Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey, if anyone's going to be at PAX East, come to the Games On Demand booth in the Tabletop area; I'm going to be running (among other things) the Atomic Robo RPG at various points over the weekend.

I'll definitely be by at some point, will you have times posted or signups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spigs posted:

I'll definitely be by at some point, will you have times posted or signups?

Yeah, there'll be sign up sheets at the booth. I don't know what the schedule is looking like yet.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Hyperactive, did all of the Kickstarter rewards go out already? I sent an email regarding my pledge kickstarter, but haven't heard anything back.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Hyperactive, did all of the Kickstarter rewards go out already? I sent an email regarding my pledge kickstarter, but haven't heard anything back.
About 1% of them have not gone out. The best thing to do at this stage would be to send another message through Kickstarter.

Short version: we were scrambling on the backend to get our Kickstarter support and online shop support integrated and inevitably a few things got dropped in the middle of that. Now it's running smooth, so go for it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

About 1% of them have not gone out. The best thing to do at this stage would be to send another message through Kickstarter.

Short version: we were scrambling on the backend to get our Kickstarter support and online shop support integrated and inevitably a few things got dropped in the middle of that. Now it's running smooth, so go for it.

Ok cool. Thanks bud. I sent it late last week so I'll wait a few days to send another then.

E: Don't know if you mentioned something or not, but I got a message back tonight. Thanks again! :D

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2015

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Ok, you see this?

I want this toy with the passion of a thousand lonely PUAs.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Fun Fact:

That was the original design for the Mecha Robo we see in that issue, but when Scott got to the pages with it he forgot that he hadn't really designed anything for the back and also it was hard to make all those shapes line up anyway.

We get the version in the comic as a kind of last minute desperate "These pages are due in ten minutes whatever gets drawn is what's happening" kind of compromise.

We are revisiting Big Science Inc. a bit in Volume 10 and we'll get to see the newest Mecha Robo(s).

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Fun Fact:

That was the original design for the Mecha Robo we see in that issue, but when Scott got to the pages with it he forgot that he hadn't really designed anything for the back and also it was hard to make all those shapes line up anyway.

We get the version in the comic as a kind of last minute desperate "These pages are due in ten minutes whatever gets drawn is what's happening" kind of compromise.

We are revisiting Big Science Inc. a bit in Volume 10 and we'll get to see the newest Mecha Robo(s).

I cannot wait for that. The version that actually showed up in the comic really worked for me as a 'this is a prototype and we really don't know how to make a standing humanoid/walking humanoid version so let's just make it up as we go along.'

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Crosspostin' from the Fate thread, but I figure people here would appreciate this too.

I ran two session of Atomic Robo for people at PAX East's Games on Demand this year, and man the brainstorming system is so much fun, especially with people who're used to systems where they're not allowed to really "contribute" at that level. The scenario presented was that everyone was Tesladyne folks and hangers-on working late in the labs when vampires and M-12 agents started teleporting in and wrecking the place, and I left the cause and solution up to the groups.

One group determined it was due to M-12 using a crystal in the mineralogy lab to teleport things in and out (and allowed me to bring in Dr. Dinosaur) and ended with the cyborg PC throwing Dr. D out a twelfth-story window.

The other group decided that M-12 was beaming in the vamps and agents from an orbital platform,the vamps being a distraction so the M-12 agents could steal tech. They ended up solving the problem by taking out an M-12 power armored agent in the middle of a fight, strapping a patched-together EMP bomb onto him, hacking his coms, and using them to call for an emergency evac teleport.

It's great how easily people were able to come up with solutions that fit the universe perfectly even though I think maybe two players out of the ten total were really familiar with the source material. Of course, I sent everyone to the website so they could keep reading.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Crosspostin' from the Fate thread, but I figure people here would appreciate this too.

I ran two session of Atomic Robo for people at PAX East's Games on Demand this year, and man the brainstorming system is so much fun, especially with people who're used to systems where they're not allowed to really "contribute" at that level. The scenario presented was that everyone was Tesladyne folks and hangers-on working late in the labs when vampires and M-12 agents started teleporting in and wrecking the place, and I left the cause and solution up to the groups.
Brainstorms-a-like mechanics need to start showing up in every game. It's a weirdly accurate portrayal of how Scott and I collaborate on these stories. Like, we're able to throw together these storylines because we're history, sci-fi, and conspiracy theory nerds. Not everyone is. But the way Brainstorms play out, it turns you into an expert. And it's a super fun way to interact with the game world.

quote:

It's great how easily people were able to come up with solutions that fit the universe perfectly even though I think maybe two players out of the ten total were really familiar with the source material. Of course, I sent everyone to the website so they could keep reading.
During development, I never thought about the game being played by non-readers. I just figured, y'know, it's a niche of a niche, why would you bother with this product unless you were already into the setting? But almost all of the playtesting was done with non-fans, and it was fascinating to see how readily they picked up the vibe. I think it helps that we, uh, "borrow" so liberally from such widely known source material. If you've ever seen Indiana Jones or The Ghostbusters, you're prepared. And then the bones of Fate so closely align with how narrative and characters work in Robo, and then Mike did such an amazing job of reinforcing and emphasizing those elements of the mechanics with the setting that, it's like, you can't help but get it if you're awake.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

One group determined it was due to M-12 using a crystal in the mineralogy lab to teleport things in and out (and allowed me to bring in Dr. Dinosaur) and ended with the cyborg PC throwing Dr. D out a twelfth-story window.

The other group decided that M-12 was beaming in the vamps and agents from an orbital platform,the vamps being a distraction so the M-12 agents could steal tech. They ended up solving the problem by taking out an M-12 power armored agent in the middle of a fight, strapping a patched-together EMP bomb onto him, hacking his coms, and using them to call for an emergency evac teleport.

Really bummed I couldn't fit this into my schedule at PAX but glad to hear it went well, and more Robo converts are always a good thing!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, Hyperactive/Brian? How come the new volume isn't up on Comixology yet? I want to give you my money via the middleman of a soulless online shopping corporation, and I can't!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I just got caught up on Volume 9...

:ohdear:

It's going to be a long wait for the next volume...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finally picked up a copy of the RoboRPG and I plan to dive into it this week. I work at a daycare and I'm thinking about running a RPG for the kids (my age group is 5-11 with most around 8) and tradgames suggested FATE.

Now to figure out how to run a game before next week.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

I finally picked up a copy of the RoboRPG and I plan to dive into it this week. I work at a daycare and I'm thinking about running a RPG for the kids (my age group is 5-11 with most around 8) and tradgames suggested FATE.

Now to figure out how to run a game before next week.

Fate is a good game to learn how to GM with because it's very loose and forgiving of mistakes.

Don't be afraid to ask for advice in the Fate or general chat threads.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I just got caught up on Volume 9...

:ohdear:

It's going to be a long wait for the next volume...
May isn't too far away.

On the bright side Vol 9 is the last BIG TIME HEART ATTACK CLIFFHANGER we'll do for a while. Well, actually, Vol 10's ending is a little...hmmm.

Hey, Volume 11 is practically around the corner. I mean, sure, it has nothing to do with Vol 10's story, but at least that one will be a break.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I keep confusing Fate and FATAL. Someday that's going to get me in serious trouble.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lurdiak posted:

I keep confusing Fate and FATAL. Someday that's going to get me in serious trouble.

Nobody wants to know Robos anal circumference.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FATAL: anal circumference is a part of your character
FATE: anal circumference is a part of your character if you want to

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

:gonk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sadly the question of "anal circumference" almost came up in that game of Robo I played at Gencon 2012. :smith:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

My Lovely Horse posted:

FATAL: anal circumference is a part of your character
FATE: anal circumference is a part of your character if you want to

Why did I search what FATAL was? Why do I do this to myself?

My reaction exactly. And all I read were the reviews.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Explaining FATAL really drunkenly loud at a bar got me a girlfriend once.

Prooooooobably not a good thing given how it worked out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Why did I search what FATAL was? Why do I do this to myself?
We must remember, so it does not happen again.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm interested in buying the TESLADYNE FIELD GUIDE 2013, but have been back and forth on the idea. For those who have it, if you don't mind me asking, how cool is it? Is it a "must-have" for an Atomic Robo fan, so to speak?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Covok posted:

I'm interested in buying the TESLADYNE FIELD GUIDE 2013, but have been back and forth on the idea. For those who have it, if you don't mind me asking, how cool is it? Is it a "must-have" for an Atomic Robo fan, so to speak?

If you don't have it, you're not a real fan, IMO.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

If you don't have it, you're not a real fan, IMO.
A REAL FAN gets their book signed.

It's a very fun collection of articles about a variety of sci-fi threats and how best to cope with them. Everyone who has told me they got one has also told me they loved it.

BUT.

I wouldn't say it's a must have the way that, say, the RPG is.

BUT.

The RPG + the Field Guide is one hell of a combo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So after the currently published work goes up on the site, it's Ring of Fire?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

wiegieman posted:

So after the currently published work goes up on the site, it's Ring of Fire?
Yup!

Well. We've got a couple surprises first. But, yes, Ring of Fire will be the next storyline on the site once we burn through the back catalog.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive was your Phantom supposed to be more than one issue? I'm asking because I have a Phantom #1 and #2 but #2 isn't by you. I think they sold me the wrong comic.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

Hyperactive was your Phantom supposed to be more than one issue? I'm asking because I have a Phantom #1 and #2 but #2 isn't by you. I think they sold me the wrong comic.
Uh.

Yeah, there are 4 issues. The second one just came out. It looks like this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Uh.

Yeah, there are 4 issues. The second one just came out. It looks like this.

Yeah I got sold the wrong Phantom comic then. Dicks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Might not have been deliberate. I believe there's two different publishers doing two different Phantom books right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaz-L posted:

Might not have been deliberate. I believe there's two different publishers doing two different Phantom books right now.

Yeah I don't think it was deliberate at all and it's kind of my fault for not actually double checking what I was buying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Dynamite themselves are publishing two different Phantom books.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hermes Press are putting out something Phantom-y, at least here in the UK/Europe

Congrats to Hyperactive (and Scott too) for getting Robo back up on the store under their own/Submit banner. Finally I can buy volume 9 (and try to ignore the itch in the back of my head to rebuy the other 8 volumes so I can have CBR versions on my hard drive). What's happening with the Real Science Adventures, is that down to Red 9 or to dealing with the individual artists?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

Hermes Press are putting out something Phantom-y, at least here in the UK/Europe

Congrats to Hyperactive (and Scott too) for getting Robo back up on the store under their own/Submit banner. Finally I can buy volume 9 (and try to ignore the itch in the back of my head to rebuy the other 8 volumes so I can have CBR versions on my hard drive). What's happening with the Real Science Adventures, is that down to Red 9 or to dealing with the individual artists?
RSA is ours too. We just haven't locked down exactly what we're doing with that series yet. Plans for the next volumes may impact where/how the existing volumes should go, so we're holding off on those for the time being.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

I may have the answer in a couple weeks at this rate, but I just finished Volume 9 and this is bugging me.

Am I supposed to be able to tell from context what's wrong with Robo? The back of the TPB says something about his atomic fuel running out, but we've never really learned anything about his power system before, and the panel art looked more like he was overheating or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought it was pretty clear that his fuel/batteries were running dry, not aided by all the exertion he was putting himself through to save the townspeople and fight Helsingard's cyborgs. I'm also not sure if I'm impressed or not with the Wild Wild West and Star Trek: TNG references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice a similarity between Helsingard rattling off his long-term plans at the end of volume 9, and ALAN reciting the steps of his long-term plans as his systems shut down?

• Locked thread