Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Someone remind me why Max is wearing his father's shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

khy posted:

It seems a lot more likely to me that Max's dad is wearing Max's shirt.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'd wear that shirt.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

Max's dad is actually Max from the future.

Or maybe it's the other way around and the town Max moved from was the year 1995. It's hard to say for certain.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Look, can't a father and his son both appreciate the band Insolent Children?

(I still want that shirt)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Countblanc posted:

It seems a lot more likely to me that Max's dad is wearing Max's shirt.

The most likely outcome to my mind is that Max's dad bought an identical shirt purely to make Max feel bad and embarassed (see: chicken suit incident)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

shelper posted:

Does Zack have a tip jar where i can throw a coupla bucks his way?
I can't stop giggling at a vice principal disguising her nose as a kid so as to sneak into a hitball game, so i thought It'd only be polite.

The closest thing I can find is the tiny store.

The print is cute; I hadn't seen it before.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

theshim posted:

Look, can't a father and his son both appreciate the band Insolent Children?

(I still want that shirt)

IIRC from one of the old-rear end streams, Max and his dad both love IC and bond over it, (all their songs are about hating your parents)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If Zach adds more cool T-Shirts to the store I might buy a bunch of them, even if paying the shipping is going to eat my wallet. A Clothing t-shirt is neat, but I want an Insolent Children and a Violence to go with it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can't complain about the story's focus, but I do wish the author did more with the dad/sister. In the aftermath of the overnight frog spirit attack:
http://paranatural.net/index.php?id=105

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Scaramouche posted:

I can't complain about the story's focus, but I do wish the author did more with the dad/sister. In the aftermath of the overnight frog spirit attack:

The solution is more Supernormal

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Scaramouche posted:

I just realised: The cultists from theory number six are the same cultists shown here: http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=305

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Cubone posted:

The solution is more Supernormal

Oh my god these own

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Luneshot posted:

Oh my god these own

Own is simply too weak a word to describe how incredible these are.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

readingatwork posted:

Max's dad is actually Max from the future.

Or maybe it's the other way around and the town Max moved from was the year 1995. It's hard to say for certain.

Unlimited Snark Works.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Huh, I always thought Cody looked familiar and realized he kinda resembles Danny Phantom.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
He also has the most generic design imaginable.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was gonna say, pale skinny black-haired kid is up there with bedsheet ghost in terms of simplistic visual design :ghost:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I thought he was a girl for several chapters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Splicer posted:

I thought he was a girl for several chapters.

Man, now why does that sound uncomfortably famili-

-oh.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think Max probably has the most basic design of any character in the comic (short of doodle-people like those weird bald twins). He kind of looks like an artistic prototype for Paranatural's style, like Zach drew him first then drew everyone else by adding variations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cryophage posted:

I just realised: The cultists from theory number six are the same cultists shown here: http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=305

One of you tweeter big shots should get him to make a Supernormal elucidating theories 1-5.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

khy posted:

Own is simply too weak a word to describe how incredible these are.

My favourites:

I had forgotten about Supernormal :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Update!

Isabel seems to have a hunch that Max asked about ghosts because of his predicted dead mom, it's fairly responsible of her to go back to the issue to avoid getting his hopes up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And a link!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"because i'm a weird psychic, and my dad loves me" is a good callback.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Totally saving the rough version (which I didn't realize was rough until I read the blurb) so that I can compare it to the final. :3:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's been too long since Suzy got to do her thing.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's been too long since Suzy got to do her thing.

Never enough Suzy. Always more Suzy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Final page is up. It's interesting to compare the two:

Am I a bad person if I like elements of the first page more? I particularly like Max in the first panel. The fact that only his pants are shaded makes them look like they're made of a shinny fabric or something. It's an interesting but subtle effect. *Files away in mental toolbox*

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

readingatwork posted:

Final page is up. It's interesting to compare the two:

Am I a bad person if I like elements of the first page more? I particularly like Max in the first panel. The fact that only his pants are shaded makes them look like they're made of a shinny fabric or something. It's an interesting but subtle effect. *Files away in mental toolbox*

I kind of agree. I like how he's evolving the art, but the recent stuff is 'too finished' if that makes sense?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I greatly prefer the shaded effect myself, but to each their own.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The shading is definitely better, but there is a ~style~ to those flats that an artist could lean into if that was the direction they wanted to go.

In either style Suzy is still the best though, that's an immutable constant

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I do notice he's falling into the age old habit of "gently caress no I don't wanna do the background, gradient it!"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I do notice he's falling into the age old habit of "gently caress no I don't wanna do the background, gradient it!"

Aw poo poo now I can't unnotice it

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, I realized that looking at the comparison and while I can't blame him when it comes to getting pages out twice a week, it is hard to unnotice.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

eh, if characters aren't having any interaction with their environment, nothing is lost with gradients. The only problem is when an artist becomes accustomed enough to drawing gradients where they don't bother to flesh out the setting characters find themselves in; Zack reliably gives us backgrounds when it counts.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The background here would also a ton of different characters in a big indistinct blob, kind of like the first two panels. Would be nice and you could fit some crazy faces/gags in there but I could also see how that would be both distracting from the main focus and time consuming and full of effort to draw.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hooray! It's Suzy! She's still insane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I don't mind the gradients. He makes good use of them by having the background coloring fit the mood of each panel.