Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

gmq posted:

I reinstalled Yosemite from zero yesterday and it's like having a new computer, all the graphical lag vanished (13" rMBP) . So, that's an option if your Mac didn't like the update to Yosemite.

This is something I should probably do on my Air, but is it a long and/or difficult process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Rexim posted:

This is something I should probably do on my Air, but is it a long and/or difficult process?
Just depends on how much stuff you have that you want to keep / how tied you are to all your various settings.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
A guy at work is trying to 'reset' his Mac while trying to preserve all of his 'files'. From what I've heard from him he isn't using any externals. No idea what OS X hes on. Assuming worst case its 10.4, whats the best way to go about this without too much hand holding. I've offered to lend him a 1TB external but he really doesn't know poo poo but I'm not about to give him 4 hours of my time either.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is it your job to help him...? I'd let him shoot himself in the foot, personally, but that's why I write backend code and don't touch customers.

If it's a work machine that you're responsible for, just image the drive and install the latest OS X, and when he bitches that things are missing make a big show of how annoying it is for you to retrieve them. That'll show him!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
His personal machine. I don't fix computers at work either. I'm just a guy. I like to help when I can but since I don't know this guy I'm not willing to get sucked into his problems because I've been sucked in plenty on friends problems. I'd like to point him in the right direction at a minimum.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not willing to get sucked into his problems

found your answer right there.

You told him to do a backup. What else can you do? Get involved any more, anything that goes wrong will be your fault. Not worth the effort.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Laserface posted:

Probably a question for the hardware thread, but my Mid 2011 iMac 27" (base model) struggles with more than 3 1080P60fps streams when making a multi-cam clip.

I have 16GB of RAM currently, so Im going to assume its either CPU or GPU thats causing it to choke on the multiple feeds.

Is there anything I can do software-wise to use more than 3 streams? Im going to be doing it more in the future with up to 5 streams + separate audio, potentially.

I guess my next question is what is the minimum spec on an rMBP to do this? since I was planning on going to that as my next machine.

Base model as in no SSD? Your bottleneck is almost definitely your hard drive.
Easiest solve if you don't want to get behind the glass is to start working from a Thunderbolt SSD. Stock drive can't really sustain anything over than ~100MB/s. If you throw a Samsung 840 EVO on a Thunderbolt tray you'll get at least 400MB/s.
I was unlucky enough to have to do visual effects for a cartoon show on one of their base 2011 iMacs and it was a BYOSSD scenario that saved my butt.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

flosofl posted:

They're trying to convince us to move away from the archaic folder and file mentality when it comes to data. I will admit, I'm still having problems with divorcing myself from that, but in the places I have it works fantastically (email and evernote).

I'm down with making that transition too, if done right. It's just frustrating that they simply can't work straight out of the folder structure people have already set up instead of shoving things into a "library" file that can only work 100% with Photos. If Lightroom can do it, why not Apple's babby photo editor/organizer?

I'm all about Evernote and OneNote, even if they use their own file systems, but I have a hard time taking that dive with my images, for some reason.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm fine with someone elses photo organization system (provided I get a lot of stuff done for free) but the one with Photos is currently very difficult to navigate manually and it doesn't have to be like that. Plus I need Photos and Lightroom to play nice with the same photos on disk. Not sure if that's possible at all.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rexim posted:

Backup your files, download Yosemite from the app store, copy and paste a terminal command to copy the app to an USB drive, reboot, install.

It took longer to copy Yosemite to the USB drive than to install it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
DiskmakerX is handy but its dumb and doesn't list USB sticks over 8GB as USB sticks but 'other' volumes. Who the gently caress has a <=8GB stick these days. Dollar store USB sticks start at 16GB.

If your Mac can run Yoyo you should be running it. Even if it shipped with 10.4.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I have a 4GB USB stick that I got for free, and I don't use USB sticks often enough to justify buying a bigger or even faster one.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Safari has started doing this thing where it'll freeze up on pages after it starts loading them and locking up the tab, sometimes the browser. It's happened a lot on github documentation pages and google and youtube search, and less often on other sites like Facebook and here.

I haven't really made any changes lately. I'm up to date except for the 10.10.3 supplemental update. I'll probably run the update tonight but does anyone know what might cause this?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Safari has started doing this thing where it'll freeze up on pages after it starts loading them and locking up the tab, sometimes the browser. It's happened a lot on github documentation pages and google and youtube search, and less often on other sites like Facebook and here.

I haven't really made any changes lately. I'm up to date except for the 10.10.3 supplemental update. I'll probably run the update tonight but does anyone know what might cause this?

I updated to the public beta of 10.10.4 and Safari seems snappier :shrug:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just moved into a new place and my 27 inch iMac is now going to be in my bedroom. I don't have a TV in the bedroom so I'd like to use it for watching stuff. Mostly stuff off the internet like the Apple TV does, but I also have cable if there is a good option for that. My iMac is the late 2013, the first without a dvd drive.

Is there some type of good overlay software out there, kinda like how front row was? I'd also like to be able to control it from the bed. I'm guessing an apple remote won't work since I'm not sure if I have an IR port. Is there something on the iPhone/iPad I could use?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah there's an Apple 'Remote' app you can download on the iPhone, they just updated it I think. It behaves like the IR remote. There's also Rowmote, dunno how active development on that is, that'll let you remote control the whole thing. You can use Plex as a couch-friendly media interface thing. Setting it all up is left as an exercise to the reader.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Haggins posted:

Is there some type of good overlay software out there, kinda like how front row was? I'd also like to be able to control it from the bed. I'm guessing an apple remote won't work since I'm not sure if I have an IR port. Is there something on the iPhone/iPad I could use?
The remote control that came with my Apple TV controls my 2011 iMac. At least for stuff playing in iTunes.

e: whoops, never mind this. Nothing to see here.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 28, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Plex or Kodi are both great options for HTPC software; I'd lean towards plex if you're less tech savvy and don't like messing around with configuration files.

As for remote options, I strongly prefer a physical remote due to the tactical feedback (which you may not); FLIRC is a USB dongle that lets you use any IR remote to correspond with key presses. It's been a mainstay of my HTPC setup.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks, I'll start messing around and see what sticks. I might also look into getting an app that lets me AirPlay from the phone to the iMac.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Haggins posted:

Thanks, I'll start messing around and see what sticks. I might also look into getting an app that lets me AirPlay from the phone to the iMac.

That app is just called AirPlay. It's baked into the OS. I don't know why you'd want to, though. Why burn through the battery life on your phone when the iMac is plugged in?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Haggins posted:

Kodi can act as an airplay target.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pivo posted:

That app is just called AirPlay. It's baked into the OS. I don't know why you'd want to, though. Why burn through the battery life on your phone when the iMac is plugged in?
The iMac display isn't a valid source for AirPlay output. He wants to stream videos from his phone to his iMac.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Haggins posted:

Reflector 2 is really good in my experience on PC: http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

This only works for audio as of iOS 7, I think. At least on PC.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

So can Plex.

I just use one of these with Plex/Kodi on my mac mini http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG

Oh and I almost forget Plex also has the iOS or Android apps that will let you control what is playing on the computer or switch shows from the library. It is much cooler setting it up as a server on the computer because then you can watch your content on the device from anywhere.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I recently did a clean install of mavericks and when I installed chrome it created a bunch of google bookmark shortcut things in launchpad (youtube, google drive, google search). I want to get rid of them. If I do the 'click and hold' method, they don't get the little x icon most apps get that allow you to delete them. There are none of these bookmark things in my applications folder, so I can't delete them from there (only google thing in my applications folder is chrome). Googling makes me think it's connected to some chrome app launcher thing, which I don't have.

How the hell do I delete these things??

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

door Door door posted:

I recently did a clean install of mavericks and when I installed chrome it created a bunch of google bookmark shortcut things in launchpad (youtube, google drive, google search). I want to get rid of them. If I do the 'click and hold' method, they don't get the little x icon most apps get that allow you to delete them. There are none of these bookmark things in my applications folder, so I can't delete them from there (only google thing in my applications folder is chrome). Googling makes me think it's connected to some chrome app launcher thing, which I don't have.

I had the same thing happen. I just went and deleted the offending "apps" from chrome because it has nowhere in the preferences where you can tell it not to add them. I searched but found no solution other than just removing them from the browser. You go to chrome://apps/ and then right/control click and select remove from chrome. Its the most annoying feature since when they stopped showing [url]http://[/url] in the browser bar but include it when you copy the URL.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

door Door door posted:

They're in /Users/your-username/Applications/. Delete the folder of Chrome apps that are in there and they'll disappear from Launchpad.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I really hate the scam popups that show up sometimes telling me my mac has a virus and it has a phone number to call and then if you close the popup it just re-opens really quickly.
I re-installed glimmer blocker since I had never put it on this machine, and closing the dialog and tab really quick got rid of it.

I kinda want to call the number, 844-262-6418, and gently caress with the people. Like pretend I have them walk me through their scam but use a linux machine or something so whatever they give in their phone script would never work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

I really hate the scam popups that show up sometimes telling me my mac has a virus and it has a phone number to call and then if you close the popup it just re-opens really quickly.
What garbage websites are you going to? :raise:

Please say they're coming from SA.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Stuart McSlim posted:

They're in /Users/your-username/Applications/. Delete the folder of Chrome apps that are in there and they'll disappear from Launchpad.

Thank you!

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What garbage websites are you going to? :raise:

Please say they're coming from SA.

Do you check your PMs? I PMed to ask you last week if there was an appropriate place for me to post a topic about something that covered multiple platforms and genres, but never mind, I see someone has already posted about it in the HTPC topic, even though it is generally something which will eliminate the need for an actual HTPC.

(FYI it was the HDHomeRun DVR project and KickStarter to fund it, which has now nearly reached 85% after a week, and then they added rather lofty stretch goals for things like Kodi support, and support for playback from platforms like Roku and iOS, which I gather are more troublesome than Android, which they already have working code for. Wait'll they learn that Android development should have been way more of a pain than iOS, popularity of the platform be damned.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was waiting to reply after asking admins: we generally don't like Kickstarters being posted all over the place on SA. I think there are a few containment threads around SA, but never found the most appropriate one for you. HTPC thread is probably good enough.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Ah, that didn't occur to me. I kind of somehow forgot about the reputation of that site on this forum, and all those empty promises. This company actually looks reputable though, even if it isn't really the best for a company to be drumming up funds at almost the end of their development cycle, not nearly enough to actually fund their development, but more than enough to gauge interest in their product.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Closer on topic, but I use an HDHomerun and their current Kodi add on is fantastic. I have no desire to back the Kickstarter though, I have about 0 use for DVR functionality.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ever since the Reminders app was first introduced, my iPhone and my Mac have been very slow to sync. My phone will remind me about stuff I have already checked off on my Mac and so on. Is there something to be done to unfuck this? I'm pretty sure I've tried turning iCloud reminders off and on with my Mac and my phone.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I get this lovely bug where Facetime won't let me use the cellular calling feature, because it complains that I must be using the same account on both devices. I have on both. It let me enable it, but it won't actually work when I go to make a call.

Actually, I've never been able to make calls this way. I wonder if it has anything to do with being forced to use application specific passwords, which I made sure to synchronize between the phone and my desktop. Of course, I couldn't synchronize it with the dialogs that insisted on the main password.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So safari is blocking flash again for being outdated, but this time no matter how many times I uninstall/reinstall it is still blocked. How do I fix this bullshit?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dante posted:

So safari is blocking flash again for being outdated, but this time no matter how many times I uninstall/reinstall it is still blocked. How do I fix this bullshit?
Honestly I just find it far easier to get rid of Flash entirely and just use Chrome for the rare few times a site doesn't yet support HTML5 video or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I finally fired up the new photos app earlier this week and got it provisioned with adequate iCloud storage for my photos.

However it seems to have stalled on the upload. It's been saying 5,764 photos left to upload for about 3 days now.

Anyone else experiencing stalled uploads? Any ideas on a solution?