Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Xenomrph posted:

I know there are maps of the island for the first movie, are there maps of the island for Jurassic World?

well there's this. the yellow boundary is the FORBIDDEN ZONE i think which is the old park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I hope they slip in Nedry's skeleton in the visitor center.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A montage of skeletons from past deaths. Lawyer dude's skeleton in a pile of old crusty T-Rex poo. Why not?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Looking at the maps it looks like where the old visitor center used to be in now a gondola?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want Chris Pratt to bash a compy golf-ball style with John Arnold's humerus.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Jesus, some of those maps take me back to being a young kid on the Internet in 2001 scouring for anything I could find about the island and JP3. JW could be a total garbage festival but it's giving me an echo of the same excited childish feeling I had for the others.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There may be a retcon involved! :ssh:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Whoolighams posted:

Jesus, some of those maps take me back to being a young kid on the Internet in 2001 scouring for anything I could find about the island and JP3. JW could be a total garbage festival but it's giving me an echo of the same excited childish feeling I had for the others.

Same except print media and JP1. No Internet back then.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Whoolighams posted:

Same. I'm both pumped for a movie that I hope fills me with the same sense of childish glee and wonder and terror and disappointed that so close to the film's release we're probably not getting any kind of Operation Genesis 2. Those gyrocycles look so cool I want to make my own Jurassic Park with them :saddowns:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm just going to quote myself, since it was at the bottom of the last page.

Just Offscreen posted:

This is all we have so far-

(alternate)

Which seems to be using an extremely skewed perspective. It looks like the new park is only utilizing a little over half of the island. The only thing is the old visitor's center doesn't quite seem to fit in the unused portion.

The original, for reference.

A side by side withe the telltale games map

And another.

An exhaustive fancomposite made from multiple sources.

Since these are all over the place, it looks like there is plenty of wiggle room as long as everything is on the correct side of the island.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whoolighams posted:

I'm finding my old JP toys and poo poo in my boxes in storage and I'm having the hugest nostalgia trip from when I was 9.

Like I cannot believe JP3 was in 2001, it feels like it wasn't that long ago.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Xenomrph posted:

Like I cannot believe JP3 was in 2001, it feels like it wasn't that long ago.

I wish that JP3 was a fever dream I could imagine never happened because it was so bad that it feels like it wasn't long enough ago to get that bad taste out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I wish that JP3 was a fever dream I could imagine never happened because it was so bad that it feels like it wasn't long enough ago to get that bad taste out.

Apparently they're ignoring it and The Lost World for this film.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

Apparently they're ignoring it and The Lost World for this film.

It's less ignoring it and more of a sidestep. Both sequels take place in another island and are private endeavors so anything that happened in it (except the minor incident of a loose animal in mainland) can be avoided.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Sounds like they're being ignored to me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's less ignoring it and more of a sidestep. Both sequels take place in another island and are private endeavors so anything that happened in it (except the minor incident of a loose animal in mainland) can be avoided.

Can a T-Rex loose in Southern California really be considered minor? :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MrYenko posted:

Southern California's a big place. Even a T-Rex doesn't mean much.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
is it crazy that I prefer watching JP3 over the Lost World, even though I know objectively that JP3 is awful

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you prefer anything over Jeff Goldblum you've done something wrong.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MrYenko posted:

The T. rex in San Diego did about as much damage as a bad car crash. Hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I like all Jurassic Park adventures.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The best part of JP3 is when the raptors snapped a man's neck. :allears:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MacheteZombie posted:

If you prefer anything over Jeff Goldblum you've done something wrong.
Also Roland is much cooler than Muldoon, I mean the guy took out a bull T-Rex with a tranq rifle by himself!!! :black101:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

achillesforever6 posted:

Also Roland is much cooler than Muldoon, I mean the guy took out a bull T-Rex with a tranq rifle by himself!!! :black101:

But that scene is based on the original novel, where it's Muldoon who shoots the rex. :allears:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I liked 3 more than Lost World because I liked Grant over Malcolm. :colbert:

Also, Lost World made fun of Bakker, so there's that. (yes, I know Grant was based on Horner, making this odd, but I don't care.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Lost World version of Malcolm is way less fun than the JP version. I wanted fun, smug, weird, creepy Malcolm back.

If they make Jurassic World 2, Malcolm could be a delightful old coot

And this time he could be even more smug!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought you meant the Japanese version for a moment and was confused.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Remember the part in JP3 when Grant falls asleep on the plane and he has a dream about talking velicoraptors?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

mr.capps posted:

Remember the part in JP3 when Grant falls asleep on the plane and he has a dream about talking velicoraptors?

I stand corrected, this is the best part of JP3. :swoon:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Prolonged Priapism posted:

But that scene is based on the original novel, where it's Muldoon who shoots the rex. :allears:

...With a rocket launcher. Let's not forget that.

I was also sorely disappointed with the movies for not thus far including the scene in the novel where he gets medieval with the raptors in the hotel compound with said rocket launcher, loaded with HE. Raptors blowing up left and right. As awesome as Muldoon was in the movie, he was even better in the book.

:iia:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mr.capps posted:

That was the only worthwhile part of the entire movie.

3 has a poo poo score (LW was a bit repetitive, but had a great main theme and still WIlliams)
poo poo cinematography
bad anamtronics that weren't lit or used correctly
same with CG
HORRIBLE pacing with deaths/dino attacks. Two people die as soon as they land on the island from the same dinosaur. One guy dies right after that. No one else dies. (Compare to LW or JP where everyone dies to different TYPES of dinos in different ways to pace between the attacks and keep the audience entertained)
Bad action direction that falls completely flat
Almost no mood cast
No real "setup" to action scenes. The whole high hide ---> Roland Tembo save from the falling vehicles is an excellently realized, paced, and directed action sequence in Lost World, for instance. So is T-Rex Pen ---> falling car. They contain a huge buildup, multiple ebbs and flows, their own contained storyline, and a crescendo. JP3 has nothing of the sort, really.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

IMB posted:

is it crazy that I prefer watching JP3 over the Lost World, even though I know objectively that JP3 is awful

Once I heard the suggestion that it's more of a dinosaur slasher/horror movie than a Jurassic Park one, I appreciated it more in a silly way. The Spinosaurus stalking and gobbling humans up one by one, the raptors doing the Michael Jeter distress call, the Pteradons creeping out of the fog, etc.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Lost World score is great. Very primal and some nice, unusual use of percussion with a couple of awesome Williams action pieces.

The JP3 score is so painfully forgettable. Why even hire Don Davis of all people, even in the Matrix movies the most memorable pieces of music weren't his. Not exclusively anyway.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darko posted:

That was the only worthwhile part of the entire movie.

3 has a poo poo score (LW was a bit repetitive, but had a great main theme and still WIlliams)
poo poo cinematography
bad anamtronics that weren't lit or used correctly
same with CG
HORRIBLE pacing with deaths/dino attacks. Two people die as soon as they land on the island from the same dinosaur. One guy dies right after that. No one else dies. (Compare to LW or JP where everyone dies to different TYPES of dinos in different ways to pace between the attacks and keep the audience entertained)
Bad action direction that falls completely flat
Almost no mood cast
No real "setup" to action scenes. The whole high hide ---> Roland Tembo save from the falling vehicles is an excellently realized, paced, and directed action sequence in Lost World, for instance. So is T-Rex Pen ---> falling car. They contain a huge buildup, multiple ebbs and flows, their own contained storyline, and a crescendo. JP3 has nothing of the sort, really.

Let's not forget that 5 weeks before filming, they thew out their script and started over.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
New Footage in form of a featurette. I am disappointed in the lack of animatronics displayed so far, although that visitor center looks really cool.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

mr.capps posted:

Remember the part in JP3 when Grant actually talks to Velociraptors with a 3D printed recreation of their vocal chords and managed to convince them to not kill them?

I rest my case for why it was awful. Also surprise military intervention at the behest of Saddler whuuuutttt?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Remember the part in JP3 when Grant actually talks to Velociraptors with a 3D printed recreation of their vocal chords and managed to convince them to not kill them?

It's been forever and a day since I've seen the third one, but I think It was less convincing them to not kill them and more confuse the gently caress out of them with something that vaguely sounds like them.

Unrelated: I've just realized what the T-Rex's roar meant at the end of the first movie. It's not 'See I'm the king of this place', it's "OW, loving RAPTORS, OW". I didn't realize that the raptor that jumped on it was doing some serious damage to its side. :gonk:

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

MrYenko posted:

...With a rocket launcher. Let's not forget that.

And not long after finishing off a bottle of whiskey. Muldoon supremacy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know everyone points to the Kelly gymnastics scene as the worst part of the Lost World and they are right because it overshadows a pretty fun action piece, my favorite being when Ian is trying to escape this raptor by going into a building, the raptor jumps through the window and it and Ian proceed to go back and forth going inside and outside of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, everything about that whole sequence is pretty great aside from the gymnastics stuff. Also the trailer-over-the-cliff bit is a really nice action setpiece too, with (poor) Eddie frantically trying to pull the trailers back up and the windshield cracking under Sarah always makes my hands sweat.

• Locked thread