Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes make a full English breakfast smoothie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yes make a full English breakfast smoothie.

Save the wear and tear on your teeth.

I realize my other answer may not be helpful, but I can't really parse what they're asking, as an English Breakfast is just an English Breakfast; are they looking for brand names for sausages and beans and instructions for slicing tomatoes or something?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Drifter posted:

How much time do you have, and what do you like?

I'd suggest a breakfast burrito (whatever healthy tortillas, eggs/meat, a little cheese, beans, salsa, greens) and maybe a smoothie (nuts/peanut butter, greens, banana/apple, water).

Breakfast burrito sounds great :) I usually make grapefruit smoothies, would that work as an everyday smoothie?
I have a good ammount of time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yggdrassil posted:

Breakfast burrito sounds great :) I usually make grapefruit smoothies, would that work as an everyday smoothie?
I have a good ammount of time.

What do you put in it? I've found you can shove an awful lot of healthy things into a smoothie and have it still taste pretty similar to an unhealthy one.

I like to add ground flaxseed, and spinach or kale to anything. It's never soured it for me.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 29, 2015

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Drifter posted:

What do you put in it? I've found you can shove an awful lot of healthy things into a smoothie and have it still taste pretty similar to an unhealthy one.

I like to add ground flaxseed, and spinach or kale to anything. It's never soured it for me.

I added spirulina, the rest is grapefruit juice + water (no sugar).

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, GWS. I recently started seeing a girl who enjoys cooking as much as I do, and we've got a date set up this weekend. She's going to come over to my place and we're going to cook a meal together!

I've got a modest sized kitchen for a twenty-something living in an apartment and I was searching for good meals that you could bond over. I have a pretty standard residential set up. Four burner stove, oven, a couple crock pots, and all sorts of cookery.

What I'm asking for is any recommendations for meals that could be fun to use as a basis for conversation and offers us each enough room to operate so that we're not just both standing in the kitchen waiting for one item to finish.

There's a site that has a few recipes split into chef/sous-chef roles http://cookingincouples.com/dinners.html But it is pretty limited in it's scope.

I was thinking of multiple simple dishes. Maybe some kind of meat object that could get some preparation before getting thrown in the oven while the other person chops up veggies/ingredients for a stove-top adventure, and then maybe some kind of reduction sauce and them something that can be cold prepared on the side, like guac.

TLDR: I'm looking for a meal that can keep two awkward people busy enough that they don't get weird, but might foster some sort of dialog.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yggdrassil posted:

I added spirulina, the rest is grapefruit juice + water (no sugar).

If it's at all possible, I'd suggest you use an actual grapefruit and blend that with water and your algae stuff. There's a lot of sugar in that juice without any of the other fiberous benefits.

And you could totally play with your recipe. Add an apple or carrot as well, a handful or two of a leafy green. Put a few ice cubes in. Add some coconut milk or greek yogurt to it. Some ginger.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 29, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ChrisHansen posted:

Hey, GWS. I recently started seeing a girl who enjoys cooking as much as I do, and we've got a date set up this weekend. She's going to come over to my place and we're going to cook a meal together!

I've got a modest sized kitchen for a twenty-something living in an apartment and I was searching for good meals that you could bond over. I have a pretty standard residential set up. Four burner stove, oven, a couple crock pots, and all sorts of cookery.

What I'm asking for is any recommendations for meals that could be fun to use as a basis for conversation and offers us each enough room to operate so that we're not just both standing in the kitchen waiting for one item to finish.

There's a site that has a few recipes split into chef/sous-chef roles http://cookingincouples.com/dinners.html But it is pretty limited in it's scope.

I was thinking of multiple simple dishes. Maybe some kind of meat object that could get some preparation before getting thrown in the oven while the other person chops up veggies/ingredients for a stove-top adventure, and then maybe some kind of reduction sauce and them something that can be cold prepared on the side, like guac.

TLDR: I'm looking for a meal that can keep two awkward people busy enough that they don't get weird, but might foster some sort of dialog.

Make sushi together! Or gnocchi or dumplings or Vietnamese rice paper rolls / summer rolls or pizza. Something where there's an assembly line process but cooks quickly and you can add / subtract ingredients depending on your personal preferences.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

I want to make myself a healthy full english breakfast every morning before work, what can i use, in which ammount, and how do i cook it?

Well you could make yourself a nice 3/4 english breakfast with toast + beans, an egg cooked how you like, and tomatoes. This could be done with minimal oil if you'd like.

In other parts of the world this becomes "huevos rancheros", with tortillas, refried beans, eggs, and salsa.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ChrisHansen posted:

Maybe Bibimbap could work. That has rice with an assortment of veggies and meat with hotsauce and an egg.

The basic idea is you put a bunch of rice in a bowl and add stuff like cooked zucchini, seaweed, beansprouts, lettuce, etc. etc. and some meat/tofu. Then it's topped with a fried egg and hotsauce and mixed before eating.

The nice part would be that you could split up the cooking of vegetables/meat/egg and then share what the other person cooked.

Another thematically sharing meal could be a hotpot, where you could share the prep work, and the cooking coincides with eating. This also allows for a diversity of ingredients/sauces to your taste.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

cyberia posted:

Make sushi together!

ha, this was the first thing I thought when I read the question!

also gyoza,
lots of work, but fool proof and tasty

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Is there an egg recipe that can last hours on the road without spoiling?

Pickled eggs?

Also I tried to do first-date-night pierogis for a girl with an allium allergy once... probably in my top 10 worst decisions.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

ChrisHansen posted:

I like to make mussels marinara. It's a lot of fun squeezing whole canned tomatoes to make the marinara, once you get the shellfish going you can make some toasts while you're waiting. It's fun, flavorful, hard to screw up, and since you're going to need some wine for the marinara, that means wine for the two cooks as well. Plus, it should be nice and light in case the date goes very well.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Not a question, but a heads up in food land cinema, I guess.

My Netflix (and apparently it came out simultaniously with 'merica?) features a new food documentary:
"Chef's table", it has 6 episodes for now.

don't expect to see loads of food preparation,
do expect to look into the minds of some great chefs.

I like it, even though a bit more cooking would've been appreciated.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
What can I do with many bottles of cognac/armangnac/calvados?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Drink them. How is this an issue?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turkeybone posted:

Make, like, an ungodly amount of cherry cordial chocolate candies or something.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ChrisHansen posted:

Do you have a pasta machine? Make a really good ragu bolognese or something with homemade noodles, there's lots of stuff to brunoise and rolling pasta out is easier with two people if you're not used to it. You can also make a few awesome Italian appetizers while the ragu simmers and the dough rests.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

ChrisHansen posted:

Hunt, process, and cook some rabbits

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Yeah. If it's really a problem, we could probably all come over and make em disappear right quick.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Turkeybone posted:

Ship them to me:
Jan
123, Drunkard street
Montreal, PQ, G1Q 1Q9

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Turkeybone posted:

What can I do with many bottles of armangnac?

Ortolan bunting?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 29, 2015

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hi, two questions. One, is there a tea thread? Two, can I put lemon juice in Rea to flavor it? Thanks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Rhea can often be helped by placing whole lemons in the body cavity, along with sprigs of thyme and garlic, prior to roasting. Roll the lemons first before cutting in quarters, and as they steam they will help keep the bird moist from the inside, which is important with game birds as they can sometimes be dry. The lemon also reduces gaminess a bit, which some people prefer. Straight lemon juice might not be as effective, though.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

dustbin posted:

One, is there a tea thread?
Yes

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Efb

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Rhea can often be helped by placing whole lemons in the body cavity, along with sprigs of thyme and garlic, prior to roasting. Roll the lemons first before cutting in quarters, and as they steam they will help keep the bird moist from the inside, which is important with game birds as they can sometimes be dry. The lemon also reduces gaminess a bit, which some people prefer. Straight lemon juice might not be as effective, though.

Thank you I accidentally learned a lot about rhea today.

Thanks

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I came into possession of a bunch of dry roasted unsalted almonds. I'm going to toss them in a bit of olive oil to get seasoning to stick — but what seasoning? Any suggestions beyond salt?

Not much for sweet — savory is preferable.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wasabi powder.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Wasabi powder.

Seconding this, it's cheap, easy, and super tasty.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Wasabi powder.

Also add soy sauce maybe, Blue Diamond has an almond mix like that and it's delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Real Name Grover posted:

I came into possession of a bunch of dry roasted unsalted almonds. I'm going to toss them in a bit of olive oil to get seasoning to stick — but what seasoning? Any suggestions beyond salt?

Chaat masala.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Real Name Grover posted:

But... CHOCOLATE

http://greatist.com/eat/recipes/cocoa-dusted-almonds

Not overpoweringly sweet, just enough to hit that 'omnom chocs i am eating a desert' feel

Favorite almond type.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Real Name Grover posted:

za'atar (for example: http://www.popsugar.com/food/Zaatar-Spiced-Almonds-Recipe-32831723)

but yeah, wasabi powder is an excellent idea

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
California has lifted its ban on foie gras, and I'm going to go buy some this weekend.

Anyone wanna recommend a good dish?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I think it needs to go on top of a rib-eye

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

California has lifted its ban on foie gras, and I'm going to go buy some this weekend.

Anyone wanna recommend a good dish?

A place called M at Miranova in Columbus, OH used to serve it sliced atop peppery seared tuna atop a green sweet potato puree. That was good. Now they do it with the same tuna + asparagus + black truffle oil, which also sounds awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Real Name Grover posted:

Cajun!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Juice Box Hero posted:

A place called M at Miranova in Columbus, OH used to serve it sliced atop peppery seared tuna atop a green sweet potato puree. That was good. Now they do it with the same tuna + asparagus + black truffle oil, which also sounds awesome.

Is this really a thing? Green Sweet Potato? Or was this Green Sweet Pea, by chance and autocorrect run amok? I've seen Orange, Yellow and Blue/Purple sweets, but not green before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

I mean I have close to 50 mixed bottles, in addition to the typical parade of wine and spirits in my possession. If anyone comes to NYC, I'll give you a bottle. But still want some ideas for the remainder.