Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Don't merge all the plugins, by the way. Make sure you have the latest copy of the script and the PROGRAM both. Load all the plugins. Select all of them except for the base plugin. Right click, run script, pick the merge script. It should just work from there. But with that mod, you'll have problems merging them all into the base.

I don't know why it tells you to use the creation kit? I never use it. It should work fine from that. Save the ESP, load it up again and then check for errors, if you like.

The creation kit can't load plugins with more than one master out of the box. There's some way to fix it, but I haven't really needed the CK enough to use it.

EDIT: Program, not problem, jfc.

I'm running the latest version of both xEdit Scripts and TESVedit, that's one of the main reasons I have issues with the guide, as it's pretty drat outdated.

The first merge file I made was for towns and settlements only, minus Dragon bridge South, as it's apparently asocial and really hates being merged, according to the mod author, at least. I planned to make a separate merge file for patches, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I need the Creation Kit as I apparently have to use it for regenerating the "Navigation Mesh Info Map" (NAVI) information, which can apparently be done by opening the plugin in the Creation Kit and then saving it again. The reason I have to regenerate the NAVI information is because the guide explicitly told me to use TESVedit to delete the merged file's original one.

I guess it's to make sure that it's cohesive or something? I really have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm trying to install Dual Sheath Redux and I get the following when I try to patch it:

quote:

skyproc.exceptions.MissingMaster
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp has some missing masters:

- 1nivWiCCloaks.esp

Please activate and try again.

I'm guessing they're not playing nice but I'm not sure.

(And yes I have the cloak mods properly installed).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm trying to install Dual Sheath Redux and I get the following when I try to patch it:

I'm guessing they're not playing nice but I'm not sure.

(And yes I have the cloak mods properly installed).

Can you post your load order, just in case?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Metalocalypse posted:

If you like mods made by kryptopyr, I'd highly suggest you download and back up everything now. Seems she's having some issues with nexus mod creators and wishes to leave the :nexus: .

Key word (that I missed when I first read your post) is "creators".

kryptopyr posted:

Respectful and open discourse on Nexus doesn't seem to be possible anymore. I'm so tired of all the hate. In the past few hours alone I've been called a childish, vengeful control freak, a passive aggressive little c*** with thin skin and an elitist attitude, who is no different than the entitled morons who started this s***storm to begin with.

That's the summary from a number of different comments aimed at me. And, fyi, all these comments came from other mod authors (on the restricted Mod Authors forum) in response to what I felt was an attempt to respectfully, but strongly, voice my opinion over a mod author's right to control access to their own content. This isn't coming from idiot users with only one or two posts, but from other established mod authors.

This is actually a pretty interesting development. It looks like a good number of authors think that "taking my poo poo down in a huff" actions are petty, and are rather vicious about expressing that opinion.

eta: The weird thing is that she's going to the STEP forums and her complaint is about the quality of discussion on the Nexus forums, but why look for an alternate hosting venue if the problem is the forums? Why not just keep them on the Nexus and only discuss things on STEP or elsewhere? Seems like the easiest thing to do since she doesn't want to stop sharing her mods.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 1, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Here's the load order:

quote:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Cloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
SkyUI.esp
Uncle Sheo.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
OBIS.esp
OBISDB.esp
Montures Monstres.esp
Playable Skeletons V1.03.esp
spooky.esp
PrvtI_HeavyArmory.esp
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
ConvenientCrossbows.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
MECR_Classic_Nord_Shields.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
Actualize Apparel.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
skyforgedShields.esp
skyforgedWeapons.esp
UIExtensions.esp
LeftHandRings - Dawnguard.esp
LeftHandRings.esp
PrvtI_HeavyArmory_DG_Addon.esp
BecomeKingofSkyrim.esp
Armour_of_Yngol.esp
EliteKnightArmor.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
Automatic Variants.esp

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Here's the load order:

Put 1nivWICCloaks.esp above 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp, otherwise 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp assumes the other one isn't there, throws a shitfit, and kills the whole process.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Danaru posted:

Put 1nivWICCloaks.esp above 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp, otherwise 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp assumes the other one isn't there, throws a shitfit, and kills the whole process.

It worked. Thanks!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is WIC Cloaks better than Cloaks of Skyrim? I've always used the latter and never had any complaints, it's p awesome.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Is WIC Cloaks better than Cloaks of Skyrim? I've always used the latter and never had any complaints, it's p awesome.

I've used both for years as they're fully compatible, I don't even know which cloak is from which mod, all I know is that they're both great.

Seriously, add WIC to your load order.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 1, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

razorrozar posted:

WIC and CoS are fully compatible. No need to use one over the other.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Now if only they could get the benefit of that cape-fluttering physics stuff. Stop putting all your effort into making tits bounce and do something useful drat it!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Now if only they could get the benefit of that cape-fluttering physics stuff. Stop putting all your effort into making tits bounce and do something useful drat it!
These guys are actually working on that.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Squeegy posted:

Because that sounds pretty fun. calusari, what graphical mods do you use?

I used SMC as a base and then installed other textures I found that I thought were better on top. Natural Lighting and Atmospherics for weather/lighting

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Every time I check that mod I keep hoping they've updated for CoS, looks like they're getting closer though. Probably the mod I'm looking forward to being able to use the most right now.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

I saw one a while ago, apparently Harkon's cloak has physics and the modder made the mesh player-compatible. It was just one specific cloak though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

razorrozar posted:

I saw one a while ago, apparently Harkon's cloak has physics and the modder made the mesh player-compatible. It was just one specific cloak though.

It also looks awkward as hell unless your character is bulked out in armor due to how it just juts outward at the shoulders. It also has bad tendency to physics itself into some sort of weird stuck knot state if you jump around too much. Definitely cool, but like everything else in Skyrim, it has issues.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ramos posted:

It also looks awkward as hell unless your character is bulked out in armor due to how it just juts outward at the shoulders. It also has bad tendency to physics itself into some sort of weird stuck knot state if you jump around too much. Definitely cool, but like everything else in Skyrim, it has issues.

Advise to un-equip and re-equip any cape with this problem, call it "Ultimate HD Immersive Lore-Friendly Clothing Re-Adjustment of Skyrim"

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Advise to un-equip and re-equip any cape with this problem, call it "Ultimate HD Immersive Lore-Friendly Clothing Re-Adjustment of Skyrim"

Sometimes I like to search those terms on the Nexus just to see what comes up.

This time I found a mod called Immersive NPCs in the dark, do anyone have any experiences with it?

If it works properly, it would be a guaranteed install for me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sometimes I like to search those terms on the Nexus just to see what comes up.

This time I found a mod called Immersive NPCs in the dark, do anyone have any experiences with it?

If it works properly, it would be a guaranteed install for me.

I've been using it and it's pretty neat. I've encountered a few minor bugs where someone in town will go about their sandbox activities like chopping wood one-handed while awkwardly holding a torch in the other but otherwise it seems to be working as intended. It was certainly different to roll into battle with a bunch of mages and have them light up the place with magelight.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I've been using it and it's pretty neat. I've encountered a few minor bugs where someone in town will go about their sandbox activities like chopping wood one-handed while awkwardly holding a torch in the other but otherwise it seems to be working as intended. It was certainly different to roll into battle with a bunch of mages and have them light up the place with magelight.

The latter sounds cool as hell, think I'm going to try it out.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm not sure how I feel about "Ignore the errors, those are normal" being the main advice I'm finding outside this thread about my Creation Kit issues.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about "Ignore the errors, those are normal" being the main advice I'm finding outside this thread about my Creation Kit issues.

If you're talking about the pop up message boxes that jump out at you every time you open the CK or load plugins into it, you really can just ignore them as long as the CK opens and loads your plugins.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ThaumPenguin posted:

bethesda_gamebryo_modding.txt

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

You'll probably never have it up long enough to notice unless you are binging but every time you run Skyrim with a bunch of mods you are slowly building up to a CTD because of a memory issue. More mods makes it happen more quickly generally. Every time you play you're building an elaborate house of cards which goes higher and higher the longer the game is running until it all comes crashing down.

There are patches/tweaks to fix it though.

Errors are part of the charm.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 1, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

If you're talking about the pop up message boxes that jump out at you every time you open the CK or load plugins into it, you really can just ignore them as long as the CK opens and loads your plugins.

Glad to hear that, seems like everything is working properly then, error messages exluded.

The message boxes are also the only part of the CK that has been translated. "Yes to All" gets translated to "Cancel" for several languages.

I got the Creation Kit to regenerate the NAVI information, like the guide told me to. Don't think I'll ever know why I had to do that, but at least it should work now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

I got the Creation Kit to regenerate the NAVI information, like the guide told me to. Don't think I'll ever know why I had to do that, but at least it should work now.

It has to do with "navmeshes" which are how NPCs know to walk around. I don't fully understand it either, but for mods that add new locations and structures, it becomes an issue when two or more mods use the same space and have to be made compatible with a patch. The patch apparently isn't sufficient to ensure that the navmeshes of the various modded-in locations are compatible, that has to be done in the CK. As I understand it, anyway.

eta: actually I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here, it's merging these locations and patches together that's the issue, somehow that messes up the navmeshes and loading the merged plugin into the CK fixes that... I think? Been a while since I dealt with this.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 1, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It has to do with "navmeshes" which are how NPCs know to walk around. I don't fully understand it either, but for mods that add new locations and structures, it becomes an issue when two or more mods use the same space and have to be made compatible with a patch. The patch apparently isn't sufficient to ensure that the navmeshes of the various modded-in locations are compatible, that has to be done in the CK. As I understand it, anyway.

eta: actually I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here, it's merging these locations and patches together that's the issue, somehow that messes up the navmeshes and loading the merged plugin into the CK fixes that... I think? Been a while since I dealt with this.

That seems to be the core of it, yeah. The only thing I did was loading the merged ETaC file into the CK and then saving, like the instructions told me. After that I checked the file out in TESVEdit, and the NAVI information had been readded, so it seems to have worked.

Now to start merging the ETaC patches :toot:

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Quick question. Which of the following is true?

a. SkyTweak should be before SPERG.
b. SPERG should be before SkyTweak.
c. Do whatever LOOT says.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GunnerJ posted:

Key word (that I missed when I first read your post) is "creators".

This is actually a pretty interesting development. It looks like a good number of authors think that "taking my poo poo down in a huff" actions are petty, and are rather vicious about expressing that opinion.

eta: The weird thing is that she's going to the STEP forums and her complaint is about the quality of discussion on the Nexus forums, but why look for an alternate hosting venue if the problem is the forums? Why not just keep them on the Nexus and only discuss things on STEP or elsewhere? Seems like the easiest thing to do since she doesn't want to stop sharing her mods.

Because she's a passive aggressive little c*** with thin skin and an elitist attitude and she's doing what a childish, vengeful control freak would do.

boneration posted:

Quick question. Which of the following is true?

a. SkyTweak should be before SPERG.
b. SPERG should be before SkyTweak.
c. Do whatever LOOT says.

LOOT is law, bro.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 1, 2015

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm running the latest version of both xEdit Scripts and TESVedit, that's one of the main reasons I have issues with the guide, as it's pretty drat outdated.

The first merge file I made was for towns and settlements only, minus Dragon bridge South, as it's apparently asocial and really hates being merged, according to the mod author, at least. I planned to make a separate merge file for patches, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I need the Creation Kit as I apparently have to use it for regenerating the "Navigation Mesh Info Map" (NAVI) information, which can apparently be done by opening the plugin in the Creation Kit and then saving it again. The reason I have to regenerate the NAVI information is because the guide explicitly told me to use TESVedit to delete the merged file's original one.

I guess it's to make sure that it's cohesive or something? I really have no clue.

I believe the updated xEdit script can handle the NAVI? I've never had a problem just merging it and playing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Squeegy posted:

Because she's a passive aggressive little c*** with thin skin and an elitist attitude and she's doing what a childish, vengeful control freak would do.

LOOT is law, bro.

Not all the time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Ignore them. They are normal. Pick up that can.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
If you aren't directly merging all your mods and DLC into Skyrim.esm you haven't truly lived.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Emerson Cod posted:

If you aren't directly merging all your mods and DLC into Skyrim.esm you haven't truly lived.

Performance boost?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Michaellaneous posted:

Performance boost?

I'm mostly kidding but in theory, yes. It would be a nightmare to maintain a master cid file for adding new mods though.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Any good mods for better Inn experiences? I checked out Perseids Inns and Taverns which I liked in theory, but it felt like it did a little too much. The unique Inn interiors were a nice idea but some felt a little out of place, and the exterior changes on some were odd. Also was hoping it would add an Inn to the New Gnisis Corner Club in Windhelm, but didn't seem to.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

graynull posted:

Any good mods for better Inn experiences? I checked out Perseids Inns and Taverns which I liked in theory, but it felt like it did a little too much. The unique Inn interiors were a nice idea but some felt a little out of place, and the exterior changes on some were odd. Also was hoping it would add an Inn to the New Gnisis Corner Club in Windhelm, but didn't seem to.

I don't have an alternate suggestion but I just wanna add that it annoys the hell out of me that the expanded inn options are only available in the version that redesigns all the inns and presents a compatibility nightmare. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to strip all the architecture changes cleanly and leave the NPC and purchase changes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you do please share because I really hate that too.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I thought SkyTweak still had that issue with saving/overwriting settings? That's why I stopped using it anyway. Although I see he just posted today about his intent to update some of his mods with FISS(mcm setting saver thoughout playthroughs) which is sweet.

And possible script based GELO. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
How up to date is the OP with respect to visual mods?

I just got a shiny new GTX 970 and I am looking to get back into skyrim. What mods/settings/texture packs produce the best long distance viewing especially viewing from mountain tops down. From the original game I remember that was the most jarring experience looking down at flat polygons for long distance.

• Locked thread