Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I honestly don't really know how PT grinders even manage to stay afloat financially.

Writing Articles, MODO, other part time work

IIRC Cedric Phillips used to pay for his travel fees while grinding by multiqueueing on modo and converting tix to dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Poker...

A lot of the PT players are gambling addicts and are loving GOOD at it. Hell EFRO has a few bracelets doesn't he?

Efro is finacially independent from poker winnings IIRC.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
at least one of them via the drug trade!!!!!!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

Do you hate everyone in this thread if nobody laughs at this joke?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'll write a long article about it even

e: a long bad article entitled "the magic thread sucks"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

black potus posted:

I was never convicted!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

Do you hate everyone in this thread if nobody laughs at this joke?

I laughed. :colbert:

Please like me. :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

Efro is finacially independent from poker winnings IIRC.

He's made about $2.4 million in the last 10 years from Poker.

So he's only averaging about $240,000 a year, or 6 times the payout of a PT victory. :v:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm not gonna split in the finals of FNM until I've won it straight up a few times. I want to say that I've gone 5-0. I've never even been in the finals yet. 4th was my best after a 3-1-1 night. But, when I do finally get to play for first, I want to actually play. If I lose, and it takes me a few months to get back to playing for first, I'm gonna play it out again. My store is super competitive, and I want to be able to say I've finished first at least a couple times.

Once that happens, gently caress it, draws for days.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

Writing Articles, MODO, other part time work

IIRC Cedric Phillips used to pay for his travel fees while grinding by multiqueueing on modo and converting tix to dollars.

He had a day job too. Manager at the cheesecake factory in Bellevue. I think his degree is in food service management.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I've gone 3-0 at a smaller FNM but never 5-0. 4-1 is my best so far with that many rounds I think. But I want to go 5-0! At one store, going first gets you like 9 packs. Second gets you 4. So I'd be totally down to split that as getting second in that situation kinda sucks. Same prize as the next few spots too.

With the Atarka Red deck I've been playing, I've lost to a few decks where Harness by Force would have saved me a helluva lot more than anything else I drew, I think I'll side that back in. Only one at the moment, maybe 2? Seems like a lot. Also considering Outpost Siege against those green durdly decks, but that just seems so slow. Then again I typically spend 3-4 turns losing those games with one card in hand not doing much, so maybe there's a reason those get added in. Hall of Triumph too, although I never got to use it previously. Mirror Matches it is great against, but my meta doesn't have many of those and the atarka's command helps with that a lot.

Sideboard is currently:
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Roast
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Destructive Reverly
1 Magmatic Chasm
1 Scouring Sands
1 Harness by Force

Might drop a Chasm and a roast for Sieges? Maybe lose the Scouring Sands and keep the Chasm? Maybe 1 Siege and a Hall of Triumph? Seriously the only thing I ever really worry about playing at my local game stores are those green devotion or g/r dragons. Basically anything with Caryatids and Coursers. I side out the Lightning Strikes against green typically, unless they have Fleecemane and then I side out a few for roasts I guess? Take out the lightning berserkers (2 of) for more rabble, drop a zurgo or two, etc. Sideboarding is the worst.

Last guy that beat me did it with Warden of the First Tree, Fleecemane Lion, Coursers, and Siege Rhinos. And was annoyed at me for playing red the entire time. You're playing Siege Rhinos dude, c'mon.

edit: Hrm, you know I don't like the lightning zerkers that much. What if I took one out (one left as a dasher/pumpable guy is still nice against control) and put in another Rabblemaster. Opens a sideboard slot and ups the power (and also curve) of the deck a bit?

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 1, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think it depends how your LGS runs their FNM tournament and prizing. At the place I go it's 4 rounds, with usually about 25-35 people, with all the 4-0s and 3-X-Xs getting prizes.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dohaeris posted:

At one store, going first gets you like 9 packs. Second gets you 4. So I'd be totally down to split that as getting second in that situation kinda sucks. Same prize as the next few spots too.

First place at my lgs usually gets 15 or so packs. Second gets around 11. They pay out to 8th, and everyone with a 3-2 or better that didn't place gets a pity pack.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Also lol if your FNMs are longer than 4 rounds for constructed and 3 rounds for draft.

My ideal drafting scenario given unlimited money and unlimited decent people to draft with would be draft, play one round, draft, play one round, draft, play one round, and so on. It's very good for me that I'm both broke and do not own a Windows computer, otherwise I'm pretty sure MODO 8-4s would be the death of me.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

BXCX posted:

Also lol if your FNMs are longer than 4 rounds for constructed and 3 rounds for draft.

My ideal drafting scenario given unlimited money and unlimited decent people to draft with would be draft, play one round, draft, play one round, draft, play one round, and so on. It's very good for me that I'm both broke and do not own a Windows computer, otherwise I'm pretty sure MODO 8-4s would be the death of me.

I had been going to a store Monday nights too but they started going to 5 rounds starting at 6:30 and I have to be at work at 7am the next morning so that's kinda tough. Plus a 30-40 minute drive to the drat store.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't even really like Rabblemaster all that much in Mono Red.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Wasn't efro begging for donations from twitch viewers like 2-3 weeks ago?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Wasn't efro begging for donations from twitch viewers like 2-3 weeks ago?

Maybe he's a good businessman.

Or surprise!!! Dude who gambles heavily gambled all his money away.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't even really like Rabblemaster all that much in Mono Red.

He is nice in that if I have him on the board they have to deal with it basically immediately or I've won the game. I end up siding them in against a loooot of other stuff because if you can get a free dragon fodder or outburst off the thing over a few turns it is great.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Yeah it's not like you can't ask for twitch donations if you don't really need them. Seems like asking is just positive EV and therefore no sane professional gambler is going to turn it down.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Hellsau posted:

I was never convicted!

he went to prison for 4 years :ssh:

edit: I'm dumb and read that I as a he

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 1, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Maybe he's a good businessman.

Or surprise!!! Dude who gambles heavily gambled all his money away.

If I remember right, it's because his dog Honey (who twitch chat loves) had to have surgery a few weeks ago because of leg problems, so he was asking for help with the expenses because surgery ain't cheap.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Dohaeris posted:

I had been going to a store Monday nights too but they started going to 5 rounds starting at 6:30 and I have to be at work at 7am the next morning so that's kinda tough. Plus a 30-40 minute drive to the drat store.

There was a big fight at our store over Tuesday night modern because it had been capped at 4 rounds with payout based on standings with ~30 players so there were always a few 3-1s who missed out on store credit payouts and were getting mad about it (although they never complained when they 3-1ed into $60 store credit). The resolution options were play out all the events until there was a true X-0 with top heavy prize support (meaning 5 rounds on an average night and 6 on a big turnout night) or cap at 4 rounds and pay on record with payouts to 2-2 or better. Sides were divided between people with jobs and families and magic lifestyle players; even though the lifestyle players were louder and much more upset about the whole thing but fortunately there were more of us who didn't want to be driving home from wizard poker at 1-2 in the morning.

FNM draft also used to be mixed pods, play out to true X-0, but gently caress that noise. That's one of the few hills I'm willing to die on in regards to People Being Wrong About How To Play Magic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah yes the magic lifestyle player. I've seen them in stores playing during Christmas Day or thanksgiving evening on the way to a relative's place.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Niton posted:

If I remember right, it's because his dog Honey (who twitch chat loves) had to have surgery a few weeks ago because of leg problems, so he was asking for help with the expenses because surgery ain't cheap.

it's about $4200, he has they money. he's just smart and will have other people pay it if he can

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

I think it depends how your LGS runs their FNM tournament and prizing. At the place I go it's 4 rounds, with usually about 25-35 people, with all the 4-0s and 3-X-Xs getting prizes.
My LGS does 4s round regardless of the number of people, with prizes based on record to anyone with a 2-1-1 or better. This is how they do pretty much all of their tournaments and it's pretty nice because it brings in 25-45 players every time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

We do 5 rounds for constructed, 3 for draft. I wish they'd cut a round off constructed.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Chill la Chill posted:

Ah yes the magic lifestyle player. I've seen them in stores playing during Christmas Day or thanksgiving evening on the way to a relative's place.

Dear Wizards, please hire me as the first official Magic: the Gathering Lifestyle Coach.TM My duties will include encouraging others to embrace the M:tG LifestyleTM by directing all discretionary income to Magic: the Gathering products, directing all investment income into sealed boxes of Modern Masters 2, and directing all career aspirations towards opening a brick and mortar store that deals exclusively in the fine products that Wizards of the Coast has to offer. I will accept payment in the form of booster boxes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
realchat should I hold onto my sealed boxes of MM2 or should I crack them

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Great question which no-one knows the answer to because we know 5 cards in the set

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do we even know the EV on MM2 packs yet? I though we've only had a fraction of the rares spoiled. I can't wait to see the filler junk that will crush your soul when you give in to temptation and crack that $15 pack.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BXCX posted:

Dear Wizards, please hire me as the first official Magic: the Gathering Lifestyle Coach.TM My duties will include encouraging others to embrace the M:tG LifestyleTM by directing all discretionary income to Magic: the Gathering products, directing all investment income into sealed boxes of Modern Masters 2, and directing all career aspirations towards opening a brick and mortar store that deals exclusively in the fine products that Wizards of the Coast has to offer. I will accept payment in the form of booster boxes.

I imagine a crossfit style network (aptly called boxes too) would fit the libertarian hellscape utopia that is the wizard card market.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Do we even know the EV on MM2 packs yet? I though we've only had a fraction of the rares spoiled. I can't wait to see the filler junk that will crush your soul when you give in to temptation and crack that $15 pack.

Um they are $10??????

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

It doesn't seem like MSRP it gonna be too tough this time around. The owner at my store told me he's selling at MSRP hell or highwater as to what's in the set and that he's getting "a ton" of product.

I am dumb and drink too much and preordered a box at a little below MSRP the other night (like a few cents below MSRP).

Count Bleck posted:

Um they are $10??????

I think he's imagining they'll sell over MSRP. I'm sure they will if you just hold onto the boxes for a few months.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

stack the packs into creative shapes and sell the photographs you take of the sculptures

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Um they are $10??????

If the first MM was anything to go by, good lucking getting packs at MSRP.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wezlar posted:

he went to prison for 4 years :ssh:

edit: I'm dumb and read that I as a he

whoa i thought it was only for like, 6 months

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
What really sucks for Chapin is that he's apparently banned for life from entering Japan due to his criminal record, so he can never attend a PT there ever. I'm not sure if he's banned from anywhere else, but that's probably the most significant place.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Chill la Chill posted:

I imagine a crossfit style network (aptly called boxes too) would fit the libertarian hellscape utopia that is the wizard card market.

We'll call it MetaFit. Don't miss the BOD (Build of the Day), today we're working on Esper Dragons, make sure you pick up your singles from us or we'll yell at you. Riffle shuffle until you puke, sort cards until your kidneys fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

BXCX posted:

They'll hire you, but you need 10 years of life coach experience, a MS in psychology, and they'll only pay you $25k.

• Locked thread