guns are interchangable, as after two layers of varnish they have a good fit.

Next month/Oath year, something a little more sane!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That's a great looking division, Grey. The basing seems like a bit of a pain, though. Did you trim the static grass, or just mash it flat? I need to finish basing some 40k epic minis that currently have a brown sandy base that looks a lot like yours, and I think adding some grass would really pep them up.

EDIT: Or is that the 6mm scale static grass?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 30, 2015

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

10mm blows my mind. I literally cannot even conceive how someone can paint on such a small level.

looks good

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

signalnoise posted:

What kind of 10mm bases?

The last order I placed was with Hurlbat, which is in the UK, but even with shipping it was a great deal for Warmaster compatible 10mm bases (25mm rounds and 20x40mm rectangles)

https://www.hurlbat.co.uk/

The other option is Litko, which has a larger selection, but was more expensive than Hurlbat.

http://www.litko.net/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

signalnoise posted:

Atlanta, GA, USA

No fablab for you, sorry.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

What kind of 10mm bases?

Resin molded, like Secret Weapon or Micro-Art. I hate making bases but I'm ok painting resin.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
In that case I am not sure, though you could go another route and get rollers like these or stamps or anything else textured like that and make the textures quickly out of greenstuff and cut to size and glue to a plastic or wood vanilla base.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Eesh, 45 euros for that. I'll figure out something. In other news Coal Black is a super cool color! Glad I asked for suggestions!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hangar18 minis has a coupon code right now for free shipping on photo backdrops. I have one that I'm very happy with. Nice way to save a few bucks on something that will up your photo game for minimal effort. Code is RCON2015, good through May 2nd.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Asked this in the Warmahordes thread but no answer. Is it normal for PP's pewter miniatures to have an odor? Because the Asphyxious I bought yesterday smells like gas from a stove right out of the package.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

An Angry Bug posted:

Asked this in the Warmahordes thread but no answer. Is it normal for PP's pewter miniatures to have an odor? Because the Asphyxious I bought yesterday smells like gas from a stove right out of the package.

Thats probably the oil-based mold release agent. Give it a good wash with soap and it should come off. Thats something you want to do with all metal models, it prevents your primer from sticking

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

krushgroove posted:

POST MORE PICTURES!
HAVE SOME PICTURES!

Crossposting some of my pics from The Oath Thread: (New season starts tomorrow if new people want to join us)
April's oath:

Stuff I oathed over the year:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Arcturas posted:

That's a great looking division, Grey. The basing seems like a bit of a pain, though. Did you trim the static grass, or just mash it flat? I need to finish basing some 40k epic minis that currently have a brown sandy base that looks a lot like yours, and I think adding some grass would really pep them up.

EDIT: Or is that the 6mm scale static grass?

6mm static grass - Basing can get a little tedious, but it looks good. I got the Baccus basing system, which makes it easy to get everything in scale and done easy - and it works well for the 10mm of Dropzone commander.

w00tmonger posted:

10mm blows my mind. I literally cannot even conceive how someone can paint on such a small level.

looks good

You should try 6mm, like the British....

Really, you just have to realize you are going for a certain level of detail, Hawk's Dropzone stuff is well detailed, but it'll never compare to a 28mm figure. That said, your knocking out a lot more figures, so you go for suggestion rather than actual detail. (That and a good fine brush.)

Seriously, everyone should try 10mm/6mm at some point, its not that hard as long as you have a steady hand, and the feeling of having a massive army is a great one.