Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

look man i just don't think a white Shang Chi is a great idea, call me crazy

I like it, it explains his father being a yellow peril villain as a persona adopted by some white guy trying to intimidate people using knowledge gleaned from kung-fu flicks.

I'd go with mixed race for realism though, anybody that'd base his criminal persona on Fu Manchu probably digs Asian women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be honest, I find Madkal's point that Danny not being white changes his and Luke's dynamic a more salient point than all this "Oh but don't you poor Asians see that we simply don't wanna be racist against you guys by making him Asian" stuff.

I mean, frankly, I used to be the exact same way. I argued up and down the street that Spider-Man has to stay white with all the exact same flavors of arguments used here, I busted out the storyline analysis, I listed all the themes and tones that it would contradict, I even pulled the amazing "Aren't you actually the real racists for saying his race doesn't matter" go-to card. And I've long since realized that I don't actually give a poo poo about that stuff at the expense of diversity, and that nobody should, when we're casting the new Spidey in 2015 and it's an actual assembly line of identical pale-rear end white boys copypasted five times over. The problem is as insidious as it is exhaustive and I simply do not give a poo poo about all them spergy mitigating factors anymore.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Plus white guy fulfilling an asian legacy and becoming the best at a certain martial art was already showed in all its greatness in the cinematic masterpiece known as Samurai Cop.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is it too late to make Daredevil black?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Plus white guy fulfilling an asian legacy and becoming the best at a certain martial art was already showed in all its greatness in the cinematic masterpiece known as Samurai Cop, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Blind Justice, The Quest...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Whoa whoa are you saying that Bloodsport is not a cinematic masterpiece?

I find it problematic that your rear end isn't being kicked right now.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

TwoPair posted:

Whoa whoa are you saying that Bloodsport is not a cinematic masterpiece?

I find it problematic that your rear end isn't being kicked right now.

How are you getting that from what I posted? Bloodsport rocks.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Hakkesshu posted:

If they really wanted to do something different they should cast a woman as Iron Fist

I would watch the hell out of a Wu Ao-Shi series/movie/whatever.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SirDan3k posted:

I like it, it explains his father being a yellow peril villain as a persona adopted by some white guy trying to intimidate people using knowledge gleaned from kung-fu flicks.

Just make him Aldrich Killian's son

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Anyone who's worried about the "why does the guy who goes to Magic Asia to get Kung Fu have to be Asian?" backlash should be reminded that this show follows the one about the black guy who goes to prison to get bulletproof.

I think the best possible outcome is to make Daniel San half white/full blown American who's Asian dad has a midlife crisis and goes searching for his heritage, that way you get fish out of water in K'un Lun(which I think they should make a little more multi ethnic anyway, why not sprinkle some Sikhs and Zulus in there) plus you can play off everyone's expectations assumptions like him knowing martial arts/Chinese because he's Asian. Then when he becomes a hero, have Luke Cage point out the cliche for laughs, owning it.

Also we can still have Randall as White Fist 1915

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DC are doing some weird projects for Machinima which are going to end up interesting or terrible. A weird Starman reality/competition show and a Dial H for Hero adaptation (that uses a magic app instead of a magic phone).

quote:

DC’s Hero Project

Machinima, Blue Ribbon Content, and DC Entertainment are setting out to discover the next great creator for the world of DC Comics. Eight contestants compete in elimination challenges to develop a live-action short video based on their own interpretations of characters from DC Comics’ Starman comic book series. Well-known guest judges and celebrity special guests will join bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and a panel of esteemed judges to oversee the entire competition.

#4Hero

A modern adaptation of DC Comics’ cult-favorite classic “Dial H For Hero”, #4Hero is a live-action, VFX-heavy action-comedy about a young woman named Nellie Tribble who is quietly desperate to make her mark on the world, but wholly unprepared to do so. Nellie stumbles upon a life-altering smartphone app that allows her to instantly become a Super Hero for a short amount of time. The problem is her super powers are dictated by whatever is trending on social media at that moment, and they are always only semi-useful

source

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have your winner for the Hero Project right now, its called just do an adaptation of Robinson's Starman series.

#4hero is almost interesting, except for the "trending on social media" part. That's just stupid.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's good and cool.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The general idea of #4hero isn't that bad as an updated version of the concept. The one part that's problematic is that it relies on trending topics, so the powers will likely be heavy on pop culture references instead of out-there weirdness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

The general idea of #4hero isn't that bad as an updated version of the concept. The one part that's problematic is that it relies on trending topics, so the powers will likely be heavy on pop culture references instead of out-there weirdness.

The entire premise is already primed to become super dated.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

muscles like this? posted:

The entire premise is already primed to become super dated.

So?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's a good excuse to give them different powers, even in reality it would just end up with them getting powers of random one direction members, film or tv show spoilers and RIPCELEBRITY.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

#4hero is almost interesting, except for the "trending on social media" part. That's just stupid.

5/5:

"Our top story, today a hostage situation downtown was defused when hero #ilovetequila-Man arrived on scene"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I have your winner for the Hero Project right now, its called just do an adaptation of Robinson's Starman series.

James Robinson is going to participate in a wig and will be swiftly eliminated in the first round

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So after this week's Flash something's bugging me: does anybody in Central City (or hell, in Starling City for that matter) lock their loving doors? Because Iris just waltzes in to STAR Labs while Barry's getting his head checked and nobody even noticed until she made a zinger. You'd figure they'd at least try to close the place off when they know Wells is out for blood, but I guess not.

Also, my brother just started catching up with this show and brought up an excellent question: did the show ever address how Star Labs keeps the lights on at this point? They're down to 2 employees who do nothing but Flash Support, so I don't know how they're doing... anything, much less how Cisco and Caitlin get paid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wells would be a pretty poor planner if he didn't have some kind of way to pay the bills in between blowing up the particle accelerator and whatever his endgame is.

Also, there is a deleted scene online from this week's episode which shows that yes, they do actually feed the metas in no-lunch-supermax. Apparently it works through the complicated process of them telling Caitlin what they want to eat and she gets it for them as the scene is her complaining about knowing their eating habits too well while pushing a cart loaded with take out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wells would be a pretty poor planner if he didn't have some kind of way to pay the bills in between blowing up the particle accelerator and whatever his endgame is.

Also, there is a deleted scene online from this week's episode which shows that yes, they do actually feed the metas in no-lunch-supermax. Apparently it works through the complicated process of them telling Caitlin what they want to eat and she gets it for them as the scene is her complaining about knowing their eating habits too well while pushing a cart loaded with take out.

Yeah, but it does raise the questions of how they use the bathroom.

I know it was for budgetary reasons, but it would have been nice if STAR Labs was a bit more of an actual, functional place, instead of a stadium sized building with 3 people working in it and zero security. They still could have had Wells running the place, since he would have future knowledge to make a fortune.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Every few months her power is going to be a black person murdered by cops.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is exactly one locked door in Starling City, and it leads to Verdant's basement.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something bugging me about last night's Flash is that I thought they already knew that Eiling knew Barry was the Flash.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I thought I was the only one that realized that. He even calls him Mr Allen in the Firestorm episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Powers got renewed for a second season. I should probably watch it at some point.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/powers-renewed-second-season-at-793768

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Powers got renewed for a second season. I should probably watch it at some point.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/powers-renewed-second-season-at-793768

Is there a (edit: legal) way to watch it if you don't own a playstation?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is there a way to watch it if you don't own a playstation?

You can watch it on a browser, I don't know if you pay individually per episode or have to subscribe though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

You can watch it on a browser, I don't know if you pay individually per episode or have to subscribe though.

I'm probably not going to make a playstation account without having a playstation.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You need more than just a Playstation right? You need a paid PSN account? I don't know because I immediately signed up for PSN when I got the system, so I didn't see if I could watch it without paying for the premium account.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

You need more than just a Playstation right? You need a paid PSN account? I don't know because I immediately signed up for PSN when I got the system, so I didn't see if I could watch it without paying for the premium account.

You can buy it.

PS+ users get it for free.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fallin1 posted:

I thought I was the only one that realized that. He even calls him Mr Allen in the Firestorm episode.

Yeah there was a flashback where it turns out he was awake when Barry took off his mask in the first episode where they meet.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Supergirl going straight to series

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wasn't aware that there was any doubt. Does that mean that Legends is still technically in doubt too?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

I wasn't aware that there was any doubt. Does that mean that Legends is still technically in doubt too?

No, Supergirl was just a pilot for CBS pilot season. Like all network shows they shoot the pilot first and then if the network likes it they pick it up. Legends was ordered straight to series and they've not even shot a pilot yet. They won't start shooting at all till late August since it's a midseason show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Supergirl was always a pretty solid bet for being picked up, unless the pilot was atrocious. The production team have a proven track record with this format, and the genre is hot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Supergirl was always a pretty solid bet for being picked up, unless the pilot was atrocious. The production team have a proven track record with this format, and the genre is hot.

The only real question was whether it fit the CBS brand because they rarely go outside of their comfort zone of procedural law, medical, and cop dramas.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Something bugging me about last night's Flash is that I thought they already knew that Eiling knew Barry was the Flash.

Eiling found out in the Plastique episode, but I think he only told Wells about it, and I don't remember Wells sharing that with anyone else.

Someone else just posted that he called The Flash "Mr. Allen" at some point between the above and now, but I don't remember that, and I feel like the writers wouldn't make that much of a continuity error.

Skwirl posted:

Every few months her power is going to be a black person murdered by cops.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Eiling found out in the Plastique episode, but I think he only told Wells about it, and I don't remember Wells sharing that with anyone else.

Someone else just posted that he called The Flash "Mr. Allen" at some point between the above and now, but I don't remember that, and I feel like the writers wouldn't make that much of a continuity error.

The "Eiling knows about Barry" bit was covered in the "Fallout" episode when Eiling was after Firestorm.