Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

noirstronaut posted:

do i have to buy gold to buy arcade games

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Anime Curator posted:

Go ahead and vomit then,

Lemming posted:

Boo hoo, boo hoo hoo hoo hoo. Boo hoo hoo boo hoo hoo hoo.

Have you ever done math? Here's some math kids

quote:

Playtonic was formed in 2014 by veterans of Rare Ltd. Between them, the seven-person Playtonic team has over 100 years of combined experience working on blockbuster franchises such as Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Piñata and Kameo: Elements of Power – and using this Kickstarter we intend to grow our talent even further! Allow us to introduce the team (so far)…
That gives the team an average of 14 years industry experience +- a few years here and there

Do you know what kind of salary you expect to pull after 14 yrs of experience as a programmer or artist?

It's not
175k euro = 195774.25 USD (today)
divided by 7 employees = 27967.75
divided by half because 40% of the overall budget is art and code and 10% is music wages = 13,983.88 for a ONE YEAR dev cycle

It's
1,75m euro = 1957742.50 USD
divded by 7 employees = 279677.50
divided by half because 40% of the overall budget is art and code and 10% is music wages = 139,838.75 for a ONE YEAR dev cycle

100-150k is absolutely standard salary for workers with 7+ years experience, with those job titles:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2014/09/05/GAMA14_ACG_SalarySurvey_F.pdf

Saying that they will finish this game while having families, homes, expenses and food to worry about with a salary of 14k for one year (with the project goal) or 80k for one year (which is currently their HIGHEST stretch goal of 100k (57% of 1.75m euro) ) is lying to your face.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's pounds not euro

Yeah I guess you're probably right. I'm not interested in this game at all, I just wanted to be annoying and point out the £/€ thing
vvvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 1, 2015

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It's pounds not euro

multiply it out by a factor of 2.36 then, they still need that 1 million dollar 'stretch goal' to have a single year's wages

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it's gonna crush the million stretch goal anyway so it's not like it really matters that much

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

it's gonna crush the million stretch goal anyway so it's not like it really matters that much

Maybe not to the likelihood of a completed project...but it does feel a little skeevy overall.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
why is it one instrument now instead of two

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I listened to the Grant Kirkhope track they posted and man, that guy still loves him some marimba and tuba.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'll support anything that David Wise works on. Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is fantastic.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I never owned Banjo-Kazooie as a kid and only played it at friends houses. I really really wish it would be brought to the Wii U vc but it's never going to happen. It's a lot better than the 2nd one correct?

Not really. Tooie was just more of the same -- a lot more. The areas were huge, which caused slowdown and made it easy to get lost. Otherwise it still holds up pretty well (I assume the XBLA port fixes the framerate issues) and it's nowhere near as tedious as DK64.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the Shovel Knight devs actually ran out of money while working on the game. 1 million in dollars or pounds is not gonna be enough to fund that. Careful not to get blinded by nostalgia.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tooie was way too big for the sake of being big, I'm sure I would've loved it in 2000 but I played it for the first time years later and quit around the carnival world because there was way too much running around in large featureless spaces in between stuff for no loving reason. There were also too many "context moves" which consisted of standing on a pad and pressing A to do something but only if you had learned that specific thing. If the levels had all the same stuff in half the landmass it would've gone over better, but as it was, it felt a dying gasp of a genre that had reached its natural conclusion.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 1, 2015

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
kickstarters are bad

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Maybe these people are willing to make less than the industry standard for their professional title and level of experience in order to follow through on a passion project they've wanted to make for over 10 years. Anyways, it's not like it really matters because they're going to break a million easily, probably by the end of today. Maybe they knew it was going to shatter the Kickstarter goal. This was a well put together campaign.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

zolthorg posted:

:words:

Saying that they will finish this game while having families, homes, expenses and food to worry about with a salary of 14k for one year (with the project goal) or 80k for one year (which is currently their HIGHEST stretch goal of 100k (57% of 1.75m euro) ) is lying to your face.

oh no only 80k a year to make a video game

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

kickstarters are bad

Nope. Not true.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

kickstarters are bad

Counterpoint: Shovel Knight is a Kickstarter game and it owns.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

only kickstarter game I ever contributed to was Mighty No 9 which is not only late and may not even launch for my 3DS but looks like the most plain-rear end poo poo with stupid trickledown postrelease crap. But that's just me, I'm sure my luck would have been better if I backed Shadowrun or Shovel Knight.

No matter what it's gonna be hard to top Doublefine's "ran out of monies" or god forbid Super Retro Squad which was a hilarious meltdown where the creator posted a long whiny post blaming everyone but himself for loving up (and using all the money to buy some dipshit house)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zolthorg posted:

That gives the team an average of 14 years industry experience +- a few years here and there

Do you know what kind of salary you expect to pull after 14 yrs of experience as a programmer or artist?

It's not
divided by half because 40% of the overall budget is art and code and 10% is music wages = 13,983.88 for a ONE YEAR dev cycle

It's
divided by half because 40% of the overall budget is art and code and 10% is music wages = 139,838.75 for a ONE YEAR dev cycle

100-150k is absolutely standard salary for workers with 7+ years experience, with those job titles:

Have you considered that maybe the Kickstarter isn't the only thing they've used to get money? I mean, aside from mentioning that they're taking a salary hit to make this, it's entirely possible they have some friends/rich benefactors/JK Rowling investing so that they can afford to eat and poo poo. They said that even if they fail they'll make the game, which means they probably have an idea of what it takes to make a game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Kickstarters usually fail but if they make you cry you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Banjo Kazooie was a good game, but no way am I going to throw money at that before the game is even made

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zolthorg posted:

It's not

It's

Durrr

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you but Banjo Kazooie on XBLA, please be aware, there is a glitch with Bottles Bonus Challenge(which you access by looking at his portrait in your home). You out together a puzzle of a scene from the game. In the scene banjo runs around collecting notes. In the original XBLA release there was a glitch where if he collected them they were gone forever and you could not get them. They patched it, but they didn't fix it completely and one of the levels can still make notes inaccessible. Either Grunty Bay or Click Clock Wood.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie, anyone remember the music of evil?

As for the Kickstarter? I'll pledge money, but only what I can afford to lose.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the Shovel Knight devs actually ran out of money while working on the game. 1 million in dollars or pounds is not gonna be enough to fund that. Careful not to get blinded by nostalgia.

You're right, we should give them even more money to make sure that doesn't happen!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that second track.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Seriously, I kinda can't stop listening to it over and over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

You guys aren't kidding. This reminds me so much of the first stage of world two of Tropical Freeze (I know it's made by the same guy).

Grant Kirkhope and David Wise :swoon: Only way it could be better is if Jake Kaufman was part of this.

I'm very much looking forward to this game :shobon:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

You guys aren't kidding. This reminds me so much of the first stage of world two of Tropical Freeze (I know it's made by the same guy).

Grant Kirkhope and David Wise :swoon: Only way it could be better is if Jake Kaufman was part of this.

I'm very much looking forward to this game :shobon:

Yeah, even if the game sucks we'll at least have an awesome soundtrack to enjoy.

I have no doubt they'll put out a worthy successor to the B-K games, but my question is: will that kind of game sell these days? It is guaranteed to get a bunch of buys from the nostalgia crowd (including me), but it remains to be seen if it will have mainstream appeal. I'm leaning toward No, but hopefully they'll surprise me.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Why not just buy the game if it comes out and is good?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

because then you can't pay them $500 for a n64 cart style usb drive

it's almost like you dont want to support the devs

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

because then you can't pay them $500 for a n64 cart style usb drive

it's almost like you dont want to support the devs

Now that's paper.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

That's the first Kickstarter I've backed.
Lets hope those guys still have that magic.

now make a new Conker...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

conker is trash make viva piñata

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

oddium posted:

conker is trash make viva piñata

That too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Make grabbed by da ghoulies.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Make RC Pro Am.

Also Viva Piñata, that poo poo was great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm having a problem in Paper Mario where the start button and the Z buttons don't do poo poo. I've tried remapping them to a bunch of different buttons but nothing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fly with me posted:

That's the first Kickstarter I've backed.
Lets hope those guys still have that magic.

now make a new Conker...

There's sort of a new conker coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I came here and the thread was already aware of the "yooka-laylee" kickstarter. It will be cool I don't care what you all say! It was 100% funded within an hour. The Internet is going to give it a lot of money.

I'll need to get the Wii U Version. It'll be at home next to Donkey Kong 64 :)

• Locked thread