Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Agrajag posted:

I can see Fox saying some thinly veiled accusations of racial bias.

lol you think it will be thinly veiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Radish posted:

Anyone that pulls the "well he did something illegal so he bears responsibility for what ended up happening" should have a swastika branded onto their forehead.

I like that, because then they'll blame the person doing the branding, and we'll say "well, they wouldn't have branded you but for your comments, so you bear responsibility for what ended up happening."

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Agrajag posted:

Why am I even bothering to read the comments?

Look it's not that hard, just don't lean back threateningly with your hands up. You might have another burning Christmas tree on your person, just waiting to hurl it at the cops.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Gwaihir posted:

lol you think it will be thinly veiled.

Even their "developing story" about charges being filed online was cribbing all the most cop friendly language possible in that particular story. Including a description of freddie gray standing in the back of the police van that I've never heard anywhere else and the "leaked" version of passenger no. 2's account of the ride.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ascii genitals posted:

That video is incredible. The dog is literally biting him right in the loving face.

Hands up, don't eat face.

What is happening here? A guy sitting down, with his hands up gets:
A dog mauling his face.
Cops pile onto him and tase him while the dog continues to bite him on the back.
Cops stand about taking pictures of him and then drop a chair on this face.
Cop turns up at the hospital to tell him that "wasn't a good way to prove he's a man"

This is insane.

Also, what's the crime in burning a christmas tree?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I know people are making fun of the union quotes, but unions are legally required to defend their members up to the point they are proven guilty, in the same way that lawyers are. You're not going to get the union condemning their own members if they're at all a functional union.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

I know people are making fun of the union quotes, but unions are legally required to defend their members up to the point they are proven guilty, in the same way that lawyers are. You're not going to get the union condemning their own members if they're at all a functional union.

This. This is the whole point of the Union.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

Agree completely but making political threats doesn't really fall within that scope does it?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Darkrenown posted:

It's a bylaw violation in most non-rural places to burn trash, even biomass like leaves or poo poo.

Now, how you get from "bylaw infraction" to "stormtroopers kick in your door and a dog bites your face off" is, uuh, another matter entirely.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gropiemon posted:

Agree completely but making political threats doesn't really fall within that scope does it?
Force of habit.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
can anyone confirm/deny my suspicion that people doing this http://reverbpress.com/news/black-baltimore-protecting-police/ are plain clothes cops or "off duty" cops? I know baltimore has a ban on plain clothes policing but these are extraordinary circumstances.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Vahakyla posted:

The point of a union is to protect the rights of workers and negotiate for them when interacting with their employers.

It is not to protect them from the legal consequences of their actions or to defend lawless behaviour, though some may do that.

In my opinion: If it's not a labour issue (and this is not), the union should just stay the gently caress out of it.

The correct course of action for a union here, imo, would be pressuring the department to institute procedural and policy changes that would insure no more of their members wind up in a situation where they are risk of breaking the law.

Edited: to be more clear.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 1, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Darkrenown posted:

Apparently the police take the War on Christmas very seriously.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

And now you see the problem of a public union with a monopoly on labor/law enforcement that wields tremendous political power on the local stage...zero accountability and a ongoing problem of cops getting away with murder and lesser crimes.

They will use public money to thwart the public/justice.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

The point of a union is to protect the rights of workers and negotiate for them when interacting with their employers.

It is not to protect them from the legal consequences of their actions or to defend lawless behaviour.

If it's not a labour issue (and this is not), the union should just stay the gently caress out of it.

This is not true, many unions have a responsibility to ensure that their members are fairly represented during any legal proceedings regardless of how obvious their guilt might be. That said, having been involved in a few unions there are points where the union will put it's hands up and step out of the way.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Arkane posted:

And now you see the problem of a public union with a monopoly on labor/law enforcement that wields tremendous political power on the local stage...zero accountability and a ongoing problem of cops getting away with murder and lesser crimes.

They will use public money to thwart the public/justice.

I don't see the problem with the union. They do what they are supposed to. It's the justice system that needs to pick up their own slack.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rodnik posted:

This is not true, many unions have a responsibility to ensure that their members are fairly represented during any legal proceedings regardless of how obvious their guilt might be. That said, having been involved in a few unions there are points where the union will put it's hands up and step out of the way.

I'm not saying Unions don't, I'm saying protecting them from legal consequences of lawbreaking isn't the "point" of them, unless you're seriosuly arguing that this is the core purpose of Unions. I guess I should have done more to separate that from the statement that followed about what I thought they should do.

I've edited the post to hopefully be more clear about what I meant.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

Vahakyla posted:

There's defending your members, and then there's declaring facts that you know nothing about.
If it was a 'will support them all the way', sure fine.
But 'THEY ARE INNOCENT ALL THE WAY' thats just crass blindness.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Holy poo poo I had to stop watching that dog face eating. That's terrible.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A public defender in Maryland posted her firsthand accounts to Facebook today: https://www.facebook.com/marcitarrantjohnson/posts/10205579123770805:1

The whole thing is worth a read, but some highlights:

quote:

Normally when you are arrested, you are given a copy of your charging documents and then you must see a commissioner within 24 hours for a bail determination ("prompt presentment") and given a trial date. If you are not released after the commissioner hearing, you will be brought before a judge for
a review of the bail set by the commissioner. None of this was happening...

quote:

Governor Hogan had issued an executive order, extending the time for prompt presentment to 47 hours. We believed that this order was invalid because the governor has no authority to alter the Maryland Rules. As a result, all people who were being detained for more than 24 hours without seeing a commissioner were being held illegally.

quote:

Not only had these women been held for two days and two nights without any sort of formal booking, BUT ALMOST NONE OF THEM HAD ACTUALLY BEEN CHARGED WITH ANYTHING. They were brought to CBIF via paddy wagons (most without seat belts, btw--a real shocker after all that's happened), and taken to holding cells without ever being charged with an actual crime. No offense reports. No statements of probable cause. A few women had a vague idea what they might be charged with, some because of what they had actually been involved in, and some because of what the officer said, but quite a few had no idea why they were even there.

quote:

The holding cells are approximately 10x10 (some slightly larger), with one open sink and toilet. The women were instructed that the water was "bad" and that they shouldn't drink it. There are no beds--just a concrete cube. No blankets or pillows. The cells were designed to hold people for a few hours, not a few days. In the one cell which housed 15 women, there wasn't even enough room for them all to lay down at the same time. Three times a day, the guards brought each woman 4 slices of bread, a slice of american cheese and a small bag of cookies. They sometimes got juice, but water was scarce, as the CO's had to wheel a water cooler through every so often (the regular water being "broken".)

My fellow attorneys and I all separately heard the same sickening story over and over. None of the women really wanted to eat 4 slices of bread 3 times a day, so they were saving slices of bread TO USE AS PILLOWS.
A lot of this behavior by the police sounds quite similar to what David Simon was describing during the Martin O'Malley years: round up everyone that's black and hope for the best.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Hold on, how is it possible that charges have been filed? Didn't people riot?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Radish posted:

Anyone that pulls the "well he did something illegal so he bears responsibility for what ended up happening" should have a swastika branded onto their forehead.

I mean, I get that cause and effect is a thing--sure, I guess if he hadn't gone inside the cops wouldn't have gone inside, etc., etc.--but holy gently caress, enough with the victim blaming. You don't order a dog to maul someone who is sitting on their couch with their hands in the air. There is no cause for that. None.

The only way he bears responsibility for what happened to him is if we're also going to say, "Well, guess he shouldn't have lived in that neighborhood/city/state/country if he didn't wanna get mauled :smuggo:"

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

I don't see the problem with the union. They do what they are supposed to.

Your own biases are preventing you from looking. Each case by itself you can ascribe to the union sticking up for a member...zoom out and you see a systemic problem. The union acts as a bulwark to shield criminals from prosecution. It uses political clout and money as a cudgel. This is a pervesion of organized labor.

It takes a brave local prosecutor or the Feds for justice to be meted out in most cases, and there has to be egregious evidence. Without that type of evidence you can forget about it...the internal investigations always turn up nothing. It is a joke.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Time for something cute and uplifting

(Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Does Maryland not have a Felony Murder statute (IE if someone dies in commission of a felony, everyone involved in the commission of the felony can get a murder charge)?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Let's hope that that travesty of justice rule is not used here, or anywhere.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DARPA posted:

For a nice change of pace from police murdering people, check out this video of an officer ordering his dog to eat the face off a man sitting on the couch with his hands in the air.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2460434-155/west-jordan-police-sued-for-excessive (2:12 for the impatient)

Well this is horrible.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Does Maryland not have a Felony Murder statute (IE if someone dies in commission of a felony, everyone involved in the commission of the felony can get a murder charge)?

While in this case everyone clearly shared responsibility, I think those statutes are pretty dumb. That's how you get someone getting a life sentence for murder because he lent his car to a friend who then, unbeknownst to him, used it to drive to a break-in, wherein another dude shot the homeowner.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

Let's hope that that travesty of justice rule is not used here, or anywhere.

Agreed.

Also, you should start up a thread on the appropriate role of unions at some point because I'd really like to dive into it with you, since we clearly have some rather extensive disagreements. (I'd also like to see one about the comparative value of equality versus privileged desirables, which you also feel rather strongly about)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It only applies to a few specific felonies, see here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr&section=2-201&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

I guess if you wanted to charge kidnapping but good luck with that one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not saying Unions don't, I'm saying protecting them from legal consequences of lawbreaking isn't the "point" of them, unless you're seriosuly arguing that this is the core purpose of Unions. I guess I should have done more to separate that from the statement that followed about what I thought they should do.

I've edited the post to hopefully be more clear about what I meant.

Honestly, I'd be pretty pissed off if my union dues, rather than supporting strikes, being used for lobbying, or used for leverage/suits with my employer to ensure fair treatment and better compensation were instead used to defend some piece of poo poo who breaks the rules and kills a person.

I haven't been in a union since forever, but that union was quick to defend people for being lazy, missing work, etc, but always immediately washed their hands of anyone who got violent.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I pray in the rhetorical sense that we're finally at the turning point where police brutality, racial profiling, extorting poor neighborhoods... isn't just "part of the job." But in reality we're taking only the first baby steps on days like today. Just hope people like Mosby keep on it, because god knows other people will just tow the line and do nothing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arkane posted:

Your own biases are preventing you from looking. Each case by itself you can ascribe to the union sticking up for a member...zoom out and you see a systemic problem. The union acts as a bulwark to shield criminals from prosecution. It uses political clout and money as a cudgel. This is a pervesion of organized labor.

It takes a brave local prosecutor or the Feds for justice to be meted out in most cases, and there has to be egregious evidence. Without that type of evidence you can forget about it...the internal investigations always turn up nothing. It is a joke.

Oh good, I thought the systemic problem in Baltimore was racism and authoritarianism, turns out it's the right to legal representation and the labor movement that are to blame, what a relief.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

TotalHell posted:

Look it's not that hard, just don't lean back threateningly with your hands up. You might have another burning Christmas tree on your person, just waiting to hurl it at the cops.

It's clear he should have stood up and lunged at the officers in a friendly manner instead, just follow the rules and the police won't hurt you! When will people learn!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

I pray in the rhetorical sense that we're finally at the turning point where police brutality, racial profiling, extorting poor neighborhoods... isn't just "part of the job." But in reality we're taking only the first baby steps on days like today. Just hope people like Mosby keep on it, because god knows other people will just tow the line and do nothing.

It's finally starting to get the attention it deserves, and there's no way we'd be seeing any of this if it weren't for the protests and unrest in Ferguson, the protests over Garner in NY, and the protests and unrest in Baltimore. Without that pressure from the public these incidents would be getting zero coverage and no charges would have been filed.

Which is why the protests need to continue.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 1, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's finally starting to get the attention it deserves, and there's no way we'd be seeing any of this if it weren't for the protests and unrest in Ferguson, the protests over Garner in NY, and the protests and unrest in Baltimore. Without that pressure from the public these incidents would be getting zero coverage and no charges would have been filed.

Which is why the protests need to continue.

Especially because the DA or whatever straight up said that the indictment was directly caused by the riots.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Oh good, I thought the systemic problem in Baltimore was racism and authoritarianism, turns out it's the right to legal representation and the labor movement that are to blame, what a relief.

Is racism actually the major cause of the problems in Baltimore? Or even authoritarianism? I mean, it seems to be more a case of gross irresponsibility and rampant opportunistic incompetence combined with an intentional gutting of the police force on account of the previous mayor in favour of lawlessness that looked good on paper, combined with the gross inequality and poverty.

I mean, I don't doubt racism is a huge determinant in who they target, but it seems like things wouldn't be all that different even if everyone in the city was white.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
The Baltimore FOP has tweeted an open letter requesting that the DA bring in a special prosecutor due to potential conflicts of interest for the DA https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/594147983731490820

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, it can't be both, after all:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20111204/ARTICLE/111209980?p=1&tc=pg

quote:

Norton acknowledged in his brief that the incident leading to Currie's termination was not his most severe: Currie had gone to an ex-girlfriend's house while she slept, banged on her window until the glass shattered and cursed her and the man she was with.

However, the university argued that Currie should be judged on his entire career.

Breaking the window "was the concluding incident in a bizarre history of similar, but more serious, off-duty domestic misconduct," Norton wrote. "All the evidence in this case must be weighed against this history."

According to school records, Currie was evicted from his residence in 1992 because of repeated instances of "domestic disturbances." Nine days after FIU hired him in 1996, Currie was arrested for domestic battery. He received a three-day suspension and underwent domestic violence counseling. Shortly after completing the program, he was again arrested over domestic violence allegations.

The school fired him. While he was terminated, Currie was arrested and accused of child abuse.

Florida law gives public employees the right to a hearing before an arbitrator, and the Police Benevolent Association filed a grievance on Currie's behalf.
Norton, who estimates he handles 25 to 30 labor cases every year, said arbitrators "generally tend to lean in favor of an officer."

In 1999, an arbitrator sent Currie back to work by changing the school's termination into a 10-month suspension.

Three years later, a supervisor gave Currie permission to leave work early and get his car fixed. Instead, Currie drove — armed and in uniform — to confront a man he thought was sleeping with his girlfriend.

Following that incident, the school sent Currie to a law enforcement psychologist who deemed Currie "unfit for duty." The psychologist said there was "a continuing high probability to engage in future serious off-duty altercations."

Currie returned to work after completing a 90-day treatment plan. Two months later, he broke his ex-girlfriend's window and the school fired him.

The police union again fought the termination,
providing lawyers and experts to rebut allegations against him. Union lawyers measured angles to determine if an eyewitness could see the window, found an old girlfriend to give an alibi and even questioned whether the victim was sitting on a bed or a sofa at the time of the incident.

Norton countered that Currie was a "regular source of embarrassment and disrepute."

"Enough is enough," the attorney wrote. "We cannot let Currie 'beat the system' again, it is time to put an end to his career at FIU."

The arbitrator disagreed and ruled in Currie's favor.

"The predatory nature of this guy was clearly demonstrated," Norton said. "There's an enormous amount of power that comes with being a law enforcement officer. It was a very bad decision."

Early one July morning in 2005, Currie spotted a pair of teenagers kissing in a parked car while he was on duty. He ordered the pair out of the vehicle. Currie groped the young woman, touching her genitals and exposing her breasts. At the same time, he forced the girl's boyfriend to drop his pants and watch.

I understand that in some cases unions have legal obligations to defend people, right or wrong, but it's loving shameful that what's supposedly a labor organisation would spend its resources making sure that someone who habitually engages in violence of or relating to a sexual nature keep his badge until he gets so bold that there's no saving him or his victims. An ideal world union would exist to defend against worker abuse and ensure safe conditions, dignified and respectful treatment of workers, and fair compensation/benefits/work schedules. They wouldn't be busy trying to get keep a serial abuser in a position to wield state violence.

unrelated:

Spiky Ooze posted:

I pray in the rhetorical sense

this is the funniest turn of phrase ever hahahahaha

I want to meet a guy who says "just my luck! ---- oh hi, there, by the way I didn't mean luck literally I do not believe in luck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Please don't use police unions to paint all unions as bad (just like one shouldn't use the general concept of unions being good to defend cop unions).

• Locked thread