Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caitlin posted:

^^ Won from a crane machine :3:

I'm not saying it's the greatest game ever, but I really enjoyed it and having multiple perspectives for the story at the time was extremely unique. It's not necessarily that I fell in love with any one thing, but overall I found it to be a pleasant experience.

Also, usually the blinds are shut tight because I'm a hermit anyway, but it photographs much better in sunlight, you know? :sax:

So the short one is a Robotech x EXO Squad mech I picked up sometime when K*B Toys was still a thing and the tall one is exactly what you think it is. I have a little plastic framed picture Minmei in a bathing suit too that came with a vinyl figure (long since destroyed by my dad's dog I think) of - of all characters - Misa Hayase :psyduck: I also-also have a Mechwarrior/Battletech tattoo though, so Battletech wasn't a far off guess (and frankly Battltech kinda borrowed some of that design, yanno)

Oh yeah, the now "forbidden" designs :allears:. Iirc, they thought they had the licensing or something but nope, straight-up stolen and Harmony Gold are very quick to call in the lawyers on anything they can. The Phoenix Hawk (Valkyrie), Marauder (Officer's Pod), and the one they turned the Tomahawk Destroid into that I can't recall right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Caitlin posted:

Have you ever seen the opening to the Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon 3DO game? What's that you say? No? Heavens. You ought to fix that. Let me help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn-AcYvCzF0

Thanks very much for this!

Discount Viscount posted:

...It from the Pit.

poo poo man and I thought I was hardcore talking about Don't Wake Daddy and Weapons & Warriors the other day. I haven't thought about It From The Pit since I was a little kid. Thanks for this!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Odd question here, but a very long time ago (maybe over a year ago) someone here mentioned how great the Nyko PowerShot was for gun games on the Wii. Something about it having metal contacts? I don't really remember. Anyway, I kept it on my Amazon wish list forever to try and remember to order them but time went on and I forgot.

Then some time a month ago someone mentioned them being amazing again, so I bought them, but I am a bit confused. They appear to simply be empty shells you put your Wii remote into and nothing more. I did not see any metal contacts or whatever (except I guess where you put the nunchuck I suppose).

Anyway I am not complaining; I am just wondering if I am missing anything and maybe there's two versions or something? Again, it just seems to be a plastic shell and literally nothing else; I was wondering what made it so great for Wii shooting games. I could have SWORN the poster mentioned something about swapping the A and B buttons or something like as also being a reason it's great, but my memory is terrible and I am just trying to figure this thing out and if I got the right thing.

*realized he didn't buy both parts*
:doh:

Someone bragged on them years and years ago and they got me into them, so may have been me rambling about them afterward simply because I've enjoyed them so much. I could gab on them all day long, but here's the DL:

When I discovered how badass light gun games on the Wii (Wii and emulated nes/snes light gun games) I did all kinds of looking around and bought 2 different types of pistols (for 2 gun house of the dead action and just in case 1 was awful). I believe they are called the Perfect Shot and the Nyko Wand Action Pack

I was too lazy to grab another Wii controller so I'm just going to use the Nyko wand one in both. The Perfect Shot is a good solid gun BUT it relies on mechanical moving parts. What I mean is, when you squeeze the trigger, you're actually pulling a plastic arm that physically pulls the trigger on the Wii controller. It's solid but feels a bit off because of this.

This one below is the Nyko Action dealio I had heard so much about. This baby comes with an amazing controller AND the fact it uses direct contacts to tell the wii controller "the trigger was pressed" is radically awesome. It feels as close to a real gun as a plastic controller holder is going to get because of this. You have to remove the battery cover when you "install" the controller and also keep in mind it kind of angles in like how you would install laptop RAM. If you're like me you'll play with it for a few moments wondering how it goes together, then you realize you have to pull the plastic action back, angle the controller in on it's hinge thing, push it back, then lock the plastic action back in place. Sounds complicated but it's easy peezy once you do it once.

As you mentioned, one of the coolest features of the Action Pack one is the ability to switch which button the trigger is. It can be A or B with this handy little switch on the bottom. Oh, also the hammer itself on the back of the gun works for the A/B button as well, which is INCREDIBLLLLLLLLLY handy.

Everyone has their own preference but I strongly prefer the Action Pack contact based one. That being said though, both are still great to use, especially at the same time :hellyeah:

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 30, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking to get into collecting some retro gaming stuff. However, I realized over time that I really don't need/have to have the real thing for anything emulatable. I really want to make is something akin to a museum display of consoles though. I think I'd even be happy with broken models too, as long as they looked fine. I'd probably get myself a Rasberry Pi and then plug in some USB SNES controllers or whatever for it instead of use the real thing.

Is it possible to buy just the outer shell to old consoles though? And/or would I be a lovely person if I was buying up broken consoles that could be repaired by someone with experience, especially for the rare ones?

Also, despite working in a museum for a short period, I never learned anything for electronic preservation. Are there good resources for cleaning and preserving consoles and games? I imagine using chemicals to re-whiten SNES's would be a bad thing for it's longevity for example.

Just found this thread (I'm blind apparently), and am amazed at the resources here!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The RasPi is poo poo at emulation. I mean, it can technically do it, but it won't do anything besides Star Control anywhere close to faithfully (even NES stuff).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
You should build a MAME (and other general emulation) cabinet

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Bel Monte posted:

Is it possible to buy just the outer shell to old consoles though? And/or would I be a lovely person if I was buying up broken consoles that could be repaired by someone with experience, especially for the rare ones?

Also, despite working in a museum for a short period, I never learned anything for electronic preservation. Are there good resources for cleaning and preserving consoles and games? I imagine using chemicals to re-whiten SNES's would be a bad thing for it's longevity for example.

Just found this thread (I'm blind apparently), and am amazed at the resources here!
You could go all the way up to PS2, Wii and GCN with a good cheap GPU like a 750ti and an i3 if you don't mind using an ITX case instead of the husk of an old NES or whatever. A decent smartphone with a Bluetooth game pad and an HDMI adapter is probably more powerful than a pi as well and you probably already have 2 out of 3 pieces of that puzzle already. You could also get a cheap used wii and softmod it.

I don't think buying rare broken systems for display is a dick move so long as you're not going destroy something rare and repairable just to cram a RasPi into its shell.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bel Monte posted:

Buying the outer shell is occasionally possible, but not really any cheaper or better. And you also miss little things like controller, AV, and expansion ports. Buying a broken console is fine and dandy, even for something rare; the desirable stuff is desirable because it works or is complete. A busted console doesn't do anyone any good and is more likely to be scrapped, so you'd be doing something decent with it.

Hell, for common stuff like the SNES and Sega Genesis, you can still get a functional console for not too much money (especially the Genesis, and especially the second model one). Do so! It's better being shown appreciately by you than languishing in some basement or attic or in the dark corner of some packrat retrogoon's "spares" dungeon!

I'm assuming this is all for display purposes, of course. If it's to use as a case for a Raspberry Pi, then nah, don't gut original systems for that, working or not.

Bel Monte posted:

For re-whitening yellowed plastic, there is a homemade compound call Retrobright (or along those lines). You'd have to investigate it some more, I guess, but it could be good for restoring things. Otherwise, isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be too bad, and even good old soap and water for really messy things can't hurt (so long as you disassemble the consoles, of course, and remove the important bits).

Otherwise, the big thing is to keep stuff (especially paper and printed stuff) out of direct sunlight since it bleaches things, dust often, and be careful of scratches. Beyond that, the physical condition will probably take care of itself. The only big issue might be capacitors that can swell and bulge with age and then fail, or outright leak after some time and damage boards, but that can be very dependent on the platform and manufacturer in question.

If you want to find out more about the physical perils and pitfalls of old electronics, get yourself a brain full with Police Automaton's old hardware repair guide in the SHSC forum.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

(and frankly Battltech kinda borrowed some of that design, yanno)

And got sued over it, but the Phoenix did make it into one video game before Harmony Gold struck. Well, the ending of one video game:

I remember being so mad about that since I figured, "Okay, after all this wandering around and nothing happening, now we're finally going to get started." And then it dumped to DOS after that screen.

A used book store near me had a copy of "Battledroids" (the first printing of Battletech before George Lucas got to his lawyers) in the window for years that they refused to sell as it got more and more sunfaded. Then the store shut down and I don't know what happened to the game... :(

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 30, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Sega 3D classics on the 3DS are amazing. Ironically, Nintendo's releases are awful and lazy. Excitebike 3-d was great, but I could swear Kid Icarus 3d and Kirby's Adventure 3D are just being emulated it seems so lazy. Barely any 3D effect, 4:3, all sorts of stupid stuff. They tricked me with their Excitebike released and then released lazy trash after that. Sega's stuff is awesome, though.

Unrelated but I thought someone here said I could use a Game Boy link cable to link a Super Game Boy 2 to my Game Boy Player on the Gamecube but it didn't work. Which cable do I need? The GB Pocket link cable?

Kirby's Adventure 3D doesn't have any lag. The original is such a good game that it's easy to forget, but holy poo poo it lags so badly all the time. I still prefer the GBA version personally.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heran Bago posted:

Kirby's Adventure 3D doesn't have any lag. The original is such a good game that it's easy to forget, but holy poo poo it lags so badly all the time. I still prefer the GBA version personally.

Even the Wii U VC copy of Kirby's Adventure suffers from massive slowdown. It was really bad going to the first Meta Knight squad fight because it ran about 1/3 of the normal speed and I was really wishing I were playing the 3D version. In addition, KA3D is super sharp and crisp and it looks way better than the VC releases that Nintendo mandates a "CRT filter" for.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

A used book store near me had a copy of "Battledroids" (the first printing of Battletech before George Lucas got to his lawyers) in the window for years that they refused to sell as it got more and more sunfaded. Then the store shut down and I don't know what happened to the game... :(

That's amusing, because Battle Droids later became the working title for Metal Warriors, my favorite LucasArts game that isn't a graphic adventure.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kid Icarus definitely isn't being emulated - they fixed the controls, they added new backgrounds to all the stages, they mixed content from the FDS and NES versions, etc.

Arika put a decent amount of effort into all the conversions, they just picked unexciting games to convert. Nintendo said they stopped doing them because they required more effort than anticipated and because the first batch didn't sell that well, but really, why did they think it was a good idea to waste their time on garbage like Urban Champion?

The fact that it isn't emulated makes it even stranger. If they had to redo the game, why not make it widescreen? I admit the Kid Icarus 3D Classic is better than the Kirby Adventure one, but they are both shameful compared to the Xevious and Excitebike ones. I still use Excitebike 3D Classic to show the 3DS to friends to this day. There's barely even any 3-d effect in Kirby 3D. If they have to reprogram the whole thing, it seems so weird they gave up on widescreen and decent 3-D effect like what Excitebike had.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Thanks very much for this!

poo poo man and I thought I was hardcore talking about Don't Wake Daddy and Weapons & Warriors the other day. I haven't thought about It From The Pit since I was a little kid. Thanks for this!

Someone bragged on them years and years ago and they got me into them, so may have been me rambling about them afterward simply because I've enjoyed them so much. I could gab on them all day long, but here's the DL:

When I discovered how badass light gun games on the Wii (Wii and emulated nes/snes light gun games) I did all kinds of looking around and bought 2 different types of pistols (for 2 gun house of the dead action and just in case 1 was awful). I believe they are called the Perfect Shot and the Nyko Wand Action Pack

I was too lazy to grab another Wii controller so I'm just going to use the Nyko wand one in both. The Perfect Shot is a good solid gun BUT it relies on mechanical moving parts. What I mean is, when you squeeze the trigger, you're actually pulling a plastic arm that physically pulls the trigger on the Wii controller. It's solid but feels a bit off because of this.

This one below is the Nyko Action dealio I had heard so much about. This baby comes with an amazing controller AND the fact it uses direct contacts to tell the wii controller "the trigger was pressed" is radically awesome. It feels as close to a real gun as a plastic controller holder is going to get because of this. You have to remove the battery cover when you "install" the controller and also keep in mind it kind of angles in like how you would install laptop RAM. If you're like me you'll play with it for a few moments wondering how it goes together, then you realize you have to pull the plastic action back, angle the controller in on it's hinge thing, push it back, then lock the plastic action back in place. Sounds complicated but it's easy peezy once you do it once.

As you mentioned, one of the coolest features of the Action Pack one is the ability to switch which button the trigger is. It can be A or B with this handy little switch on the bottom. Oh, also the hammer itself on the back of the gun works for the A/B button as well, which is INCREDIBLLLLLLLLLY handy.

Everyone has their own preference but I strongly prefer the Action Pack contact based one. That being said though, both are still great to use, especially at the same time :hellyeah:

OK at least I hope you can see how I would confuse it with the PowerShot. It even looks exactly the same! Thank you for this writeup. I bought the correct thing this time but that's it; I cannot buy anything else for a very long time :) :retrogames:

Heran Bago posted:

I actually had no idea they made Kirby's Adventure for the GBA!

Yeah, you need a Pocket or Color link cable, or two of the adapters (product code MGB-004) and the original link cable. And obviously this only works for games that play on an original Game Boy since the SGB2 is involved.

The Wikipedia article is actually really helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Link_Cable

EDIT: I had a little trouble with Faceball 2000 at first but I unplugged the link cable and plugged it back in after both systems were already on and that did the trick.

I don't know why but that Wikipedia article is incredibly fascinating. I can't believe they actually made a Game Boy Micro wireless link adapter. The original one for the GBA barely sold at all; I can't believe they made one for the Micro. Something like 4 games supported it!

Why doesn't the GBA Micro work with the Gamecube if you use the Game Boy Micro Converter Connector (model OXY-009) ? And it's only $70.00 to find out! :retrogames: (No I'm not buying that)

Edit: Wow, it turns out it really is true that Fireware was based off the Game Boy link port. That's interesting as hell.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 30, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The fact that it isn't emulated makes it even stranger. If they had to redo the game, why not make it widescreen? I admit the Kid Icarus 3D Classic is better than the Kirby Adventure one, but they are both shameful compared to the Xevious and Excitebike ones. I still use Excitebike 3D Classic to show the 3DS to friends to this day. There's barely even any 3-d effect in Kirby 3D. If they have to reprogram the whole thing, it seems so weird they gave up on widescreen and decent 3-D effect like what Excitebike had.

Aspect Ratio conversions are complex or can lead to issues. I think Excitebike works because it's a game that only ever travels horizontally. Making Kid Icarus widescreen would require a fundamental redesign to how the game works since it travels in all directions (do you make it so vertical stages don't offer as much up/down vision? Will that screw up people's ability to progress in parts because they can't see far enough ahead?) and you occasionally go into single-screen "rooms" (do you make those scroll now)? The Game Boy versions of Kid Icarus I think had similar issues due to a smaller screen. Even Super Mario 1 getting converted to widescreen would be weird since enemies normally don't "exist" outside of the 4x3 screen (why kicked turtle shells tend not to hit them if they're just barely off-screen).

A 16x9 conversion It probably wouldn't have been as difficult as a conversion of a heavily artful game like Symphony of the Night but still more work than was probably worth doing for that project.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland! It's a great remake and adds in the first Meta Knight mode of the series! You can't save in it and have to blitz through the game in one go, but it's still good fun.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

That's Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland! It's a great remake and adds in the first Meta Knight mode of the series! You can't save in it and have to blitz through the game in one go, but it's still good fun.

Whenever they change the name of a game and it's a remake I always forget that. Thanks!

univbee posted:

Aspect Ratio conversions are complex or can lead to issues. I think Excitebike works because it's a game that only ever travels horizontally. Making Kid Icarus widescreen would require a fundamental redesign to how the game works since it travels in all directions (do you make it so vertical stages don't offer as much up/down vision? Will that screw up people's ability to progress in parts because they can't see far enough ahead?) and you occasionally go into single-screen "rooms" (do you make those scroll now)? The Game Boy versions of Kid Icarus I think had similar issues due to a smaller screen. Even Super Mario 1 getting converted to widescreen would be weird since enemies normally don't "exist" outside of the 4x3 screen (why kicked turtle shells tend not to hit them if they're just barely off-screen).

A 16x9 conversion It probably wouldn't have been as difficult as a conversion of a heavily artful game like Symphony of the Night but still more work than was probably worth doing for that project.

Makes sense; I guess I was just really disappointed because the first release was incredible.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

OK at least I hope you can see how I would confuse it with the PowerShot. It even looks exactly the same! Thank you for this writeup. I bought the correct thing this time but that's it; I cannot buy anything else for a very long time :) :retrogames:

Edit: Wow, it turns out it really is true that Fireware was based off the Game Boy link port. That's interesting as hell.

No problem! Even writing that stuff up last night with the 2 guns in front of me, I still had to look at it a few times to see if it was PerfectShot or PowerShot. They are very cool and have revolutionized how much I play with my Wii (keep in mind I still light gun it up on my CRT too)

I didn't know about Kirby's Adventure on GBA or the firewire port deal either. Learned so much already this morning!

So I was going through my stack of random video game instruction booklets last night and for whatever reason decided to check out one of my all time favorite childhood should-be-awful-yet-is-amazing-fun games we would rent constantly:

I flipped through it having a nostalgia adventure then came upon this. I always love it when they "write" a code/note in for you. I never get tired of this:

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 30, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Menu, Menu, Menu, Turbo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The RasPi is poo poo at emulation. I mean, it can technically do it, but it won't do anything besides Star Control anywhere close to faithfully (even NES stuff).

To add to this, you can get used android phones with a much better CPU and GPU for emulating on, with HDMI out and the ability to support USB in for controllers and the like, for not much more than a Raspberry Pi.

For example $60 can get you a Samsung Galaxy S3, which emulates up to the Playstation quite well, and with a $10 adapter thing that plugs into the charge port it'll support HDMI out, USB host for flash drives and controllers, and also chunking in full size SD cards for additional storage beyond the built in storage and the built in microsd slot. The phone might not be able to be used on a cell network ever again due to an issue like broken sim card slot, or might not be usable as an independent phone because the screen's cracked or the touchscreen doesn't work, but you can use a game controller or mouse or keyboard plugged in by USB to navigate it because Android supports that natively.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Makes sense; I guess I was just really disappointed because the first release was incredible.

M2 talked a bit in the 3D Fantasy Zone interview about considering widescreen and then dropping it due to time/budget issues because of the necessary rebalancing. They were able to add it in easily for 3D Fantasy Zone 2 W because they actually have the source code for that game, having made it.

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I was going through my stack of random video game instruction booklets last night and for whatever reason decided to check out one of my all time favorite childhood should-be-awful-yet-is-amazing-fun games we would rent constantly:

Never did play this one but it's been on my list since I got a multitap last year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

It really puts the people who try to ask $25 for a Super Mario Bros cartridge in perspective.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nothing fades my faith in human intelligence more than finding out that Minecraft(combined with the mobile version) is the third best selling game of all time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Silhouette posted:

Nothing fades my faith in human intelligence more than finding out that Minecraft(combined with the mobile version) is the third best selling game of all time.

Er why though? Also consider it's far and away most popular with literal children.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Minecraft is a poo poo non-game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Please, this is the only respite I have from Minecraft talk. :negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always laugh when people call Minecraft not-a-game because you know if it existed when you were a kid you would not only have played it but it would still be mega popular.

But in a way you're right, it's not a game. It has transcended beyond that. It's a toy, or an interactive toolbox much the same way Legos are a physical toolbox. Build with it, play with it, manage your own server, modify it, tear it apart and build it back up.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If I can troll pre-teens through a graphical interface in a simulated world, then it's a game.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Guess what Minecraft isn't? RETRO! :buddy:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

But but voxels are the ultimate retro graphics!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I spent hours playing on Blockland servers when I was 15 so I totally understand the appeal of Minecraft. I wish it existed when I was a kid because it seemed like 75% of my time in Blockland was spent manually editing x and y coordinates to make things look like they go together. Minecraft looks a lot more fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Caitlin posted:

I'll see you in 20 years, then we can talk about my Nintendo themed amusement park built to scale in Minecraft.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

(Looney Tunes B-Ball)
Never did play this one but it's been on my list since I got a multitap last year.

At $2 for 2 days, I bet we probably threw $200 in random 1 dollar bills and change renting this game from M&J Video over the span of our childhood. It wasn't quite Goldeneye level "I could have bought this 3 times over by now" but we rented it a bunch. It was just the perfect "ehhh there's nothing else sounds fun" game, kind of like Gradius 3 or B.O.B. or Pilotwings was.

Anyway that being said, holy poo poo I don't think it ever dawned on us to play 4p action. I've got a multitap now as a grown rear end man and will have to try this out this evening.

VVVV Hell yeah man, if your video store was like mine you probably got the strategy guide with it too. Gotta scratch and sniff those scratch and sniffs!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 30, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
My dad and I rented and renewed Earthbound a over dozen times instead of just buying it.

I don't know why we didn't just buy it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mikeycp posted:

My dad and I rented and renewed Earthbound a over dozen times instead of just buying it.

My brother and I rented Dragon Warrior II on NES because it wasn't available for purchase anywhere. The video stores refused to sell us a rental copy or make a special order for us (and no one else was any help either). My mother did eventually track down a copy successfully but I'm not entirely sure what she did (and she doesn't remember). Niche titles were really hard to find in those days in certain areas, pretty much.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^ I never take for granted how amazing the internet and even flea markets are these days. I clearly remember BEGGING my parents to help me order games from the back of the Sears catalog. NES Star Trek TNG yes I"m talking about you. It was the cheapest game in the catalog at $20 or $25 and I remember going with my Dad to the store to pick it up and being so drat excited.

I'm still blown away the same video store I mentioned a second ago sold me Mega Man X and X2 CIB (well with photcopied manuals) for $5 each when the N64 was first coming out and the SNES game shelf was still super popular. I just straight up asked them one day, so the lady at the front desk (also my school librarian) called the owner or someone and talked for a few minutes and then said sure. This is the same video store that made our parents call in and give permission to rent us Mortal Kombat and Turok mind you.

I also left the video store stickers on the boxes for purely nostalgia reasons and thankfully still have them. Good ol #SNES125.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

When a thread is being terrible, be the change you want to see in the thread.

Sadly, I have not played any terrible or weird or interestingly obscure game in the past few days worth talking about.

mikeycp posted:

I think my most rented title was Final Fantasy II which took me three or four full rentals from Phar-More pharmacy to complete.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Haven't posted a haul pic here in a while, here's some stuff I got recently. I've been focusing almost totally on the DC lately

I just got Lodoss War and the lightgun today from local shops, the lightgun is the official Sega made one that was only released in Japan, it's required to play Japanese light gun games because they region locked the guns for some reason. So now I can finally play Death Crimson 2 properly :toot:

The golf game in the top right is Golf Shiyouyo 2, the Japan only sequel to what was released here as "Tee Off". It's similar to the Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf series but better, imo

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

I think my most rented title was Final Fantasy II which took me three or four full rentals from Phar-More pharmacy to complete.

This but FF6 FF3.

Also that dreamcast gun is cool as gently caress

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like I won that Commander Keen from MageMage. Do I dare try to use the floppies when I get them?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

Did you rent it back to back, or did you take the risk that someone else would borrow it, erase your save, play for twenty minutes, and rename every party member AssFist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Phar-More pharmacy

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about that chain in decades. Are they still around somewhere?

• Locked thread