Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

I mean I have close to 50 mixed bottles, in addition to the typical parade of wine and spirits in my possession. If anyone comes to NYC, I'll give you a bottle. But still want some ideas for the remainder.

You should continue to reduce them and make cognac demiglace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Real Name Grover posted:

I came into possession of a bunch of dry roasted unsalted almonds. I'm going to toss them in a bit of olive oil to get seasoning to stick — but what seasoning? Any suggestions beyond salt?

Not much for sweet — savory is preferable.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-almonds-recipe.html

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

California has lifted its ban on foie gras, and I'm going to go buy some this weekend.

Anyone wanna recommend a good dish?

Make this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What happened to those strawberries

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

They're probably "strawberries"

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bob Morales posted:

They got picked early.

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Green_Strawberries_8401.php

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They're probably "strawberries"

What are "strawberries"?

Also, green strawberries are delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

What are "strawberries"?

Also, green strawberries are delicious.

You know, when a fancy restaurant makes something that isn't actually the thing it looks like so they put scare quotes around it on the menu.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Puppy-blood gelée and cacao nib "strawberries"

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You know, when a fancy restaurant makes something that isn't actually the thing it looks like so they put scare quotes around it on the menu.

Like Heston's meat fruit thingy?

This however originates from another side of the fancy restaurant spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJkn5-IOlSw

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

They were pickled green strawberries and they were delicious.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Question -- I've got a pot of chili in the oven now and I'd like to simmer it for a few hours. I initially had the oven set to 250 degrees, but when I took a peek with the lid off after the oven was at temperature for a while, the chili wasn't visibly simmering. Should I bump up the temperature? Maybe remove the lid? I currently have it set to 290 degrees.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whenever I start thinking to myself "man I should really cook for myself more often", I tend to end up with a bunch of random-rear end ingredients in my fridge that I don't really know what to do with. I'll look up recipes online and see they require Ingredient X that I have to go off to the grocery store to get, if they have it, and I just go "nah" and do something else. And even if I do go get relatively rarely-used ingredients, they tend to just languish in the back of my fridge doing nothing until I finally just look at them and go "why did I spent 35 dollars on this moldy crap" and throw it out.

I feel like what I'm missing is some sort of generalized approach to cooking. I really don't take well to looking up recipes in a cookbook, it's more natural for me to be more free-flow, looking at what I have and being like "ok here's what I can make I guess" and not have to deal with the clunkiness of constantly checking a reference.

I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. Does anyone else prefer to cook this way? I don't even know if I can actually pull it off. I'm just sick of ending up with large grocery bills for stuff I never use.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

I feel like what I'm missing is some sort of generalized approach to cooking. I really don't take well to looking up recipes in a cookbook, it's more natural for me to be more free-flow, looking at what I have and being like "ok here's what I can make I guess" and not have to deal with the clunkiness of constantly checking a reference.

I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. Does anyone else prefer to cook this way? I don't even know if I can actually pull it off. I'm just sick of ending up with large grocery bills for stuff I never use.

Clearly it's not naturally how you are or else you'd free-flow/cook more. It sounds like you want easy, when it's actually kinda not. It's a skill like any other.

It reads like you don't cook that much and you need a lot more experience to do that well. The answer is to plan. Pick out a week's worth of similar recipes - one week, things with potatoes and ground beef and spinach or something, and buy around those.

Or buy one thing that can be broken down for other things - like a whole chicken. part it out and make something with chicken breast one day, then things with thighs and the other bits another day.

That aside, just make quiches and frittatas if you want loosy-goosy. You can ALWAYS substitute things for other things once you get used to the idea. Cooking gets easier once you do it often.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 2, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Whenever I start thinking to myself "man I should really cook for myself more often", I tend to end up with a bunch of random-rear end ingredients in my fridge that I don't really know what to do with. I'll look up recipes online and see they require Ingredient X that I have to go off to the grocery store to get, if they have it, and I just go "nah" and do something else. And even if I do go get relatively rarely-used ingredients, they tend to just languish in the back of my fridge doing nothing until I finally just look at them and go "why did I spent 35 dollars on this moldy crap" and throw it out.

I hardly ever use recipes except for baking and almost everything I make comes out great. Cooking is more about knowing what process will give you what result and knowing how flavors interact with each other. Good Eats is a good cooking show to watch to get a handle on process and what is actually going on when you cook stuff and you can reapply those processes to other similar ingredients.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

CzarChasm posted:

Is this really a thing? Green Sweet Potato? Or was this Green Sweet Pea, by chance and autocorrect run amok? I've seen Orange, Yellow and Blue/Purple sweets, but not green before.

Apparently, yes. I've never seen them at the grocery store but they are a thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Drifter posted:

Clearly it's not naturally how you are or else you'd free-flow/cook more. It sounds like you want easy, when it's actually kinda not. It's a skill like any other.

It reads like you don't cook that much and you need a lot more experience to do that well. The answer is to plan. Pick out a week's worth of similar recipes - one week, things with potatoes and ground beef and spinach or something, and buy around those.

Or buy one thing that can be broken down for other things - like a whole chicken. part it out and make something with chicken breast one day, then things with thighs and the other bits another day.

That aside, just make quiches and frittatas if you want loosy-goosy. You can ALWAYS substitute things for other things once you get used to the idea. Cooking gets easier once you do it often.

I used to cook free-flow, but it was always disappointing and I got frustrated. It is a skill like any other, but there has to be some sort of theory behind it, and I just need to figure it out...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I hardly ever use recipes except for baking and almost everything I make comes out great. Cooking is more about knowing what process will give you what result and knowing how flavors interact with each other. Good Eats is a good cooking show to watch to get a handle on process and what is actually going on when you cook stuff and you can reapply those processes to other similar ingredients.

It's odd, I'm fine in general - I can cook pasta and spoon tomato sauce over it, as well as cook ground beef and add tomato sauce with it to make a ragu. I can make sandwiches, I can make parmesan meatballs from scratch, I can make ma po tofu (...with House Foods packets but still). I've helped my parents in the kitchen and watched my mom make saffron rice shitloads of times. I even remember how to make a grilled steak with green onions on top. Yet simple poo poo like cooking a meat or vegetable in a sauce escapes me. :bang:

I think it's the sauce bit. Those are complicated fuckers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
In my opinion, you need to start with recipes, and graduate out of them. It sounds like if you were never satisfied with what you used to do it wasn't really cooking. Your examples are...rough, taken contextually together.

The best you can do WHILE you're doing recipe stuff is to watch something like Good Eats, Food Wishes or Fast Food My Way.

Good Eats is great because it has some type of classroom science embedded within it. It's a fantastic show. If the goal is to not waste food, you'll need to plan ahead. or just be too poor to waste food. If you're a visual learner, use youtube, if you can read, hit the books and read some Ruhlman.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 2, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That does sound sensible, yeah. I might as well bite the bullet and just try over and over again, I gotta get somewhere sometime.

Question: is it normal for a hell of a mess to be made when cooking? I don't have mixing bowls or anything, so I just use eating bowls for mixing stuff together. I tend to have one bowl per ingredient, e.g. one for sugar, one for soy sauce, one for sake. Even if it's just a few tablespoons altogether. Plus, it seems like I end up with waaaaaaay more dirty dishes than I should, for some reason.

I also have a bad habit of ending up with more than I can fit in a singular pan. :ohdear: I guess that just comes with experience, though?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Mise en place is for commercial kitchens or for food bloggers. Normal people (who do their own dishes) don't cook that way because, yup, it dirties every dish in your kitchen. Get a couple sizes of mixing bowls at the dollar store. Next time, pour the soy sauce in there, break out a Tbsp and measure your sugar and dump it in the same bowl, keep the Tbsp on the side of your sink until you need to measure the sake into it.

Sometimes you have to keep elements separate until a certain point (like wet/dry when baking), and in that case obviously do it, but you definitely do not need a separate adorable ramekin for each separate ingredient of every recipe.

v even in the stir-fry example, I would just shove each ingredient into its own heap in the corners of my cutting board. I really don't want to wash unnecessary dishes I guess! The only thing to be careful about with cutting boards, reusing bowls/etc., is obviously raw meats. For those it's definitely worth doing some extra dishes.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 2, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

That does sound sensible, yeah. I might as well bite the bullet and just try over and over again, I gotta get somewhere sometime.

Question: is it normal for a hell of a mess to be made when cooking? I don't have mixing bowls or anything, so I just use eating bowls for mixing stuff together. I tend to have one bowl per ingredient, e.g. one for sugar, one for soy sauce, one for sake. Even if it's just a few tablespoons altogether. Plus, it seems like I end up with waaaaaaay more dirty dishes than I should, for some reason.

I also have a bad habit of ending up with more than I can fit in a singular pan. :ohdear: I guess that just comes with experience, though?

I don't think you should be making a mess when you cook. I tend not to have a lot of clutter while I'm in the kitchen. If you're scrambling around frantically enough to make a big mess, you may be trying to multitask too aggressively. It may behoove you to prepare your choppy and mixxy foods or whatever prior to getting any heat going, and clean up/organize before moving on. As you get used to things you can start to have more and more going on at one time and still be able to clean as you go.

Mise en place is, I think, very important, but I don't think it needs to be one thing per dish or whatever unless what you're doing is extremely time and heat sensitive, like a stir-fry. Do what Anne says, with regards to adding ingredients together into one dish if possible. I don't have a big mixing bowl but I use a stainless steel pot for mixing things if I need something larger than a medium mixing bowl. If the ingredients aren't going into the dish at the same time then just save the measuring bits for when you need them later, and you can reuse a bowl that had vegetables or soy sauce in it for something else, instead of getting a new one.

I will bring out all (most) of my ingredients before I begin though. I'll have the veggies and bottled spices/sauces (like mustard or soy sauce) and an egg or meats off to a side et cetera - I really don't like to putter around for things.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 2, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

If you read the recipe through ahead of time, you can see which recipes you can dump together and therefore save clean bowls.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really like watching people eat food when I eat food myself. What do you recommend for me to watch? I'm not a fan of the "eat large amount of poo poo" genre, I just like watching people eat stuff that's delicious.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Tired Moritz posted:

I really like watching people eat food when I eat food myself. What do you recommend for me to watch? I'm not a fan of the "eat large amount of poo poo" genre, I just like watching people eat stuff that's delicious.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Chef's table, Mind of a Chef, the Vice Munchies stuff on Youtube, No Reservations and Parts Unknown with Anthony Bourdain.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Pollyanna, it sounds like you want shortcuts because you don't think cooking is "hard." It doesn't have to be, but you can't expect to be great at it right off. It takes experience, not just theory. Your examples of dishes you can make are, to put it delicately, not particularly impressive. You can make pasta and sandwiches, great.

In general I agree with the others that you should start with recipes. After you learn how ingredients work together, you can start substituting and eventually you'll be able to just make something with what's in the fridge. But that isn't an overnight process. I like to recommend this book (How To Cook Everything: The Basics) to new cooks. It has a lot of advice on how to do things, and lots of pictures.

Mise en place is very doable at home. For veg and whatnot I tend to just leave stuff on cutting boards til I'm ready for it; for other stuff like spices I have a few different sizes of prep bowls. Mine were a couple bucks at Crate & Barrel but you can probably find cheaper. If you need to keep large quantities then sure, use a mixing bowl.

Drifter is definitely right about your "unused ingredients" problem. For now, plan a menu for the week, and when you go to the store, get everything you need for it.

The problem you have with cooking from recipes where you need a bunch of stuff you don't have and have to go out to get it is probably because your kitchen is not properly stocked. There's a lot of stuff that should just be available in your kitchen, all the time. The book I recommended has a section at the beginning about the stuff that you should keep around, from cookware to spices. Some other cookbooks have similar sections, but Bittman is what I learned from.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

This won't get rid of checking a recipe every few minutes, but Mealime is really loving easy and produces pretty good results. I've been using it for over a year. It's not a free service but not super expensive either. They have a free trial and imo it's very much worth it if you really want to cook at home but find it daunting (that was me a while ago).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Buy a large and medium mixing bowl and a packet of plastic cutting mats. Measuring spoons and pyrex measuring cup too. Assemble ingredients you have ahead of time, make intelligent substitutions if you must. Have a spice cabinet, because even old dry spices are better then none at all.

Start a mental pantry as well, of home cooking recepies you know really well with a few basic ingredients. Stuff like rice and pasta toppings and sauces, casseroles, ect.

BUY THINGS ON SALE. PLAN YOUR RECEPIES AND MEALS ON WHAT IS SEASONAL. Right now, you can get stuff like yellow squash, raddishes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, ect, that is fresh and early for spring. In a month we as a nation will drown in tomatoes and summer berries (except california, they wont drown in anything this year x.x). Then, sweet corn.

BUY MEAT ON SALE AND FREEZE IT. It's so nice to go, "Hey, I want steak tonight. I'll just pop one of those NY Strips I got on killer sale for 4bux last month out."

FIND WHAT VEG STORES WELL. Because when you get that steak out of the freezer, you dont want it to get lonely! Then you can slice up an onion from the bag in the pantry and sautee that up, ooh, and grab one of the potatoes from there too, microwave it for a bit then finish it on the grill with the steak. Ooh, these late winter citrus are getting a touch old, better make fruit salad too.

Bam. You have a full steak dinner you could have bought months ago, all on sale, all delucious and minimally processed.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

If you don't mind subtitles, watch the Korean show Let's Eat.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbs89XXD-vM

Edit: lots of smacking and chewing and slurping

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbs89XXD-vM

Edit: lots of smacking and chewing and slurping

Jesus Christ. Everyone's got a fetish, I suppose.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's less fetish and more every Korean person I know eating like that. Just not with a mic right in their face.

Edit: This is fetish.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 2, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

It's less fetish and more every Korean person I know eating like that. Just not with a mic right in their face.

The inclusion of a mic and camera makes a fetish, Cas. The people who watch that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:shrug: Everything is a fetish then.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm gonna barf. And cum.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Drifter posted:

Jesus Christ. Everyone's got a fetish, I suppose.

fantasyfeeder dot com

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drifter posted:

The inclusion of a mic and camera makes a fetish, Cas. The people who watch that.

It's like a less intimate version of vore! :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm making this recipe tomorrow. I have a few questions.

It says to brown the meat, garlic, and onions in a dutch oven. We don't have one, we were planning on putting everything together in the crock-pot for the stewing part. Can we use a frying pan for the browning/caramelizing/deglazing steps?

I've seen the Gordon Ramsay onion-chopping video, is there anything else we can do to avoid the burning eyes?

Do any companies sell cheap-ish wine in 16-ounce bottles? We don't like dry reds, so a 24-ounce bottle would end up with a cup sitting around until it went sour and we poured it out.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm making this recipe tomorrow. I have a few questions.

It says to brown the meat, garlic, and onions in a dutch oven. We don't have one, we were planning on putting everything together in the crock-pot for the stewing part. Can we use a frying pan for the browning/caramelizing/deglazing steps?

I've seen the Gordon Ramsay onion-chopping video, is there anything else we can do to avoid the burning eyes?

Do any companies sell cheap-ish wine in 16-ounce bottles? We don't like dry reds, so a 24-ounce bottle would end up with a cup sitting around until it went sour and we poured it out.

Browning the ingredients in a pan first will work just fine. You can freeze leftover wine for cooking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sharpen your knife. Point a fan to blow away from your face, get up under a vent, chop them under cold, running water. I'd just deal with it, myself, but I don't really get too many tears to begin with.

And you can absolutely brown in another pan. The dutch oven just lets you do it all in one pan. Not a big deal.

Deke is on the money, too. Freeze it ice cube trays and that wine's perfect for cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Favorite chocolate ice cream recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

Browning the ingredients in a pan first will work just fine. You can freeze leftover wine for cooking.

I had never thought of that. I think. ill go out and get a spare tray.