Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
He still acts very noticeably different, so it's still a thing, he's just rehabilitated well without having a magic brain damage cure. They've done a really good job with his character, I thought it was pretty :3: how after his single split second of doubt when he found out, he was the only one who backed Skye 110% through everything because of how he was treated when he was at his worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rirse posted:

You know, I have a feeling he going to end up with Ultron parts since there going to be a lot of dead robots by next week.

I don't think that's really possible.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It is likely that the facility is Stark tower though. He does build lots of andoids, and will have spare legs.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
The leg is obviously going to be from that dude in the space prison in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

My only major disappointment with Daredevil is that they didn't keep up that kind of feel in later fights. I mean granted, they were all cool, but that one felt like it had some real physics, weight, and stamina to it and felt like a very clear tribute to the fight from Old Boy.

ED: Major disappointment is too strong. The show is awesome.

I absolutely hated that about Daredevil. He is too much of a badass in early episodes so later on he magically becomes a worse fighter so they can increase the peril and the tension.

It's lazy, and I hope they don't do that with AoS. Nowadays if Skye wanted to go alone into an enemy base, no getting captured and shot by Quinn. She would just shoot everyone then level the building.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I like that Skye's problem has more to do with precision and control than strength. Leveling the building and killing everyone inside would be easy for her. Using her powers without doing that in order to save innocent lives or preserve valuable intel... that's a bit more of a challenge.

And it's loving great that they showed us her progression from nobody to badass even before she got her powers. So when and if she decides not to use her powers to handle something, it's fine, because we know good and drat well that she doesn't need them.

Basically, I'm just super-impressed with what they've done with Skye in general. She's come so far. :911:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Keshik posted:

I absolutely hated that about Daredevil. He is too much of a badass in early episodes so later on he magically becomes a worse fighter so they can increase the peril and the tension.

It's lazy, and I hope they don't do that with AoS. Nowadays if Skye wanted to go alone into an enemy base, no getting captured and shot by Quinn. She would just shoot everyone then level the building.

I just take it as the increasingly large number of serious wounds he has without any time to really heal and rest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was going to say that, he got put through the meat grinder...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Too bad Stick didn't teach him the secrets of meditative healing, Matt could really use that. The idea actually reminds me of the Jedi healing trance from the Expanded Universe (AKA the boatload of books that were rendered non-canon), which does exactly what it sounds like. Daredevil's basically the closest thing to a Jedi in the MCU right now, what with detecting his opponents' movements through a special sense that only he has and all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

NowonSA posted:

Too bad Stick didn't teach him the secrets of meditative healing, Matt could really use that. The idea actually reminds me of the Jedi healing trance from the Expanded Universe (AKA the boatload of books that were rendered non-canon), which does exactly what it sounds like. Daredevil's basically the closest thing to a Jedi in the MCU right now, what with detecting his opponents' movements through a special sense that only he has and all.

The series actually does show Matt meditating to recover at a couple of points.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Wolpertinger posted:

I just take it as the increasingly large number of serious wounds he has without any time to really heal and rest.

He also went from fighting street toughs to the leader of a powerful ninja clan and the goddamn Kingpin. Not to mention the clearly escalating mental stress that would weigh on him.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just seen the episode. I don't get it, Adama goes all that length to dethrone Coulson, and then just sags his shoulders like a sad puppy when he gets told that Fury's alive, despite SHIELD still in shambles.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They were against Fury's methodology (he was to blame for Hydra according to real shield) so I can't see them just rolling over.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I saw it as the reaction of a man who suddenly realized that there's way more going on with SHIELD than just the pieces he has collected. I doubt he's going to have a change of heart about his own goals of creating a more "open and transparent" SHIELD, but it probably has him rattled that he's now in direct conflict with Fury rather than just criticizing the practices of a dead man.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just seen the episode. I don't get it, Adama goes all that length to dethrone Coulson, and then just sags his shoulders like a sad puppy when he gets told that Fury's alive, despite SHIELD still in shambles.

It's pretty obvious. He has been operating under the assumption that Fury is dead and Coulson is simply a rogue agent who has his own agenda and is loyal to a dead man whose secretive beliefs and practices Gonzalez thinks sunk SHIELD, and everything Coulson does confirms this assumption. Then he finds out that Fury is alive, and theta protocol isn't some sort of nefarious plot influenced by Coulson's alien blood but something Coulson has been working on with Maria Hill and presumably Fury also. Then when Coulson doesn't invite him to the call with Maria, he realizes that he's not part of the inner circle of the Real Real SHIELD.

So yeah, it's a lot to process.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

We only really got a reaction shot to the news that their former leader is, in fact, alive and contacting Coulson. It's not like he's given up entirely on the idea of his own command structure and if Fury does show up he'll probably want to discuss the fact that he left his shattered organization directionless and caused unnecessary strife. The issue is that Gonzalez et al. cut themselves off from outside contact after the Hydra coup and even if Fury wanted to get ahold of them it's possible he couldn't. They just assumed they were the only ones left and moved forward to make the best of it. Everyone's flying by the seat of their pants so it's understandable he'd be frustrated but it's really his own fault.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

enraged_camel posted:

It's pretty obvious. He has been operating under the assumption that Fury is dead and Coulson is simply a rogue agent who has his own agenda and is loyal to a dead man whose secretive beliefs and practices Gonzalez thinks sunk SHIELD, and everything Coulson does confirms this assumption. Then he finds out that Fury is alive, and theta protocol isn't some sort of nefarious plot influenced by Coulson's alien blood but something Coulson has been working on with Maria Hill and presumably Fury also. Then when Coulson doesn't invite him to the call with Maria, he realizes that he's not part of the inner circle of the Real Real SHIELD.

So yeah, it's a lot to process.

Yeah, basically Gonzalez thought that he was running things and it turned out he's still sitting at the children's table.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because he knows he can't accomplish anything Fury doesn't let him accomplish.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Just watched the episode. Holy crap, this show is just getting better.

Skye is a badass.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
See, the thing is, Gonzales's goals aren't exactly bad, they're just bad for SHIELD. Accountability, transparency, some measure of democracy in the decision-making; all of these would be great for a straight-up peacekeeping organization like the police. They are absolutely horrible, however, for a spy organization, which is what SHIELD is and needs to be at the moment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just watched. NOOOOOOOOOOOO THE BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS :cry: oh well guess they needed room for some new standing sets.

I'm surprised they had the briefing in the fancy room on there with the touchscreen and surface, I assume they would've stripped the Bus of everything of value not absolutely essential to flying given the plan was for it to kaboom.

Also, I'm kinda bummed that I saw this episode the day after I saw Ultron instead of before.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 30, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TLG James posted:

Just watched the episode. Holy crap, this show is just getting better.

Skye is a badass.

Yeah it's crazy how good at kicking rear end Daisy has become.

Spergatory posted:

See, the thing is, Gonzales's goals aren't exactly bad, they're just bad for SHIELD. Accountability, transparency, some measure of democracy in the decision-making; all of these would be great for a straight-up peacekeeping organization like the police. They are absolutely horrible, however, for a spy organization, which is what SHIELD is and needs to be at the moment.

I liked how Coulson called Gonzales out on keeping a secret on Gonzales's own ship.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2015

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

twistedmentat posted:

I keep meaning to say this in the BSS movie thread, but MCU Maria Hill is way better than comics Hill. For one, she's capable in the MCU.

That's weird, I just told a friend this morning, I keep being underwhelmed by MCU Maria Hill. It just feels like she's a prop more than a character. Like, when they need a head to deliver or receive some information, or someone to stand around looking "in charge" without actually doing anything of consequence to the story or having any agency worth caring about, they stand up Hill on stage and call it done, which is kind of a shame, because I'm a fan of Cobie Smulders and I wish they'd figure out a better way to use her.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, Theta Protocal guesses so far are:

Avengers Academy
SHIELD 2.0
S.W.O.R.D.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

St0rmD posted:

That's weird, I just told a friend this morning, I keep being underwhelmed by MCU Maria Hill. It just feels like she's a prop more than a character. Like, when they need a head to deliver or receive some information, or someone to stand around looking "in charge" without actually doing anything of consequence to the story or having any agency worth caring about, they stand up Hill on stage and call it done, which is kind of a shame, because I'm a fan of Cobie Smulders and I wish they'd figure out a better way to use her.

She was used pretty good in Winter Soldier. They also need to hook her up with MODOK as they did with the comics one.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

St0rmD posted:

I'm really pissed that we haven't seen any Maria Sparkles yet

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

old dog child posted:

I'm really pissed that we haven't seen any Maria Sparkles yet

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So, Theta Protocal guesses so far are:

meaningless until you see Age of Ultron where it's all fairly clearly explained. (Or at least "Oh, that's what Coulson was spending money on!" should be obvious)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

meaningless until you see Age of Ultron where it's all fairly clearly explained. (Or at least "Oh, that's what Coulson was spending money on!" should be obvious)

Really? Everyone else has been saying that nothing in the movie seems to fit it.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Aphrodite posted:

Really? Everyone else has been saying that nothing in the movie seems to fit it.

No, it's pretty obvious. Its actually something a lot people having seen the movie (and probably only the movie) are complaining about the lack of an explanation.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Having seen AoU already I think I may have enjoyed this episode more than the movie. That one shot fight scene is just absolutely exceptional

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

J33uk posted:

Having seen AoU already I think I may have enjoyed this episode more than the movie. That one shot fight scene is just absolutely exceptional

Clearly they had to up their stunt game after Daredevil's scene.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

This was more than likely in the can before Daredevil was aired.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr Beens posted:

This was more than likely in the can before Daredevil was aired.

Jeff Loeb probably saw dailies of the Daredevil scene. But the Daredevil producers probably read the Agents of SHIELD script. But the Agents of SHIELD script may have been inspired by Daredevil's script. But Daredevil's script may have been inspired by another scene from Agents of SHIELD. Agents of SHIELD may have been inspired by the Daredevil comics Daredevil was based on. The Daredevil comics may have been partially inspired by Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD by Jim Steranko. But Jim Steranko might have been inspired by William "Pat" Patterson, the famous boxer who went blind in the late 50s. Well,...

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Wolpertinger posted:

This was more impressive to me. Daredevil had at least three places for hidden cuts and the camera work isn't as dynamic. Both sequences are great though and far beyond normal TV shots.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They both probably were at least a little inspired by the ridiculously long single-shot sequence in True Detective last year.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Aphrodite posted:

Given how bad people ITT are at understanding what is happening on the show they supposedly watch it doesn't surprise me they can't figure out where Theta Protocol comes into the movie but it's glaringly obvious to anyone paying attention.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Javid posted:

They both probably were at least a little inspired by the ridiculously long single-shot sequence in True Detective last year.

Mix in one part Daredevil, add some John Wick and that's what that scene was. Or.... imagine John Wick shot like Daredevil.

If that's where they are going for Daisy Johnson action then sign me up, John Wick was amazing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really liked that Skye's shooting wasn't this drawn out point the gun at arms length, close one eye, line up your shot poo poo. She used a handgun for exactly what it's purpose is, whipping it around in close quarters and putting rounds in your target the instant the shot is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I really liked that Skye's shooting wasn't this drawn out point the gun at arms length, close one eye, line up your shot poo poo. She used a handgun for exactly what it's purpose is, whipping it around in close quarters and putting rounds in your target the instant the shot is available.

150 million dollar Bond-movies dream they had gunfights like the one we just got on a silly comic book TV show for children. It's awesome :haw:

• Locked thread