Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pomp posted:

I am not ready for people to start dying next friday.

Nobody dies this week at least :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pomp posted:

When you turn your head, you will die. :unsmigghh:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

Nobody dies this week at least :unsmith:
Instead we get a pre screening of Kakyoin's death :smith:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pomp posted:

I am very ready

[I like everyone, and avdol 2 is gonna have way more impact than boring avdol 1, but aside from dog getting maimed it's been a lonnnnng stretch of relatively low stakes feeling jojo especially after the shortness and plot packedness of p1 and 2]

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 1, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The biggest problem with Stardust Crusaders is that when the first death occurs during the fight with the Stand User right before Dio, it makes every villain up to that point look exceptionally incompetent.

I mean, sure, you have guys like D'arby who came REALLY close to winning, but it still negates things when you just sweep away their battle with no real consequences.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 1, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
In terms of results, Gray Fly was Dio's most effective henchman in Part 3.

Dude turned what would've been a weekend trip into a two-month-long sojourn.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ice is the most effective Stand user in Part 3. He kills two dudes, or one dude and a dog. DIO only kills Kak if you don't count Joseph's one or two minutes of being dead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Vanilla Ice bodied the most crusaders, but used his stand very sub-optimally. That he killed two characters is more a testament to how powerful his stand was rather than how adept he was at using it. Had he played his cards right, he could've taken everybody.

Part 3's death count doesn't particularly bug me, though mostly because it's not something that exists in a vacuum. Jojo's shounen. You always knew they were going to reach Egypt. There was never any doubt they'd beat Dio. The fun (for me at least) was seeing how the crew got themselves out of jams, and boy what jams a lot of them were. A handful of their opponents were legitimately incompetent, but most of the time I felt like the Joestar Egypt tour group's victories were fair calls, triumphing over adversity through their wits.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

Aurain posted:

Ice is the most effective Stand user in Part 3. He kills two dudes, or one dude and a dog. DIO only kills Kak if you don't count Joseph's one or two minutes of being dead.

Was gonna say this. For all the hype he was suppose to have, DIO only managed to kill a weird honor student.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think it's that Ice uses his Stand sub-optimally, but that Cream is an extremely clunky stand with a huge drawback to balance the raw power of it. Ice's big flaw is that he somehow doesn't realise he's a vampire. Like The Hand, the "erases existence" power is too useful to the point where you have to give it a huge drawback like "user is dumb as gently caress".

The corkscrew move he uses is effective as hell and would have wiped them all out if he had got over his plot stupidity from the get-go.

Previews: http://jojo-animation.com/contents/story/41.html

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

it makes every villain up to that point look exceptionally incompetent.
They are exceptionally incompetent. Just off the top of my head, Strength, Yellow Temperance, Lovers, Death 13, or Bastet could have totally wiped out the party had their users been smarter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Death 13 gets a pass because it's a baby, and maybe Strength because he's a perverted Orangutan, but the others? Nope.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Araki is more interested in making the villains freaky pervert crazy etc... rather than competent. It's a good thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with competent villains:

Dio uses the mask in London instead of insisting on the symbolism of using Joestar blood, comes back and wrecks the Joestar mansion all in one go with an army of minions, takes over England (and then the world) as planned before the few Ripple users can do anything about it.

Then he has to find a way to deal with the pillar men or whatever.

The end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dio pushes Jonathan down a cliff in the woods or something on the Joestar estate and says he fell and died.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

They are exceptionally incompetent. Just off the top of my head, Strength, Yellow Temperance, Lovers, Death 13, or Bastet could have totally wiped out the party had their users been smarter.

I disagree, and I've always found it weird that people keep insisting on this point. Forever did lose due to losing his temper, and Mannish Boy lost because he toyed with the group instead of killing them, but Yellow Temperance screwed up more due to not knowing what Kakyoin's personality was like without the flesh bud than anything, Steely Dan could have killed a couple party members but would have had to die in the process, and Mariah actually had a really crappy power (to the point where it felt like Abdul was going easy on her).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can you really blame Avdol though? A beautiful woman in his native Egypt. He probably thought he might have a chance and didn't exactly plan on dying.

New EoH trailer. Still looks like crap with little improved over the demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQdHrhFjEKE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Watching the anime has definitely taught me that Part 3 is better in an episodic format. When I was reading it, I got through it pretty quick, and boy does it get kinda stale. It's a lot better as a "What absurd situation will those Crusaders find themselves in THIS week!" rather than blazing through it. Part 4 doesn't suffer from this as bad as it breaks up big fights with "They go to an Italian restaurant" and "They play a dice game that ends with one of them losing a finger and a ruined house." The Stand of the Week formula just gets old when you're reading and it experience it like three times in half an hour.

I ranked Part 3 pretty low before, but this anime has given me way more love for it now.

I forgot the game was called Oh, That's A Baseball!!

JoJo's is loving stupid as hell

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Silver2195 posted:

I disagree, and I've always found it weird that people keep insisting on this point. Forever did lose due to losing his temper, and Mannish Boy lost because he toyed with the group instead of killing them, but Yellow Temperance screwed up more due to not knowing what Kakyoin's personality was like without the flesh bud than anything, Steely Dan could have killed a couple party members but would have had to die in the process, and Mariah actually had a really crappy power (to the point where it felt like Abdul was going easy on her).
All of these are arguable except Yellow Temperance, I think. Rubber Soul was pure incompetence. His stand was amazingly useful both in combat and out, but he thought that eating live beetles, backbreaking thieves, and cackling like a maniac was normal behavior. He studied Kakyoin long enough to know that he did the rerorerorero thing but not long enough to know that Kakyoin is generally quiet and peaceful and not a screaming moron. If Rubber Soul had his wits together, he could have had a total party kill. Then Dio probably would have killed him when he came to collect his reward.

Yes I understand that Jojo villains (and protagonists, for that matter) being giant fuckups is a big part of the charm of the series. It makes it all the more tense when we get villains like Cars who don't screw around.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm just super ready for 「STAR  BATINUM」

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vanilla Ice would've been killed far sooner were it not for the fact he was a vampire. He gets stabbed in the brain, like, two or three times by Polnareff.

Mucktron posted:

Was gonna say this. For all the hype he was suppose to have, DIO only managed to kill a weird honor student.

To be fair, he also killed Joseph until Star Platinum developed the ability to perform vampire blood transfusions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SP only beats his heart, it's not like he pops open one of DIO's veins and siphons him like a gas tank.

Any fan artists who wanna go ahead and draw that though, I won't hate it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

I forgot the game was called Oh, That's A Baseball!!

JoJo's is loving stupid as hell

I can't read that without affecting some stereotypical Italian-American accent. OHHH, That's-A Baseball!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A confused man walks into a sports department store and asks a store employee to bring him a baseball.

"Oh! That's a baseball!"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aurain posted:

I don't think it's that Ice uses his Stand sub-optimally, but that Cream is an extremely clunky stand with a huge drawback to balance the raw power of it. Ice's big flaw is that he somehow doesn't realise he's a vampire.
Vanilla Ice's flaw was that he wanted to instill the fear of Dio in his opponents. Had he just waited in the darkness of the only staircase the crusaders had to go up, he could've swooped down and eliminated them all immediately in one go.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

D'Arby is a 3 parter and Avdol's death will probably be the end of next weeks episode. This weeks ends as Jotaro takes his hat off, so there's a fair chunk of D'Arby left.

That said, the next episode is called something part 1, so it's probably called Vanilla Ice 1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aurain posted:

This weeks ends as Jotaro takes his hat off, so there's a fair chunk of D'Arby left.

So I have to wait another week for YES YES YES? :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I have to wait another week for YES YES YES? :(

Yeah, I just looked through Viz vol 13 now and we're one and a half (roughly) chapters of D'Arby to go and it cuts off moments before YES YES YES.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Aurain posted:

That said, the next episode is called something part 1, so it's probably called Vanilla Ice 1.

Kenny G. Part 1

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Aurain posted:

D'Arby is a 3 parter and Avdol's death will probably be the end of next weeks episode. This weeks ends as Jotaro takes his hat off, so there's a fair chunk of D'Arby left.

More like a 2.3 parter, tbh

Aurain posted:

Probably "The Spirit of Emptiness Part 1"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Probably "The Spirit of Emptiness Part 1"

I think so, yeah. It was very wordy.

The official anime site just got a bit sexier.
http://jojo-animation.com/

It's a full body shot of DIO in his DIO's World get up with the face blacked out, if you can't visit it.

e:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 1, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Aurain posted:

I think so, yeah. It was very wordy.

The official anime site just got a bit sexier.
http://jojo-animation.com/

It's a full body shot of DIO in his DIO's World get up with the face blacked out, if you can't visit it.

e:

Admiring Dio's package atm

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Admiring Dio's package atm

rear end to mouth

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Cool Ice confirmed.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The bulges...they are coming.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Miasma of the Void sounds pretty awesome, Cool Ice, not as much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cool Ice sucks, but eh.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MelvinBison posted:

Cool Ice confirmed.
That is really disappointing, but completely understandable and expected.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
It's what ASB used, so I guess there's no helping it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wonder if something happened in the time between Viz publishing SC and ASB, because he's Vanilla in Viz.

• Locked thread