Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

I'm just saying I liked Last Wish Yennefer that was gonna enslave a hugely powerful genie to fix her broken eggs more than Blood of Elves Yennefer who was just incredibly passive aggressive. She kind of fluctuates.

Her catty attitude and Geralt's "loner's gotta be alone Geico ad" attitude are a great mix, and I love that aspect of the books. When those two share a page together, it's magical.

I wonder if W3 will address why Alvin had elder blood, like if he was a distant cousin of Ciri and royalty, or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I never got the impression that only Ciri was supposed to have Elder Blood but it's been awhile since I read the books. She was special for more specific reasons.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

For games that mess up when I have my off-brand gameplay plugged in, I just disable it in the Windows device manager because I'm too lazy to pull it out.

For some stupid reason that poo poo requires a reboot. Oh well, not like I was ever a Top Ace anyway.

I had forgotten how nice and atmospheric and immersive The Witcher is. Not that 2 isn't, but it doesn't have that "dropped into the world" feeling as well. I'm super excited for 3 because OPEN WORLD (dude!) so it should definitely have that feeling in loving spades.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Huh, I finally found a Madness Mutagen. Miiiiight have to build around that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Yenn is great. maybe my favorite part of the game.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Is it me or does Gopher sound a lot like Bill Nighy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Probably unrelated, but a wave of invites to GOG Galaxy Alpha went out very recently. Wonder if preload isn't too far behind. :allears:

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yenn is great. maybe my favorite part of the game.

How the interactions in the triangle Yen-Geralt-Triss will play out is the most intriguing part of the game for me. I'm glad they haven't really spoiled anything about it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHNOLytV6hU

Ciri gameplay, very minor no spoilers.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Probably unrelated, but a wave of invites to GOG Galaxy Alpha went out very recently. Wonder if preload isn't too far behind. :allears:

Yeah just got the email after signing up a few days ago.
I tried Ultima IV and Savage Empire, it downloads the game files directly without installers. Useful links to the manual, secret questions, quick ref cards.
If the patcher works it looks perfectly fine.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

That's a lot of wolves.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

That's certainly one way to dodge.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The very little I can hear of her voice sounds like Zoe Castillo from Dreamfall.

Wobblecardboard
Feb 9, 2014

beer_war posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du13xlfi6ps

3rd part of Gopher's preview is up. His videos are so much more informative than all the other videos it's not even funny.

It's unfortunate that his voice reminds me so much of that weird MRA/gamergate guy Thunderf00t.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I started witcher 2 on dark, and just starting the siege with foltest I take no damage. I can sit there and get wailed on by those dudes by the ballista and it just keeps saying geralt takes minor damage. Bug or is this supposed to happen? I don't remember it being like this.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That siege is the tutorial for dummies, I heard it got nerfed a lot with the Enhanced Edition.
Something stupid like 60% of players get their 'Perfectionist' achievement there. 45% go on to finish the prologue :smith:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 1, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

queeb posted:

I started witcher 2 on dark, and just starting the siege with foltest I take no damage. I can sit there and get wailed on by those dudes by the ballista and it just keeps saying geralt takes minor damage. Bug or is this supposed to happen? I don't remember it being like this.

Are you wearing that armor you get from importing a save (Raven's armor, I think)? If I remember correctly it has a significantly higher armor value than anything you would normally get during the prologue, so it might be that the enemy's stats are simply not balanced with that kind of protection in mind.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Just the leather jacket you start with.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So can someone spoil some of Ciri's character for me? Is she a badass sorceress and a badass sword fighter? If so can't wait to play as her. Then Witcher 4 starring her :getin:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

So can someone spoil some of Ciri's character for me? Is she a badass sorceress and a badass sword fighter? If so can't wait to play as her. Then Witcher 4 starring her :getin:

Geralt's adoptive daughter. He had a fortuitous encounter with her and in the end he had to take care of her.
She was partially trained as a witcher, it was Geralt and friends who showed her how to fight, but no mutations.
She started magical training to be a sorceress but she suffered an accident which burned off her capacity of doing magic.
But she is a "special child" with "special powers" given her bloodline that's why she can teleport and everybody is trying to capture her.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 1, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah good enough. That sounds pretty cool.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I've been replaying Witcher 2 on my old computer in the den so I could play it on the big screen with surround sound, but I can't afford to replace that box like I was hoping to. I can afford to drop in a 980 into either that or my main rig (which would run it 60fps maxed no problem with a 980 in it). The old computer meets the min specs by way of having an overclocked Phenom II 940 Black edition in it, but I'm not sure if it will run it as well as I want even with a 980 dropped in it.

On the other hand I could just try streaming it with steam from one box to the other, which worked well for Alien Isolation, or I could give up the surround sound and force feedback couch and just play it on my desktop (which actually has a much nicer 1440p screen), or I could just forgo my save and get the PS4 edition.

Why is this game giving me such fits about platform?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna say I don't think this game will run as poorly on lower end systems that people are probably fearing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish developers would actually start telling us what they mean by minimum and recommended specs. Will a computer with the recommended specs run the game on Ultra at 60 fps in 1080p or will it run the game on normal settings at 30 fps? Same with minimum specs since it seems to wary from barely playable to fine depending on the game.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 1, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm gonna say I don't think this game will run as poorly on lower end systems that people are probably fearing.

As someone who had a somewhat-more-than min spec computer when Witcher 2 came out, it was an intensely unpleasant experience.

Andrast posted:

I wish developers would actually start telling us what they mean by minimum and recommended specs. Will a computer with the recommended specs run the game on Ultra at 60 fps in 1080p or will it run the game on normal settings at 30 fps? Same with minimum specs since it seems to wary from barely playable to fine depending on the game.

A trend seems to be going right now with ports especially, where Minimum Requirements means you can render the game but never really play it. Not that I think W3 is going to have that problem, it just seems to be prevalent.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The inverse being KF2 devs who said recommended should more than easily run 1080p60, minimum being 30fps playable.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well at least in TW3's case we know that ultra at 1080p 60 fps probably requires a gtx 980. The recommended card (gtx 770) hopefully will be able to handle a mixture of medium and high at 1080p 60 fps.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm just hoping the combination of my three-year-old i5 and the new 970 I just installed can run the game on (pretty much) high, 1080p, 60 fps. At this point I'll probably prioritize frame rare over graphics, so I'll turn some things down to medium to achieve 60 fps if I have to, but I'll grumble while I do it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

I'm just hoping the combination of my three-year-old i5 and the new 970 I just installed can run the game on (pretty much) high, 1080p, 60 fps. At this point I'll probably prioritize frame rare over graphics, so I'll turn some things down to medium to achieve 60 fps if I have to, but I'll grumble while I do it.

Your i5 will be more than okay.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well on one hand I solved my platform issue, on the other I just had the worst(best) "everything I want to put in this machine is one sale" moment on newegg and said gently caress it and built a new X99 box.

The fact Arkham Knight is coming out the month after totally eliminated my wife's ability to be the voice of reason.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
So far only significant hurdle on CPU has been about duals being obsolete with required quads, and even that's fairly recent. I'll just wait five minutes for each step with my absolute bare minimum 660, Xeon v3 should cut it though :haw:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

queeb posted:

Just the leather jacket you start with.

That's definitely a bug. You should die in one or two hits on Dark.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, even in the tutorial area, they should be able to kill you quick--especially the full armored guys with the big swingy swords.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

So the GoG extras are pretty nice. The soundtrack is awesome, and the comic is an interactive minigame with sound and animations. Unfortunately, it seems it was originally developed to target mobile devices with touch screens, as everything is swipe based, and you can't modify/fullscreen the window, which makes it a pain in the rear end to control with a mouse.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rocode posted:

So the GoG extras are pretty nice. The soundtrack is awesome, and the comic is an interactive minigame with sound and animations. Unfortunately, it seems it was originally developed to target mobile devices with touch screens, as everything is swipe based, and you can't modify/fullscreen the window, which makes it a pain in the rear end to control with a mouse.

I have never actually been happy that my work bought me an elitebook until now, hot drat

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok, just installed Witcher: Enhanced edition (witcher 1). Time to play through that.. last thing i remember finishing on that game before my hard drive hosed up and i lost my save was the bank in the city. Siding with the humans.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yaevinn really failed to make himself look like the good guy there by neglecting to mention that besides just robbing the bank they were there to get documents to get Vivaldi his bank back. I'd have been inclined to be on his side the first time if he mentioned that instead of some great big idealistic bullshit.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I have a 2500K/970 and I'm not really worried that much. Of course I can't speak for W3 yet, but, on all the hi-end 3D games I've played recently, the settings that I've had to turn down a notch (if at all) to achieve constant 60 fps are the sort of thing that make negligible visual difference to me anyway.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

beer_war posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du13xlfi6ps

3rd part of Gopher's preview is up. His videos are so much more informative than all the other videos it's not even funny.

Does anyone know if fist fights and rolling dice will be in the game at all? Or is it all just gwent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Does anyone know if fist fights and rolling dice will be in the game at all? Or is it all just gwent?

I've seen a couple videos that showed Geralt punching people, but I don't know what the context was.

• Locked thread