Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Can you use USB OTG with the Fire TV? I probably won't use the Fire TV or the NP remote...

You can plug in a FLIRC to the Fire TV. There's also a phone app.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not aware of any menu issues, I click buttons and stuff happens instantly. And yeah they added USB support in the last patch a couple weeks ago, haven't tried it out yet.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 1, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I also should have clarified that by "performance" I mostly meant the performance of the interface. My Acer Revo HTPC's performance in menus and whatnot is significantly worse than my Core 2 Duo HTPC.

Nowadays, just about anything can play the 1080p mkvs people obtain from places.

I went with the FireTV over the NP because I really wanted an ethernet port. The FireTV runs Kodi pretty much flawlessly even with big skins. The only time I see a bit of interface lag is during library updates and that's because I have a huge library. If you have a Harmony you can get it working pretty quickly through some customization or just by using a Flirc. I love my FireTV, its given me all of the streaming apps, Kodi, Plex and even a bunch of emulators in the same common device. For $100 its a bargain.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
is there a good guide for what I should do to index all my stuff? I've installed kodi for the first time in years, in the old days I used to just browse to my SMB share and navigate directories but I gather there is a better way now?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Gunslinger posted:

I went with the FireTV over the NP because I really wanted an ethernet port. The FireTV runs Kodi pretty much flawlessly even with big skins. The only time I see a bit of interface lag is during library updates and that's because I have a huge library. If you have a Harmony you can get it working pretty quickly through some customization or just by using a Flirc. I love my FireTV, its given me all of the streaming apps, Kodi, Plex and even a bunch of emulators in the same common device. For $100 its a bargain.

Well, that sounds good.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Looks like they finally fixed the lack of USB storage too yeah? Can you run an emulator on the fire TV and pull files from USB now or does it still need to all be on the internal memory? Can you do a network share? I really want to replace my AMD e-350 for no reason I guess. :sigh:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
For some reason I can't figure out, Kodi on my fire tv stick can't see my smb shares no matter what I do. Is there another way to mirror my library to it? I know I can view my library over upnp but it doesn't seem to mark the files as played.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

For some reason I can't figure out, Kodi on my fire tv stick can't see my smb shares no matter what I do. Is there another way to mirror my library to it? I know I can view my library over upnp but it doesn't seem to mark the files as played.

When you go into the properties of your folder, go to the security tablet and make sure "Everyone" is listed under the "Groups or user names" part.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, thanks for making me pick up a Fire TV. I already had a HTPC set up running Windows 8, but having different apps for everything and missing out on 5.1 for Amazon content was a pain. Plus I see you can install Moonlight (used to be Limelight) if you root to stream games if you have an NVIDIA graphics card.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Plus I see you can install Moonlight (used to be Limelight) if you root to stream games if you have an NVIDIA graphics card.

Here's the Amazon Link to Moonlight for FireTV users

Thanks! Now I have an excuse to upgrade my video card, finally! The GTX 460 was one of the last Nvidia models to not support video game streaming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Here's the Amazon Link to Moonlight for FireTV users

Thanks! Now I have an excuse to upgrade my video card, finally! The GTX 460 was one of the last Nvidia models to not support video game streaming.

Nice, thanks for posting it. I looked briefly for it on Amazon and must have overlooked it. Guess you don't really have to root but it seems like having Google Play would be useful.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just posting to say the NP works flawlessly and is easily as snappy as my i3 NUC HTPC.

This is with 15.0 Beta 1.

Also love talking to the remote to search youtube etc. Wireless streaming over Wireless N works fine for everything except these big uncompressed THX intros. It's not choking on bitrate, it just needs more than the 3MB/second bandwidth it's getting.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 2, 2015

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
The Fire TV is actually pretty terrible at Limelight/Moonlight. The Nexus Player and even OUYA are much, much better at it, and can actually do it at 1080p. It works okay for some things, but anything that requires twitchy responses will be a mess simply because you're not going to get anything less than 40ms (more typically 50-55) input latency in most cases. Most things are playable, but it might not necessarily be an enjoyable experience.I attempted to play GTAV through Moonlight recently and gave up after a few hours because the latency made me drive like a drunkard. I couldn't not hit every car on the road.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2505510 posted:

Anecdotal Hardware Decoder Latency Numbers
These are some latency numbers (from memory) I've seen on my test devices as of Moonlight Android 3.1.5. I'll try to keep updating this as I test.

Tier 1 devices:
Tegra 4 - Nvidia Shield - 5 ms - 1080p60 supported
Intel Atom/Bay Trail/Moorefield - Nexus Player - 8 ms - 1080p60 supported
Tegra K1 - Nexus 9 - 15 ms - 1080p60 supported
Tegra 3 - OUYA and Nexus 7 (2012) - 17 ms - 1080p60 supported
Broadcom VideoCore IV - Fire TV Stick - 20 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported

Tier 2 devices:
Snapdragon 801 - HTC One M8 GPE - 40 ms - 1080p60 supported
Snapdragon 800 - Nexus 5 - 40 ms - 1080p60 supported

Tier 3 devices:
Snapdragon 600 - Fire TV - 50 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported
Snapdragon S4 Pro (rebranded 600) - Nexus 7 (2013) - 50 ms 720p60/1080p30 supported

I can say that I really do love my rooted Fire TV, but this is the exact reason that I'll be dumping it for the Shield box when it comes out. Even the FTV stick is better at Moonlight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh wow, that is a big jump. Is that 50ms round trip or one way? I might have to look at the Nexus Player now, my primary use case for Moonlight was console casual games like GTA V like you described.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I believe it's one way, and even though I just called it input lag it's actually video lag. I have my TV about eight feet away from my computer so I have directly compared it by monitor jumping and it's just bad. It just makes every game that you play feel like it has really lovely play control.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
If you're buying something with streaming in mind wait a week or two to see if the razor box is worth while. It starts shipping next week according to amazon. Same price as the firetv and it does streaming from AMD cards as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh, a product from Razer I would actually consider buying, now that's an interesting thought. From Jadius' chart, the Snapdragon 80X series seem to only support ~40ms latency, whereas the Intel/Tegra equipped boxes can handle sub-10ms... Presumably Razer will get it under 20ms but it's hard to argue with a $68 streaming google nexus player which is already benchmarked at 8ms.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, thanks for making me pick up a Fire TV. I already had a HTPC set up running Windows 8, but having different apps for everything and missing out on 5.1 for Amazon content was a pain. Plus I see you can install Moonlight (used to be Limelight) if you root to stream games if you have an NVIDIA graphics card.

You don't need root for Moonlight

Hadlock posted:

Oh wow, that is a big jump. Is that 50ms round trip or one way? I might have to look at the Nexus Player now, my primary use case for Moonlight was console casual games like GTA V like you described.

That is decoder latency. It doesn't include the network latency. Currently, the best solution you could get for Moonlight is something like a Nexus Player hooked up to a USB OTG adaptor to a USB Ethernet adapter.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Hadlock posted:

Huh, a product from Razer I would actually consider buying, now that's an interesting thought. From Jadius' chart, the Snapdragon 80X series seem to only support ~40ms latency, whereas the Intel/Tegra equipped boxes can handle sub-10ms... Presumably Razer will get it under 20ms but it's hard to argue with a $68 streaming google nexus player which is already benchmarked at 8ms.

Razer put a lot of emphasis on the Forge being capable of very low latency PC streaming irregardless of graphics card manufacturer through their streaming software. Who knows if that will turn out to be true or not.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So is the fact that Crunchyroll Takeout doesn't work on Android (and, more annoying, on Fire TV, the one platform it doesn't seem to have an app for) just a "Thing" I have to deal with?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Can you somehow get Kidi to stream a URL like you would in windows media center? I want to use http://lpm.streamguys.tv/lpm3web but a pls or m3u file does not seem to be working.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Bonzo posted:

Can you somehow get Kidi to stream a URL like you would in windows media center? I want to use http://lpm.streamguys.tv/lpm3web but a pls or m3u file does not seem to be working.

The Pushbullet addon works pretty good for this in my experience.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Official Android Remote

With the last community update in January, we mentioned a desire for someone to step up and help maintain an official Kodi Remote for Android. Developer syncd has stepped forward and offered up Kore as an updated, open source option for users looking for Android remote control software, or even as a base for aspiring devs looking to make their own offering.

We are well aware that there are other closed source Android remotes out there. The goal of the Kore remote project is not to drive out or replace other devs and remotes, but rather to welcome new ones in by providing an open source base to work with.

Google Summer of Code

This year was an incredibly difficult one for deciding which projects to choose. We had enough mentors for 6 projects, but were only provided with 4 slots. Many years, this works fine, and it’s easy to narrow everything down. This year, there were so many great submissions that we ultimately took until the very last day to decide on the final four. There was even a period where we considered asking users to crowdsource fund the other two projects, but we ultimately deemed it too uncertain as to whether such an idea would get funded or would even be acceptable to the students’ schools. We decided not to get anyone’s hopes up only to have them dashed, and instead focus on the four projects we thought had the best combination of exciting/useful idea and feasibility.

Cross-platform room correction for Kodi
NVIDIA Gamestream
Better Profile Handling
On-The-Fly Transcoding

DVR Kickstarter

We don’t often mention Kickstarters in our blog, but since at least one team member is helping with the project, we figured we’d point out Silicon Dust’s DVR. While the company has already met their goal, their first stretch goal is to make a DVR add-on for Kodi that essentially extends the already fairly brilliant HDHomeRun add-on we featured last month. As many of us would like to use this software, we’re definitely hoping they hit their goal, and as off this writing, they’re only about 5k away.

UPnP Library Integration

Yet another of the major requests we get on a regular basis is for a single library across all your devices without the need to use add-on workarounds or hacks or the AdvancedSettings.xml to make it happen. Team Member Montellese has been working on this task and is now ready for testers to start poking holes in his project: Media Importing and Library Integration of UPnP. A quick overview video can be found below, but simply put, with Montellese’s test build you only need to scan your folders on your network once. Every other instance of Kodi can just scan and grab the library from whatever your main device is. Now any UPnP device on your network can act as a library source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=aga6XuLFuJ4

http://kodi.tv/kodi-community-may-2015/

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Nvidia Gamestream means controlling video games on one computer from another right? The same thing that Limelight taps into? I hope I'm reading that right; in theory if that project is successful you could buy a Raspberry Pi and use a Limelight style add-on directly from OpenElec?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I set up a nexus player running kodi/plexbmc for my father so he can use my library. Is there a way to make the movie selection show up in the normal movie and tv shows section off the main menu instead of going into the plexbmc addon to view them ? Currently using amber skin but I can switch it up if another one supports this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

jonathan posted:

I set up a nexus player running kodi/plexbmc for my father so he can use my library. Is there a way to make the movie selection show up in the normal movie and tv shows section off the main menu instead of going into the plexbmc addon to view them ? Currently using amber skin but I can switch it up if another one supports this.

Couldn't you just link PleXBMC on the front page and hide the Movies/TV Shows section? That's what I do for my upnp share.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

jonathan posted:

UPnP library integration is coming soon, but for now you'll have to use work arounds such as the one suggested above.

The UPnP intregration looks pretty awesome.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
Does anyone know of a scraper that will scrape TV show episodes in production order? Not aired or DVD, the order TV studios produce each episode.

Turns out both Filebot and Tiny Media Manager have a mutual hatred of Phineas and Ferb.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BeerMarket posted:

UPnP library integration is coming soon, but for now you'll have to use work arounds such as the one suggested above.

So if I'm reading this right. Will this render .strm links to the likes of CR and Youtube (and other, less repitible sources) obsolete by allowing them as sources in their own right?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 26, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I don't suppose there is a way to have Kodi running in the background just enough that the library can still update? I'm going to be using my Fire TV Stick as my primary media device but I don't want to have to refresh the library and wait five minutes every time I open Kodi on it if Kodi could be updating the library on my PC all the time. Does this question make any sense?

edit: I know I could just leave Kodi minimized on the PC but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't suppose there is a way to have Kodi running in the background just enough that the library can still update? I'm going to be using my Fire TV Stick as my primary media device but I don't want to have to refresh the library and wait five minutes every time I open Kodi on it if Kodi could be updating the library on my PC all the time. Does this question make any sense?

edit: I know I could just leave Kodi minimized on the PC but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Five minutes? It takes Kodi like 5 seconds to scan on startup for me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Five minutes? It takes Kodi like 5 seconds to scan on startup for me.

On a low power device like the FTS, scanning a network share?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On a low power device like the FTS, scanning a network share?

On a ADT1 and on my current chromebox and when i had an Zotac AD10 with an amd e350. Unless you are adding tons of poo poo between times you launch it it should be pretty quick.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Don Lapre posted:

On a ADT1 and on my current chromebox and when i had an Zotac AD10 with an amd e350. Unless you are adding tons of poo poo between times you launch it it should be pretty quick.

It depends on how many shares you have and how many subdirectories are in each share. On a full blown desktop (maybe 6 year old AMD CPU), connected to 11 shares with lots of subdirectories, an update scan at startup is about 3 minutes for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My FireTV takes about two minutes to scan perhaps 400 files in 60 directories over a strong Wi-Fi connection.

I wrote a daily script to move anything older than 90 days in to an archive folder that's not scanned, it has sped up scanning significantly.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you don't need smart playlists or Pseudo TV or trailers, you could always set up the video library on your PC as a upnp share and access it that way through the Fire TV Stick. That way it will fetch exactly what's on the upnp share every time you open Kodi on the stick. Only downside is if you add something new while Kodi is open, you'll have to close/reopen Kodi for it to show.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BeerMarket posted:

Oops, forgot to mention my parents live far away, so I'm transcoding and sending over the internet.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Trying kodi on windows 10 now. So far it works fine except when I turn off the TV/receiver overnight the scaling gets messed up when I turn everything back on. Everything in kodi is all pixelated. If I restart kodi then it's about 4x to large and I just see the top right corner of the program until I reboot and everything straightens back out.

I'm running the default recommended 150% scaling in windows. I remember there being an issue similar to this in windows 7 that involved the display resetting to a low res when the TV gets turned off. There was some registry fiddling to make 1080p the default resolution when no display is connected.

Another slight oddity is that kodi doesn't have the option for windowed full screen anymore for me. It only does options for full screen or windowed. I think in my old install in windows 7 the windowed full screen option helped resolve some of the resolution/scaling issues I had before.

I haven't tried much googling for trouble shooting advise yet so this is more of a general update on how it's working.

Also this is using an nvidia 750 with HDMI for video and audio.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a similar thing happening occasionally with my Windows 8 HTPC where the desktop and windows look fine, but the content inside the windows is huge. A quick fix for the problem is the go to my resolution settings, bump it down a notch, bump it back to 1080p, and everything resets. It's way faster than rebooting the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm picking up Kodi after switching to Plex ages ago from XBMC. A few questions as I go along.

Can Kodi do smart filename searching for TV shows/Movies like Plex does or am I going have to sort my files into Show/Season/Episodes?

I'm using the ROM Collection Browser. Is there any way to add it to the main Kodi screen so I don't have to look for it in Add-ons or Favorites?

This is on a Windows 8.1 PC.