Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Frabba posted:

The Baltimore FOP has tweeted an open letter requesting that the DA bring in a special prosecutor due to potential conflicts of interest for the DA https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/594147983731490820

"No, lol" Said the DA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

snyprmag posted:

Please don't use police unions to paint all unions as bad (just like one shouldn't use the general concept of unions being good to defend cop unions).

Nah, I'm firmly of the belief that there are really good unions and really bad unions, that the existence of unions in general is a Good Thing.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been more social unrest over the Tamir Rice case. Is there a reason for that?

Also for posterity I do want to go back to the Atlanta back-of-the-police-car shooting mentioned on the previous pagetwo pages ago. That article is something.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/woman-killed-in-shootout-with-atlanta-police-ident/nk65N/

quote:

It all began when Christian, who police believed had stolen a car, was put into the back of a patrol car, Atlanta police said Thursday night. But somehow, and it wasn’t known how, Christian had a gun and fired shots at two officers, Major Darin Schierbaum said. Officers returned fire, striking Christian at least twice, Schierbaum said. No officers were injured.

The sound of gunshots was startling to those near the downtown intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Pryor Street just as the afternoon rush hour was beginning.

Valencia Riden said she heard six or seven shots as she approached the intersection, but wasn’t sure where the shots were fired. And she didn’t stop to ask.

As some witnesses took cover, others downtown found themselves stranded as officers quickly closed roads in the area and an Underground parking deck. Most had no idea what had happened, but there was no mistaken what they’d heard.

“We heard three shots,” said Tressa Madden, who was trying to cross the street at the time. “We heard three more shots and everybody ran back across the street.”

Madden saw an officer fire a shot, but she wasn’t sure at whom he was firing.

Witnesses watched as officers pulled Christian from the patrol car and administered CPR. The woman was then loaded into the back of an ambulance and driven to Grady Memorial Hospital, where she later died.

I'm kidding, as the previous poster mentioned, this is actually how the article begins:

quote:

A woman killed in a Thursday afternoon shootout with police near Underground Atlanta was a 26-year-old mother of two with a long police record that includes eight arrests in Fulton County dating back to 2006.

The Fulton Medical Examiner’s office Friday identified the woman as Alexia Christian.

According to county jail records, Christian was most recently arrested by East Point police in March for selling marijuana, and by Atlanta police in January for shoplifting. Three of her prior arrests involved charges of auto theft. In two of those arrests, she was also charged with obstructing officers, jail records show.

Steps away from the Underground Atlanta police precinct, and within a block of the Fulton County courthouse and administration building where Brian Nichols killed three people just over 10 years ago, officers shot and killed Christian after she allegedly fired shots from the backseat of a patrol car about 5 p.m.

Not sure what she has to do with Brian Nichols, but hey why not, throw him in there too.

Also, re: Freddie Gray case, Fox News has pretty much turned the floor over to an African American sheriff who is calling the charges politically motivated red meat to appease an angry mob. That will be the narrative going forward.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 1, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Nah, I'm firmly of the belief that there are really good unions and really bad unions, that the existence of unions in general is a Good Thing.

Much like police unto themselves. They aren't all bad, and imgur and reddit are sure to post them rescuing kittens or giving homeless dudes blankets during times of crisis like these, so I know there are good ones out there soldiering through the poo poo-mess their other brothers in uniform perpetrate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

Much like police unto themselves. They aren't all bad, and imgur and reddit are sure to post them rescuing kittens or giving homeless dudes blankets during times of crisis like these, so I know there are good ones out there soldiering through the poo poo-mess their other brothers in uniform perpetrate.
What I want to know more than anything is, how concentrated are the bad cops? Are they somewhat evenly distributed across cities and counties, or do just a few cities have 90% of the bad cops in America?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Unions are there to protect and defend their members. Good member good union, lovely member lovely union. They make it hard to get rid of the "Bad Eggs", and keep good employees from loosing their jobs just because they have a douchebag supervisor.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Baltimore FOP has started a gofundme:

http://www.gofundme.com/t5n6ykg

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

pathetic little tramp posted:

Is there any way of knowing if this is actually them and not some random gently caress trying to cheat racists out of their money?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

LorrdErnie posted:

Is there any way of knowing if this is actually them and not some random gently caress trying to cheat racists out of their money?

https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/594238017201676288 I think that's their official Twitter

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Shouldn't this be taken down based on their new rule where you can't start one for people currently under investigation?

Edit: Holy crap asking for $600k.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Samurai Sanders posted:

In just a few months, my father has completely turned around on this. He always CLAIMED that he was suspicious of the police. In fact, he was the one who gave me the "don't talk to the police, don't let them into your home, don't let them do ANYTHING unless they have the legal responsibility to" talk when I was about fifteen, but from many conversations with him more recently it was clear that deep inside, he was giving them the benefit of the doubt because it's a tough job, they're just people too, and all that stuff. Not anymore. Yesterday he related to me a story of years ago how someone he had just met was talking to him about this and he called him a looney, and they parted badly. Now he's trying to look him up to apologize to him.

People can change.

My 40 year old hardcore libertarian brother sat me down yesterday and talked like a dazed war victim about all of this. His entire worldview has been cracking the last few years and this basically shattered it. He doesn't know who to trust, what to think - it's honestly very thought-provoking, as there are tons of people like my brother, right now, getting their worldview polarity completely changed - and not necessarily in the direction my brother is going.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Jesus that Baltimore FOP Twitter:

https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/169137754393948160

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Are the usually tireless police apologists here gathering energy or something? Waiting for a decent set of talking points? Or back into the weeds until the officers are acquitted?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Are the usually tireless police apologists here gathering energy or something? Waiting for a decent set off talking points? Or back into the weeds until the officers are acquitted?

At this point of the process, now is the time to bring hatred upon libtards who only seek vengeance and not due process, yadda yadda.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

The responses are great, though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I want to know more than anything is, how concentrated are the bad cops? Are they somewhat evenly distributed across cities and counties, or do just a few cities have 90% of the bad cops in America?

I think at this point we have to define what makes someone a bad cop. We see videos of cops abusing and killing people, that's certainly bad, but what about the cops who just stood around like this was a normal thing to do to someone? I think the number might be a bit higher if we take into account all the cops who saw crimes happen and did nothing but defend each other when confronted about it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Because 9/11 totally has anything to do with Baltimore...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Agrajag posted:

Because 9/11 totally has anything to do with Baltimore...

How dare you! All police are heroes!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I want to know more than anything is, how concentrated are the bad cops?
In times like this, remind yourself: "All Cops Are Bastards"

I assume that literally every cop that doesn't resign in disgust (like that one trainee did) is part of the machine that grinds up and destroys the poor and colored in America. Serpico and Adrian Schoolcraft are on the good side, literally everyone else is suspect until they personally stop another cop from being abusive.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 1, 2015

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

mlmp08 posted:

I'm thinking back to the police officer's bill of rights that was posted a while back, and what strikes me is that it's a very good set of rules for dealing with disciplinary procedures against an employee. If I was, say, to be accused by a member of the public of insulting them, or accused of misusing office equipment, then it would be good to have a union official present for the disciplinary proceedings. I would also expect that my name not be revealed if I was cleared of wrongdoing.

Where this breaks down is where it goes beyond civil matters between an employee and employer, and into criminal matters. If I were accused of punching someone in the face or smashing up company property, while I would still expect to be treated the same in disciplinary proceedings within the company, I would not have that privilege with regards to a criminal investigation. While it would be good if my union could speak on my behalf or help me with legal matters, I wouldn't expect them to have any power over criminal justice system. There is a clear boundary, at least in theory, between civil matters a union is designed to help with, and criminal matters where its powers are limited.

The problem with prosecuting police, so far as I can make out, is that the employer who carries out disciplinary proceedings is also the body that determines whether a criminal act has occurred. The American police union, in many cases, is given the same degree of power in protecting its members from criminal prosecution as it is from internal disciplinary action.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Shouldn't this be taken down based on their new rule where you can't start one for people currently under investigation?

Edit: Holy crap asking for $600k.

It's down already.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

Von Sloneker posted:

I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been more social unrest over the Tamir Rice case. Is there a reason for that?
It was a pretty brutal winter in Cleveland this year, even by Cleveland standards. There were some protests and blocking of streets but I don't think most of the protests were very large. Edit - I do recall reading that the CPD have been "very engaged" with protestors, but honestly it sounded like a bit of media fluff. Cleveland also got slapped with a very critical DoJ report around that time, that may be evidence that change is already possible?

In Cleveland the Brelo case is wrapping up (the shooting where one cop allegedly jumped up on the hood of the deceased's car to empty another mag), may see something with that depending how the trial goes although the driver of the car was acting very dangerously (drunk and maybe high, led cops on a long chase through the city, drove at officers, some physical evidence someone may have fired a gun from inside the car (such as finding primer residue; however no gun was found at the end of the chase, primer residue isn't 100% concrete and what was taken for gunshots may have been the decedent's car backfiring))- Brelo is the only officer out of many who fired that is facing serious charges, likely due to his shooting way more than other officers and continuing after most other officers thought the threat was over.

Not really sure the situation is comparable to Tamir Rice although the local media is teasing possible unrest.

Waco Panty Raid fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2015

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Holy poo poo. Fire someone into the sun.

Wait, now I see the date. Still unfathomably lovely, but less specific reasons.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 1, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Florida Betty posted:

It's down already.

I bet they had someone waiting and ready to turn it off the second it came up.

That tweet is from 2012, but is still relevant.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cichlid the Loach posted:

The responses are great, though.

"WHERE WAS GONDOR"

lmao

Also Tamir Rice didn't turn into a poo poo show because that department very rapidly burned that officers bridge as soon as the video came out, and it appeared as if he was going to get the book thrown at him.

Not sure where its at now.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's true though not a single youtube video, tweet, or tumblr was posted on Sep 11 2001. Makes you think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So there was that video of that unreported stop that the store owner said the authorities got a hold of. I wonder if there's something heinous on it in light of the charges.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It's true though not a single youtube video, tweet, or tumblr was posted on Sep 11 2001. Makes you think.
:agreed:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

PostNouveau posted:

So there was that video of that unreported stop that the store owner said the authorities got a hold of. I wonder if there's something heinous on it in light of the charges.

Your mind just wanders to the worst case scenario? Why can't you give them the benefit of the doubt? Maybe they were just grabbing some Gatorade to rehydrate after the strenuous lethal rear end beating they just handed out?

Get a grip sheeple

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The UK Daily Mail knows who the true hero his:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3064558/Unmasked-Baltimore-s-Batman-defended-boss-s-bar-machete.html

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

A possible scenario is that they are driving around, whether they are intending to rough Gray up with the ride or not, and at some point, probably the point where he smashed his head on the bolt and broke his neck, they hear that sickening crunch and then no more noise out of Gray. They probably go "oh gently caress" and stop to look Gray over and survey the situation, and realize he's in grave condition. The decision then becomes whether to seek immediate medical attention for the guy, or take a course of action (longer ride, picking up other prisoner etc.) likely to result in Gray's death but removing a witness against them. If something like that happened it might be very difficult to prove intent unless one cop rolled over on the others, but it might not be hard to go for a "depraved indifference" kind of scenario where you have a seriously injured man whose life is in danger who you didn't take care to promptly bring to medical attention.

If the unreported stop shows some of those events it could be pretty damning, like if it shows them examining a limp and lifeless appearing Gray, looking around and stuffing him back in the van and then going on an additional half hour of ride without reporting any of it.

But I have some questions about whether the video actually exists, hopefully it does. Didn't the Korean shop owner say something about the cops first coming and getting copies of the video (before the riots) and then his laptop with the video being looted during the riot?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 1, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

quote:

Brian Woodyard, wearing a surgical mask and wielding a machete, warded off dozens of rioters from the Baltimore off-license where he works on Monday

whoa.

E:

quote:

'Baltimore Batman' who guarded his boss's bar with a MACHETE during the riots, defends use of deadly weapon claiming city is in 'all out war'
Holy race war Batman!

Miltank fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 1, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

But I have some questions about whether the video actually exists, hopefully it does. Didn't the Korean shop owner say something about the cops first coming and getting copies of the video (before the riots) and then his laptop with the video being looted during the riot?

Well the State Attorney has said that she ran her investigation concurrent with the cops and shared information so assuming they didn't hide the video she should have it, no? And since the second stop is included in her investigation that would seem to suggest she knows the video exists if that's the only way they know the stop happened as has been suggested.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
In the video where she details the charges she says she's holding back some evidence for the trial.

Also that video were they describe the arrest through his death is hard to listen to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zwabu posted:

A possible scenario is that they are driving around, whether they are intending to rough Gray up with the ride or not, and at some point, probably the point where he smashed his head on the bolt and broke his neck, they hear that sickening crunch and then no more noise out of Gray. They probably go "oh gently caress" and stop to look Gray over and survey the situation, and realize he's in grave condition. The decision then becomes whether to seek immediate medical attention for the guy, or take a course of action (longer ride, picking up other prisoner etc.) likely to result in Gray's death but removing a witness against them. If something like that happened it might be very difficult to prove intent unless one cop rolled over on the others, but it might not be hard to go for a "depraved indifference" kind of scenario where you have a seriously injured man whose life is in danger who you didn't take care to promptly bring to medical attention.

If the unreported stop shows some of those events it could be pretty damning, like if it shows them examining a limp and lifeless appearing Gray, looking around and stuffing him back in the van and then going on an additional half hour of ride without reporting any of it.

The driver is currently getting a "depraved indifference" second-degree murder charge, as his driving is most directly responsible for the fatal injuries.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

The driver is currently getting a "depraved indifference" second-degree murder charge, as his driving is most directly responsible for the fatal injuries.

If the store video showed the van swerving violently and suddenly braking repeatedly with no other vehicles or any reason for it then that would more or less prove the "rough ride" scenario also. I hope we can see some of this video eventually.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Vahakyla posted:

Let's hope that that travesty of justice rule is not used here, or anywhere.
I disagree.

Using it against murderous cops, and all their assistants that cover up evidence so that they can continue their murders unhindered, is probably the only way the lovely law will be re-examined.

Usually the cops use it to charge other people with shootings when they "forced" the cop to kill someone they weren't aiming at. This is a good opportunity to wipe out an entire corrupt department and have the various villains complain that one of their favorite legal tools is suddenly "un-just".

Everblight posted:

literally everyone else is suspect until they personally stop another cop from being abusive.
Yeah. They need to start hammering these "well I didnt pull the trigger I just hid evidence" fuckers for various conspiracy charges, and Domestic Terrorism (tm).

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 2, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Reading Marilyn Mosbys account of what happened to Freddie Gray made my stomach turn. If this turns out to be what happened (and all signs point to that being the case) I hope all of them get the maximum penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Well the speed of the charges made me think they must have some slam dunk evidence. I hadn't considered that one of the officers may have cut a deal to testify.

• Locked thread