Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

Announcement for FFXV for PC incoming at e3 or Gamescom?

Stop it Sunning. You are playing with my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gammatron 64 posted:

Out of all the Japanese publishers, Nintendo and Square-Enix are going to be the last to go. Things were looking pretty dire for SE when most everyone outside of Japan hated FF XIII and XIV 1.0 was a colossal failure of epic proportions. That kind of gave them a bit of a wake up call though and they seem to have turned around. XIV's second chance has been surprisingly successful and XV is looking like it'll be a quality product. All the money they get from their MMOs and Edios will keep them good for a while.

Things are looking bad for Capcom, Sega and Konami, though. Especially Konami. It's looking like they're gonna wind up like SNK. I hope you guys are pumped for Metal Gear Solid Pachinko games.

Oh god the CG Trailer for the Garou sequel game almost killed me when they revealed the pachinko machine. I just want to see Terry and Rock again. And the sons of Kim.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Gammatron 64 posted:

Things are looking bad for Capcom, Sega and Konami, though. Especially Konami. It's looking like they're gonna wind up like SNK. I hope you guys are pumped for Metal Gear Solid Pachinko games.

Capcom feels like they try but just can't seem to keep it together and Sega is like a constant comedy of errors. Konami on the other hand is just flushing it all away because management was all "this is too hard, we don't want to do it anymore." They don't even make much off their pachinko poo poo compared to video games and slot machines.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

At least Capcom is still making Street Fighter. We know it will be the end times if a Street Fighter game or update isn't currently being worked on.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Gammatron 64 posted:

I remember reading some where that Capcom was basically banking on whichever Monster Hunter was about to be released making enough money to save them from bankruptcy.

Not that banking on Monster Hunter selling well is a bad idea by any means.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Out of all the Japanese publishers, Nintendo and Square-Enix are going to be the last to go. Things were looking pretty dire for SE when most everyone outside of Japan hated FF XIII and XIV 1.0 was a colossal failure of epic proportions. That kind of gave them a bit of a wake up call though and they seem to have turned around. XIV's second chance has been surprisingly successful and XV is looking like it'll be a quality product. All the money they get from their MMOs and Edios will keep them good for a while.

Konami deserves to burn for what they did to Suikoden.

Capcom's making a Breath of Fire mobile game so we'll see if they deserve to burn or if it'll have enough nostalgia to make up for the freemium model it's definitely going to use.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I remember reading some where that Capcom was basically banking on whichever Monster Hunter was about to be released making enough money to save them from bankruptcy.

I never really got the appeal of Monster Hunter. A had a couple friends who tried getting me into it, and it just didn't click. This seems to be a common sentiment among Americans.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Konami deserves to burn for what they did to Suikoden.

Capcom's making a Breath of Fire mobile game so we'll see if they deserve to burn or if it'll have enough nostalgia to make up for the freemium model it's definitely going to use.

Don't kid yourself. It's Capcom. You know how it's gonna turn out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
You grind a lot in a way that JRPG's haven't done in quite a while and fight big boss monsters and do quests for your village. It's fun but it's also the kind of game that takes like 150+ hours and after playing one title, you might burn out on the series for life.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm still sad Basch isn't in the game so I can make an team comprised just of my favourites.

Seriously, why does Basch not show up in more cameos. He was the best character.

Though I always thought he was hosed over. Ashe got the throne back, Balthier and Fran went back to having adventures, Vaan and Penelo were doing okay, but fuckin' Basch, man he's like 'guess I'm my dead twin brother now, WELP' and that's after being in prison for a few years and branded, like, the worst guy ever. But the whole time, he's still just sucking it up.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
konami is going to do fine, just not as a video game publisher

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

LadyPictureShow posted:

Seriously, why does Basch not show up in more cameos. He was the best character.

Though I always thought he was hosed over. Ashe got the throne back, Balthier and Fran went back to having adventures, Vaan and Penelo were doing okay, but fuckin' Basch, man he's like 'guess I'm my dead twin brother now, WELP' and that's after being in prison for a few years and branded, like, the worst guy ever. But the whole time, he's still just sucking it up.

He's the hero Ivalice needed but didn't deserve because they are asshats.

VVV Videogames actually make up the largest portion of their revenue by a fair bit but, to be fair, it's the only portion of their revenue that isn't growing.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 30, 2015

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Seriously, Konami could do pretty well without the gaming market. Iirc I think that their game software stuff doesn't even compare to literally any of their other stuff. Their only bread winners there are Winning 11 and whenever a Metal Gear comes out, they really don't lose much by just wiping their hands 9f the games industry.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Any feels I might have gotten from the lady (that is a lady., right) crying is kinda immediately ruined by that awful outfit. What even is that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The GIG posted:

Seriously, Konami could do pretty well without the gaming market. Iirc I think that their game software stuff doesn't even compare to literally any of their other stuff. Their only bread winners there are Winning 11 and whenever a Metal Gear comes out, they really don't lose much by just wiping their hands 9f the games industry.

Konami does stuff other than video games?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

They make all their money on pachinko machines.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sunning posted:

During LiveBuild 2015, Hajime Tabata appeared in a video to announce that they have worked with Microsoft and NVIDIA to create a new demo for Agni's Philosohy. In fact, the Luminous Studios is now running on Direct X 12. There was then a demonstration on a new Agni's Philosophy tech demo running on a high-end PC. All of this accompanied by footage and music of FFXV.

You can find it here at 3:34:00: http://channel9.msdn.com/

It's running on four Titan Xs with SLI. So they've taken the trouble to port the Luminous Studios engine to Direct X 12 and make a new demo for Agni Philosophy with help from NVIDIA. Announcement for FFXV for PC incoming at e3 or Gamescom?

This sounds so cool but I remember all the promises that the WHITE ENGINE made, and then when XIII came out... :v:

bloodychill posted:

Quadrupling down on special effects that are way too expensive to create given current market trends and content creation pipelines. You asked how SE might gently caress up their recent string of successes and you might just have an answer in your hands.

At first I thought it was just really good CG crying so I was gonna say that's not so bad, but no, its real-time. They are indeed pushing even harder on the graphics front in ways they really don't need to. Welp.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I never really got the appeal of Monster Hunter. A had a couple friends who tried getting me into it, and it just didn't click. This seems to be a common sentiment among Americans.

Its kinda like Dark Souls mixed with Pokemon.

So yeah, its definitely niche. But man is it so good if you're into that niche.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a new Final Fantasy movie with that tech.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Konami is basically microsoft in that they have (had) a visible game division, but they are not dependent at all on it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hopefully someone will fund a new borderline copyright-infringing adventure game by Kojima, because those were great.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

Quadrupling down on special effects that are way too expensive to create given current market trends and content creation pipelines. You asked how SE might gently caress up their recent string of successes and you might just have an answer in your hands.

Much of the cost of game development come from art asset iteration which can be managed through outsourcing and good mangement. It's not a problem to have an internal game engine aimed at producing high quality visuals. They're still competing in AAA and will need a way to produce such games. However, they have multiple high-end internal engines with each having their own toolsets and technical support groups.

Here are the engines for games that they are in development or they are still supporting:

- Tomb Raider - Crystal Engine (not Crystal Tools)/Foundation Engine
- Hitman series - Glacier Tech by IO Interactive
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Dawn engine (Modified Glacier 2 Engine)
- FFXV - Luminous Studios + legacy Crystal Tools code
- FFXIV: A Realm Reborn - Custom Engine by Yoshihasa Hashimoto
- Kingdom Hearts 3 - Unreal Engine 4
- Dragon Quest X - Crystal Tools
- Various games - Unity Engine

So all of these teams are working off either branches of an engine or have a unique set of tools. This can make it difficult for teams to share manpower or help each other with technical hurdles. Furthermore, advances in one engine may not be applicable. Development teams might be forced to reinvent the wheel since solution for other engines may not work for them.

A few years ago, EA moved their AAA production entirely to the Frostbite Engine since their development teams were becoming specialized with their toolsets. For example, Medal of Honor 2010 ran on Unreal Engine 3 for singleplayer and Frostbite for multiplayer. The advantage to moving to Frostbite only was that future games and their development teams would benefit from the tools pioneered by earlier games. Furthermore, teams become flexible and a game can benefit from a large number of developers from disparate teams.

It can be wasteful running multiple technical support teams rather than pooling resources around a unified engine. To our knowledge, the Luminous Studios engine is only being used for FFXV and some tech demos. Kingdom Hearts 3 moved to Unreal Engine 4 since Epic Games has been targeting Japanese developers and expanding their technical support team in Tokyo.

Xavier434 posted:

Stop it Sunning. You are playing with my heart.

Why else would you create an elaborate Direct X 12 PC demo for a game running on NVIDIA hardware?

Besides, Shinji Hashimoto was nowhere in sight.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

At least Capcom is still making Street Fighter. We know it will be the end times if a Street Fighter game or update isn't currently being worked on.

Are you sure it's not when Capcom's management makes us pay-per-Hadoken in Street Fighter 5?

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Capcom's issues have been their talent churn and lack of direction. The started last generation off very strong. They were quickly to develop on the Xbox 360 and were rewarded with strong sales for Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Devil May Cry 4 did much better than the previous entry. They marketed RE5 as a co-op shooter and made the game the best selling Capcom game ever. Street Fighter 4 was a successful revival for the series.

However, that was followed by very poor brand management. The Lost Planet series had its sales cratered. Resident Evil 6 was a critical flop and underperformed sales expectations. Dragon's Dogma was the second largest Capcom production after RE6 and required a number of key staff but only sold a little over a million copies. The outsourcing of franchises to Western developers was largely unsuccessful. At least Dead Rising 2 did well with Blue Castle Games.

This generation hasn't been much better. They're reliant on platform holder to help them shoulder the cost of developing games. Deep Down seems to be stuck in development hell. For that matter, their Panta Rhei engine is no where in sight. They're using their last gen MT Framework Engine for Resident Evil Revelations and Unreal Engine 4 for Street Fighter 5. Their only bright spot seems to be Monster Hunter which is reliant on Nintendo handhelds and publishing support at this point.

Their mobile efforts have largely been unsuccessful. Similar to their console issues, this was due outsourcing which resulted in a number of poor quality mobile games. They even began to take mobile development in-house for better quality control but it hasn't led to a breakout hit. Their best selling games are two paid apps of a Monster Hunter port and Final Fight. Their investors raked them over the coals for investing so much in mobile without having any good results.

Capcom isn't heading towards a cash crunch like THQ. However, their opportunities for growth are limited and they're reliant on platform holders for support. They've also lost the support of shareholders who vetoed countermeasures against a hostile takeover. They would rather take their chances with another company than Capcom's existing management.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Is there some general thread where you post stuff like this for all companies and in general for the state of the industry? Because if not, you (or someone else) should make one since you always make great posts about this sort of stuff and it's kind of a shame it's buried in the FF and Nintendo threads and wherever else.

Also, while I'm posting: Mystic Quest HD even more confirmed to be a scam.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I hope the Dragons Dogma 2 pachinko machine is good, at least!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sunning posted:

Here are the engines for games that they are in development or they are still supporting:

Jesus christ :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bloodychill posted:

You grind a lot in a way that JRPG's haven't done in quite a while and fight big boss monsters and do quests for your village. It's fun but it's also the kind of game that takes like 150+ hours and after playing one title, you might burn out on the series for life.

This is the Breath of Fire mobile game? I didn't realize it was out and what you described sounds pretty bad. :ohdear:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is the Breath of Fire mobile game? I didn't realize it was out and what you described sounds pretty bad. :ohdear:

Pretty sure they're describing Monster Hunter there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nah that's definitely Monster Hunter. And he makes it sound bad but it isn't really so bad.

I mean, some games putting in 100+ hours means all kinds of grindy bullshit, but other games that just means you're having a really good time and you have lots to do.

There is definitely a point in MH, kinda in the upper High-Rank before G-Rank usually, where the new monsters stop flowing and you just keep fighting more and more of the same old monsters at the same time and it kinda loses some of the appeal, but if you're playing co-op with friends its still fun.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
OP, you forgot Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in the spin-off section.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Constantine XI posted:

OP, you forgot Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in the spin-off section.

There is a few games missing from the OP...which hasn't been updated in three years!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sunning posted:

So all of these teams are working off either branches of an engine or have a unique set of tools. This can make it difficult for teams to share manpower or help each other with technical hurdles. Furthermore, advances in one engine may not be applicable. Development teams might be forced to reinvent the wheel since solution for other engines may not work for them.

A few years ago, EA moved their AAA production entirely to the Frostbite Engine since their development teams were becoming specialized with their toolsets. For example, Medal of Honor 2010 ran on Unreal Engine 3 for singleplayer and Frostbite for multiplayer. The advantage to moving to Frostbite only was that future games and their development teams would benefit from the tools pioneered by earlier games. Furthermore, teams become flexible and a game can benefit from a large number of developers from disparate teams.

It can be wasteful running multiple technical support teams rather than pooling resources around a unified engine. To our knowledge, the Luminous Studios engine is only being used for FFXV and some tech demos. Kingdom Hearts 3 moved to Unreal Engine 4 since Epic Games has been targeting Japanese developers and expanding their technical support team in Tokyo.

S'exactly what I was getting at; it's important to keep in mind wrt both the AAA game industry and Hollywood that these ballooning costs aren't necessarily just the product of Social and Market Forces or w/e, but can also be accounted for to some degree by mismanagement of resources and inefficiency on the part of these giant development teams in much the same way that you can't (or shouldn't) have a sensible exchange about what tax rates and policy should be without addressing the ways in which taxpayers already don't get what they pay for due to gross mismanagement of funds

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zombies' Downfall posted:

S'exactly what I was getting at; it's important to keep in mind wrt both the AAA game industry and Hollywood that these ballooning costs aren't necessarily just the product of Social and Market Forces or w/e, but can also be accounted for to some degree by mismanagement of resources and inefficiency on the part of these giant development teams in much the same way that you can't (or shouldn't) have a sensible exchange about what tax rates and policy should be without addressing the ways in which taxpayers already don't get what they pay for due to gross mismanagement of funds

Eh...this is an over generalization. Sure, mismanagement of resources happens and SE has done a lot of that over the past decade, but being big does not automatically mean that a lot of resources are mismanaged or wasted. Nor does it mean resources get wasted more often than smaller organizations. It all depends on the group of people in charge. Same goes for tax rates and policy since you brought it up.

A sensible exchange about this topic cannot occur if this sort of assumption is made without having the details to justify the claims.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xavier434 posted:

Eh...this is an over generalization. Sure, mismanagement of resources happens and SE has done a lot of that over the past decade, but being big does not automatically mean that a lot of resources are mismanaged or wasted. Nor does it mean resources get wasted more often than smaller organizations. It all depends on the group of people in charge. Same goes for tax rates and policy since you brought it up.

A sensible exchange about this topic cannot occur if this sort of assumption is made without having the details to justify the claims.

I'll agree that it's an overgeneralization I'm overplaying but all you really need to know to know that it's applicable to Squeenix you can learn by reading about the production history of Final Fantasy 13

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

This sounds so cool but I remember all the promises that the WHITE ENGINE made, and then when XIII came out... :v:

At first I thought it was just really good CG crying so I was gonna say that's not so bad, but no, its real-time. They are indeed pushing even harder on the graphics front in ways they really don't need to. Welp.

Its kinda like Dark Souls mixed with Pokemon.

So yeah, its definitely niche. But man is it so good if you're into that niche.

It is literally nothing like pokemon, and also not really like dark souls.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gotta catch'em all (those Poogies)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Pokemonster Hunter would actually be really good but I guess Nintendo don't want children murdering Charizards and Blastoises and making stuff out of their body parts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Pokemonster Hunter would actually be really good but I guess Nintendo don't want children murdering Charizards and Blastoises and making stuff out of their body parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXJA7a7___Q

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I had no idea there was such an awful looking Pokemon game. What happened?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
While I was checking Rhythmia rewards for Curtain Call I noticed a statement that said black shards weren't given out as rewards. I didn't even know this game had black shards, is there some sort of trick to getting quest maps with black shard rewards or is it just pure luck?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

While I was checking Rhythmia rewards for Curtain Call I noticed a statement that said black shards weren't given out as rewards. I didn't even know this game had black shards, is there some sort of trick to getting quest maps with black shard rewards or is it just pure luck?

Luck, and/or play friends online who are sharing black shard maps.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Butt Ghost posted:

awful looking Pokemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPjL1DIYOwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm still working on FFX and I'm at the last stretch of game and want to go do loose ends (get Anima and the Magus Sisters, celestial weapons, stuff like that) but keep hitting roadblocks by having all the optional bosses just steam roll me. How do I get myself leveled up to take them on? The guides say grind One-Eye to get triple AP weapons but One-Eye just oneshot my entire party.

So far I've got Wakka and Auron their celestial weapons and I've picked up some assorted weapon/crest/sigil combinations but no other finished ones.