Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The site's still wonky, even though the update's been up for several hours now. I thought the flurry of people reloading the site would have died down by now. Also, past pages seem to load just fine, so I guess there's a server just for recent updates that's still getting throttled to hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

FrootLoopOfHenle posted:

John didn't say hello to Kanaya. :colbert:

Have they ever actually spoken?

Does Kanaya even know her first conversation with Rose was John?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah. She talked to John in the past, interrupting his wrapping Jade's present. It was just before he talked to Vriska for the first time.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Yeah I am confident Davesprite isn't impossibly hanging around on LOWAS out in the non-canon zone. He totally hitched a ride. Worst case scenario maybe the Other John did something with him.

Davesprite has the opposite problem of everyone else in this story, where he just keeps being alive somehow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FrootLoopOfHenle posted:

John didn't say hello to Kanaya. :colbert:

John only talks to characters that matter.

even Jake does more things than Kanaya.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

John only talks to characters that matter.

even Jake does more things than Kanaya.

That is a dirty lie.

Kanaya murdered the poo poo out of Eridan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

That is a dirty lie.

Killing someone who was less than nothing. That's a practically negative one important action.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Burkion posted:

That is a dirty lie.

And Gamzee, bless her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Killing someone who was less than nothing. That's a practically negative one important action.

She rid us of him though.

So she has removed more nothing than anyone else. When was the last time Dave removed trash?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kanaya still has to repopulate the troll race. Which makes me think about the future of the human race too. Of the many things that never went anywhere (apparently) the one that made me most sad was the whole "exiles rebuilding earth" stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blackheart posted:

Kanaya still has to repopulate the troll race. Which makes me think about the future of the human race too. Of the many things that never went anywhere (apparently) the one that made me most sad was the whole "exiles rebuilding earth" stuff.

I'm not sure they can repopulate the human race. There's only eight of them left, and most are related by blood. Their offspring would end up horribly inbred with all kinds of genetic problems.

Might be better to agree not to have kids and let the species die off with dignity, humans had a good run.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
cant they just clone people from the past using some of the meteor equipment and then mix the clone-blobs up to create genetically unique individuals

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kanaya and Jade talked a bit about this once, when she trained her to be a Frog breeder. Maybe Ectobiology can work somehow.

e: what he said.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

paranoid randroid posted:

cant they just clone people from the past using some of the meteor equipment and then mix the clone-blobs up to create genetically unique individuals

Ah, I forgot about that. That changes everything.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In the movie adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide, Earth gets rebuilt exactly the way it was right down to the people in the pub wearing bags on their heads waiting for the world to end. Somehow I've always imagined Homestuck ending in a similar way. The most plausible way I can imagine would be building a replica Earth somehow then using a huge transportalizer to just transport everyone off Earth the moment before it was destroyed and onto the new Earth like nothing ever happened.

John is a Hero, and Heroes Save The World. Just like Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
j-just like my animes sub-par movie adaptation of a book series that took a steep dive in quality around the third installment...!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If the last lines of the comic aren't some meta bullshit with Dave going "yo i dont want to live in such a lovely comic anymore", the surviving cast agreeing and walking off the edge of the screen, it won't be suitably Hussie.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
John forgetting the wallet is going to end up like one of those text adventure game puzzles, ie the Hitchiker's Guide one, where you lose because you hosed up three hours ago.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I briefly misinterpreted your comment and thought it was suggesting there were three installments to Armageddon, and now I want to see Armageddon II where a second, larger meteor tries to take revenge on the Earth and Ben Affleck in particular for killing his brother. Maybe John and Dave can get on that once they beat Lord English.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Armageddon III: Literally the State of Texas

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

John forgetting the wallet is going to end up like one of those text adventure game puzzles, ie the Hitchiker's Guide one, where you lose because you hosed up three hours ago.

John is going to dark tower this whole comic.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Burkion posted:

So she has removed more nothing than anyone else. When was the last time Dave removed trash?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:downsrim:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The upd8 keeps flickering in amd out of existence and I can't read it.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

Dolash posted:

In the movie adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide, Earth gets rebuilt exactly the way it was right down to the people in the pub wearing bags on their heads waiting for the world to end. Somehow I've always imagined Homestuck ending in a similar way. The most plausible way I can imagine would be building a replica Earth somehow then using a huge transportalizer to just transport everyone off Earth the moment before it was destroyed and onto the new Earth like nothing ever happened.

John is a Hero, and Heroes Save The World. Just like Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck.

Hussie has been on record as saying that Homestuck is an elaborate creation myth. I'm thinking they're likely to create the earth we live on now. One that is almost, but not entirely unlike the one they came from. With "improvements" as made by a bunch of sixteen years-olds.

Still holding out hope that the overall message of Homestuck is "Teenagers are useless, and should not be trusted with universe saving/creation."

Edit: Has anyone speculated yet that the massive pauses followed by huge retcons is in fact Hussie having run out of ideas?

What do I do? I've done nothing in a year!
Quick, make an animation and kill a bunch of people. That'll make for good stalling.
Okay, now I know what I want to do. Retcon out inconvenient things.

Stayton fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 30, 2015

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

WAR FOOT posted:

Lord English is the 1,500,000 people mashing refresh.

How do you expect to crash the servers

WHEN THEY ARE ALREADY DOWN

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Bobulus posted:

Here is the important part of the update, for those that can't load it:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I have been waiting years for this. :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Update still won't load for me, like twelve hours later. Hussie's Twitter doesn't say anything about it either :confused:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Stayton posted:

Edit: Has anyone speculated yet that the massive pauses followed by huge retcons is in fact Hussie having run out of ideas?

What do I do? I've done nothing in a year!
Quick, make an animation and kill a bunch of people. That'll make for good stalling.
Okay, now I know what I want to do. Retcon out inconvenient things.

Why would this be the case? We were already leading up to things being hosed before the gigapause even occured. It's also kind of silly to assume that retcon shenanigans weren't planned for a story that has pretty constantly had plot points involving multiple dimensions, paradoxes, and timeline fuckery. Hussie has always loved finding ways to make storytelling interesting and the retcon stuff is just another instance of that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It is very, VERY bizarre that 15-ish hours later later the new pages, and only the new pages, are erratically refusing to load. I'm starting to wonder if Tumblr isn't right, and if something deliberate isn't going on. If it's just a technical problem, it's been long enough to reconfigure the servers, including (if necessary) pushing the new pages back on to the same servers as the rest of the comic. I don't think [S] CASCADE was down for this long, and that was more technically challenging.

I've been thinking about fandom's collective insistence that something terrible (non-technical, that is) must be about to happen. There's actually an excellent basis for this feeling. We are all very familiar with how you read an adventure novel or watch a thriller movie/TV show. We're all used to glancing at the edge of a book, the scrollbar of something electronic, at our watches or the progress bar during a movie. We know, instinctively, the rising action/climax/falling action pattern for scenes, books, and movies. We've been told that there are 700 pages to go, plus something epilog-ish. It's too drat early in the story for everybody to be happy. If the state of comfort we're seeing right now were going to be permanent, then we'd spend the rest of the story with everybody happy and only the Big Bad to fight. That's not how a good story works, and by now we (I) have come to trust that Hussie is familiar with and competent at interweaving personal stories and epic stories. Separating personal resolution from overall plot arc resolution doesn't work.

So something awful [TM] *is* about to happen. It's not (just) because Hussie delights in our tears, it's became the default Western story structure doesn't work this way.

e: I haven't watched the incoming HTTP because I am a very lazy nerd, but given the number of times I've downloaded the new pages, the browser cache should be making them load lightning fast. Anybody want to bet that the POST requests include "and invalidate your cache"?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
it would be extremely stupid to foreshadow something in a way that makes people not care about what's going to happen because they can't read the foreshadowing because your website is broken

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

it would be extremely stupid to foreshadow something in a way that makes people not care about what's going to happen because they can't read the foreshadowing because your website is broken
It would be another interesting way of making this an Internet-native story if fundamental screwups in the underpinnings of Paradox Space propagated into fundamental screwups of the Web site; see what Hussie has already done with glitch artifacts. Did you look at the technical issues I laid out about why having *just* yesterday's pages refuse to load and reload is odd?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It would be another interesting way of making this an Internet-native story if fundamental screwups in the underpinnings of Paradox Space propagated into fundamental screwups of the Web site; see what Hussie has already done with glitch artifacts. Did you look at the technical issues I laid out about why having *just* yesterday's pages refuse to load and reload is odd?

But the screwups are gone now? Also this has happened before and it's always due to massive load.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RZApublican posted:

But the screw ups are gone now? Also this has happened before and it's always due to massive load.
Not for me, they weren't; when I posted they were still glitching (and there were still current Tumblr complaints about being unable to load). They're doing fine now.

e: I promise that next time the site has technical problems I will make an effortpost about it, so that it will humiliate me by working again. You're welcome.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 30, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is very, VERY bizarre that 15-ish hours later later the new pages, and only the new pages, are erratically refusing to load. I'm starting to wonder if Tumblr isn't right, and if something deliberate isn't going on. If it's just a technical problem, it's been long enough to reconfigure the servers, including (if necessary) pushing the new pages back on to the same servers as the rest of the comic. I don't think [S] CASCADE was down for this long, and that was more technically challenging.

I've been thinking about fandom's collective insistence that something terrible (non-technical, that is) must be about to happen. There's actually an excellent basis for this feeling. We are all very familiar with how you read an adventure novel or watch a thriller movie/TV show. We're all used to glancing at the edge of a book, the scrollbar of something electronic, at our watches or the progress bar during a movie. We know, instinctively, the rising action/climax/falling action pattern for scenes, books, and movies. We've been told that there are 700 pages to go, plus something epilog-ish. It's too drat early in the story for everybody to be happy. If the state of comfort we're seeing right now were going to be permanent, then we'd spend the rest of the story with everybody happy and only the Big Bad to fight. That's not how a good story works, and by now we (I) have come to trust that Hussie is familiar with and competent at interweaving personal stories and epic stories. Separating personal resolution from overall plot arc resolution doesn't work.

So something awful [TM] *is* about to happen. It's not (just) because Hussie delights in our tears, it's became the default Western story structure doesn't work this way.

e: I haven't watched the incoming HTTP because I am a very lazy nerd, but given the number of times I've downloaded the new pages, the browser cache should be making them load lightning fast. Anybody want to bet that the POST requests include "and invalidate your cache"?

I agree that poo poo's about to get more real than ever, but I think as far as our heroes are concerned, major upsets are mostly done for. Ben Kenobi is dead, we just escaped the Death Star, and now we're gearing up to go back and blow that poo poo the hell up. The coming conflict will be tough, and it'll be exciting as all hell to see how our heroes fare, but I think the stakes are about as high as they're going to get.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I would have been very interested if every time you reloaded the page the previous pages dialogue changes very slightly. It wouldn't be hard to swap out a word here or there and maybe a sentence or two, just strategically placed to change the meanings.

Every time you F5 you're Retconning. Oh god that would explode Tumblr.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

More recently than Kanaya.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Davesprite survived fighting Jack, we haven't seen his body, he's not dead from this

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Evidence in favor of this:

Look at what the Page said:

JAKE: Just
JAKE: I had stuff i wanted to say when we met.
JAKE: Theres so many people here.
JAKE: I dont...
JAKE: Sorry.

And say that Jake is getting messed with Vriska (like he was, with Aranea, when the site was also very spotty). What does that make him?

A Web Page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I check this thing every few months and usually it's right where it was when I last checked it. Now most of the characters I thought were dead are not. Is the dog girl still evil? Why was she evil in the first place? Why is everyone where they are?

Better yet, is there somewhere I can just get a summary of the whole loving comic to date?