Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Well, it sounds like even people with velcro on their bags do their best to nullify it. Seriously, screw velcro - I'm interested in bags with zips, buttons, magnets, clips, basically anything else. There have to be enough options out there that I don't have to go about modifying a brand new bag to do the job I bought it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Jimlad posted:

Well, it sounds like even people with velcro on their bags do their best to nullify it. Seriously, screw velcro - I'm interested in bags with zips, buttons, magnets, clips, basically anything else. There have to be enough options out there that I don't have to go about modifying a brand new bag to do the job I bought it for.

I don't mind it at all. There's a ton of velcro available and it's overkill if you're using the bag like a holster, if I was actually travelling I'd be using it all.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah for the retrospective I don't think it's a big deal or makes it less secure. The whole purpose of the top flap seems more like it's just there to keep crap out than stuff in. The only time it stops things from falling out is when you put in your car or whatever so stuff doesn't roll out. For that purpose it's more than adequate.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Jimlad posted:

The Timbuk2 I suggested uses a zipper only. The flap also opens away from your body, so it's really easy to do work inside the bag while it is still hanging from its shoulder strap.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Nomenclature posted:

The Timbuk2 I suggested uses a zipper only. The flap also opens away from your body, so it's really easy to do work inside the bag while it is still hanging from its shoulder strap.

Unfortunately that seems a little long and thin for my purposes. Also, unless I'm missing something, the Timbuk2 video shows that it opens with velcro straps only? Thanks for the suggestion though.

I just found out there's a new range called the Switch from Tenba which looks interesting. It would be perfect for me - right size, right features (although the strap looks a bit uncomfy) but it looks suspiciously like they've forgotten to put a carry handle on it. What the logic would be behind that I have no idea, it's quite frustrating when companies forget basic things like that. To be honest I do like the look of the Tenba products because they seem to have paid attention to the details and actually thought a lot of the design through quite well. Does anyone have experience with them?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Jimlad posted:

Unfortunately that seems a little long and thin for my purposes. Also, unless I'm missing something, the Timbuk2 video shows that it opens with velcro straps only? Thanks for the suggestion though.
Nah, the compartment that opens towards your body and uses velcro is just a flat pocket for storing the stabilizer strap and SD cards, batteries, and other small or narrow stuff. The main compartment opens away from your body and uses a zipper only. The bag is big enough for anything other than a DSLR with both a vertical grip and lens attached. An A7 with a lens would be fine in there with the lens pointed longitudinally and one of the dividers configured to support the lens.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I almost am ready to go buy the Retrospective 5 but now I don't know. That VELCRO. I will be throwing the thing upside down inevitably because I suck at things like not setting my camera bag upside down. Will it really keep my poo poo inside? (Even girl poo poo like lip gloss?)

Also I would like to draw girly poo poo on the outside; is it super duper waxy?

I don't suppose anyone here has ever used a Tamrac Aria? It has zippers to keep everything in and a buckle. I was at a camera store today though and I was not a fan of how the inside fabric felt. I am going on vacation in two days and my 70-300 doesn't fit in a purse and the dumb Rally 5 I have is too big to carry around and arg!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Will a 70-300 actually fit in a Retrospective 5? It's a pretty small bag last I remember seeing one.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

HPL posted:

Will a 70-300 actually fit in a Retrospective 5? It's a pretty small bag last I remember seeing one.

I brought mine mounted to my trusty T2i and am going to shove it in one. I will let the thread know what I go with.

Looking at it yesterday it seemed like it would fit at least un-mounted but who knows? I might have accidentally been holding the 7. In that case, what's another :20bux:

E:

Went with the Tamrac Aria 6. I could fit what I wanted in the Retrospective 7, but holy poo poo that thing is heavy. The Aria is very light. Of course it is not built like a tank like the Retro, but the less bulk I have to carry, the better.

The Retro 5 was very nice and I could fit my gear in there if I took the lens off the camera but even that weighed more than the larger Aria.

Here it is. **Trigger Warning** it is pink.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 26, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the reason I haven't seen any mention of the Amazon Basics backpack over the last few pages because nobodies considered one? Or not available in the U.S. perhaps? Ordered one based on price and feedback on the site, hope it lives up to my basic uses.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the reason I haven't seen any mention of the Amazon Basics backpack over the last few pages because nobodies considered one? Or not available in the U.S. perhaps? Ordered one based on price and feedback on the site, hope it lives up to my basic uses.

I have an Amazon basics bag. It has served me well in my trips to New York City, Washington DC, to the mouth of the James river, and up several mountainside areas. It holds my 70-300 lens, my 17-50 basic lens, and my 28-135 with plenty of room for batteries, my canon 40d with grip, and my laptop with charger. It is the best low end ( sub 50) camera bag I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good stuff, thanks for the feedback. While Amazon's 4.5* over like 400 reviews should be enough to convince me, I've owned enough pairs of £30 headphones that Amazon users claim are as good as £100 headphones before to know a lot of people are full of poo poo.

I plumped for the one with the slot for my laptop, as the only people complaining about that are those trying to jam 17.3" notebooks into it, and I have a 13" Air. With dents due to the last trip. Which is a reason for this purchase. Looking forward to getting it and using it as an excuse to not choose between my 5 mediocre lenses for my next trip!

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good stuff, thanks for the feedback. While Amazon's 4.5* over like 400 reviews should be enough to convince me, I've owned enough pairs of £30 headphones that Amazon users claim are as good as £100 headphones before to know a lot of people are full of poo poo.

I plumped for the one with the slot for my laptop, as the only people complaining about that are those trying to jam 17.3" notebooks into it, and I have a 13" Air. With dents due to the last trip. Which is a reason for this purchase. Looking forward to getting it and using it as an excuse to not choose between my 5 mediocre lenses for my next trip!
That is the one I have, I keep my old 15 inch laptop with me when I travel.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I happened to take a look at my "Carry Speed" (BlackRapid ripoff) connector when I was trying to think of ways to keep it from squeaking.

Yikes. I can't really be too upset though. Metal against metal for untold miles of walking and hiking are going to wear things down, I'm just happy I checked it. Looks like I can buy a drat-near identical replacement for $8 on Amazon or the part itself for the same price.

I just thought I'd post it so everyone can double check their straps for similar issues.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Basics (+Laptop) bag has arrived and seems good. I'm about to go on a long haul flight and I've not had a proper photo bag before, nor a body worth protecting, so just checking to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

Just because it's not super obvious from the pic - the section under the body is a 70-300 you just can't see it because of the strap. To the left is just a general bits and pieces section (cleaning things, extra body cap, viewfinder blocker etc) and the bottom most section is a gorilla pod with a separator above it and my filters on top. Seem about ok? Yes, I'm taking everything. Chargers for laptop and camera will be carried separate, to save a bit of weight. I'm probably still over though, so chancing it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Having to attach / detach your lens every time you remove / put back in your camera would get old so, so fast. Also you're going to get more sensor dust that way. I cant beleieve you didn't pack a rocket blower.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Choicecut posted:

Probably a long shot, but has anyone been able to directly compare the LowePro Photo Sport 200AW to the LowePro Photo Pro 30L?

I just sold my Tamrac Expedition 8x and need to replace it. The 8x was a great bag, but was too camera oriented and freaking huge. I have downsized to 3 lenses, 35mm, 10-20mm, and a 16-300mm. Those along with a d90 body with grip and an sb700 will be the max I would carry. This will be used for keeping my gear with me during flights, day hikes, and an overnight hike here and there. I like both bags, but fear the 200AW is a tad small and at the same time fear that the 30L will be massive like the 8x.

If anyone has any experience with either, I would love to hear it. I can't find any local shops that have them. REI had the photo sport 100, but that really doesn't give me a good idea what the other two are like.

This is way late but I have both and think they are awesome. Besides the size, pretty minor differences

200AW- separate zippered hydration pocket
- "lumpy" padded back
- chest strap adjustable by something that slides up and down on a strap

30L - hydration pouch goes into an open pocket in the main compartment
- open mesh on back
- chest straps adjust along a rod-type thing in the shoulder strap

I got the 30L because the 200AW didn't easily fit my kit in the camera pocket (I usually bring gripped 6D with 70-300L mounted plus a blackrapid and a 17-40L).

Both fit a surprising amount in the top pocket. I'm not sure I'd go on a billion mile hike with either fully loaded, but I find them really comfortable.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 17, 2015

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Having to attach / detach your lens every time you remove / put back in your camera would get old so, so fast. Also you're going to get more sensor dust that way. I cant believe you didn't pack a rocket blower.

See for me, when I use that bag for shooting, I have my camera on my shoulder, I use a custom base so I can connect it along with the tripod, so that at least to me wasn't a concern. Also, you could in theory move the internals around if you just want to keep the camera+lens of choice.

I use a lot of lenses, as you can see, and it holds a portable tripod very well. It really holds up to heavy duty ( I walked for about 4 days through Boston with this on my back, the tripod was attached, and the only damage was after day 4, the thread that held down the clasp for the tripod fell apart, but a quick trip to the store and some extra strong thread patched it up. It is the value king for this category, but I'm morbidly curious what the high end guys in here would recommend for this sort of bag.

(lenses are my 17-50mm Tameron, a 70-300mm Canon, a 10-18 cannon, and a 20-135 canon.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RangerScum posted:

Having to attach / detach your lens every time you remove / put back in your camera would get old so, so fast. Also you're going to get more sensor dust that way. I cant beleieve you didn't pack a rocket blower.

The rocket blower is in the top left (although it's not a rocket one, but similar). I left the lens detached because it was on a plane ride for 11 hours and it just seemed more sensible to not have something attached? I had one of those neopryne or however it's spelt bags for carrying the camera around for day-to-day with a lens attached but I appear to have lost it already. Given the amount of lenses I switch between I don't think there's much I can really do about sensor dust, although I try to keep the changeover as fast as possible.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Here's a bit of a bag hack for you: mid-sized messenger bags like the Tamrac Rally 4 or Crumpler 5MDH fit almost perfectly in the bottom camera compartment of the Lowepro Rover AW II backpack. The padded liner is removable on the Rover and you can fold back the top flap on the messenger bag and put it in the backpack so your gear is just as accessible as it was with the original liner. Now you have a camera backpack and when you get to where you're going, you have the option of pulling the messenger bag out and using it on its own and no need to swap gear between bags.

Also, you can get the Rover AW II for super cheap on Aliexpress. Maybe it's authentic, maybe it's not, but I ordered one from there and it seems to be built pretty solid. I also got my 5MDH from there and I honestly can not tell the difference between it and a genuine Crumpler bag (I own two), so maybe it's actual factory stuff sold out the back door.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can someone recommend me a pouch or something.

Doesn't need to be an actual bag just a safe padded pouch for a DSLR and some lenses. The lighter the better, this is for long term travel.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thoren posted:

Can someone recommend me a pouch or something.

Doesn't need to be an actual bag just a safe padded pouch for a DSLR and some lenses. The lighter the better, this is for long term travel.

Domke inserts.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You can also consider the Crumpler Haven pouches: http://www.crumpler.com/au/haven-m

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Ok, so I got the Retrospective 5 on recommendation from this thread and I have to admit I was pretty badly disappointed with it. It was just too deep, so lenses would rattle around inside. The bag (particularly the inserts) didn't seem to be particularly well made either; specifically, the padding seemed pretty thin and there were lots of nasty edges on seams and metal parts where lenses/hands could get battered and scratched, so I was reluctant to put nice gear in there and it made it really uncomfortable to use. On the plus side, the shoulder strap was nicely padded and the look of the bag was very generic and inconspicuous, but these are things I'd look for only after the basics have been covered, which they weren't in this case unfortunately.

I ended up shopping around some more and settled on the slightly more costly Billingham Hadley Small which is more far more well-built and its svelte dimensions fit my A7r and lenses a lot better. There's been good attention to detail on the construction and the padding, which is more substantial and much softer than the Retrospective 5's. It's less bulky too, although it lacks the top handle which is a minor annoyance, and it's slightly more conspicuous (but much more stylish) which I've tried to minimise by going for the black/black design. It's early days yet but at least I'm comfortable putting my nicer lenses in there which I couldn't say for the Retrospective 5. A big thumbs up to Billingham.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

alkanphel posted:

You can also consider the Crumpler Haven pouches: http://www.crumpler.com/au/haven-m

This owns, a little expensive at $50 though!

MrBlandAverage posted:

Domke inserts.

These are cool but look a little thin. Also I need something that closes so poo poo doesn't spill all over my bag.

I saw a site once where they had awesome compact little pockets, some were even slanted to save space. They had zipper closures. I wish I could remember that brand.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy

Thoren posted:

I saw a site once where they had awesome compact little pockets, some were even slanted to save space. They had zipper closures. I wish I could remember that brand.

F Stop ICU?

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/icu.html

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Those are the ones.

Why is everything nice so expensive.

I hate this hobby.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
I need a recommendation for a backpack.

I'd like it to fit a Pentax 67 and maybe two lenses, the 105 mm and 55 mm, preferably with either lens attached to the camera. And I'd like to be able to attach a tripod to the backpack as well.

I currently have a shoulder bag that fit the camera + lenses but I hate carrying the tripod around in my hand, and the shoulder bag gets plenty uncomfortable very quickly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

I'd like it to fit a Pentax 67 and maybe two lenses, the 105 mm and 55 mm, preferably with either lens attached to the camera. And I'd like to be able to attach a tripod to the backpack as well.

I currently have a shoulder bag that fit the camera + lenses but I hate carrying the tripod around in my hand, and the shoulder bag gets plenty uncomfortable very quickly.

A number of Lowepro's backpacks have tripod holders along the side or bottom these days. I have the Hatchback 22L which does not have a specific tripod strap along the side but will hold a gorillapod in the side waterbottle pocket just fine. I have the Sport 200 as well and that will carry one along the bottom.

E: Both have a lot of room for non-camera gear as well. Plenty of room for water bottles (the SPort 200 has a space for a Camelback bladder too), rolled up jackets, batteries, food, etc.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

A number of Lowepro's backpacks have tripod holders along the side or bottom these days. I have the Hatchback 22L which does not have a specific tripod strap along the side but will hold a gorillapod in the side waterbottle pocket just fine. I have the Sport 200 as well and that will carry one along the bottom.

E: Both have a lot of room for non-camera gear as well. Plenty of room for water bottles (the SPort 200 has a space for a Camelback bladder too), rolled up jackets, batteries, food, etc.

I don't think I would trust a gorillapod for the 67 and the "Sport"-line seems kind of cramped in the camera compartment. However, Lowepros "bagfinder" tells me that a Flipside 500 AW might fit so I'm going to check that out a bit closer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

I don't think I would trust a gorillapod for the 67 and the "Sport"-line seems kind of cramped in the camera compartment. However, Lowepros "bagfinder" tells me that a Flipside 500 AW might fit so I'm going to check that out a bit closer.

If you live close to a good camera store or a Best Buy, you may get to see one in person. Most stores like that usually have a ton of Lowepro bags.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

I use a ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive for my gripped and metered p67 with 4 lenses (one on body), my FM2+50mm, zero image pinhole, and tripod. I went to my local camera shop and tried every single bag to find what worked best with the mass and shape of the p67. Most of the bags were too shallow for the p67 + meter or didn't play nicely with the grip. If you don't have either of these things, then you'll have a lot easier time finding something that works.

I'm pretty happy with the comfort of it after taking it on a few hikes. The only minor grip I have is that the tripod is stored on the face as opposed to the side. This means I have to mess with it in order to take items out of the main compartment.

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.
Did they stop making the 7 Million Dollar Home?! I'm having a hard time finding them in stock.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

If you live close to a good camera store or a Best Buy, you may get to see one in person. Most stores like that usually have a ton of Lowepro bags.

ant mouth posted:

I use a ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive for my gripped and metered p67 with 4 lenses (one on body), my FM2+50mm, zero image pinhole, and tripod. I went to my local camera shop and tried every single bag to find what worked best with the mass and shape of the p67. Most of the bags were too shallow for the p67 + meter or didn't play nicely with the grip. If you don't have either of these things, then you'll have a lot easier time finding something that works.

I'm pretty happy with the comfort of it after taking it on a few hikes. The only minor grip I have is that the tripod is stored on the face as opposed to the side. This means I have to mess with it in order to take items out of the main compartment.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to bring all the stuff I want to fit to the store and try out bags until I find something that works.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to bring all the stuff I want to fit to the store and try out bags until I find something that works.

That's your best bet. Every store out there should let you drop your stuff in them to see how it fits.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

RagingTaco posted:

Did they stop making the 7 Million Dollar Home?! I'm having a hard time finding them in stock.

B&H has the latest black version, just ordered one for myself.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RagingTaco posted:

Check Aliexpress. Don't know if they're legit or not, but I ordered my 5MDH from there and damned if I can tell the difference. There's also the bonus that they sell the older pattern bags which are better, in my opinion.

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.

HPL posted:

Check Aliexpress. Don't know if they're legit or not, but I ordered my 5MDH from there and damned if I can tell the difference. There's also the bonus that they sell the older pattern bags which are better, in my opinion.

Wow thanks. Checked it out and they have the gray one I wanted years ago at a quarter of the price. First thought: No loving way that's legit. Guess I'll find out in 3-15 business days.

I really don't want another black camera bag.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ant mouth posted:

Ended up looking at the ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive and the Lowepro Flipside 500 AW and buying the Lowepro because it was slightly cheaper. Came home and realised I actually liked the ThinkTank much, much, more and returned the Lowepro the next day to buy the ThinkTank instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thinktank makes great stuff, you should love it

• Locked thread