Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Laserface posted:

Planning to install an 850 evo 512GB in my iMac tonight - anything I should know besides the difficult install procedure and to install the fan control thing?

You might want to look into enabling TRIM. It's kind of annoying now with Yosemite. But seems like it's worth it for these drives. See here.

Also - if you don't mind doing me a little favor:

Once you're up and running, run a SMART tool like DriveDx and LMK if you have a non-zero value for 199 - UDMA CRC Error Count.

I'm going a little crazy here with my 840 Evo in my MBP. That # keeps increasing, slowly but surely. It turns out I had bad RAM - which explains the weird behavior I was seeing (OS updates failing checksum, etc) that led me to notice this. But now I have all-new RAM, passed AHT, and the # is still going up! Running full memtest86 now just in case my new RAM is bad or I have some RAM controller issue.

Just curious if you see 0 on yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Since the CPU is removable in the latest iMacs, whats the fastest CPU people have reported working in one?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

Since the CPU is removable in the latest iMacs, whats the fastest CPU people have reported working in one?

I'll jump on that question and add the new Mac Pro. I'm just curious if anyone's actually done it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'll jump on that question and add the new Mac Pro. I'm just curious if anyone's actually done it.

It's been done, but I think the 12 core BTO option is the best possible processor on socket 2011. Though you'd save like $500 if you bought your own processor vs. having Apple BTO it, at the risk of loving something up during install.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is the new MP 12 core option still faster than the last gen MP with the highest supported user upgraded CPU? I think the last gen MP 5.1s could run 2x6 core CPUs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Laserface posted:

Planning to install an 850 evo 512GB in my iMac tonight - anything I should know besides the difficult install procedure and to install the fan control thing?

Perhaps it's too late, but try to make sure you pick up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UN550AC/

You really don't want the SSD to be swinging inside the case footloose and fancy free...

If not the bracket, then some other way of securing the drive.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Duct tape works just fine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Done. I'm pissed off I didn't do this sooner. It was so loving easy. The hardest parts were getting the glass off, keeping it and the display clean, and fighting the magnets. Everything else was easy as poo poo.

Here's how I dealt with the lack of correct bracket:

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Laserface posted:

Done. I'm pissed off I didn't do this sooner. It was so loving easy. The hardest parts were getting the glass off, keeping it and the display clean, and fighting the magnets. Everything else was easy as poo poo.

Here's how I dealt with the lack of correct bracket:

Nice.

SSD seriously revives old machines like no other.

All the CPUs in the last, like, 5 or 6 years are perfectly fast for a huge range of applications and uses. But booting from mechanical HDDs makes UI/UX so slow.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

admiraldennis posted:

LMK if you have a non-zero value for 199 - UDMA CRC Error Count.

I'm going a little crazy here with my 840 Evo in my MBP. That # keeps increasing, slowly but surely. It turns out I had bad RAM - which explains the weird behavior I was seeing (OS updates failing checksum, etc) that led me to notice this. But now I have all-new RAM, passed AHT, and the # is still going up! Running full memtest86 now just in case my new RAM is bad or I have some RAM controller issue.

UDMA CRC is a checksum on data flowing over the SATA cable. Because the CRC check is done in the SATA host controller, before anything has been written to RAM, it's not likely to be triggered by bad RAM. You probably had two problems, now you have one.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

admiraldennis posted:

Nice.

SSD seriously revives old machines like no other.

All the CPUs in the last, like, 5 or 6 years are perfectly fast for a huge range of applications and uses. But booting from mechanical HDDs makes UI/UX so slow.

Even further back than that. I have an old Dell Latitude D630 that I put a little 32GB SSD and installed Ubuntu, and it now runs like a champ. Core 2 Duo, the greatest generation.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh yeah, definitely did. my boot time went from 5ish minutes (a lot of stuff runs on startup for me) to near on 30 seconds ready to rock. windows open too quick for me to close them now.

No disk noise is great too.

I did hit a snag - internet recovery wanted to re-install Lion, not Yosemite. I planned on doing a clean install, grabbing all my poo poo out of time machine and reinstalling just the bare essentials. Oh well, I will just restore from time machine.

my time machine backup was too large for the disk due to 35GB of my 499GB going to the internet recovery.

So I went to do the Lion recovery, figuring Lion>yosemite is as clean as it was gonna get. that was gonna take 4 hours.

So I said gently caress it and pulled it apart again, put the old drive back in, wiped a 320GB FCPx file off the disk, did another Time machine backup and downloaded Yosemite installer. Stuck that on a USB drive, Shut down, re-installed the SSD, booted from USB (a few times, it failed a few times to the "no" symbol) and then eventually it booted to Yosemite install, and I restored from my TM backup.

Once back up and running I went into time machine and grabbed the FCPx file and stuck it on a USB drive.

All in all it took a long time but I did it a really long way. None of it was really bad besides the Yosemite from USB not starting, and it then running from the Time Machine disk instead (which was just confusing.)

Now I want an SSD on thunderbolt for my time machine backups.

The biggest annoyance in all of this is that Apple invested way too much on Thunderbolt the moment it was ready. Its pretty apparent its not a consumer targeted interface given the pricing and USB3.0 was probably a much better solution to bring in (and in many cases it appears faster for consumer applications at least)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't get why Internet Recovery doesn't provide options to download either the OS version your Mac shipped with or the latest version.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I don't get why Internet Recovery doesn't provide options to download either the OS version your Mac shipped with or the latest version.

Mine shipped with Snow Leopard so it makes even less sense that I got Lion.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Laserface posted:

Mine shipped with Snow Leopard so it makes even less sense that I got Lion.

Snow leopard didn't have internet recovery, it was applied to your machine via firmware update when you installed lion.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Fusion driving a MBP from the long long ago. Drives were free and nothing else to do with them right now.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have a late 2013 retina macbook pro and am just about to pull the trigger on a 4k monitor.

Just been reading that this machine apparently can't drive 4k at 60Hz.

Is this still the case? Also is running a desktop at 30hz at 4k really that bad?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

BobHoward posted:

UDMA CRC is a checksum on data flowing over the SATA cable. Because the CRC check is done in the SATA host controller, before anything has been written to RAM, it's not likely to be triggered by bad RAM. You probably had two problems, now you have one.

Makes sense - thanks! Replacement SATA cable ordered... fingers crossed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Found this segment from 2012 really entertaining concerning Apple for enterprise and HFS/ZFS:

http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/56

One of the interesting take aways I found is that Apple doesn't use its own hardware or software(entirely) for its enterprise needs. So with that in mind, why should anyone else try to use Apple hardware and software for their own enterprise needs. I'm sure thats obvious for a lot of people but it wasn't so clear for me until I came across this. Not that I was trying to start a small business with all Apple hardware.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

didn't the ZFS guy at Apple quit and go start his own company?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Is that even true anymore? What does the GPU get used for? HW decode? That's only really relevant for mpeg4/h264 content right? Would do jack all for ProRes or DNxHD.

Unless you actually mean motion graphics design work.
Quite true. Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro CC 2014 renders & encodes with GPU / OpenCL. If I didn't have the dual D700s in the Mac Pro I couldn't get home at a reasonable time. The 5K iMac is probably cool for designer/photographer/ non-production GPU; if you're doing heavy editing work and producing 60+ rendered spots in a day in a handful of formats, you'll be pleased you have a current Mac Pro. Octane 3 realtime 3D renderer supports OpenCL as well, start using CineWare nested compositions in After Effects & dynamic linking that stuff to Premiere Pro and you'll never _not_ hit the GPU. Turbulence FD supports OpenCL. It's a happy time to have a multi-GPU Mac.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kuskus posted:

Quite true. Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro CC 2014 renders & encodes with GPU / OpenCL. If I didn't have the dual D700s in the Mac Pro I couldn't get home at a reasonable time. The 5K iMac is probably cool for designer/photographer/ non-production GPU; if you're doing heavy editing work and producing 60+ rendered spots in a day in a handful of formats, you'll be pleased you have a current Mac Pro. Octane 3 realtime 3D renderer supports OpenCL as well, start using CineWare nested compositions in After Effects & dynamic linking that stuff to Premiere Pro and you'll never _not_ hit the GPU. Turbulence FD supports OpenCL. It's a happy time to have a multi-GPU Mac.

I thought Mercury was only really for mpeg4/h264 source material and it doesn't really help for DNxHD and ProRes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nope, it renders realtime effects in the timeline too. AME also uses the GPU.

FCPX also uses the GPU in pretty much the same way, though I think Compressor is still CPU only.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

1st AD posted:

I think Compressor is still CPU only.

Compressor will use Intel's h264 CPU extensions when exporting non-segmented files on certain models, mainly the iMacs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

You might want to look into enabling TRIM. It's kind of annoying now with Yosemite. But seems like it's worth it for these drives. See here.

Also - if you don't mind doing me a little favor:

Once you're up and running, run a SMART tool like DriveDx and LMK if you have a non-zero value for 199 - UDMA CRC Error Count.

I see 100. I will check it again tonight but it didnt really move from 100 over the course of an hour with lots of file deletions and writes going on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I really didn't know how crappy HFS+ was until I started the digging. It's like crap all the way down.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

JFairfax posted:

I have a late 2013 retina macbook pro and am just about to pull the trigger on a 4k monitor.

Is this still the case? Also is running a desktop at 30hz at 4k really that bad?

Not sure about driving 4k60hz, but I can confirm that 4k30hz is horrendous.

Seriously, it makes some people sick.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Shaocaholica posted:

I really didn't know how crappy HFS+ was until I started the digging. It's like crap all the way down.

I just assumed file systems were a fully evolved field. I mean it's sort of crucial to computing.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I have an external HD with multiple partitions, and one of them is failing to mount. I can't repair it with Disk Utility, and from the terminal:
code:
diskutil verifyVolume /dev/disk2s2
gives
code:
Verifying file system
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume
Checking extents overflow file
Checking catalog file
Checking multi-linked files
Checking catalog hierarchy
Checking extended attributes file
The volume STORAGE could not be verified completely
File system check exit code is 8
Error: -69845: File system verify or repair failed
Underlying error: 8: POSIX reports: Exec format error
Do I have any options here? It's a 1TB partition, and I don't currently have any way to dd it over into something else. I couldn't figure out what kind of arguments fsck wanted. I found something on github called 'Disk Arbitrator' and that failed to mount as well.

Also I have a couple other partitions on this disk with things I'd be very upset about if I lost; they're mounting ok for now but how panicked should I be?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

JFairfax posted:

I thought this was a limitation only under hdmi. I may be wrong.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

App13 posted:

Not sure about driving 4k60hz, but I can confirm that 4k30hz is horrendous.

Seriously, it makes some people sick.

I have used setups with a worse refresh than that using a horrific xp based thin client / server set up so I think I could cope, but it would be nice to hear if anyone has first hand experience of it.

Boiled Water posted:

I thought this was a limitation only under hdmi. I may be wrong.

Nah, apparently it's to do with the processing capabilities of the actual machine, the clock speed of the graphics processor is not enough to throughput all those pixels at 60hz - although I have heard it's possible using windows via bootcamp...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Vaporware posted:

I just assumed file systems were a fully evolved field. I mean it's sort of crucial to computing.

Well I think they're pretty evolved. The problem is the adoption of those evolved file systems. Its not like there aren't people working on them.

RudeBoy
Dec 7, 2001

I hope this is the right place to ask - i'm looking for a wireless remote/presentation device to use during Keynote presentations. I have a new MBP and was bummed to learn the official Apple remotes don't work with them.

Don't really have a price range, just want one that works well. Any good ones out there?

Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Do you have an iPhone or iPad?

The keynote app for iOS can control a keynote presentation on OS X.

RudeBoy
Dec 7, 2001

flosofl posted:

Do you have an iPhone or iPad?

The keynote app for iOS can control a keynote presentation on OS X.

Yeah i've tried that and it just doesn't feel good - I like to be able to press a button.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RudeBoy posted:

Yeah i've tried that and it just doesn't feel good - I like to be able to press a button.

Most 3rd party gear should work fine with OSX. Maybe go with a well-reviewed Logitech dealie?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

BobHoward posted:

So I overnighted a replacement SATA cable from iFixIt (bless them).

Installed it - and - my CRC Error Count is STILL going up on this drive!! :( :(

It might just be statistics, but it seems like the count is going up even faster than before (+20-30 in the last 30min).

:sigh:

I guess I could try to exchange the drive at MicroCenter... though the count did not go up when in my desktop. Major bummer if the SATA controller is failing. I guess I could try an optibay?

I really want to use this computer for some performances, the first of which is a week from tomorrow. But it needs to be reliable...

edit: hmm, I wonder if the connector for the optical drive is the same, i.e. maybe I can try to use the other SATA port before buying an optibay to confirm it works
edit2: drat, cable is different. sata part is the same but not power :(

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 2, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

So I overnighted a replacement SATA cable from iFixIt (bless them).

Installed it - and - my CRC Error Count is STILL going up on this drive!! :( :(

It might just be statistics, but it seems like the count is going up even faster than before (+20-30 in the last 30min).

:sigh:

I guess I could try to exchange the drive at MicroCenter... though the count did not go up when in my desktop. Major bummer if the SATA controller is failing. I guess I could try an optibay?

I really want to use this computer for some performances, the first of which is a week from tomorrow. But it needs to be reliable...

edit: hmm, I wonder if the connector for the optical drive is the same, i.e. maybe I can try to use the other SATA port before buying an optibay to confirm it works
edit2: drat, cable is different. sata part is the same but not power :(

FWIW mines still stopped at 100

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Laserface posted:

FWIW mines still stopped at 100

Is the raw value 0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
So following my iFixit RAM upgrade and battery replacement I did on my 2011 Macbook Pro a few months back, after a good four years the MagSafe power chord gave out.

Despite all my sticky taping skills, the wires became so frayed that when I could get it to charge it would start smoking. As a rule of thumb it's generally a good idea to replace electronics when they start catching fire. :v: So I utilised some birthday gift vouchers and purchased a new one.