Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

chuggo is BACK posted:

pedigree cum haha

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Olewithmilk posted:

Johnson is a dedicated team member. As long as there's grass on the pitch, he'll play the field.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
St Mirren captain Steven Thompson says he is "mortified" after injuring team-mate John McGinn with a spiked pole in a training ground prank.

Thompson threw the pole at McGinn which pierced his thigh and resulted in the 20-year-old missing Saturday's win over Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premiership. The Scotland Under-21 midfielder is expected to be out for a further three weeks with the injury.

"I'm mortified by the whole thing," said Thompson. "It was a daft prank."

Speaking to the Scottish Sun, the 36-year-old added: "I threw it for a laugh, stupid me trying to be funny, and unfortunately it's anything but. It's a total disaster."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32481218

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
daft prank really needs to be a daft punk cover act

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i thought the scottish were proud of how few spear chuckers lived there, or have i misunderstood something

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i thought the scottish were proud of how few spear chuckers lived there, or have i misunderstood something

:vince:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eau de MacGowan posted:

they prefer tossers

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/30/former-real-madrid-midfielder-freddy-rincon-wanted-questioning-interpol-drug-crimes

Freddy Rincón, the former Colombia, Real Madrid and Corinthians midfielder, is wanted for questioning in relation to drug crimes in Panama, Interpol said on Wednesday.

Rincón, 48, has allegedly been involved in money-laundering and criminal conspiracy relating to drugs, Interpol added.

Colombian media reported that Rincón has business and property interests in Panama bought in partnership with the Colombian drug baron Pablo Rayo Montaño.

Rincón made his name with América de Cali before successful spells in Brazil, Italy and Spain. He represented Colombia at the 1994 World Cup and captained Corinthians to their first World Club Cup title in 2000.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Colombia.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
when footballers mams go feral

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32537420

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Executive Dick Law

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
So a Belgian defender (Gregory Mertens) died from complications after cardiac arrest and there isn't really any other good place to talk about it, unfortunately.

I think his death raises some valid concerns within football in particular, considering the volume of heart related deaths that have occurred either immediately prior to, during, or immediately following a game. Since 2000, there have been 51 sudden collapse/cardiac deaths of professionals or youth players. Granted, there's more reporting going on and there's more people playing the game (law of averages, or whatever), but 51 in 15 years is crazy. For comparison's sake, I did a pretty casual search for similar lists for marathon runners and cyclists. The statistics say that there is, at most, 2 deaths for every 100,000 marathon runners in a given race (which has a much higher volume/broader demographic of participants compared to professional football). Most of the heart related deaths in cycling happened after the athletes already retired from the sport.

Lokeren (Merten's club) mentioned that they have to do thorough cardiac exams on players in order to participate in the Europa League. I'd be pretty interested to see what sort of testing they have to do (because if it's just an EKG, that poo poo's weak as hell, even if it's 12-lead). I'd assume they'd be obligated to do an echo as well, but can smaller clubs afford to pay for that sort of testing on all their athletes? And I'd also be curious to see if there were any drug screenings (both performance and recreational) done on these people.

All in all, pretty hosed up.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the health facilities at a club (i.e. how rich they are). You hardly see these cases at top clubs. I don't think it innately has something to do with the way the sport is played, which is at least a good thing compared to brain-mushing American football.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the health facilities at a club (i.e. how rich they are). You hardly see these cases at top clubs. I don't think it innately has something to do with the way the sport is played, which is at least a good thing compared to brain-mushing American football.

It has something innately to do with the quality of blood doping management and monitoring. Undiagnosed heart defects in endurance sports is basically saying died of blood doping.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Byolante posted:

It has something innately to do with the quality of blood doping management and monitoring. Undiagnosed heart defects in endurance sports is basically saying died of blood doping.

was gonna say this

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HCM is a real thing too and is common even in athletes who don't dope. I think its the most common reason for non accidental death in atheletes, but those stats might be fudged by dopers getting passed off as people with hcm

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Lokeren (Merten's club) mentioned that they have to do thorough cardiac exams on players in order to participate in the Europa League. I'd be pretty interested to see what sort of testing they have to do (because if it's just an EKG, that poo poo's weak as hell, even if it's 12-lead). I'd assume they'd be obligated to do an echo as well, but can smaller clubs afford to pay for that sort of testing on all their athletes?
Looks like they have to, if they're in a UEFA competition:

quote:

As a principle, a standard 12-lead ECG and an echocardiography must be performed at the earliest opportunity during a player's career and in particular if indicated by clinical examination. If indicated from the medical history, or if a new clinical event occurs, it is recommended to perform the tests on a regular basis, including an exercise ECG and an echocardiography. All results must be included in the player's medical records.

Almunia got diagnosed with HCM at the start of this season when he took a medical at Cagliari, and directly after Muamba collapsed Arsenal put up an article where they say they do a cardiac screen (ECG and echo) on every full-time player in every pre-season; apparently the guidance from the FA is to screen every two seasons?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

pointsofdata posted:

HCM is a real thing too and is common even in athletes who don't dope. I think its the most common reason for non accidental death in atheletes, but those stats might be fudged by dopers getting passed off as people with hcm

Yeah except footballers aren't nearly fit enough for that to be the issue

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It's sad when players die from stuff like this. It's really unfortunate. Cardiac arrest is something that you shouldn't have to worry about at such a young age.

Also, I agree that cardiac testing should be done before any National/European competition. I'd even go as far as saying add mandatory random drug testing like in the World Cup after a match.

There was that one cool story about a player that had his defibrillator kick in on the pitch, I forgot who it was and what league but essentially his heart stopped on the pitch and it kicked in and he ended up being fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Have FIFA started testing blood for doping yet or is it still just urine?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Have FIFA started testing blood for doping yet or is it still just urine?

Just the random piss test. Utter joke of a testing system. All the players should have bio passports.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
I knew a kid from a rival highschool who had an enlarged heart and perhaps uncoincidentally he was an incredible loving athlete, then he died because of that enlarged heart after the doctors discovered it and told him to stop playing sports and he just couldn't do it. Very sad.

There's literally no way he was doping, and there's literally no way everyone on a professional team is not doping, so this is probably more to do with an undiagnosed condition manifesting, now watch this drive

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Drug testing doesn't work anyway and there is absolutely no chance any top player would ever get busted for anything. Sport is a scam, scrap the olympics, scrap FIFA, bring sport back to the stone age

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://screen.yahoo.com/weekend-drug-olympics-000000571.html

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

For all the poo poo cycling gets the biggest doping doctor of the 00's had to turn down work because he was so busy with football teams and a certain tennis player.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

For all the poo poo cycling gets the biggest doping doctor of the 00's had to turn down work because he was so busy with football teams and a certain tennis player.

Whats in the fridge Fuentes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Its cool how by far the cleanest sport is the one with the worst reputation because they put some actual effort into catching people. Its pretty depressing you have to just take it as standard that any top athlete is doping

I still can't believe how open a bunch of footballers have been about injections, a club president talking about blood bags with player names on and whats happening with Fuentes and its never really talked about in the media

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

Its cool how by far the cleanest sport is the one with the worst reputation because they put some actual effort into catching people. Its pretty depressing you have to just take it as standard that any top athlete is doping

I still can't believe how open a bunch of footballers have been about injections, a club president talking about blood bags with player names on and whats happening with Fuentes and its never really talked about in the media

A known and convicted match fixer is in charge of a club that has a long history of match fixing and nobody cares in Italy. What people are willing to ignore in the interests of sport is amazing.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
if everyone dopes about the same, it seems like a level playing field

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Anyone who believes that every single top level football team isn't running crazy amounts of PEDs is delusional, Guardiola himself tested positive for Deca for crying out loud

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TelekineticBear! posted:

Anyone who believes that every single top level football team isn't running crazy amounts of PEDs is delusional, Guardiola himself tested positive for Deca for crying out loud

Bale gained like 20 lbs of muscle the first offseason he spent with Real lol.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

TelekineticBear! posted:

I genuinely don't believe Arsenal do. I think they are the control group that proves all the other possession and pressing teams are drugged up to their eyeballs.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Blue Star Error posted:

I genuinely don't believe Arsenal do. I think they are the control group that proves all the other possession and pressing teams are drugged up to their eyeballs.

This is true. Wenger is very very serious about anti-doping. What the players do when they go to their international teams, who knows.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Wenger won't even let his players eat red meat, there's no way he's letting them take dope

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Wenger actually did blood tests and noted how newly bought players always seemed to have an increased red cell count. I believe he doesn't let his people dope, but what they do behind his back is anyone's guess.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

dex_sda posted:

Wenger actually did blood tests and noted how newly bought players always seemed to have an increased red cell count. I believe he doesn't let his people dope, but what they do behind his back is anyone's guess.

This was the year Fabregas came in from Barca too lol

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It explains why Ozil turned to poo poo too, Sanchez will be the same next season

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
But Ozil is good now :confused:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I guess this fits under mutiny, but Emmanuel Adebayor just wrote a screed on Facebook about his family bilking him out of millions. They seem like some real stand-up folks.

Some choice cuts:

quote:

A couple years ago, I bought a house in East Lagon (Ghana) for $1.2 million. I found it normal to let my older sister, Yabo Adebayor stay in that house. I also allowed my half brother (Daniel) to stay in the same house. A few months later, I was on vacation and decided to go to that house. At my surprise, I saw many cars in the driveway. In fact, my sister decided to rent out the house without me knowing. She also kicked Daniel out of that house. Note that the house had about 15 rooms. When I called her and asked for explanation, she took about 30 minutes to abuse and insult me over the phone. I called my mother to explain the situation and she did the same as my sister. This same sister says I am ungrateful. Ask her about the car she is driving or anything she is selling today?

quote:

When I was in Monaco I thought it would be good to have a family of footballers. So I made sure my brother Rotimi gets into a football academy in France. Within a few months; out of 27 players, he stole 21 phones.

quote:

I was in Ghana when I received the news about my brother Peter being seriously ill. I drove the fastest I could to Togo in order to meet him and help. When I arrived, my mother said I could not see him and I should just give the money and she would solve everything.

quote:

I organized a meeting in 2005 to solve our family issues. When I asked them about their opinion, they said I should build each family member a house and give each of them a monthly wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

When I was in Monaco I thought it would be good to have a family of footballers. So I made sure my brother Rotimi gets into a football academy in France. Within a few months; out of 27 players, he stole 21 phones.

You're just being consistent at this point