Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Pass. If it's one thing I'm not a fan of it's "shivers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ConanThe3rd posted:

Pass. If it's one thing I'm not a fan of it's "shivers"

:thejoke:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

So is there's any of the pre-tournament episodes I can skip in Arc-V? (Following the first Reiji duel)

All those duels have stuff happen in them that gets brought up later, except for Quiz duel so you can skip it. Quiz duel is also easily the worst duel of the show, but the cooking duel isn't much better. The last two duels of the qualifiers are more than worth watching though, they are good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PowerBeard posted:

Someone should make a "Shivers" compilation to help people catch up.

The Final Shivers is too strong for a compilation.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm too busy on the Mon-Wed to run the tournament, we're pretty late today to be doing it, so if we do it tomorrow at 7 PM will the teams be there?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
50/50, I'll probably go to FNM if I have the opportunity but I usually do not.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just the quiz one.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

5D's has a very good first half and a very bad second half, Zexal is generally considered the worst Yugioh has to offer, and Arc V is ongoing but really good thus far.

I'd recommend watching 5D's or Arc V as good shonen shows regardless of whether people liked the first series or not. They're both good on their own merits and either should be good for watching if you want to get back into Yugioh. Arc V does have a lot of allusions to the previous series if that bothers you, but I never watched Zexal and I was still able to get into it so don't let that stop you.

Alright. Sounds good.

BirchBeerFloat
Jul 26, 2013
I feel like people tend to overstate just how bad the second half of 5D's is. While it's not as good as the first half (save the awful Professor Frank duel) and it has quite a few major problems (including dull new characters, the metaplot grinding to a screeching halt, some truly moronic subplots, and some of the absolute worst duels of the franchise), there's still enough good moments (Crash City, the Team Ragnarok duel, the final duels) that makes it worth recommending (with caveats) if you really want more YuGiOh. Just skip the Team Unicorn duel, for the love of everything skip the Team Unicorn duel.

The thing about Arc-V's allusions (at least so far) is that unlike Zexal's, they didn't just throw them in and make them a major part of the plot without worrying about whether or not it made sense (and it rarely, if ever, made sense in Zexal). Take the Sora vs. Shun duel, for example. It's an allusion to the Lua vs. Bommer duel of 5D's, but you don't have to have seen 5D's to understand and enjoy it, nor does it feel like there are huge pieces of context missing if you didn't. Of course, there's still plenty of time left for them to mess this up.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

BirchBeerFloat posted:

I feel like people tend to overstate just how bad the second half of 5D's is. While it's not as good as the first half (save the awful Professor Frank duel) and it has quite a few major problems (including dull new characters, the metaplot grinding to a screeching halt, some truly moronic subplots, and some of the absolute worst duels of the franchise), there's still enough good moments (Crash City, the Team Ragnarok duel, the final duels) that makes it worth recommending (with caveats) if you really want more YuGiOh. Just skip the Team Unicorn duel, for the love of everything skip the Team Unicorn duel.

It has its moments sure (Jack trying to get a job, Yusei vs Antimony, Team Taiyou being kinda likable underdogs) and managed to pull together a decent finale but there's just truckloads of poo poo included in it and half of the stuff they introduced ended up going no where and/or handled pretty badly. Plus pretty much destroying any of the worldbuilding they had going on in the first season and sorta in the second season.

It's just way easier to recommend the first 64 episodes since they're much more solid and better and it is self contained arc that has a conclusion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's like, 40 or more episodes of completely worthless filler in part 2 of 5D's. Besides the sharp drop in writing quality, that's the main reason most people say to skip it. There's constant massive stretches where nothing is loving happening.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I know everyone always recommends the episode where Jack tries to get a job, but I'd also like to recommend epidode 76, in which Jack tries to be Batman. It might be my favourite episode in the series.

Jack in general is a really fun character. He can't show up in Arc-V soon enough!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I know Slur isn't going to like this but there's really no option BUT for it to be King Jack of the alternate timeline. Because if it was Jack Atlas A. He'd be older, B. He'd have Scar-Red Nova and C. He'd be end-game levels of OP.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can't wait for Gongenzaka to duel Jack. It will rule so hard.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onmi posted:

I know Slur isn't going to like this but there's really no option BUT for it to be King Jack of the alternate timeline. Because if it was Jack Atlas A. He'd be older, B. He'd have Scar-Red Nova and C. He'd be end-game levels of OP.

I can live with YuGiOh: Decade

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't wait for Gongenzaka to duel Jack. It will rule so hard.

I can't wait for Jack to punch Reiji right in the face.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Well, Jack still could have Red Nova and simply not use it. I mean, he used regular Red Archfiend in the final duel with Yusei.

We'll see I guess :shrug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well Senerio is going to be happy

http://ygorganization.com/uashield/

Moon Mirror Shield
Equip Spell Card
If the equipped monster battles an opponent’s monster during damage calculatio: The equipped monster’s ATK and DEF become equal to the ATK or DEF (whichever is higher) of the opponent’s battling monster+100, during damage calculation only. If this face-up card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Pay 500 LP; place this card on either the top or bottom of your Deck.

U.A. Dreadnought Dunker
Level 7 EARTH/Warrior 2500/1800
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 “U.A.” monster you control to the hand, except “U.A. Dreadnought Dunker”. You can only Special Summon “U.A. Dreadnought Dunker” once per turn this way. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it.

U.A. Rival Rebounder
Level 6 EARTH/Warrior 2200/2300
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 “U.A.” monster you control to the hand, except “U.A. Rival Rebounder”. You can only Special Summon “U.A. Rival Rebounder” once per turn this way. If this card is Special Summoned during the opponent’s turn or Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “U.A.” Monster from your hand or Graveyard, except “U.A. Rival Rebounder”. You can only use this effect of “U.A. Rival Rebounder” once per turn.

U.A. Signing Deal
Normal Spell Card
Special Summon 1 “U.A.” monster from your Deck, but its effects are negated, also it cannot be used as Synchro or Xyz Material for a Summon. Then you lose LP equal to the Level of the monster you Special Summoned by this effect x 300. You can only activate 1 “U.A. Signing Deal” per turn.

U.A. Penalty Box
Continuous Trap Card
At the start of the Damage Step., if your “U.A.” monster battles an opponent’s monster: You can banish that opponent’s monster until your opponent’s 2nd End Phase. You can only use this effect of “U.A. Penalty Box” once per turn. You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 “U.A.” Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jesus these U.A cards.
Rival rebounder on his lonesome just makes the deck a lot more viable.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

BirchBeerFloat posted:

The thing about Arc-V's allusions (at least so far) is that unlike Zexal's, they didn't just throw them in and make them a major part of the plot without worrying about whether or not it made sense (and it rarely, if ever, made sense in Zexal). Take the Sora vs. Shun duel, for example. It's an allusion to the Lua vs. Bommer duel of 5D's, but you don't have to have seen 5D's to understand and enjoy it, nor does it feel like there are huge pieces of context missing if you didn't. Of course, there's still plenty of time left for them to mess this up.

The team ragnarok duel is the opposite of a highlight, its a boring duel with even cheaper versions of Team 5D's put together to hype up new god cards and then they realized they were too lame to actually be god cards so it was juet a bunch of nothingness.

Sora vs Shun isnt really a reference outside of tiny dude vs tall guy. By that logic all of Syrus' duels sre set up to reference that future duel

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Penalty Box and Signing Deal are loving fantastic. Dunker is a disgrace for having the best name and the worst effect. :negative:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
U! A Rocks!
Rebounder, Midfielder, and Ace lead to plays I tell you what.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hockey U.A.s are next, right? RIGHT?

I love Penalty Box. Anything that gets Arena into your hand more easily.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God, I loving love UA. Signing Deal is one of the funniest loving cards I have seen in a good while.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shield looks half-decent for spaceships. It's Prideful Roar: The Equip Spell.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dabir posted:

Shield looks half-decent for spaceships. It's Prideful Roar: The Equip Spell.

It's much Better than prideful roar.
It turns your monster into a 'the wicked avatar'.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's much Better than prideful roar.
It turns your monster into a 'the wicked avatar'.

It's crap, the only cards I think of that it would really be relevant against is Scar Red and Killer. Not being able to attack over things is almost always your last worry when playing unconventional decks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xoidanor posted:

It's crap, the only cards I think of that it would really be relevant against is Scar Red and Killer. Not being able to attack over things is almost always your last worry when playing unconventional decks.

Better doesn't imply good yo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Except that spaceships (Victory Viper XX03, Lord British et al) all have to do exactly that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Except that spaceships (Victory Viper XX03, Lord British et al) all have to do exactly that.

United We Stand, Mage Power, Limiter Removal and Megamorph all accomplish the same but better, especially in the case of Victory Viper.

Am I being a bummer here? :ohdear:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kinda yeah.
United and Mage power I can see as being as good but for anything reaching 2500+ you need honest or an already set up field for United and mage power to actually do something.
Moon mirror doesn't have to rely on any other factors, it's just equip and attack, then if they destroy it you have the choice to get it back or set it back into the deck to search/draw later.

limiter removal also destroys all your machines so that's a temporary measure at best.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You save Limiter Removal for when you can swing in with an OTK. That's not just ships, that's any deck that uses it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hjalmar posted:

I know everyone always recommends the episode where Jack tries to get a job, but I'd also like to recommend epidode 76, in which Jack tries to be Batman. It might be my favourite episode in the series.

Sounds like Jack's having a bit of a midlife crisis.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Hjalmar posted:

Jack in general is a really fun character. He can't show up in Arc-V soon enough!

That's one of my favorite episodes too! The enemy reneges on his promise after losing a duel, so Jack beats the poo poo out of his whole gang. If only more problems were solved this way. :monocle:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Hjalmar posted:

I agree. Episode 76 just might be my favorite episode of the entire franchise because of how ridiculous it is. Between the literal pile of unconscious dudesthe fact he saves a guy's life only to punch him, and maniacal Jack laughter before he goes pro wrestling on everyone it just gets the right kind of ridiculous. Jack was the best thing about 5DS by far.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2015

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'll be around for tag duels if we end up doing it tonight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'll be in the Steam chat, waiting for the teams

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

:siren: Endorph you're needed or any members of Team Neo Xyz :siren:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fusion vs Synchro posted:

Blaze Dragon: poo poo
Blaze Dragon: I DIDN'T READ
Blaze Dragon: I DIDN'T READ THE CARD
RiggedDeath: YANG ZINGS
Myriad Truths: the ultimate foe of all duelists
Myriad Truths: literacy
RiggedDeath: ENEMY OF READING COMPREHENSION

The true constant: cards will not be read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What you dont see is Me doing the same mistake not too soon after that.