Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That is some good music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
It was great getting to a new area in XC and waiting for the sun to set/rise to hear the other track. Valak Mountains night was probably the most memorable transition, especially with the crystals all lighting up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently there will be some Skell model kits.

http://nintendoeverything.com/kotobukiya-will-produce-skell-model-kits-for-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:nws:Lol it gets worse.:nws:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Thanks Shawn Taylor, you saved me the effort of looking them up myself and I gave your clickbait article a look instead. :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

"Oh my god this is disgusting, hey everybody look at this, isn't it gross, god, check out that cameltoe, just despicable!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

children as young as 13 can legally consent to sexual activity in much of Japan.
This isn't true, by the way.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I am going to be the loving wierdo here and point out that the article clearly indicates that there are multiple sexualized costumes you can put on Lyn, yet all pictures shown are from the one bikini. One is not multiple. Plus

Motto posted:

This isn't true, by the way.

That site is bad at doing something that's supposed to be close to reporting.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I am going to be the loving wierdo here and point out that the article clearly indicates that there are multiple sexualized costumes you can put on Lyn, yet all pictures shown are from the one bikini. One is not multiple. Plus

That site is bad at doing something that's supposed to be close to reporting.

Just got linked to it and this is the 4th outfit like it so... it's not exactly hard to believe.

I'll just ask, how important to the plot is she in the full game because if she's like Nowi in Awakening and I can just bench her forever and never have to see her again that would be pretty cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, it's not hard to believe, I know there's some messed up stuff there but that's still a lovely article.

I believe you can bench her when you get a second new character since you start with her and the white-haired lady and the active party size is 4. But it's easier to just ignore the skimpy clothing and instead put her in sick battle armor.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just got linked to it and this is the 4th outfit like it so... it's not exactly hard to believe.

I'll just ask, how important to the plot is she in the full game because if she's like Nowi in Awakening and I can just bench her forever and never have to see her again that would be pretty cool.

She's important.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Really? Is that where we're going with this? "OMG I can't believe that there's even a possibility you can put such filthy clothes on this young girl, it just ruins the character for me completely! Why I'm so outraged I'm benching her as soon as possible!"

You could, like, I dunno, not put her in skimpy poo poo and then not have to think about it then? Or is the possibility just tainting it that much for you? Seems like a bit much to spite a single character for when that stuff looks exactly the same on any other female character. Really all it is is an unfortunate byproduct of the fact that all the playable characters follow the exact same clothing template and wear the exact same clothes with no variations unique to the character unlike the original Xenoblade.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 1, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, there's a ton of other equipment you can put on the character that's more suitable for exploring a harsh alien environment. Like striped sweaters.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm confused am I forced to dress my characters slutty?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm confused am I forced to dress my characters slutty?

No, there's options to dress up characters separately from their stats. Though I think it's hidden behind either NG+ or DLC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also a big selling point of the game they were touting was the ability to support different armor/weapon manufacturers and get better stats on the kind of armor you liked.

Not sure how that plays out in the game. Some of the armor armor looks :krad:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Lyn is probably the third most important character, pretty endearing and also required for plenty of story missions.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dastardly posted:

Lyn is probably the third most important character, pretty endearing and also required for plenty of story missions.

I guess Ill just put her in a slick business suit or a cool cyber gear. Darn!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dastardly posted:

As far as I can tell the game's party is basically the avatar, Elma, Lyn, and one of 40 random other characters that are sort of there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Really? Is that where we're going with this? "OMG I can't believe that there's even a possibility you can put such filthy clothes on this young girl, it just ruins the character for me completely! Why I'm so outraged I'm benching her as soon as possible!"

You could, like, I dunno, not put her in skimpy poo poo and then not have to think about it then? Or is the possibility just tainting it that much for you? Seems like a bit much to spite a single character for when that stuff looks exactly the same on any other female character. Really all it is is an unfortunate byproduct of the fact that all the playable characters follow the exact same clothing template and wear the exact same clothes with no variations unique to the character unlike the original Xenoblade.

It's more like, in all honesty, I've seen her default outfit- and every single other armor piece I've seen on her is a bikini or something. I haven't seen any armor on her that doesn't look stupid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe because every article on it 'Oh man, look how terrible this is!!!!' *posts 20 pictures of a 13 year old in a bikini* Click here to see more!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fish Fry Andy posted:

As far as I can tell the game's party is basically the avatar, Elma, Lyn, and one of 40 random other characters that are sort of there.

Those 40 characters still manage to have more depth than you'd expect, since all or nearly all of them have a chain of Kizuna quests attached to them which focuses on them specifically and such. Most streamers never saw most of them due to rushing and the fact that they're too lazy to rotate Elma and Lyn out of the party. Some of them don't even bother recruiting a proper 4th character and instead rely on player rentals.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, unlike in original Xenoblade, there's a tooooon of cutscenes in the Normal and Kizuna quests here, not just the main story. Well there is that one with Melia but whatever, that's just one.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Infinity Gaia posted:

Those 40 characters still manage to have more depth than you'd expect, since all or nearly all of them have a chain of Kizuna quests attached to them which focuses on them specifically and such. Most streamers never saw most of them due to rushing and the fact that they're too lazy to rotate Elma and Lyn out of the party. Some of them don't even bother recruiting a proper 4th character and instead rely on player rentals.

Yeah, but I would be amazed if the recruitables actually played a role in the main plot and didn't really act as extras. I thought that the main party of Xenoblade was pretty well integrated into most of the game, and the idea of having defined, fleshed out party members that actually have roles tied into the main plot is one of the things I actually like about JRPGs.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
It's been a bit annoying to watch streams at times because a guy might be catching up on quests someone else did 20 levels earlier. It's hard to pinpoint where exactly in the game they are. Also I don't think I've seen anyone recruit the healer that Dengeki Online were talking about. But at the same time it's good that there's flexibility like that.
The true constant though seems to be that everyone uses the most annoying character in the game for long periods of times as their 4th character. He can't possibly get any worse in the dub.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I have learned that Streamers are the exemplars of gamers and they have scarecams to show how much they care and please subscribe and donate!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dastardly posted:

It's been a bit annoying to watch streams at times because a guy might be catching up on quests someone else did 20 levels earlier. I don't think I've seen anyone recruit the healer that Dengeki Online were talking about. But at the same time it's good that there's flexibility like that.
The true constant though seems to be that everyone uses the most annoying character in the game for long periods of times as their 4th character. He can't possibly get any worse in the dub.

I do not comprehend why they all add Fog Christoph to their party. I really don't. His skillset seems mediocre and his voice is super whiny and annoying. With all the options available, you'd think they'd add in LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE over him.

I have yet to see a streamer use overly flamboyant black gay dude in their party, and this saddens me greatly.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Are you telling me he's recruitable? That's great. You hit the jackpot, I was indeed talking about Fog 'niiiiii-saaaaaan' Cristoph. He's also a Fullmetal Jaguar like Elma so there's even an overlap in class. He must have a ridiculously good unique skill or something to be worth using.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Infinity Gaia posted:

I have yet to see a streamer use overly flamboyant black gay dude in their party, and this saddens me greatly.
Holy poo poo, there is one? I don't even care about his stats, I'm gonna break my "no spoilers" rule and beeline for him and never take him out of my party.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, there is one? I don't even care about his stats, I'm gonna break my "no spoilers" rule and beeline for him and never take him out of my party.

He's pretty great. Though I don't know his name or when you recruit him. He's even in the game as a hologram statue for you to decorate your apartment with. I covered the names in the list just in case.

Two images of him.
http://imgur.com/erCfIJc

http://imgur.com/IF5Hov9

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 1, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dastardly posted:

Are you telling me he's recruitable? That's great. You hit the jackpot, I was indeed talking about Fog 'niiiiii-saaaaaan' Cristoph. He's also a Fullmetal Jaguar like Elma so there's even an overlap in class. He must have a ridiculously good unique skill or something to be worth using.

Oh, huh, I figured it was a given. Like I said, I haven't seen anyone using him, but like literally every human character who displays any kind of personality besides Van Damme seems to be recruitable, so I'd assume he'd be. If not, gently caress this game for having Fog Christoph and not Space Gay.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
It almost kinda seems like it's just gonna end up in a Chrono Cross-like situation where you probably only care about maybe 1/3 of the playable roster at best and the rest just sort of fall into personal preferences for skins/voices on a certain class.

Also rental avatar characters seem like a complete waste of money. Once you get a 4th actual character for free, I don't really see what reason you'd have to ever hire one. Other than to like... look at em I guess.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
It's neat seeing streamers rent each others characters but other than that it only seems useful for filling up your party in the beginning of the game.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh, huh, I figured it was a given. Like I said, I haven't seen anyone using him, but like literally every human character who displays any kind of personality besides Van Damme seems to be recruitable, so I'd assume he'd be. If not, gently caress this game for having Fog Christoph and not Space Gay.
I've heard people say he's recruitable but I don't have any proof of it. Anyway if he's not then I'm going to beg Monolith Soft to consider him if they decide to add more dlc characters.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

It almost kinda seems like it's just gonna end up in a Chrono Cross-like situation where you probably only care about maybe 1/3 of the playable roster at best and the rest just sort of fall into personal preferences for skins/voices on a certain class.

Also rental avatar characters seem like a complete waste of money. Once you get a 4th actual character for free, I don't really see what reason you'd have to ever hire one. Other than to like... look at em I guess.

Nah, it's gonna be better than Chrono Cross because this games dozens of recruitable characters have personalities beyond having a random accent.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Infinity Gaia posted:

Nah, it's gonna be better than Chrono Cross because this games dozens of recruitable characters have personalities beyond having a random accent.

And you know this because...?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SatansBestBuddy posted:

People have been streaming the game for several days?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Streams, man. Streams. I know a tiny bit of moon so I was able to at least determine they were actual CHARACTERS, even if they're not super deep ones. Plus, kinda hard to have character-specific questlines if said character has no personality beyond a generic accent.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Streams, man. Streams. I know a tiny bit of moon so I was able to at least determine they were actual CHARACTERS, even if they're not super deep ones. Plus, kinda hard to have character-specific questlines if said character has no personality beyond a generic accent.

To be fair, literally every character in Chrono Cross also had their own specific questline. Some were ridiculously phoned in and some were huge, but they all at least had one and some even had multiple.

The accent filter was only a thing in the main plot. Everyone had unique recruitment dialogue (some had like five different unique recruitment dialogues) and their own dialogue in their sidequests.

Having a sidequest doesn't automatically make the character developed.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 1, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Skell fuel can't melt Game Streams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the article should have featured an exhaustive photoset of the sexualized 13-year-old, but it's still bad that the content is there in the game. Imagine scooping yourself a delicious dish of ice cream, but you have to be careful because there's a turd in the ice cream tub. The turd is Literal Pedophilia.

I still don't really buy that just "scribble the number 18 over the number 13" method will work, because that's not going to make her not look like a tiny baby child.

• Locked thread