Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Omnishambles posted:

This is an obviously apparent question but I have to ask. How "easy" is it for one to break one's spine. My gut reaction is it's 'really, really hard' to 'neigh impossible'. At least, in a van.

I am pretty sure even approaching the amount of force necessary for he himself to do it he'd probably knock himself unconscious first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When he's been arrested and beaten for no reason, the black man's natural response is to flail about madly in order to injure himself. He does this because his life's purpose is, above all else, to inconvenience the white man and blame him for things, and when injured and in handcuffs he has no other way to reach this goal.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Like, I'm pretty sure the only way he'd be able to sever his own spine in the situation he was in is somehow forcing the back door of the transport open and throwing himself onto a curb while it was travelling at high speed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even Geraldo rejected the "suicide by van wall" theory from the Washington Post as an absurd premise.

Which is why he went with "asthma." Geraldo is practical.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Someone just lock Geraldo in the vault and throw away the key.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

STAC Goat posted:

Geraldo just said that he thinks Freddie Gray had an asthmatic seizure which caused him to thrash around in the van and break his neck.

loving what

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Omnishambles posted:

This is an obviously apparent question but I have to ask. How "easy" is it for one to break one's spine. My gut reaction is it's 'really, really hard' to 'neigh impossible'. At least, in a van.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-03-26/news/bal-md.johnson26mar26_1_officers-johnson-seat-belt

It's pretty difficult to do it to yourself, but it's not that hard for a cop to do it for you.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lemming posted:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-03-26/news/bal-md.johnson26mar26_1_officers-johnson-seat-belt

It's pretty difficult to do it to yourself, but it's not that hard for a cop to do it for you.

How hospitable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was it his back or like his neck? Cuz that doesn't seem to hard to gently caress up.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1stGear posted:

loving what

I once saw a movie once where a girl possessed by demons seized so hard she broke her spine.

I then based my entire life view around this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FNC reporter Leland Vittert was "attacked"* by Al Sharpton and the Mayor when he was "just asking questions." I expect this will get a lot of play on Fox News as the day goes on. I'm sure Hannity won't stand for this abuse of his top bitch who does all his dirty work this week since Sean ain't going anywhere near Baltimore.

*Dude was chasing them asking questions, Sharpton kept saying "wait for the press conference", some aid/bodyguard/whatever put himself in between the Mayor and Vittert, and Vittert acted like he had just been shot.

I need to stop watching mid-day Fox News. I can't help myself.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Omnishambles posted:

There was a neurosurgeon, a spine surgeon, from Baltimore (not someone who took care of Gray) being interviewed about this topic one one of the cable news networks, either CNN or MSNBC. While he didn't want to speculate on the specific case, he did note that of the thousands of spinal cord injuries in the neck every year, the huge majority are motor vehicle accidents, falls and trauma inflicted by others. He said documented cases of people inflicting a paralyzing spinal cord injury on themselves was extremely rare and he could only think of one case report from Japan from the early 2000s, not that there aren't more that aren't reported, but that the incidence of known cases is vanishingly rare.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

He didn't self-inflict a fatal neck injury on himself and everyone knows it. Incidents similar to Freddie Gray's occurred in Baltimore years ago. Nickel rides are an "unsanctioned technique" BPD has used numerous times.

quote:

The most sensational case in Baltimore involved Johnson, a 43-year-old plumber who was arrested for public urination. He was handcuffed and placed in a transport van in good health. He emerged a quadriplegic.

Before he died, he complained to his doctor that he was not buckled into his seat when the police van "made a sharp turn," sending him "face first" into the interior of the van, court records state. He was "violently thrown around the back of the vehicle as [police officers] drove in an aggressive fashion, taking turns so as to injure [Johnson] who was helplessly cuffed," the lawsuit stated.

Johnson, who suffered a fractured neck, died two weeks later of pneumonia caused by his paralysis. His family sued, and a jury agreed that three officers were negligent in the way they treated Johnson. The initial $7.4 million award, however, was eventually reduced to $219,000 by Maryland's Court of Special Appeals because state law caps such payouts.

In 1997, Alston became paralyzed from the neck down in a van after being arrested. Alston said he told the officers he couldn't breathe, but they refused to give him an inhaler for asthma.

Officers said the 32-year-old repeatedly rammed his head into the side of the van, freed himself from a seat belt and thrashed some more.

Alston sued, and at the trial, Dr. Adrian Barbul, a Sinai Hospital trauma surgeon, testified that Alston had no external head injuries when he was taken to the emergency room.

They even used the same "he threw himself around and broke his own neck" story 19 years ago.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zwabu posted:

There was a neurosurgeon, a spine surgeon, from Baltimore (not someone who took care of Gray) being interviewed about this topic one one of the cable news networks, either CNN or MSNBC. While he didn't want to speculate on the specific case, he did note that of the thousands of spinal cord injuries in the neck every year, the huge majority are motor vehicle accidents, falls and trauma inflicted by others. He said documented cases of people inflicting a paralyzing spinal cord injury on themselves was extremely rare and he could only think of one case report from Japan from the early 2000s, not that there aren't more that aren't reported, but that the incidence of known cases is vanishingly rare.

"So you're saying there's a chance?"

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He didn't self-inflict a fatal neck injury on himself and everyone knows it. Incidents similar to Freddie Gray's occurred in Baltimore years ago. Nickel rides are an "unsanctioned technique" BPD has used numerous times.

That's one of the frustrating aspects of this. We know it's bullshit, the police know we know it's bullshit, in their hearts the police defenders know it's bullshit. However the system is set up so that it doesn't matter. It would almost be refreshing to just have them admit to being killers and walking off scot free than insulting our intelligence.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 30, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
What I find really incredible is that these people completely and totally ignore the fact that "so poorly restrained that a spine break is possible" would be an incredible amount of negligence. So even if the police didn't outright murder the guy they're still on the hook for it no matter what.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I find really incredible is that these people completely and totally ignore the fact that "so poorly restrained that a spine break is possible" would be an incredible amount of negligence. So even if the police didn't outright murder the guy they're still on the hook for it no matter what.

Well that's just an oppsie. No malicious intent there, you see, so you shouldn't be too harsh on those police officers. I'm sure they've learned their lesson. You know, this time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They are coming at this from any angle that might exonerate the police since they desperately need to believe that it wasn't their fault and also the guy deserved it. The breaking his own spine story is obviously absurd, but so was John Crawford pointing a bb gun at children in a walmart or Mike Brown charging at an armed police officer. It doesn't matter to our legal system how absolutely unbelievable a story about killing an unarmed black man is if you are the police, you just need one. Anything that lets them have piece of mind that American police aren't maniacs is all they need and if an "anonymous source within the department" had reason to believe a unicorn had stepped on his neck and then flown off before the cops could intervene they would latch on to that and the grand jury would fail to indict.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They even used the same "he threw himself around and broke his own neck" story 19 years ago.

Tort reform works.

(loving hang every single last one of these motherfuckers)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What is galling to me is the idea that the police don't even owe Gray's family or the public any kind of story about what happened. You apprehend a guy and take him into custody. By the time you arrive at the station he's so badly injured he's near death, and he in fact dies in the hospital.

You basically roll up and dump the guy's body in front of the hospital like gang bangers would, and you have nothing at all to say about what happened?

I understand individuals have rights to remain silent etc. and to plead the 5th, but do public institutions like the police, entrusted with maintaining public safety, have that right?

It's like if I took a patient back to surgery for a routine hernia repair, and brought the patient back to the family dead and they also happen to be missing their head and a hand, and their legs are broken. When asked for an explanation of what happened I say "I can't comment about that, there's an ongoing investigation that may take months to complete. You'll have to get a statement from my lawyer in the meantime".

The officers who detained Gray did in fact make statements to police on the day of the incident, at least 5 out of 6 of them did, I believe. Even if their statements turn out to be total bullshit, why is the public and Gray's family not entitled to hear the account of just what the gently caress happened?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Geraldo in the act of slithering.
https://www.facebook.com/benjaminjhancock/videos/10153188750410590/?fref=nf

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

a black man can raise his voice and you dont need to be intimidated

that exact problem is what drives fox news lmao

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's hard to be graceful in the face of confrontation, but the way he just do-si-dos around aimlessly with a forced grin on his face is hilarious. You can practically see the thought process, "I can ignore this guy, just pretend this isn't happening and walk away and oh god I may have to acknowledge this guy"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zwabu posted:

I understand individuals have rights to remain silent etc. and to plead the 5th, but do public institutions like the police, entrusted with maintaining public safety, have that right?
[...]
The officers who detained Gray did in fact make statements to police on the day of the incident, at least 5 out of 6 of them did, I believe.
Yes, they have that right, or at least the BPD does. That's the reason that sixth guy you mentioned was able to slink away scot-free.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God bless that clip because Fox News has been airing a 5 second clip that makes Geraldo look like a strong guy standing up to an angry black man. Its awesome to see the 2 minutes the guy was eloquent and thoughtful while Geraldo ran away.

It sort of brings me some joy to know that Geraldo's life sucks right now. I just watched him suck wind trying to keep up with Carmelo Anthony in a march and barely able to get out his "What do you think of me and Fox News being here?" to the person who doesn't want to talk to him. From watching the way he and Leland Vittert is interacting with Baltimore residents I think Fox News may be more hated than the BPD.

Fox News is super obvious when you watch them for a few hours. Every host is hitting the same obvious note that makes it clear what their approach on this story will be. They seem to have given up on arguing that Freddie's death wasn't wrong but much like they pushed Eric Gardner from "police abuse" to "the evils of taxing cigarettes" they're trying to move the focus completely off the BPD and onto the Mayor and "decades" of Democrat policy failing the people. Welfare killed Freddie Gray.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's only easy to do if you've got like a motorcycle and a death wish, or you strategically weakened a structure's supports and got in the right position.

Or if you sneeze aggressively in the back of a police vehicle.

STAC Goat posted:

FNC reporter Leland Vittert was "attacked"* by Al Sharpton and the Mayor when he was "just asking questions." I expect this will get a lot of play on Fox News as the day goes on. I'm sure Hannity won't stand for this abuse of his top bitch who does all his dirty work this week since Sean ain't going anywhere near Baltimore.

*Dude was chasing them asking questions, Sharpton kept saying "wait for the press conference", some aid/bodyguard/whatever put himself in between the Mayor and Vittert, and Vittert acted like he had just been shot.

I need to stop watching mid-day Fox News. I can't help myself.

I hope it's half as good as Crowder's "assault" at the hands of union thugs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sir Tonk posted:

I hope it's half as good as Crowder's "assault" at the hands of union thugs.

0:48 for the shocking moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugcPnlAQMDU

Also, there was an awesome moment on The Five when Geraldo interviewed Russell Simmons only to realize it was just a different black guy.

Watching Geraldo confuse black people for other black people is almost as fun as watching him try to talk to people and have them ignore him and want nothing to do with him and Fox News.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 30, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

God bless that clip because Fox News has been airing a 5 second clip that makes Geraldo look like a strong guy standing up to an angry black man. Its awesome to see the 2 minutes the guy was eloquent and thoughtful while Geraldo ran away.

Exactly. I love how once the FOX camera was on Geraldo suddenly became a tough guy.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yes hello I am an Imgur/redditor and I can't get enough of that hot hot police cock mmmnnnrgrrglgrgllgllll

also why can't the blacks just pull themselves together instead asking for it by being so uppity all the time??

http://imgur.com/gallery/VATK187/comment/406951224/1

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

He was so ready to get in trouble and make a scene. "WOAH WOAH WOAH!" when the guy lightly pushes him away.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know guys. I saw the Joker break his own spine in The Dark Knight Returns in order to frame Batman. And that way back in 1996. Self spine breaking advances have surely been made.

Makes you think.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whoa

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

0:48 for the shocking moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugcPnlAQMDU

Also, there was an awesome moment on The Five when Geraldo interviewed Russell Simmons only to realize it was just a different black guy.

Watching Geraldo confuse black people for other black people is almost as fun as watching him try to talk to people and have them ignore him and want nothing to do with him and Fox News.

That was close, he almost caught the black :sharpton:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Holy poo poo he went into DAMAGE CONTROL mode in a second.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The best part about that Geraldo thing is I just realized that happened Wednesday night and I was watching. Hannity came on and Geraldo was trying to get away from that guy to interview a State Senator and the crowd was going crazy against him telling him to leave. Geraldo takes the Senator a few feet away and starts his interview and the first thing she says is "You need to leave because you're inciting things." After Geraldo and Hannity argue with her for a bit Geraldo works his way up to the police line as they start to march forward.

Then Hannity starts talking so I flip to Chris Hayes. Hayes is there too but he's on the other side of the crowd. He says "Part of the problem is that there's a ton of media here and when the lights go on people get excited and want to be heard. Just a few minutes ago there was some kind of scuffle when one of the media guys fought his way up to the police line and caused a stir."

Chris didn't know he was talking about Geraldo, but I did. And now I know what preceded it where Geraldo got clowned.

But you're not an agitator, Geraldo. That's preposterous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Megyn Kelly has to be the biggest race baiter on TV. She loves pulling the "so-and-so is African American so race can't be a factor" card. She just pulled that unprovoked while interviewing one of the Gray family lawyers and he pushed back against it and what followed was this laborious exchange that made me hate Kelly so much. To paraphrase.

Kelly: When this is all done if they choose not to press charges will the Gray family accept that?
Lawyer: The only thing the Gray family will accept is an impartial and fair investigation. The Baltimore police department can't investigate impartially so we hope the Department of Justice will.
Kelly: But the Baltimore prosecutor is African American so that takes race out of the factor.
Lawyer: I don't see what that has to do with anything.
Kelly: Well in Ferguson people told us that a white prosector and a black victim was part of the problem so I'm just removing race from the issue. Its an African American prosector, an African American attorney general, and an African American mayor. But you said race isn't a factor so that's good.
Lawyer: I didn't say that race wasn't a factor. Black and brown citizens are statistically more victimized by police so race is a factor.
Kelly: But you just said race wasn't a factor. Now you're changing your mind?
Lawyer: I never said that. You said the prosecutor was African American and I said that didn't matter.
Kelly: But she's African American so that should take the race factor out of her decision.
Lawyer: The only important thing about her investigation is if its full and impartial and the only way we can judge that is with information and we don't have any information right now.
Kelly: So if the prosecutor chooses not to press charges will you accept that or not?
Lawyer: I can't answer that because we have none of the necessary information about the investigation.
Kelly: So you won't say now that you will accept the findings? I'm giving you a chance to get on the record and prove yourself but you're not going to take that.
Lawyer: I can't tell you how I'll feel about an investigation I know nothing about.
Kelly: You want wiggle room and that's going to hurt you and the message of your protests. Its too bad. I'm just telling you the way it is. But I have to run.

I poured a drink and then came here to vent. I can't tell if I'm angrier about "A black person is involved so race can't be a factor" or "You have to swear your faith in the system or else your opinion doesn't count."

Of course I spent the whole day home sick watching Fox News so I did this to myself.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Kelly: You want wiggle room and that's going to hurt you and the message of your protests. Its too bad.

Yyyeah, it's too bad FOX viewers won't support the message of the protests because of "wiggle room" as opposed to, you know, their inherent bigotry. Concern troll much Megyn?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I like how she casually slips in "your" protests.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Kelly: You want wiggle room and that's going to hurt you and the message of your protests. Its too bad. I'm just telling you the way it is. But I have to run.

She seriously said this? Jesus what a condescending moron.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Darkman Fanpage posted:

She seriously said this? Jesus what a condescending moron.

He said he's paraphrasing so maybe not exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Conservatives don't understand institutional racism vs individual racism. Also substitute sexism, homophobia, and so forth.