Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

Good is a point of view.

I'm a chocoholic, drat YOU BASKIN ROBBINS!!!! :doom: you made me side with the Skull and do this!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I can't imagine reed sees himself on the ark

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I never got resolution with Adult Franklin and Valeria. Isn't adult Valeria building something where the Reeds were?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gatts posted:

I never got resolution with Adult Franklin and Valeria. Isn't adult Valeria building something where the Reeds were?

That was back in FF and there was never any indication there would be a resolution to that. Or that there even is a resolution, she just went there to build and be smart and poo poo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

jsoh posted:

I can't imagine reed sees himself on the ark
Can't you just stick him in a jar or use him as a hammock? It's not a stretch to imagine easy ways to store a Reed Richards for later, I thought his powers made him really efficient or something?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Adult Franklin was responsible for sending the rogue planet from the future and was heavily involved in the whole Avengers World stuff in that timeline. Valeria... who knows, I'm hoping when Hickman decides to come back to Marvel he'll follow up on her.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Adult Franklin was responsible for sending the rogue planet from the future and was heavily involved in the whole Avengers World stuff in that timeline. Valeria... who knows, I'm hoping when Hickman decides to come back to Marvel he'll follow up on her.

He's still got 8 issues of Secret Wars and two issues of SHIELD left?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

He's still got 8 issues of Secret Wars and two issues of SHIELD left?

I guess we'll see! It'll be really confusing for readers though if Valeria plays a big role in it considering we haven't heard from her since the end of FF. I'm assuming most elements will be stand-alone or at least touched upon previously in Avengers/NA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

I imagine she'll pop up at a critical juncture when all looks lost for our heroes.

By the way the lifeboat is the upshot of Valeria's "figure out not how to lose" conundrum, correct?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hickman said that he's going to take several months off to refresh but that he would be back doing something for Marvel. He did mention that he's probably done with giant runs with big ideas and wanted to work on smaller stuff and short runs when he came back.

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."

zoux posted:

I imagine she'll pop up at a critical juncture when all looks lost for our heroes.

By the way the lifeboat is the upshot of Valeria's "figure out not how to lose" conundrum, correct?

Yes. Doom going back and preventing the instant eradication of the multiverse, opting for a slow one instead, allowed them time for the raft. So both Doom and Reed got their own 'figure out how to not lose' ending.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What's to keep the Beyonders from going 'oh look someones trying to escape our little experiment' and blast the Ark into nothingness?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Hickman said that he's going to take several months off to refresh but that he would be back doing something for Marvel. He did mention that he's probably done with giant runs with big ideas and wanted to work on smaller stuff and short runs when he came back.

I know he's already done it, but I would LOVE to have him back just writing small stories with the Future Foundation. The last quarter or whatever of his run on FF/F4 is basically just that and it's real good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

What's to keep the Beyonders from going 'oh look someones trying to escape our little experiment' and blast the Ark into nothingness?

They're clearly not omnipotent, which is why they have to use the Map Makers to track down Doom/Swans, so it's conceivable that one could hide from them.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

I know he's already done it, but I would LOVE to have him back just writing small stories with the Future Foundation. The last quarter or whatever of his run on FF/F4 is basically just that and it's real good.

Yeah, I really, really loved that we got an extended epilogue on his FF run after everything went down.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Binary Badger posted:

I guess they could make the Ark some kind of bridge/library that evolves outside of observable space. That thing is meant to survive outside the multiverse.
But yeah, even then, I don't know what would happen next: they rebuild something and then what? Beyonders still blast their poo poo.

We don't know if the Ark will work, how it relates to Battleworld or why Beyonders wouldn't blast Battleworld anyway.

I guess Doom had the right of it when he figured it was worth taking a shot at the Beyonders. Too bad he apparently missed. :doom:

I've said it before but provided he survives (he will :doom:), he'll be an asset fighting Thanos, Ultimate Reed and every Ultimate rear end in a top hat out there. While Steve lectures them to death.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Can't you just stick him in a jar or use him as a hammock? It's not a stretch to imagine easy ways to store a Reed Richards for later, I thought his powers made him really efficient or something?
I get it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I just want to know why Peter Parker isn't helping out with the crazy science.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Binary Badger posted:

That is why Doom killed them all. He blew up their universe with one of their own universe destroying Molecule Man bombs hidden in a building they couldn't see into.

I don't think the Beyonders have any involvement in battle world, it's just all the multiverse's arks smushed together. It's the universes trying to recover.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 30, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Doom did not kill the Beyonders.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, either the library exploded too soon or the Beyonders destroyed it before it could reach them. Otherwise Doom wouldn't have been shouting noooooooo

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I didn't catch that was what the "No!" was about I thought it was him pissed the explosion was going to take him out as well as the Beyonders in a classic bit of Doom huburis "Doom shall watch you explode as Doom saves the universe, Doom should have steped back another hundred feet. RICHARDS!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did we ever learn what Nick Fury whispered to Thor?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

You're not hot enough to be Thor.

Thus a hot chick is now Thor.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
In the issue where they watch an incursion with the Black Priests on another world (sorry, don't remember the issue # but it was when there were two in a row, that and another with Mapmakers, almost identical, and I think Namor and Black Panther were watching them?), the Black Priests sense that they're being observed and ask who it is, and whether they are having the honor of being watched by the "Ebony Kings". Does anyone know if this was just a mistake (which would hopefully get fixed when collected)? I can't remember any other reference to Ebony Kings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jeffe posted:

In the issue where they watch an incursion with the Black Priests on another world (sorry, don't remember the issue # but it was when there were two in a row, that and another with Mapmakers, almost identical, and I think Namor and Black Panther were watching them?), the Black Priests sense that they're being observed and ask who it is, and whether they are having the honor of being watched by the "Ebony Kings". Does anyone know if this was just a mistake (which would hopefully get fixed when collected)? I can't remember any other reference to Ebony Kings.

It's NA #13, Unlimited won't lemme open that specific issue so I can't check, but you're sure they didn't say Ivory Kings?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

No, and I hope we don't, because there's no way it'll make any sense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

No this was a thing that definitely came up.
In the early days people thought that there were two sets of players, the Ebony Kings and the Ivory Kings. (Ala how there is a white and black side in chess.)

And it proved very popular, back when the idea was all the big fractions were alternate evil versions of the Illumanti. (The Mapmakers were Tony, the Black Priests were Dr. Strange, the Ebony and Ivoy Kings were Black Bolt and Black Panther.)

I think Tom Berevort has since said that the Ebony King reference was a mistake.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Fury says something that causes Thor to feel the need to do something Unworthy.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
They definitely say Ebony King. Here's a screengrab I just made.

I'm pretty sure it's just a typo though. I'm not expecting an eleventh hour twist where a new faction is introduced.

Edit: beaten.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

zoux posted:

Probably will in Thor # 8 when her identity is revealed

Tamizander Rey
Jul 14, 2004
Gentlemen! Chop off my head with such velocity, that the blood gushing from my neck propels my lifeless body all the way to Phoenix!

SirDan3k posted:

That is why Doom killed them all. He blew up their universe with one of their own universe destroying Molecule Man bombs hidden in a building they couldn't see into.

I don't think the Beyonders have any involvement in battle world, it's just all the multiverse's arks smushed together. It's the universes trying to recover.

Is this confirmed anywhere or are we all rolling with this? I didn't take that from the issue at all.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Since he apparently didn't get his bomb into the Beyonder dimension he didn't kill them all but I'd still bet he killed enough to give the arks breathing room while the Beyonders regroup.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think that if he had killed even a single one it would have been explicitly pointed out.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd like to think Franklin and Valeria and Doom work to recreate what's left of reality and then we get a nice book featuring something like Adult Franklin, adult Valeria, Hope, Blue Marvel, Hyperion, Spider Uk, Ex Nihilo, Abyss, Starbrand, Nightmask, Manifold and Doom trying to seed universes and create a multiverse and poo poo.

:( all my favorites are like dead

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

I think that if he had killed even a single one it would have been explicitly pointed out.

I think everything going white in the explosion was about as much indication as they needed after Hyperion's team proved the Beyonders "mortal" in the narative.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

SirDan3k posted:

I think everything going white in the explosion was about as much indication as they needed after Hyperion's team proved the Beyonders "mortal" in the narative.

FWIW I interpreted the "no" as "it didn't work, the bomb went off and didn't kill any Beyonders because of power levels or some poo poo" but I guess we'll have to wait and see. At least, I assume we will.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Aaron is going to do it.

Aaron doesn't know his limits.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Tamizander Rey posted:

Is this confirmed anywhere or are we all rolling with this? I didn't take that from the issue at all.

It was what I took away as well, before checking the thread. I'm certainly not totally sure that's what happened.

Owen Reece is a Beyonder-designed ticking time-bomb for all the universes where he exists, and shares a simultaneous consciousness. When a universe's Molecule Man dies, it also dies. Doom is a messiah to the Swans. Their religion's most sacred act is executing a Molecule Man, and destroying a universe to thwart the death of all others. Do they even know that's why they're doing it? Not recalling if that was explicitly stated. Either way. they are wholly devoted to finding these men, and ending them. Those that betrayed their tenets, and looked upon Doom's work were enraged enough to turn on him. What could anger them enough to go against their God-Emperor (of) Doom? Perhaps the sight of countless iterations of their enemy, stockpiled instead of destroyed? I do think they were in the Library, which was hurled at the Beyonders, and their pre-emptive destruction was the sudden great loss of universes. I don't know if the spiral universe formation itself was supposed to illustrate that as well, or if Hickman did intend something different. I do hope he maybe writes something to clarify later, but it wouldn't hurt me if it stood on it's own either.

One minor thing from the recent books that has annoyed me a bit, is the huge discrepancy in how the artists have illustrated the Beyonders. From varied organic forms by one, to some of the Transformer knock-off i had in the 80s by the other... I guess if any beings have an excuse to be rendered differently, it's them, but I feel like it happened because they didn't communicate. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit on a Hickman-plotted title, I don't know.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is Steve really supposed to still be the representation of "Life"? Nothing throughout the run really backs that up.

• Locked thread