Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prescription Combs posted:

PIN + Token, good sir.

But what would you use for a token? Good luck getting everyone to remember to lug around a keyfob/keycard/subdermal implant. You know that everyone else will just log in for the people who forgot their details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

In order to validate access, you must submit a blood test showing the correct BAC for an IT professional at work.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

But what would you use for a token? Good luck getting everyone to remember to lug around a keyfob/keycard/subdermal implant. You know that everyone else will just log in for the people who forgot their details.

It's not hard. 6000+ employees do it where I work :shrug:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prescription Combs posted:

It's not hard. 6000+ employees do it where I work :shrug:

But that would require people to chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange the way they do things. :qq:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

In order to validate access, you must submit a blood test showing the correct BAC for an IT professional at work.

This is basically what they did in Gattaca.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

stubblyhead posted:

This is basically what they did in Gattaca.

I would support Gattica if they required me to be drunk at work....

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I took that typing test on my ultrabook which has a pretty crappy keyboard - 456 cpm / 91 wpm... jikes. I thought it'd be lower :haw:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

411/82 with the crappy (well, not terrible, but not great) type cover on my SP3. I'd have scored higher had the fury of my fingers not generated a very dense cheeto-dust cloud that impaired my vision.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 30, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Smug as you might be, the CPM counts every keypress you make, whereas the WPM counts the completed words, so you made a ton of errors with relatively few completed words. Suck on that. :smaug:

If you read the FAQ, they explain how they come up with everything and why they do the test they way that they do. Basically, they use simple words because it's a test of typing speed and proficiency, not a reading and typing test. So you made some mistakes, but probably flew through the words otherwise.
I missed three words. An acceptable error rate.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

In my defense, the first PC game I ever played was Wolfenstein 3D, in my dad's lap, at the tender age of six. :v:
Back in the day, my preferred way to play was keyboard only. In MY defense, mice weren't really a thing at the time.

When I graduated to mouse and keyboard, it was mouse + arrow keys well into the 90s.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

neogeo0823 posted:

But that would require people to chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange the way they do things. :qq:

A guy got uppity because I uninstalled some face recognition program on his PC to use for login, trying to get a rise out of me I told him to stop whining and that his mug isn't a good enough method for account verification.

Quote posted:

RE: Typing speed

Once upon a time I had a data entry job at a postal company, once hot-desking I was sat next to some dopey looking dude who did the whole slowly find and peck thing; but with enough force to shake the table with every key press. :stonk:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

We use smartcards here for like everything and it's actually great. Those issues are mitigated by the fact that our computers lock when you pull the card and also that you can't get into your mailbox, or the building, or the base without it.

I even just wrote a plugin for our Remedy ticketing system to allow smartcard login. Only having to remember one 6 digit PIN for everything is cool.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 30, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

432/85, no misses. Could have been faster in keypresses per minute, but my fingers insisted on going back and fixing where I'd hosed up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

two mistakes

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ilkhan posted:

The part that always pisses me off are the folks who click the login button instead if just hitting enter.
:wtf:

The worst is that these same people will occasionally get confused and start hitting the "switch user" button and submit ticket because their password stopped working.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Eonwe posted:

two mistakes

I was just about to brag about my 106 you motherfucker

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The worst is that these same people will occasionally get confused and start hitting the "switch user" button and submit ticket because their password stopped working.

God drat that loving switch user button being centered and bigger than the completely unlabeled login arrow button. I completely understand the confusion, but people still do it when I know they've had Win7 for 4 years.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Smart phone? Or even a dumbphone that can get a text message.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I was just about to brag about my 106 you motherfucker

Same, 107 with no mistakes. I've seen some people who type so fast that they put me to shame, though.

I am kind of annoyed that they basically just picked random words; random phrases or sentences would have been a lot easier. I found myself actually pausing on each word to figure out what the hell I was typing here :psyduck:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I use only single character variable names to maximize my WPM when I'm in a mad coding sesh

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

An Angry Bug posted:

Was that the one where you trapped cats to turn them into cheese?
Yup.
I actually found a remake of it a few months ago, but the coding sucked and it was slow. :(

Your score: 340 CPM (that is 68 WPM)
Your score beats or equals 88.91% of all.
In reality, you typed 373 CPM, but you made 7 mistakes (out of 68 words), which were not counted in the corrected scores.
Your mistakes were:
Instead of "course", you typed "coiurse".
Instead of "speed", you typed "sped".
Instead of "was", you typed "were".
Instead of "port", you typed "poor".
Instead of "own", you typed "won".
Instead of "correct", you typed "correc".
Instead of "by", you typed "byu".
I advise you to take a 2 minute break now.

It'd be nice if they were real sentences.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 30, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

Stop quantifying it. Help desk is not your goddamned job.

The CFO thinks otherwise - hence why the HR person (we only have one) and my manager are unhappy.

He basically runs things, the only way I can think of getting a good real argument that he'd have to listen to and consider would be thinking like The Business. This is in the event that he doesn't give a drat for decent IT best practices, and the fact that it's a tight balance between "I signed on to do sysadmin, not helpdesk, which is a pretty serious emotional drain" and "hire a helpdesk guy or you're hiring for a sysadmin who's willing to do helpdesk."

If they boost my income to a ridiculous number - as in something like 80% of the helpdesk guy's salary in addition to mine - with extra vaycay time and an annual retention bonus in addition to any companywide bonus, then I'd be willing to do it. Given that the CFO shot down $2000 for AD auditing software, I think that if I ask for that they'll either laugh at me or terminate me, but that's kinda the minimum I'd need to deal with helpdesk as part of my day-to-day, doubly so if we grow in our new space.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

RFC2324 posted:

Computer professionals don't seem to use the whole home keys system much, most of us I have met were high speed hunt and peckers. We are paid to think, not type. If they want a typist, they can hire a secretary.

Pretty much. I don't need to look at a keyboard to type, but I probably have a pretty high error rate from day to day just from my fingers not being quite where I thought they were. Came out at 87 wpm on that test with 4 mistakes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm usually at only 110 or so, the problem with that test is there is no punctuation, capitals, or numbers...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MJP posted:

I am starting to be worried that I can't justify the need to have a helpdesk guy if I can legitimately handle the load.

You always need a helpdesk guy.

neogeo0823 posted:

I never learned to type properly. I took classes in elementary school, but my brain just doesn't process the method right or something. I hunt/peck with my middle fingers and sometimes my ring finger, and I tend to hit shift with my ring or pinky finger and then whatever button with my first finger. I'm weird like that. I can also type decently fast, and while not looking at the keyboard.

I do this too. I used to type "right" and then my wrists started hurting and going numb, so I adjusted. Also, either I'm faster or it just feels faster on a mechanical.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MJP posted:

The CFO thinks otherwise - hence why the HR person (we only have one) and my manager are unhappy.

He basically runs things, the only way I can think of getting a good real argument that he'd have to listen to and consider would be thinking like The Business. This is in the event that he doesn't give a drat for decent IT best practices, and the fact that it's a tight balance between "I signed on to do sysadmin, not helpdesk, which is a pretty serious emotional drain" and "hire a helpdesk guy or you're hiring for a sysadmin who's willing to do helpdesk."

If they boost my income to a ridiculous number - as in something like 80% of the helpdesk guy's salary in addition to mine - with extra vaycay time and an annual retention bonus in addition to any companywide bonus, then I'd be willing to do it. Given that the CFO shot down $2000 for AD auditing software, I think that if I ask for that they'll either laugh at me or terminate me, but that's kinda the minimum I'd need to deal with helpdesk as part of my day-to-day, doubly so if we grow in our new space.

Polish dat resume

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

You always need a helpdesk guy.

I do this too. I used to type "right" and then my wrists started hurting and going numb, so I adjusted. Also, either I'm faster or it just feels faster on a mechanical.

go3 posted:

Polish dat resume

It's polished and circulating. The worst part? I really like this company, I really like my boss, I really respect the CEO. He just hired a douchebag CFO consultant to grow the business. Except if you plan on increasing headcount of said business, you really want an IT staff able to support users as well as execute projects separately.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MJP posted:

It's polished and circulating. The worst part? I really like this company, I really like my boss, I really respect the CEO. He just hired a douchebag CFO consultant to grow the business. Except if you plan on increasing headcount of said business, you really want an IT staff able to support users as well as execute projects separately.

He may be a great guy but if he's letting poo poo like this go down then he's probably not as fantastic a CEO as he or you think he is. If you're in any position of authority, you can't just be a nice guy and good at your job, you have to be able to pick people who are also good at their jobs and be able to lay down the law if it turns out they're not.

That said, if you really want to stay at the company for everyoen who's not your CFO and don't want to skimp on the helpdesk tickets, go into malicious compliance/logging mode. Sit down and figure out your hourly wage, figure out your current sysadmin projects, and then drop everything to deal with helpdesk tickets and calculate exactly how much time you're spending a day doing that instead of your normal work.

Then go talk to your boss, tell him that your sysadmin projects are X hours behind schedule because you spent X hours dealing with helpdesk, and the company is literally frittering away $x*wage by paying you to do something you're way too overqualified to be doing.

While people can be assholes about you "not being willing to expand your job duties", being able to put a price tag on the amount of money they're wasting by not taking your suggestions usually does the trick.

(Obviously this only works if you have sysadmin duties that are falling by the wayside, it's a little harder to convince them they're wasting money if you're spending 4 hours a day on SA :v:)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Asylum posted:

He may be a great guy but if he's letting poo poo like this go down then he's probably not as fantastic a CEO as he or you think he is. If you're in any position of authority, you can't just be a nice guy and good at your job, you have to be able to pick people who are also good at their jobs and be able to lay down the law if it turns out they're not.

That said, if you really want to stay at the company for everyoen who's not your CFO and don't want to skimp on the helpdesk tickets, go into malicious compliance/logging mode. Sit down and figure out your hourly wage, figure out your current sysadmin projects, and then drop everything to deal with helpdesk tickets and calculate exactly how much they're paying you to deal with that.

Then go talk to your boss, tell him that your sysadmin projects are X hours behind schedule because you spent X hours dealing with helpdesk, and the company is literally frittering away $x*wage by paying you to do something you're way to overqualified to be doing.

While people can be assholes about you "not being willing to expand your job duties", being able to put a price tag on the amount of money they're wasting by not taking your suggestions usually does the trick.

(Obviously this only works if you have sysadmin duties that are falling by the wayside, it's a little harder to convince them they're wasting money if you're spending 4 hours a day on SA :v:)

Yeah, the worst part is that I'm on par so far. Granted, we'll be moving five floors down into a bigger space to allow more growth in about three months and I'm going to be doing much more than, and the $X/hr spent on helpdesk stuff will resonate more, but in a perfect world the CFO would realize best practices are called "best practices" and not "acceptable for cost-cutting practices" for very real reasons.

The CEO has my respect because he's actually doing the work of the company - talking to truckers and clients, arranging stuff, about 70% of the time. My guess is he's delegated so much to the CFO because his actual time to run the company is so very limited.

I don't love this company enough to keep being helpdesk a second longer than I have to, great boss/CEO or no great boss/CEO.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

Yeah, the worst part is that I'm on par so far. Granted, we'll be moving five floors down into a bigger space to allow more growth in about three months and I'm going to be doing much more than, and the $X/hr spent on helpdesk stuff will resonate more, but in a perfect world the CFO would realize best practices are called "best practices" and not "acceptable for cost-cutting practices" for very real reasons.

The CEO has my respect because he's actually doing the work of the company - talking to truckers and clients, arranging stuff, about 70% of the time. My guess is he's delegated so much to the CFO because his actual time to run the company is so very limited.

I don't love this company enough to keep being helpdesk a second longer than I have to, great boss/CEO or no great boss/CEO.

Phrase it like this:

"You wouldn't ask your dispatcher to also be your receptionist, and also in charge of fueling your trucks, right? Even though there's probably enough time because each part is so small, when everything happens at the same time, suddenly everything is very wrong."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

:shepface: I need to go outside more often.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I am thinking that if you do a good enough job at helpdesk, they will hire a sysadmin on the cheap, or contract out sysadmin work so you will have more time to perform your helpdesk duties.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MJP posted:

I think you just proved his point re: not being a great CEO. A CEO's job is to run the company.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I am thinking that if you do a good enough job at helpdesk, they will hire a sysadmin on the cheap, or contract out sysadmin work so you will have more time to perform your helpdesk duties.

Why do that when you get a sysadmin and helpdesk all in one. Start worrying when they start dropping cleaning supplies in your office.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd probably read through "Time Management for Systems Administrators" for some inspiration on why you need help desk.

First, you need someone playing defense for you to ensure that you can accomplish sensitive work without interruption. You don't really need that 100% of the time but if you are "In the zone" at peak productivity, you don't want to lose that to reset a voicemail password. Similarly, if you are working on a task where mistakes are dangerous, you don't want to start and stop several times.

Second, you need to reduce your workload to 70%. That's the sweet spot. The remaining 30% isn't for goofing off, but it can be used for training, research, documentation etc.

The reason 70% is important is that if you work more than that, emergencies can easily overload your capabilities which can create huge delays. It can put you in a position where you're falling further and further behind as you get bogged down in emergency after emergency as you start missing deadlines.

Third, if you get hit by a bus (get offered better job elsewhere) your company is screwed on both fronts. A helpdesk tech might be able to keep things afloat while they search for a replacement.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, as much as I like this place, you guys have very real points. I'm trying not to be a whiny employee about it, just keeping my count of undocumented helpdesk work in hopes it proves worthwhile, and preparing to make an exit if not. I don't hold any illusions about my job being my life, thankfully, so hopefully I'm avoiding being a goon in a well.

Just kinda sucks. I like being the sysadmin for smaller companies. Anything that hasn't been Indian recruiter mismatch spam has either been giant corporations, banks that are lovely commute (I'm in northern NJ, but on a train line that isn't very well served and requires a transfer to get to NYC and as such the thought of train, train, then subway makes for an awful commute), or requiring more Cisco than I know and could conceivably fake.

At least I've got three MCSAs and a VCP - that'll get me something somewhere, and if they shoot down my request for a $30k boost I'll hopefully get enough to make it through while I search.

I just hope the CFO comes to his senses.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Multiple complaints came in.

This is a small station. We have around 50 or so employees, so a lot of people multitask. I'm sure you are all familiar with the notion that if it doesn't fit another department, it just gets dumped onto the IT guy. So, not only am I IT/Engineering, but I'm also Facilities, Security, Handyman, Gopher, Grunt, etc...

Anyways, back to the problem at hand. A while back the garbage disposal in our break room went tits up when someone decided to clean out the fridge and, rather than throw anything away, decided to shove every possible molecule of leftover food down the disposal without ever turning it on. (I think I posted about this a while back where I found a knife, a fork, a rag, and a bunch of rice and beans in it)

Solution: buy a new garbage disposal. Except, that costs a non-zero amount of money and the request was denied by my hoarding, penny-pinching supervisor.

New solution: ignore the problem and put up a sign that says "Garbage disposal broken, don't put anything other than liquids down the drain."

So, now the side of the sink with the busted disposal isn't draining. I've had no less than 12 people come let me know this today. I checked on it, and the culprit was an appreciable amount of black beans clogging up the works.

Even I have my limits. I'm absolutely having nothing to do with this. If some dumb gently caress can't read a giant sign literally right in front of their face telling them not to put food down the drain while the stuff countless beans down there, I'm not wasting a single minute of my life fixing their mistake.

Every time someone comes to tell me about it, I just shrug and say, "Wow, that sucks, huh?"

Call a loving plumber, I'm not fishing some idiot's food out of a broken budget disposal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
WIth my no-look modified hunt-and-peck method I still managed 72 wpm on that test and that's good enough for me. I taught myself to type on an old Smith-Corona electric and by the time I had access to a genuine typing class it was too late. I could never switch over to the proper method.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Even I have my limits. I'm absolutely having nothing to do with this. If some dumb gently caress can't read a giant sign literally right in front of their face telling them not to put food down the drain while the stuff countless beans down there, I'm not wasting a single minute of my life fixing their mistake.

Every time someone comes to tell me about it, I just shrug and say, "Wow, that sucks, huh?"

Call a loving plumber, I'm not fishing some idiot's food out of a broken budget disposal.

It is amazing what IT can get stuck with. Case in point a few years back a company I worked for wanted to put up a bunch of christmas lights. They must've thought to themselves "Hey it has a plug, give it to IT". I messed with it a bit and then untangled some cords and thought gently caress this! I have better things to do and actual work to be done. I contracted the work out to some day laborers and billed it to the company. I was at the point that I didnt really care if I got yelled at and didnt see anyway I could be fired for it.

And nothing happened! The laborers put up the lights, accounting paid the bill and no shits were given. Felt good, wasting the companies money like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think that a lot of people just have no loving idea who to contact when anything goes wrong and the only number in front of them is the helpdesk, and the helpdesk probably knows who to call, so I guess I'll just call them.

I made the mistake once of taking an earring someone had found and sending out an email about it, immediately turning the helpdesk into the permanent Lost & Found Department.

• Locked thread