Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Switchback posted:

Man yall aren't very dedicated pot smokers. Vaporizing always got me less high, I could spend an hour trying to get high with a vaporizer before getting annoyed and smoking. But I would get tore up, just being a little high wasn't ever what I was going for. I spent at least $100/week on weed for just me, probably more most of the time.

Edit: I'm late to this party, my bad.

I'd strongly recommend trying another vape. In my experience, filling a bag up with smoke and taking puffs from the bag is a far more potent than sucking through a tube. The official Volcano is unnecessary, and effective similar systems can be had in the $100 range. Vape pens that use hash oil are also highly effective. I have an extremely high tolerance, but these two methods still get me there. And yes, using the vaped weed for edibles makes the process that much more efficient, like using every part of the buffalo. I just made enough oil for 75 cookies using 4 cups of vaped weed. Coconut oil $12 for 64oz at Grocery Outlet. Good with money.

Edit: in Washington State. Criminals proceed with caution.

A Bag of Milk fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Haifisch posted:

How's that saying go? "Secure your own oxygen mask before trying to help with someone else's?"

I agree that charity in general(and tithing if your religious beliefs swing that way) has a place in a budget, but that comes after you've stabilized your finances and can actually afford it. I have a feeling that if the people in these dire financial straits would talk to their pastor, they might find that the church is okay with them lowering their giving(or giving time instead of money). At least if their church actually cares about helping people & isn't just using tithes to encase everything in solid gold.

thats not a saying its part of the script in airliner safety videos.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The actual saying is "Put your faith in Allah, but tie up your camel."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

opus111 posted:

thats not a saying its part of the script in airliner safety videos.

If religion were written by the FAA, the world would be a better place.

Albeit it one with a lot more paperwork.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

spog posted:

If religion were written by the FAA, the world would be a better place.

Albeit it one with a lot more paperwork.

They'd take forever to remedy their ban on technology and science like electronic devices, but at least they'd do it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The one time I belonged to a tithing church, they were not at all hardcore about it and would let you off if you couldn't afford it. I didn't pay because I was a broke student.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

The one time I belonged to a tithing church, they were not at all hardcore about it and would let you off if you couldn't afford it. I didn't pay because I was a broke student.

Wait, like... they checked?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

The Mormons will revoke your "temple recommend", which is what lets you attend services (even weddings and funerals) at their temples, if you fail to tithe appropriately.

Starting your own religion is bad good with money, but terrible with being a human.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Churches keep track of your tithing through the year so they can mail you the proper tax documents for your deductions.

I've never tithed to my Catholic church but I've never been kicked out of mass.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

nickutz posted:

Churches keep track of your tithing through the year so they can mail you the proper tax documents for your deductions.

I've never tithed to my Catholic church but I've never been kicked out of mass.

I must've gone to a bumpkin church when I was a kid, because we just passed the offering plate and then people kept their cancelled checks as proof of their tithe?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I must've gone to a bumpkin church when I was a kid, because we just passed the offering plate and then people kept their cancelled checks as proof of their tithe?

That sounds horribly inconvenient. You have to retain all those cancelled checks to show St Peter before he will let you into heaven.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Theoretically, a government agency should do a better job than private charities. However that efficiency is best when they're doing cookie cutter output. No one cuts checks better or faster than the government, but they're not great for sudden problems or individualized care. Who would rather see the day after a natural disaster? FEMA or the Red Cross? Who would you trust to make sure your grandmother in another state is getting fed? Meals on Wheels or her county social services?

Haifisch posted:

I have a feeling that if the people in these dire financial straits would talk to their pastor, they might find that the church is okay with them lowering their giving(or giving time instead of money).

Depends on the church. I go very rarely, but when the pastor gets up on their podium and says 10% is a starting point, I doubt they take kindly to IOU's.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

No Butt Stuff posted:

No, did I imply they checked? As I said, they were fine with people pleading poverty.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

No, did I imply they checked? As I said, they were fine with people pleading poverty.

Saying they were fine about it and would "let you off" made me think they were checking, yes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My mom does the books for a woman who trains and boards horses. The business is a massive cash-drain for the woman and the others who own the horses obviously, but this isn't about that! Apparently my mom, the woman and a lawyer sat down last night to talk investing. The lawyer had this idea, upon finding out that the woman didn't contribute to a Roth IRA, of giving her the max every year. She would use a 'self-directed' Roth to invest in his new shell company in the Caribbean which is supposed to churn out $30m a year in three years. She then makes a poo poo-ton of money and removes the tax-free IRA at 65.

This is just bizarre to me. My mom says there wouldn't be any risk to the woman, but really? They even went over this guy's income last year and he made $330k. Why does he need $5500 in tax-free seed money?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

Depends on the church. I go very rarely, but when the pastor gets up on their podium and says 10% is a starting point, I doubt they take kindly to IOU's.

Relevant article:
‘I Give God 10%’ Tip Story Takes Interesting Twist: Pastor Revealed & the Waitress Has Allegedly Been Fired

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Aliquid posted:

My mom does the books for a woman who trains and boards horses. The business is a massive cash-drain for the woman and the others who own the horses obviously, but this isn't about that! Apparently my mom, the woman and a lawyer sat down last night to talk investing. The lawyer had this idea, upon finding out that the woman didn't contribute to a Roth IRA, of giving her the max every year. She would use a 'self-directed' Roth to invest in his new shell company in the Caribbean which is supposed to churn out $30m a year in three years. She then makes a poo poo-ton of money and removes the tax-free IRA at 65.

This is just bizarre to me. My mom says there wouldn't be any risk to the woman, but really? They even went over this guy's income last year and he made $330k. Why does he need $5500 in tax-free seed money?

If this is true then this lawyer is crossing some major ethical lines and should be reported to the Bar Association yesterday.

People who plan on making 30m/yr don't A) practice law or B) need to launder money in $5500 increments

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Aliquid posted:

My mom does the books for a woman who trains and boards horses. The business is a massive cash-drain for the woman and the others who own the horses obviously, but this isn't about that!

But can it be about that? I miss horsechat. Rita Crundwell you sneaky gently caress!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Switchback posted:

But can it be about that? I miss horsechat. Rita Crundwell you sneaky gently caress!

Horsechat has been spooked and now fears this thread.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Switchback posted:

Sure! A horse broke the woman's hip last year, boarding others' horses is $500 a month, and she divorced her veterinarian husband (leading to a massive spike in long-term costs), while keeping the property instead of the retirement and savings. Her property is valued at $900,000 but has only had offers in the ~$500,000 range because it's so specialized for horse training. She's trying to sell in order to keep more horses.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Sure! A horse broke the woman's hip last year, boarding others' horses is $500 a month, and she divorced her veterinarian husband (leading to a massive spike in long-term costs), while keeping the property instead of the retirement and savings. Her property is valued at $900,000 but has only had offers in the ~$500,000 range because it's so specialized for horse training.
Well, at least she's making some improvement in her li...

quote:

She's trying to sell in order to keep more horses.
Oh, nevermind. What the gently caress is it about horses that makes people fritter everything away on them? Is it just that you need enough investment to be a "horse person" that it filters out a lot of sane people by default?

Krispy Kareem posted:

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of normal churches(not megachurches bilking people out of money). I haven't been to church since I was a teenager, but there wasn't any huge pressure to tithe a specific amount(and I don't think there was a system to track tithes by person in the first place). People still tithed, although I have no clue how much was the norm. Is it really that common for churches to be super-strict about tithing?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I mean, I've never really seen anything that specific in my life, but I stopped going to church in my teens. But before that, it was just a sermon every few months about how we needed to give what we could, using the word tithing, but no one really ever said a percentage.

The church I went to was pretty lovely, and they bilked my parents for a LOT of money, but they didn't actively try to extort their poorer members or anything.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Haifisch posted:

Oh, nevermind. What the gently caress is it about horses that makes people fritter everything away on them? Is it just that you need enough investment to be a "horse person" that it filters out a lot of sane people by default?

A combination of emotional disconnection from other people stemming from personal trauma or mental illness, projecting feelings of love and acceptance to the point where you think you're getting them in return, and the sunk cost fallacy, if my experience is typical.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

No Butt Stuff posted:

Saying they were fine about it and would "let you off" made me think they were checking, yes.

Sorry for the poor phrasing. The church were in fact very insistent they wouldn't take money from those who couldn't afford it. My point is that a person going bust who is tithing could probably get out of it, in most churches. Some, of course, are less nice.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If the government is so terrible why is it so amazing at delivering social services to those who need them in countries where they're appropriately funded?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Radbot posted:

If the government is so terrible why is it so amazing at delivering social services to those who need them in countries where they're appropriately funded?

A government is created primarily to serve it's own people, it's created with that goal in mind, for good reason. However, charitable contributions need not have that limitation, and since most people do not live in the country containing the people who are easiest/cheapest to help, it generally does more good to give to them rather than to one's own government.

Do you think there is any country whose government will save one child's life for each additional $3,340 they receive? It's fine if you do think that, I disagree but at least it will help find our true disagreement here. I think a lot of handwavy definitions of "efficiency" are being thrown around in this thread and am obviously in favor of my own, that is, marginal lives saved per dollar.

The argument has a different character if one has a similar bias in that they prefer to help people near them, in their city/state/country, I personally wish to help humans in general with no regard for that stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 30, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Aliquid posted:

My mom says there wouldn't be any risk to the woman

This is all anybody really needs to know, right?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

A government is created primarily to serve it's own people, it's created with that goal in mind, for good reason. However, charitable contributions need not have that limitation, and since most people do not live in the country containing the people who are easiest/cheapest to help, it generally does more good to give to them rather than to one's own government.

Do you think there is any country whose government will save one child's life for each additional $3,340 they receive? It's fine if you do think that, I disagree but at least it will help find our true disagreement here. I think a lot of handwavy definitions of "efficiency" are being thrown around in this thread and am obviously in favor of my own, that is, marginal lives saved per dollar.

The argument has a different character if one has a similar bias in that they prefer to help people near them, in their city/state/country, I personally wish to help humans in general with no regard for that stuff.

Oh, OK. Personally I care more about the people around me (Americans) than people in the world as a whole, but good on you.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Also, wasn't this all about tithes being 'charity'? Churches primarily help out locally.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
BFC could probably start a church.

"Thou shalt not have truck equity (or horses)"

Tithe money could be invested in index funds.

e: Confession would be about going over budget

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 30, 2015

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Is there a spreadsheet comparing probability of contracting an STD vs anticipated cash flow by moonlighting as a prostitute over time? I want to cash in my sex equity but in a smart way.

Vv pm me, we can work something out :pervert:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 30, 2015

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The real question is how much should you charge to go bareback.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

BFC could probably start a church.

"Thou shalt not have truck equity (or horses)"

Tithe money could be invested in index funds.

e: Confession would be about going over budget

Hallelujah brother, I'd convert.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
If you're poor and Mormon tithing is no joke good with money. Say what you will about their politics or MLM schemes, those people will rally around you when you are down on your luck, especially if you've been in good standing with the church

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zool posted:

Or how to implement surge pricing.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

I'm 26 and I've been working at my job for about 5 years now. Currently, I have about 58 bucks in my checking account, which is all the money I have to my name. I have rent, bills, car payment etc. which I always pay 100% on time and am never late, thankfully. However, I have zero money saved. My group of friends doesn't really sympathize with my situation and they are constantly going out doing things and inviting me. I'm already a bit of a hermit but I suppose I tend to splurge on things I really don't need. (got a mint account and saw I spent $375 dollars on fast food last month alone)

Realistically, after rent, car and bills I should have an additional $800 left over for the month for food/gas but I am always right at zero dollars whenever payday rolls around. I want to get started on a budget but I really have no idea where to start. I've actually never gone grocery shopping before either. I feel like it's partly how I was raised, parents never really had money, and didn't care about the money they did have.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/34foq8/26_living_paycheck_to_paycheck_at_10hr_465_hours/

OP apparently has severe anxiety and agoraphobia so this may be more "sad with money" than "bad with money".

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Zool posted:

Wait, are we back on horsechat?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Radbot posted:

Easy: It isn't amazing at it, and the small subset of programs in the small subset of populations that are effective are the snowflakes.

In the rest of the world, including basically every level of the US system, if you give the government funds, they keep it and there's nothing delivered. Except tanks and guns and more people to push paper to justify the funds.

However, read Elenor Ostram's work (that won her a Nobel) or her husband's if you're really interested in studies on why some systems work and others fail. Great stuff.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 1, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

oxsnard posted:

If you're poor and Mormon tithing is no joke good with money. Say what you will about their politics or MLM schemes, those people will rally around you when you are down on your luck, especially if you've been in good standing with the church

If you were smart about it and put 10% of your income into some sort of emergency fund, there is very little that you wouldn't be able to do by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

Easy: It isn't amazing at it, and the small subset of programs in the small subset of populations that are effective are the snowflakes.

In the rest of the world, including basically every level of the US system, if you give the government funds, they keep it and there's nothing delivered. Except tanks and guns and more people to push paper to justify the funds.

However, read Elenor Ostram's work (that won her a Nobel) or her husband's if you're really interested in studies on why some systems work and others fail. Great stuff.

Is 'Governing the Commons' the book you're talking about?

I think for the most part the U.S. adequately funds it's various programs, it just seems intent on deficit spending so there's little motivation to spend the money wisely. I'm going to use SNAP as an example. For the most part the food stamp program is very well run and obviously it's budget increased during the Great Recession. But once the worst of the recession was over and Congress began trimming the budget, oh the indignation! A significant part of the government wanted the SNAP peak budget to be the new normal because what's 10 or 20 extra billion when you've already got trillion dollar deficits?

And the tanks. Oh, we have so many tanks.

• Locked thread