Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

blowfish posted:

Why do evil overlords have to follow overly elaborate and counterproductive rules? They're evil overlords for fucks sake. Screw the rules, we have money and guns :psyduck:

Because part of what makes conspiracy theorists believe in conspiracies is the natural terror that we all feel when confronted with the brutality and impartiality of the universe. They need to believe that there's a system and that if you just understand the system, things will make sense. The system also needs to be obtuse enough that they can score points by 'decoding' it.

e:

blowfish posted:

Ok, this is how the secret media messages thing works, right?

Actually, there was a conspiracy infographic floating around a while back that suggested that GBS was a CIA front and that that's what Slenderman is supposed to do to tweens. I think it turned up in the GBS Hellthread.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Republican Vampire posted:

Because part of what makes conspiracy theorists believe in conspiracies is the natural terror that we all feel when confronted with the brutality and impartiality of the universe. They need to believe that there's a system and that if you just understand the system, things will make sense. The system also needs to be obtuse enough that they can score points by 'decoding' it.
Just go join an arbitrary religion and pray really hard if you can't deal with being Random Bystander #3.

quote:

Actually, there was a conspiracy infographic floating around a while back that suggested that GBS was a CIA front and that that's what Slenderman is supposed to do to tweens. I think it turned up in the GBS Hellthread.
Not the first time goons have been accused of being a CIA front :beck:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

blowfish posted:

Why do evil overlords have to follow overly elaborate and counterproductive rules? They're evil overlords for fucks sake. Screw the rules, we have money and guns :psyduck:

Because they don't think that they are evil overlords. They have a clear moral code but they also do some serious rules lawyering. It's like Orthodox Jews making the elevator stop every floor or any of the other elaborate Rube Goldberg contraptions they build to avoid violating the Law. It seems silly, if you are going to all-but technically do work and reap the benefits of "work" then why not just do it? Why not just push the button on the elevator. But they don't, because that would be wrong.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shbobdb posted:

Because they don't think that they are evil overlords. They have a clear moral code but they also do some serious rules lawyering. It's like Orthodox Jews making the elevator stop every floor or any of the other elaborate Rube Goldberg contraptions they build to avoid violating the Law. It seems silly, if you are going to all-but technically do work and reap the benefits of "work" then why not just do it? Why not just push the button on the elevator. But they don't, because that would be wrong.

Lawful Evil in a nutshell.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

ErIog posted:

There are certain conspiracy theorists who believe that groups like satanists, the US government, or the Illuminati are using magical spells that derive their power from presence in the public consciousness. So a Lady Gaga song that has lyrics with a hidden satanic meaning is increasing the power of whatever spell its connected to in order to do a thing.
hah! This was a plot point in Pratchett/Gaiman's novel "Good Omens", where a demon messes with the layout of a freeway to turn it into the symbol for a magic spell that creates an awful psychic atmosphere and drives people insane.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Miss-Bomarc posted:

hah! This was a plot point in Pratchett/Gaiman's novel "Good Omens", where a demon messes with the layout of a freeway to turn it into the symbol for a magic spell that creates an awful psychic atmosphere and drives people insane.

Man, I feel like <insert name of local busy freeway interchange> is enough to drive people insane even without being a magic spell!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ErIog posted:

Man, I feel like <insert name of local busy freeway interchange> is enough to drive people insane even without being a magic spell!

Suddenly the entirety of Southern California's freeway system makes sense.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

This is what Shbobdb actually believes.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Suddenly the entirety of Southern California's freeway system makes sense.

Wait until you see what's ON THE BACK OF THOSE ROAD SIGNS

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

snorch posted:

Wait until you see what's ON THE BACK OF THOSE ROAD SIGNS

Is it just graffiti, or is it A MAGIC ILLUMI-LIZARD-MOLEPERSON SPELL?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No, that's silly. It's secret-code directions for the military so they can find the FEMA concentration camps on January 1, 2000 when Clinton declares martial law and takes our guns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a movie being made about some British court case involving a Holocaust denier so expect more "Hollywood Zionism" stuff to start popping up again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Apparently the reason why a lot of old houses feel creepy is that there's usually something generating a sound that's so low pitch that we can't hear it but can still feel it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Orgone works at lower frequencies, so you get constructive interference in the extradimensional waveforms and the ultra-low pitched sound waves. That's also why orgonite works better at lower temperatures (see the ice crystal experiments).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shbobdb posted:

Orgone works at lower frequencies, so you get constructive interference in the extradimensional waveforms and the ultra-low pitched sound waves. That's also why orgonite works better at lower temperatures (see the ice crystal experiments).

Please source your quotes...

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Orgonite blah blah blah.
- my butt et al

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Orgone good or bad? Like, I know you need it out of your body and it does things to clouds, so I don't know. Also, does sex make it or shoot it out of you?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So i found this guy. His name Dave Johnson, he is some nutjob on youtube and he believes that the american civil war, world war 2 and pretty much every event is faked by "Them". He basically thinks that fort Sumter was a false flag because no one died in the battle and that john brown, Jefferson Davis and Lincoln were the same person. He isnt even some neo confederate, he is just some nutjob. I dont get why people think everything ever is a HOAX, is it just mental disbilites or is it something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZL0pg8Yh6A&index=1&list=PLhj2813je7xjjJLCMks-toOfIIgzLaqOR

How does anyone think all of World war 2 is faked.

Edit: apparently all wars are fake but the bible is real. he basically talks over war footage laughing about how fake it is and poo poo while doing multiple voices.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 1, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Orgone is good if you are trying to avoid reptilians their tools of psychic warfare like fluoride or morgellons. But the energy attracts people so it is bad if you are being gang stalked. It is not a one size fits asolsolution.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Is there any good book about all these really stupid conspiracy theories? From a rational point of view, obviously.

I've become interested in knowing more about how these people reason as an older acquaintance has recently become obsessed by this crap. He's gone from buying huge amounts of gold and silver (luckily, his computer illiteracy stopped him from buying any bitcoins), to watching every goddamn video on youtube about how the jews caused 9/11 and the Boston bombings were staged :freep:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Is there any good book about all these really stupid conspiracy theories? From a rational point of view, obviously.

It's not exactly 9/11 Truthers and Sandy Hook nuts, but I was fond of THEM! Adventures With Extremists. It has a rather hilarious chapter on infiltrating the Bohemian Grove with Alex Jones, wherein Jones darts and rolls through the woods like an 11 year old playing war and Ronson simply walks through the gate and acts like he belongs there

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

It is not a one size fits asolsolution.

I can't not read this as "rear end in a top hat solution."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It's not exactly 9/11 Truthers and Sandy Hook nuts, but I was fond of THEM! Adventures With Extremists. It has a rather hilarious chapter on infiltrating the Bohemian Grove with Alex Jones, wherein Jones darts and rolls through the woods like an 11 year old playing war and Ronson simply walks through the gate and acts like he belongs there

Ronson is really good. He just recently published a book about what its like to be one of these nutcases. Almost makes you feel sorry for David Eck, but not really.

Vermain posted:

The absolute funniest thing about the whole Ancient Aliens series for me is that its most thorough debunking (in case it wasn't linked; it's a fantastic documentary) was done by, of all people, Chris White, the guy who believes sincerely in extradimensional demons and whose most recent publication was a thorough analysis of what form the Antichrist would take.

Hah, I had no idea. I know Heisler is a very solid christian but he's also a genius when it comes to knowledge about ancient languages and text. http://podcast.sjrdesign.net/shownotes_097.php is a great interview where he points out that "flying silver disk" were words that existed in ancient languages so there was no need to straight up use flowery language to describe UFOs, among other things.

SedanChair posted:

Does he realize it was written decades before his birth?

Hoegland is so full of himself he would probably just say that Burrough's was just the first to prove his theories.

Okay, what the hell is this Jade helmet thing? I keep seeing people link to it on FB groups, but I never want to click on :tinfoil: sites.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, what the hell is this Jade helmet thing? I keep seeing people link to it on FB groups, but I never want to click on :tinfoil: sites.
Jade Helm 15 is a military exercise where a bunch of 2Fast2Furious Special Operators will fly around the Southwest engaging pretend insurgents on military training ranges and a few private properties rented for the exercise. Insane people have CONNECTED THE DOTS to some Wal-Mart stores closing in the same states and this means Obama/Lizard People/The Illuminati are taking over America.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Don't worry, Gov. Abott has the Texas military on the case!

They'll make sure the feds don't take our guns!

gently caress my state.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I've become interested in knowing more about how these people reason as an older acquaintance has recently become obsessed by this crap. He's gone from buying huge amounts of gold and silver (luckily, his computer illiteracy stopped him from buying any bitcoins), to watching every goddamn video on youtube about how the jews caused 9/11 and the Boston bombings were staged :freep:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Illuminatus-Trilogy-Pyramid-Leviathan/dp/0440539811

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Jade Helm 15 is a military exercise where a bunch of 2Fast2Furious Special Operators will fly around the Southwest engaging pretend insurgents on military training ranges and a few private properties rented for the exercise. Insane people have CONNECTED THE DOTS to some Wal-Mart stores closing in the same states and this means Obama/Lizard People/The Illuminati are taking over America.

Isn't being able to see patterns in places there are non a mental illness?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

No, that's the default state of the human brain. Continuing to defend that pattern viciously after someone points out how it doesn't hold starts to become an illness.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, that's the default state of the human brain. Continuing to defend that pattern viciously after someone points out how it doesn't hold starts to become an illness.

Is there a word for this? I know there's pareidolia for face patterns, but I've never heard a more general term.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Schizophrenia.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

razorrozar posted:

Is there a word for this? I know there's pareidolia for face patterns, but I've never heard a more general term.

Pareidolia is the general term for seeing/hearing patterns in noise. You've probably just heard it applied to seeing faces because that's the pattern the human brain is the best at pulling out of nothing.

Edit: Actually it's apparently "apophenia" for the most general term. Pareidolia is specific to sight.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 4, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

razorrozar posted:

Pareidolia applies to all such things. "Recognizing" faces in things that don't actually have faces is simply the most common to see.

For example, looking up at clouds and they look like something specific falls under it. Or seeing bushes move in the wind and instinctually assuming it's some manner of animal causing it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The podcast MonsterTalk's latest episode just happens to be about David Icke with Ronson as the special guest/interviewee. The podcast is put out by the Skeptic Society, it's generally more focused on cryptozoology, but it goes into more general conspiracy stuff sometimes like this episode and is generally very high quality.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

twistedmentat posted:

One of the neat effects of psychedelics is how much it enhances your ability to see patterns. The sober conscious mind is really good at filtering out most of these as the bullshit they really are, but it's easy to see how some people might just not have that extra layer of mental defense. To the conspiracy theorist, that they can see these patterns implies that these patterns are meaningful and should be regarded.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

That book is lots of fun.

If you ever decide you want crazy, this is for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Behold-Horse-Milton-William-Cooper/dp/0929385225

And one day I'm going to experience the crazy that is a David Icke book but holy poo poo they are expensive.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Depends on what kind of patterns and how often. The brain looks at patterns but people that can look at say a string of numbers and notice a bunch of mathematical patterns are probably autistic. People that see "patterns" in human behavior are frequently schizophrenic, paranoid, or both; that's on the level of "David Letterman is speaking to me in code" and what have you. Other people that pick out the patterns in the world that others might miss just have good spatial awareness.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jack Gladney posted:

Schizophrenia.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on what kind of patterns and how often. The brain looks at patterns but people that can look at say a string of numbers and notice a bunch of mathematical patterns are probably autistic. People that see "patterns" in human behavior are frequently schizophrenic, paranoid, or both; that's on the level of "David Letterman is speaking to me in code" and what have you. Other people that pick out the patterns in the world that others might miss just have good spatial awareness.

Or doctors, authors, lawyers, journalists, scientists, philosophers, mathematicians, historians, analysts, etc. You don't have to be autistic or schizophrenic to be perceptive, but it helps to be smart. Connecting the dots that others miss with abstract conceptualization and comprehensive knowledge is literally a definition or metric of intelligence. You're conflating psychosis and delusional paranoid organization of thoughts with standard cognitive functioning.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So over the past year I've gotten into studying on the Chernobyl accident from '86 and goddamn, almost every site I go to there's at least one nutcase shouting "Fukushima is a hundred times worse!" "Responders expected to die!" "300 tons of radioactive water leaked into the ocean per day!" "Tuna caught off the US west coast are loaded with radiation!" and the master grand daddy of them all from some environmental nut (Harvey Wasserman) that's been crusading against nuclear power for 40 years;
"I believe we got better information from the Soviet Union about Chernobyl than we're getting from TEPCO and the Japanese about Fukushima,"

all of it boils down to the US, Japan and TEPCO covering up everything

site posted:

I'm surprised there would even be a need for a debunking of ancient aliens.

A coworker of mine is going to school to be a nurse/paramedic and he fully believes the ancient aliens bullshit including ancient nuclear power plants and obelisks around the world (including DC) being refueling sites for UFOs.
In our discussing of my studying mentioned above he says "You know they found an old city where everyone was dead in the streets and had some heavy background radiation. It must have been a nuclear power station for aliens" you know, except for the whole half life things and actual science.

v I think the fact people don't know how radiation or uranium work is what brings that about. I mean I've even seen people saying uranium explodes when it melts down.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

SocketWrench posted:

So over the past year I've gotten into studying on the Chernobyl accident from '86 and goddamn, almost every site I go to there's at least one nutcase shouting "Fukushima is a hundred times worse!" "Responders expected to die!" "300 tons of radioactive water leaked into the ocean per day!" "Tuna caught off the US west coast are loaded with radiation!" and the master grand daddy of them all from some environmental nut (Harvey Wasserman) that's been crusading against nuclear power for 40 years;
"I believe we got better information from the Soviet Union about Chernobyl than we're getting from TEPCO and the Japanese about Fukushima,"

all of it boils down to the US, Japan and TEPCO covering up everything

I think conspiracy theorists and rabid environmentalists have a hard time accepting that Fukushima was:

A) Reasonably well-handled and not a catastrophe like people associate with nuclear plants.
B) Had actually a fairly local impact.
C) Just a different circumstance than Chernobyl in every conceivable way.

If you live within 50 miles of a coal power plant you get more radiation per day then you would eating a tuna you caught off the coast of Fukushima.

• Locked thread