Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bored posted:

There's a quick Sandal cameo? Where?

There's a brief mention of him in one of Varric's war table missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
In regards Dwarf mages, dwarves have animations for using staves which you can see if you install a mod that removes class requirements. I don't know enough about game development to say whether it means anything that they animated dwarves using a wizard's tools.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So with World of Thedas vol.2 coming out, two short stories about Samson and Calpernia are going to come out on the Bioware website. Calpernia's story isn't out but Samson's story is out and, I think, it gives real interesting insight into him and the Red Templars.

Paper and Steel

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SgtSteel91 posted:

So with World of Thedas vol.2 coming out, two short stories about Samson and Calpernia are going to come out on the Bioware website. Calpernia's story isn't out but Samson's story is out and, I think, it gives real interesting insight into him and the Red Templars.

Paper and Steel

That was pretty good for a short story. Sampson really was deluding himself into believing he was a leader of real soldiers despite the fact that he knew his followers were turning into crystal monsters. I'm kind of surprised that the Reds still had that much of their personalities. I thought most of them were just crazed berzerkers.

Still, nice little bit of background for an important character who doesn't appear much.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

That was pretty good for a short story. Sampson really was deluding himself into believing he was a leader of real soldiers despite the fact that he knew his followers were turning into crystal monsters. I'm kind of surprised that the Reds still had that much of their personalities. I thought most of them were just crazed berzerkers.

Still, nice little bit of background for an important character who doesn't appear much.

I think the Red Templars knew they were going to turn into crystal monsters but accepted it if they could destroy the Chantry and build a new world.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 1, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shugojin posted:

god that was so satisfying to melt that fucker's calm

I lobotomized that guy (I think I know who you're talking about) and when a bunch of mages protested the decision, I had no trouble ordering Cullen to take a contingent of troops down there and put an end to that. With finality. It's probably the reason I got an ending with the Inquisition and Viviane's Chantry staring daggers at each other though. Gestapoing the mages and sweeping up the Red Templars didn't exactly make anyone super happy.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So Jaws of Hakkon will be out on PS4, PS3, and Xbox 360... May 26

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Warmachine posted:

I lobotomized that guy (I think I know who you're talking about) and when a bunch of mages protested the decision, I had no trouble ordering Cullen to take a contingent of troops down there and put an end to that. With finality. It's probably the reason I got an ending with the Inquisition and Viviane's Chantry staring daggers at each other though. Gestapoing the mages and sweeping up the Red Templars didn't exactly make anyone super happy.

Vivienne actually greatly approves of you conscripting the mages rather than allying with them

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

What is that short story saying... A dwarf with strange eyes telling him that Cory wants to meet him? Is sandal evil!?!?!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can you still farm schematics from Valeska's Watch or has that been patched?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

swimming anime posted:

What is that short story saying... A dwarf with strange eyes telling him that Cory wants to meet him? Is sandal evil!?!?!

A warden with a "taller" shadow. So a warden possessed by Corypheus.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

A warden with a "taller" shadow. So a warden possessed by Corypheus.

But the 'dwarf with strange eyes' tells him to go upstairs. i'm sure it could be any dwarf but it was in kirkwall after all...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

swimming anime posted:

But the 'dwarf with strange eyes' tells him to go upstairs. i'm sure it could be any dwarf but it was in kirkwall after all...

Oh, I misread it.

Well, if I recall correctly, all the carta under Corypheus's control had those blight eyes. Could be one of those! It's even a dwarf.

Or it could just not mean anything.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I got bored and Microsoft's new toy is kinda fun...

It's surprisingly good at finding the faces in tarot card artwork. I tried loading up the group photo for shits and giggles but it only discovered 5 random faces.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Uh, what happened Bianca(?)?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I hope Giraffe Dwarf becomes an intricate part of the Dragon Age lore.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rinkles posted:

Something beautiful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I think red lyrium might be bad for you

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

What is the schematic for that helmet? :haw:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How do PROCs stack? For instance if I had 4 pieces of equipment with "+25% stagger on hit", would the stagger chance be 100%, or would 4 separate rolls at 25% be made?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rinkles posted:

How do PROCs stack? For instance if I had 4 pieces of equipment with "+25% stagger on hit", would the stagger chance be 100%, or would 4 separate rolls at 25% be made?

So far as I'm aware, procs do not stack at all, and the game defaults to whichever one is the most powerful. E.g. if two pieces of gear have a 25% and 20% chance to proc hidden blades, the weaker one will be overwritten and you'll have a 25% chance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

So far as I'm aware, procs do not stack at all, and the game defaults to whichever one is the most powerful. E.g. if two pieces of gear have a 25% and 20% chance to proc hidden blades, the weaker one will be overwritten and you'll have a 25% chance.

I just noticed the Attributes section actually gives you a run down of a lot of these stats. These are presented as a single consolidated value, which would imply a single roll. Special stuff like "guard on hit" isn't listed, though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Skippy McPants posted:

drat, really? I put it on each of my twin daggers and it seemed to hit more, though that may have just been me assuming it was doing more. Looks like there might actually be a reason to slap 'caltrops on hit' on something after all.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So The Black Emporium is coming out on everything May 5 along with an addition to the multiplayer (new map, the ability to fight a Dragon, and new characters) at no cost

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

SgtSteel91 posted:

So The Black Emporium is coming out on everything May 5 along with an addition to the multiplayer (new map, the ability to fight a Dragon, and new characters) at no cost

Sweet!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

SgtSteel91 posted:

This is cool. I like that they are letting you redo your appearance. Also Jaws of Hakkon is coming out May 26 for Tier 2 systems.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

This is cool. I like that they are letting you redo your appearance. Also Jaws of Hakkon is coming out May 26 for Tier 2 systems.

I could have done with that a few weeks ago :argh: Herah might have thrived as a character, instead of being deleted :supaburn: Sorry, let my guard slip for a second there. I wonder if I'll have finished my second run by the time Hakkon comes out? In principle I've seen most of everything already, but the pace is proving slower because I'm somehow enjoying things even more, and taking my sweet time.

If I do a third run it may as well be Knightmare (since that'd see a clean-sweep of all trophies). I've not played Mage yet - from what I've read this is likely to dove-tail quite nicely? Game-breaking mage builds for the win, as they say?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Isabela is also returning as a playable multiplayer character: http://volperr.tumblr.com/post/117862835296/claim-your-place-among-the-dragon-slayers-of

:unsmigghh:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I've been playing Jaws of Hakkon and while I am definitely a dirty biased Bioware fanboy, I'd say it's worth the $15. I'm playing it post-endgame, and I'm finding unique gear that is definitely comparable to or beyond stuff you can craft in the base game. Everything is pretty high level in the DLC area, and the new enemies have some interesting abilities that make gameplay considerably more challenging. The map is rather diverse in addition to being beautiful. I also am really enjoying all the Avvar stuff we haven't gotten to see before and additional dialogue from companions. For example, I took Cole to see the Avvar shaman (the augur) and his reaction was pretty great. I wonder if that dialogue changes depending on Cole's personal quest...

Super excited for the new multiplayer DLC though, I really only have been playing to complete the weekend challenges recently and the MP game really needs some more depth.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

What *is* the MP like for this game, anyway? I've not tried it yet. ME3's was quite fun for a bit, but ultimately, the MP was the game stripped of much of what I liked about it. Edit: A big part of what made ME3 MP resonate was playing with goons; talking poo poo and having a laugh. Even if I was mostly comedic relief on account of sucking so bad :smith:

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 1, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

magimix just out of curiousity what did your total number of ME2 playthroughs come to

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

magimix just out of curiousity what did your total number of ME2 playthroughs come to

I lost count at 34 :stare: Of which 30 (Edit: or was it 31? I forget...) were Insanity runs. Of which 3 were weaponless, and 1 or 2 were upgradeless.

Edit: Actually I can probably bump those numbers up further, because when I got rid of the 360, I rebought the whole trilogy and all its DLC on PC.

Edit: In the end, ME3 the least-played of the Mass Effect games. Only 11 or 12 runs. (On 360)

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 1, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

projecthalaxy posted:

Nice. Hopefully I'll have finished my current DAO+DA2 playthrough by then and be ready to hit up DAI again.

...I'm not the only person autistic enough to do a complete playthrough of all three games every time, right? It'll be totally worth it to see the three or four lines that change in both DA2 and DAI when I import a save with a human noble who married Anora to become king :negative:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

Nice. Hopefully I'll have finished my current DAO+DA2 playthrough by then and be ready to hit up DAI again.

...I'm not the only person autistic enough to do a complete playthrough of all three games every time, right? It'll be totally worth it to see the three or four lines that change in both DA2 and DAI when I import a save with a human noble who married Anora to become king :negative:

Thats what I used to do with Mass Effect. Not enough of a fan of Dragon Age to do it there too. Really for me, Inquisition is the first Dragon Age game I've *really* been gripped by. They largely addressed the issues I had with DA:O and DA2.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Wolfsheim posted:

I beat (and started with) DAI and then bought the other two and went back. I'd done enough reading of the lore that I never felt lost, but this time around I'm excited to have the HoF and Hawke be me instead of just Important Dudes

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

grack posted:

Vivienne actually greatly approves of you conscripting the mages rather than allying with them

She does, but it's a case of right response, wrong reasons, what with my Inquisitor's justification to anyone who asks being, "Jackboot now, freedom once Coryphy-poo poo is dead." Why forgive the Grey Wardens and bring them into the Inquisition's fold? To use them as anti-corruption shock troops. Everyone's pretty pissed at them, what is a few dead Wardens at the end of the world? :unsmigghh:

magimix posted:

Thats what I used to do with Mass Effect. Not enough of a fan of Dragon Age to do it there too. Really for me, Inquisition is the first Dragon Age game I've *really* been gripped by. They largely addressed the issues I had with DA:O and DA2.

It helps that Mass Effect is a trilogy, where as Dragon Age is a series of separate stories connected by the political events in that world. Thedas isn't as personal to me as Commander John Shepard of the Alliance.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
One other small free thing coming, in case hadn't been noticed in that announcement:

"As an added bonus for players of Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age II, two new thrones will be unlocked for use at Skyhold. Be sure to download and install the latest Dragon Age: Inquisition game update to get these thrones at no additional cost. Will you lead the Inquisition from the Legacy Kirkwall throne or the Legacy Ferelden throne? The choice is yours!"

So, apparently Patch 7 will also include the new thrones. Pretty indicative that P7 will be required by Black Emporium. (P7 also being the big MP additions).

BioWare are just now closing the beta MP server to roll everything for Tuesday upgrade. Nothing on what plans for P8 beta announced yet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can't wait for Aveline.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Warmachine posted:

It helps that Mass Effect is a trilogy, where as Dragon Age is a series of separate stories connected by the political events in that world. Thedas isn't as personal to me as Commander John Shepard of the Alliance.

This is true, but it is also one of the things I've since come to appreciate about the Dragon Age franchise. 'Dragon Age' isn't *about* the player-character in the way that Mass Effect was about Shepard's adventures. There is a greater sense of poo poo happening in-spite of, and without recourse to, the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

magimix posted:

This is true, but it is also one of the things I've since come to appreciate about the Dragon Age franchise. 'Dragon Age' isn't *about* the player-character in the way that Mass Effect was about Shepard's adventures. There is a greater sense of poo poo happening in-spite of, and without recourse to, the player.

Oh, that's not to say I'm not interested in what happened; just that there's no need for me to replay everything to piece things out. Though, I might, seeing as summer just rolled into town and it's been forever since I heard Alistair be incurably stupid on screen.

• Locked thread