Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

Be still my beating heart, moeen with a 27.5 strike rate.

What is it with strike rates all of a sudden with people in here? It's day one and England were wobbling, there's nothing wrong with it. It's a test match. Go and watch the IPL or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah i dont think strike rates matter today, England are all over the shop. Fine to have a bitch and a moan when they're in the 30's on day 4 when England are already 200 runs ahead but not now. However there is something to be said for letting yourself get bogged down.

So in conclusion cricket is a game of contrasts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Strike rates aren't interesting if they're in double figures.

edit - unless you're using them to track something about how a player plays on different days, or how their style changes over the course of an innings or OH GOD I'M TURNING INTO THE ECB COMPUTER

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Moeen's strike rate is now back up to 47 so perhaps moaning about it was both pointless and premature?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cooks goes into single digits once he hits 40/90 though, thats for sure.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He blasted through the 40 in just 26 balls, he's trundled along pretty steadily. Almost... good.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Fucks sake Moeen just put up a hand and tell him no, let the twat run himself out

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine how quickly they'd drop him if he started refusing runs off Cook.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

It'd be funny if cook missed out on his hundred because he ran out of partners

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I hope he runs himself out the gormless gently caress.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also hes going to be stranded in the 90's overnight because of his slow batting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gonna get to 98, then be out last ball of the day mistiming a hook.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
A cook ton would be hilarious because all the dire idiocy england put on display will be ignored because cooky is back.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Byolante posted:

A cook ton would be hilarious because all the dire idiocy england put on display will be ignored because cooky is back.

I will be ignoring no idiocy. And Cook is barely back, this seems the cricket equivalent of the dead cat bounce.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Thought that was Cook for a sec.

This looks like being a bit of an anemic score.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Heh, Stokes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Umpires looking at the light hahaha.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

"espn crickinfo' posted:

"I can bet Stokes will reach half century before Cook gets his hundred," says Nitish Kumar, boldly. In that case, I suspect you'll have to wait until tomorrow for both

From the ball before Stokes got out, magical bit of commenting

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Three overs left in the day

Odds on Cook blocking an end to go to stumps 99 not out

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Lot of inner steel on display

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He'd have sent Buttler on a suicide single to get that run. He was desperate for it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Ignore everything else that happened today, cook got a century so England WILL win the ashes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

He'd have sent Buttler on a suicide single to get that run. He was desperate for it.

You can bet your life they were running that ball no matter what.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Just seeing his name there reminded me, I wonder with Strauss not commentating on this and going for that ECB job that he's been given the heave ho from Sky. We can but hope.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Sky aren't doing the commentary for this ten sports are, so he's probably still at Sky. I think that its quite funny that you have the two people most likely to get that position at the two broadcasters allowed to broadcast English cricket, with Vaughan usually doing TMS...

lol they just showed a list of players with the most test centuries for England and right in the middle of a load of players that one day might be considered great players (Cook will be remembered for the first bit of his career being great, even if he falls of a cliff drunk tonight celebrating) is... Ian Bell

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Should've blocked it out cooky

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress off Cook.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IceAgeComing posted:

Sky aren't doing the commentary for this ten sports are, so he's probably still at Sky. I think that its quite funny that you have the two people most likely to get that position at the two broadcasters allowed to broadcast English cricket, with Vaughan usually doing TMS...

lol they just showed a list of players with the most test centuries for England and right in the middle of a load of players that one day might be considered great players (Cook will be remembered for the first bit of his career being great, even if he falls of a cliff drunk tonight celebrating) is... Ian Bell

Ian Bell has been legit one of Englands best batsmen which is deeply funny to me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
rip Cook

Couldn't hold it together when it mattered.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Ian Bell's going to be one of those players that's going to appear on all of England's all time players lists while everyone wonders how the hell he managed to get there

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

In 40 years people will look at Bell's stats and put him in their all time England XIs, while all of us who were there will be like, lol

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lionel Richie posted:

In 40 years people will look at Bell's stats and put him in their all time England XIs, while all of us who were there will be like, lol

Ian Bell will be in a BBC piece about best batsmen by stats the way Hoggard was about bowling.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

Strauss will get it, he's an establishment man, Vaughan would embarass their good name too much with his class banter on twitter

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
So what you folks are saying is that Ian Bell is a lot worse than his statistics suggest?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

20 year old student shites claiming he was the best England ever had.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Lionel Richie posted:

I'm now wondering whether any of the old pre-TV players that people put in all-time XIs based on their stats were the Ian Bell of their time

That fuckin Bradman, nowhere near as good as his stats suggest

Lionel Richie posted:

Strauss will get it, he's an establishment man, Vaughan would embarass their good name too much with his class banter on twitter

I can still remember Strauss's class banter about KP on Sky last year; such a lad

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

quote:

So what you folks are saying is that Ian Bell is a lot worse than his statistics suggest?
Statistically, Bell's really interesting. He gets to 50 a greater percentage of the time than any England cricketer in the last few decades. But he also gets out in single figures as often as Graeme Hick. It's no wonder he's so polarising - it's like he's simultaneously worse and better than his statistics suggest.

Also, oh Cook :gbsmith:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 1, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Seams posted:

Well, yes. Apart from those fleeting moments where it seems like he's playing on easy mode and you struggle to understand how he's spent so much of his career being a bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I get the feeling that, as he has now broken is duck, cock is going to push on and score lots of slow centuries for the next 5 years