Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HBO Go has the commercials too.

It's really rather silly when you think about it. They are advertising stuff that you already get by paying for the service. I guess you could make the argument that it's incentive to watch something else and not cancel the service, but I think most people who subscribe to HBO knows what content is out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
HBO "commercials" aren't bad because they are more like trailers for stuff you'll watch anyway

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Gyshall posted:

HBO "commercials" aren't bad because they are more like trailers for stuff you'll watch anyway

I'm probably not going to watch this Jack Black movie that I had to watch the trailer for before seeing the new episode of Last Week Tonight. But as long as it's limited to the newest episode (is it?) then it's not that bad, I guess.

It's just kind of annoying when they keep explaining away the price as it being a "premium service." With ads. And no way to bookmark shows. Or see your watch history.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm probably not going to watch this Jack Black movie that I had to watch the trailer for before seeing the new episode of Last Week Tonight. But as long as it's limited to the newest episode (is it?) then it's not that bad, I guess.

It's just kind of annoying when they keep explaining away the price as it being a "premium service." With ads. And no way to bookmark shows. Or see your watch history.

I wish there was no way to see your post history.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I noticed the OP is 3 years old and I searched the last 10 pages but found nothing so here goes:

What options do I have to replace cable/satellite in the UK? Sky have announced their third price increase in the 2 years that I've been with them, and its got to the point now where its just not worth paying for so gently caress these guys. I have spare ethernet around my TV and I have like 6 raspberry pi's for various things. If I can use those its a bonus, but I've got no problem buying a box if its going to be good. I have a Zyxel NAS with plenty of space on it too but no HTPC. I wouldn't mind building one if they work well.

Edit:
This is my TV if it matters: http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/televisions/smart-led-tv/smart-led-tv/UA46EH6030RXZN
It has HDMI, USB, and AllShare Play which is some DLNA based content player

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 15, 2015

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

What options do I have to replace cable/satellite in the UK?

NOW TV (Which, ironically enough, is from Sky) should be your best bet and would set you back either £15 or £30 p/m depending on whether you want either films, TV catch-up or both.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How much back catalog do you have with HBO go/now? Can I pick up season 1 of entourage, or the final season of big love, or catch the last half of season 2 of Rome, or watch that one episode of The Pacific I missed? If I lose an argument with my lady friend can I queue up an episode of sex and the city? Pick up true blood from where I left off (season 4 is where the werewolves becomes a prominent plot device, right?)

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Hadlock posted:

How much back catalog do you have with HBO go/now? Can I pick up season 1 of entourage, or the final season of big love, or catch the last half of season 2 of Rome, or watch that one episode of The Pacific I missed? If I lose an argument with my lady friend can I queue up an episode of sex and the city? Pick up true blood from where I left off (season 4 is where the werewolves becomes a prominent plot device, right?)

With HBO Go, you have access to their entire catalog as far as I can tell. At least, every series from the last 10+ years: Rome, BoB, Pacific, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Flight of the Concords, etc. And current shows are playable as soon as they start airing, though they've had a lot of trouble with GoT and Silicon Valley.

The Android app is terrible though and frequently crashes and loses the connection to my Chromecast. The Series Manager feature just doesn't work. The Watchlist bookmark feature sucks, and frequently empties itself.

I hope they've put some effort into their Now app for the people that are paying explicitly for that service, and that those features trickle down to the Go app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hadlock posted:

HBO Now has available:

8 seasons of Entourage (with 3A and 3B for some reason).
5 seasons of Big Love
2 seasons of Rome
10 episodes of The Pacific
6 seasons of Sex and the City (with 6A and 6B)
7 seasons of True Blood

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is basically the same stuff they have on Amazon Prime, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems to be.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

withak posted:

That is basically the same stuff they have on Amazon Prime, right?

No, Amazon Prime does not have True Detective, Game of Thrones, and the last four seasons of True blood.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
HBO NOW looked like poo poo with episode 3 of Game of Thrones. Horrible jutter kept happening. It is also obvious that they are taking the broadcast 1080i and doing a lazy scale.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

That's what most of their stuff on Sling looks like, canceled it. Too wonked to pay money for it at this point.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Looks like the PGA Tour will also be joining the subscription model this year for streaming.

Hopefully it'll be reasonably priced; Golf has been a huge mainstay of cable ever since the golf channel debuted, excluding final rounds. Presumably this is more work by the PGA to skew to younger markets.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Slowhanded posted:

Looks like the PGA Tour will also be joining the subscription model this year for streaming.

Hopefully it'll be reasonably priced; Golf has been a huge mainstay of cable ever since the golf channel debuted, excluding final rounds. Presumably this is more work by the PGA to skew to younger markets.

dgaf I'd pay the same amount or more for this, I pay for Gamepass and NHL, golf is the only other thing I'm jonesing to watch these days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slowhanded posted:

Somehow I don't think that this is the magic bullet that gets young people to watch golf.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

HBO NOW looked like poo poo with episode 3 of Game of Thrones. Horrible jutter kept happening. It is also obvious that they are taking the broadcast 1080i and doing a lazy scale.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

That's what most of their stuff on Sling looks like, canceled it. Too wonked to pay money for it at this point.

I've had ZERO issues with Sling OR HBO Now through my Roku. I'm on middling internet service (18 mbps with UVerse, highest internet speed and only provider option in my neighborhood) and running the Roku 3 on WiFi. It takes a minute or so for it to acquire the signal, but once it's in, it's in. Everything we watch is flawless. I have more issues watching YouTube and Netflix than I do Sling.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any way to watch the NFL draft tonight on Fire TV/Kodi?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gyshall posted:

Any way to watch the NFL draft tonight on Fire TV/Kodi?

Sling.tv

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My wife and I just moved into our first home, so I figured it was a good time to cut the cord and try going streaming only. We rarely watch live TV anyway, and I figure between Netflix, Amazon and Hulu we can hit everything we want to see. My question, though, is if there is an app or a website where I can track shows we like to watch as they are airing? So, for example, I don't have to check whether or not a new episode aired that week or going into each show individually to see if there are unwatched episodes, but instead just look up our list and see "There was a new SHIELD this week, we're two behind on Louie, no Bob's Burgers this week..." Does that make sense and does something like that exist? (I haven't signed up for Hulu yet, and was wondering if they had something like that built in...)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Slowhanded posted:

Sports is pretty much the only thing keeping cable alive, you'd think they would fight this tooth and nail.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://www.tivo.com/TLP4

$299 for a tivo roamio OTA /w lifetime

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hulu Plus users: We recently signed up, but some of the shows we intended to watch with it are hosed up. For instance, Bob's Burgers (season 5 for reference), the episodes "jump" to the third act after what I perceive would be the first fade to black/commercial break if it were airing live. There's no mid-episode Hulu ads involved, and if you pay attention to the fast forward/rewind previews, it doesn't match up with what we've just seen. Anyone else ever run into this? It makes me leery of Hulu Plus as a whole now. I've only messed with it on my Roku, haven't watched on my PC to see if it's still doing that..

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

New Leaf posted:

Hulu Plus users: We recently signed up, but some of the shows we intended to watch with it are hosed up. For instance, Bob's Burgers (season 5 for reference), the episodes "jump" to the third act after what I perceive would be the first fade to black/commercial break if it were airing live. There's no mid-episode Hulu ads involved, and if you pay attention to the fast forward/rewind previews, it doesn't match up with what we've just seen. Anyone else ever run into this? It makes me leery of Hulu Plus as a whole now. I've only messed with it on my Roku, haven't watched on my PC to see if it's still doing that..

I watch through my Playstations and have never experienced this with Bob's Burgers or any other show.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

jabro posted:

I watch through my Playstations and have never experienced this with Bob's Burgers or any other show.

It's every episode I watch on my Roku.. really annoying, about to contact their support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brocktoon posted:

My wife and I just moved into our first home, so I figured it was a good time to cut the cord and try going streaming only. We rarely watch live TV anyway, and I figure between Netflix, Amazon and Hulu we can hit everything we want to see. My question, though, is if there is an app or a website where I can track shows we like to watch as they are airing? So, for example, I don't have to check whether or not a new episode aired that week or going into each show individually to see if there are unwatched episodes, but instead just look up our list and see "There was a new SHIELD this week, we're two behind on Louie, no Bob's Burgers this week..." Does that make sense and does something like that exist? (I haven't signed up for Hulu yet, and was wondering if they had something like that built in...)

https://trakt.tv/ does exactly this and if you have an Android device you can load up SeriesGuide which integrates with Trakt.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

So, for example, I don't have to check whether or not a new episode aired that week or going into each show individually to see if there are unwatched episodes, but instead just look up our list and see "There was a new SHIELD this week, we're two behind on Louie, no Bob's Burgers this week..." Does that make sense and does something like that exist? (I haven't signed up for Hulu yet, and was wondering if they had something like that built in...)

DuckieTV chrome extension linked to my https://www.trakt.tv account the closest thing I've used but I haven't really looked around much for a TV tracker like that. Duckie has a calendar with show names on their air date and as you watch them the name gets scratched or so you can see if you missed an episode.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 1, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Don Lapre posted:

Not a bad deal, my big hang up with the OTA model was the lack of a lifetime option.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Hulu does pretty much what I'd like for its shows, but it would be nice to have something for shows that aren't on Hulu, so I'll check those two solutions out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Are PPV able to be ordered through HBO Now? I'm wondering about the fight, specifically.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

At minimum you might want a trakt account, since a lot of apps are based on their API

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are PPV able to be ordered through HBO Now? I'm wondering about the fight, specifically.

I can't say if PPV is available through HBO Now but the fight will definitely not be since it's a Showtime event.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Don Lapre posted:

Man, that's an awesome deal considering I spent $300 for the lifetime service alone on my Roamio.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

I want to get this, but I can't really justify $300 when the only thing I really want to do with it is record Jeopardy.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I was going to wait until summer to figure out if I could make cord cutting work. But with an OTA box for less than the cost of lifetime service on any of their other devices, I will have to pick one up. Doesn't make the official external drive seem so bad now for extra recording space.

Anyone know if the Roamio DVRs have IR for the remotes? Just wondering if I will be able to make my aging harmony remote work with it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Orvin posted:

I was going to wait until summer to figure out if I could make cord cutting work. But with an OTA box for less than the cost of lifetime service on any of their other devices, I will have to pick one up. Doesn't make the official external drive seem so bad now for extra recording space.

Anyone know if the Roamio DVRs have IR for the remotes? Just wondering if I will be able to make my aging harmony remote work with it.

Mine does, but the Tivo remote is much faster and more responsive than my Harmony.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Orvin posted:

Doesn't make the official external drive seem so bad now for extra recording space.

Voids the warranty, but throwing in a 3tb DVR hard drive is painless, and gives you like 450HD hours, and more SD hours then you should be watching (3k ish)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jabro posted:

it's a Showtime event.
Huh. I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The fight is a joint venture. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxing/2015/02/21/hbo-showtime-to-jointly-air-mayweather-pacquiao-ppv/23782039/

Also noticed this today - http://deadline.com/2015/04/showtime-hbo-lawsuit-mayweather-pacquiao-fight-streaming-offer-gone-1201418058/