Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Antifreeze Head posted:

I forgot to mention that the City of Winnipeg maintains a publically viewable list of properties sold over recent years that should help you determine what other stuff in the area is selling for. http://www.winnipegassessment.com/AsmtTax/English/SelfService/SalesBooks.stm

You Realtor likely has you on that Matrix system, but that relies on them scooping up comparable properties. With this, you can look for yourself.

Good luck.

Holy poo poo, this is incredible; I never knew this existed. I'm now going to spend way too much looking at this and I'm not even in the market for a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Yeah it's the legacy costs I'm talking about. Building infrastructure is one thing, and developers often cover some or all of it, but maintaining it 50 years later is a big problem

It's also how people got owned in Calgary, basically getting excited over buying a condo but then learning the city is not going to build stuff like a school due to the commodity crash.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

etalian posted:

It's also how people got owned in Calgary, basically getting excited over buying a condo but then learning the city is not going to build stuff like a school due to the commodity crash.

I honestly don`t know how Calgary is going to survive, trying to build and maintain infrastructure for a city so loving spread out must be a nightmare.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dreylad posted:

I honestly don`t know how Calgary is going to survive, trying to build and maintain infrastructure for a city so loving spread out must be a nightmare.

It won't. Most of North America is headed for a reverse version of the urban decay experienced last century. These vast socially stagnant suburbs will atrophy and rot away, while city cores are increasingly densified.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

It won't. Most of North America is headed for a reverse version of the urban decay experienced last century. These vast socially stagnant suburbs will atrophy and rot away, while city cores are increasingly densified.

It will be pretty ironic seeing what happened to US cities after WWII.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, and it's going to horrible for everyone who isn't wealthy. At least urban slums had transit, communities, and proximity to services and were survivable As the suburbs turn into detroit-style ghettos it's going to isolate a hell of a lot of people. It's not something I'm cheering about. It's something we should have been transitioning away from over the last decade but there's way too much inertia and cultural baggage to stop it, the only thing that's going to stop it is for poor suburbs to run out of money and fall into a cycle of decay leading to a diminishing tax base leading to more decay. But, as we've seen in Detroit and many other poor suburban areas, the very poor can't just move. The places worth moving to they are priced out of and their existing homes are worthless. Richer suburbs will be fine because they're able to pay enough taxes to actually maintain their communities, middle class suburbs will feel the pinch and have to accept higher taxes and once they start paying what it actually costs to maintain that poo poo these areas won't be quite so appealing, or they'll keep voting no for tax increases and get into a cycle of decay leaving only the most poor and vulnerable behind. I'm sure the government will bail out some areas and further subsidize them, specially if the areas vote for the correct people.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm disappointed I won't have more than a week in Istanbul, as it's pretty fascinating from an urban planning context for exactly these reasons. 15 million people stacked in an area the same size as metro van + "the valley", but with the constraints imposed by having to work around literally millenia of existing planning and structures.

I understand there's a similar disconnect going on there right now: with lower and working class districts are being demolished to make room for foreign investment upscale projects (and actually reducing density in the process) , the displacement resulting in shanty towns springing up in stretches of the Theodosian Walls. It's pretty much reached the fullest extent of urban sprawl on both continents, so now it's starting to eat itself.

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 2, 2015

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Rime posted:

I'm actually semi-optimistic. Calgary might do alright if we keep intensifying existing neighborhoods. Bowness and Montgomery are good examples of this. Because these areas used to be their own towns, the street system/property lines were set up originally with 4 acre lots. They've been sold off over the years, but a large number of the lots were still 50 or 60' by 110' or so lots. That's huge. Right now every time one of these lots goes up for sale (and sometimes two beside each other will) developers a swooping in to add 2 or three units on a lot where there used to be one. Right now last I looked Bowness had ~11,000 residents. I'd be surprised if it wasn't over 20 thousand in the next ten years. Mongomery is headed in the same direction and is probably ahead of Bowness in that regard too.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gorau posted:

I'm actually semi-optimistic. Calgary might do alright if we keep intensifying existing neighborhoods. Bowness and Montgomery are good examples of this. Because these areas used to be their own towns, the street system/property lines were set up originally with 4 acre lots. They've been sold off over the years, but a large number of the lots were still 50 or 60' by 110' or so lots. That's huge. Right now every time one of these lots goes up for sale (and sometimes two beside each other will) developers a swooping in to add 2 or three units on a lot where there used to be one. Right now last I looked Bowness had ~11,000 residents. I'd be surprised if it wasn't over 20 thousand in the next ten years. Mongomery is headed in the same direction and is probably ahead of Bowness in that regard too.

I just moved into Montgomery, its going to have some fun growing pains but for the most part its doing pretty well. I find the residential stuff is progressing way faster than the business. Now we have fancy townhouses surrounded by 8 gas stations 4 car washes and like 5 liquor stores.

It's an interesting place.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh wow, the Globe and Mail is actually offering sensible advice to a man who asks if he can afford to buy a condo:

quote:

Client situation

The person: Jackson, 38

The problem: Can he afford to buy a condo like the one he is renting now?

The plan: Forget about the condo. Continue renting and saving for retirement, if he hopes to maintain his lifestyle when he is no longer working.

The payoff: The ability to live comfortably for as long as he wants in the heart of the big city.

Monthly net income: $5,225

Assets: Savings account $17,000; TFSA $39,160; RRSP $111,300; estimated present value of his defined-benefit pension plan $150,000. Total: $317,460

Monthly disbursements: Rent, home insurance, hydro $1,875; groceries $100; dining out $700; telecom, TV, Internet $170; TFSA $460; RRSP $250; pension plan $530; discretionary $1,135 (travel, gifts, charity). Total: $5,220

Liabilities: None

I don't know how this guy survives on $100 of groceries and $700 of dining out per month, but he contributes to his TFSA and RRSP and pension plan without going broke. I mean yes you can get like a $7 lunch and $12 dinner and leave a lousy tip every day, but drat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

A young couple paid $1.52 million – $200,000 over reserve – for a classic 1950s family home in Eastwood that its owners had paid just £6400 for in 1964.

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...502-1myfxy.html

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Mainland Chinese loving LOVE wearing matching outfits and it horrifies me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

I don't know how this guy survives on $100 of groceries and $700 of dining out per month, but he contributes to his TFSA and RRSP and pension plan without going broke. I mean yes you can get like a $7 lunch and $12 dinner and leave a lousy tip every day, but drat.

Lunch: 10*21= 210$ (pretty normal)
Dinner: (700-210)/21= 23,3$ per dinner (ridiculously expensive)
Breakfast and weekend food: 100/30= 3.3$ per day (this is the strange one)

In comparison, my daily food budget is like 6,5$, that's what I can eat for without breaking my budget and food is loving expensive where I live. What the hell are you eating on a daily basis if his lifestyle seems frugal to you? :raise:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Xoidanor posted:

Lunch: 10*21= 210$ (pretty normal)
Dinner: (700-210)/21= 23,3$ per dinner (ridiculously expensive)
Breakfast and weekend food: 100/30= 3.3$ per day (this is the strange one)

In comparison, my daily food budget is like 6,5$, that's what I can eat for without breaking my budget. What the hell are you eating on a daily basis if his lifestyle seems frugal to you? :raise:

Uh, I'm assuming that he eats lunch and dinner 30 days a month, not just 21?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Uh, I'm assuming that he eats lunch and dinner 30 days a month, not just 21?

I'm assuming that he eats at home most of the days which he isn't working. :ssh:

The alternative is that his breakfast seriously costs over 3$ which is ridiculous for someone that is that lazy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Realtors association says Winnipeg housing market 'steady,' not problematic

Josh Crabb , CTV Winnipeg 
Published Friday, May 1, 2015 6:23PM CST 
Last Updated Friday, May 1, 2015 6:44PM CST

Susan Wolfe wants to sell her two-storey home in Harbourview South after moving to a different part of Winnipeg this past winter.

Wolfe listed the home at $388,000 but has had no takers so far.

"If somebody wanted to buy a nice home at a good price this home's pretty brand new, only seven-years-old,” she said.

In its latest analysis of housing prices, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation discovered cracks in the Winnipeg market.

CMHC Regional Economist Lai Sing Louie said Winnipeg lost full-time employment growth last year and that’s part of the reason for the concern.

"So really incomes were growing a little less than housing prices," said Louie.

CMHC said the risk of problematic market conditions in Winnipeg is high, and that overvaluation and overbuilding are causing prices to flatten.

RELATED STORIES

Regina, Winnipeg housing markets at 'high risk' of correction: CMHC report

"With supply levels coming up quite substantially, the market balance has eased off and we're seeing price growth slow," said Louie.

The Winnipeg Realtors Association doesn't agree with the findings. It actually predicted a two per cent rise in prices at the start of the year.

And so far, sales have been steady according to WRA President David MacKenzie.

"I don't think there's any cause for alarm,” he said.

MacKenzie said the market is balanced and claims Winnipeg is still the second most affordable out of major Canadian cities.

"We're tracking at a very consistent pace in terms of any peaks or valleys we don't see that," he said.

Susan Wolfe said she's confident in Winnipeg's housing market and hopes an offer to buy will come along with the warmer weather.

"We still see some interest and I guess it’s just a matter of the spring people having that interest to come and see the house," she said.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mobile/realtors-association-says-winnipeg-housing-market-steady-not-problematic-1.2355142

Yeah ok. Balanced

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

Mainland Chinese loving LOVE wearing matching outfits and it horrifies me.

they wore lumberjack plaid since they thought it would make them blend in.

eXXon posted:

Oh wow, the Globe and Mail is actually offering sensible advice to a man who asks if he can afford to buy a condo:

At least from the CHMC rental survey people would probably be better off just renting especially for most hot markets. For a single bed new condo in GTA you are looking at around $2500-$3000 a month if you factor in all the costs of home ownership.

Still funny how some of the people in the article seem to spend $500-$800 each month just eating out.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 3, 2015

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah when ever I talk about development I'm basically talking about urban development, condos and poo poo where the infrastructure already exists to support them. Suburuban/greenfield developers get so many hand outs. We're making them pay more and more for the initial construction for poo poo like overpasses (which they half finish then declare bankruptcy leaving the city to pay for the rest!) but it's not like they have to pay the upkeep, unless the whole development is private, but I'm really against privatized roads/communities. Suburban areas generally are not taxed enough either to support the infrastructure they require, not just in front of their door, but they need a whole route of roads and highways leading from their sprawl to the city where they work. They end up needing and using vastly more transport infrastructure than anyone else but generally pay a much lower share of tax towards that. Then they go online and leave angry comments about how we need a bike tax because bikes don't pay the gas tax and it's unfair we're spending money painting lines on the roads for them. God drat I'd love someone to do the math and actually charge them for their "fair share" of the transport budget based on how often they drive, how far, and how much their vehicle weighs.

You have just perfectly described Langford, holy gently caress. This place is so blindly stupid that it's staggering.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

etalian posted:

they wore lumberjack plaid since they thought it would make them blend in.

In Australia?

Canada Debt Bubble: Uncle Wong's Outback Sheep Station

I grew up in Frenchs Forest nearby and hate these Aussie stories because I like to think it's somehow been sheltered from the poo poo we're going through and I can go back one day.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

meatcookie posted:

You have just perfectly described [any suburb of any major Canadian city] holy gently caress. This place is so blindly stupid that it's staggering.

And for the unfortunate fuckers in places like Halifax that had their cities merged with completely rural areas, you get "hey why am I being billed for water infrastructure and transit and buses and stuff, my drat house has a well on it and I don't use any of that gay bike or bus crap"

Like Torontonians - imagine if your amalgamation had extended to places like King City and East Gwillimbury. Actual farms. And then they had voting power in your council.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Basically like Ottawa? When we bought our house on the west end, one of the main requirements was that it wasn't inside Ottawa city lines because

Isentropy posted:

"hey why am I being billed for water infrastructure and transit and buses and stuff, my drat house has a well on it and I don't use any of that gay bike or bus crap"

Also, I like having my garbage picked up every week. "Hey, we're cutting your garbage to twice a month so we can build a walking bridge downtown" isn't that appealing when you're dealing with diapers. Reusable cloth diapers would be an option but factoring in the electricity costs of washing and drying them, disposables end up cheaper. Why would anybody choose to live at the outskirts of Ottawa, Toronto or Halifax when they can live a few minutes further with cheaper taxes and better services?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Isentropy posted:

Like Torontonians - imagine if your amalgamation had extended to places like King City and East Gwillimbury. Actual farms. And then they had voting power in your council.

From the perspective of downtown Toronto, this is exactly what happened.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Isentropy posted:

This is what happened in Hamilton and it's been nothing but disastrous.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not sure why a city would annex rural areas but annexing suburbs is always hilarious.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

etalian posted:

Not sure why a city would annex rural areas but annexing suburbs is always hilarious.

How does this annexing work? Is it built into your laws? In Australia cities aren't really cities but a collection of local councils playing Sprawl Wars and no one has real oversight to make city-wide planning decisions. It works about as well as you would expect :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

Ironically, some of the nicest and best-planned spots in Calgary were annexed from former independent towns, and a lot of the "bedroom communities" in the area would be quite liveable if most of the folks didn't go into Calgary for work. I lived in Bragg Creek for a while, which is a little hamlet about 30 minutes outside of Calgary (at the time), and it was lovely. The only issues are a lack of local employment and schools; apart from that, it was a very liveable sort of place.

Suburbs within the city limits are something much different, and much worse. You build the nearest bar/restaurant 2km from where people live, without workable transit, and you're loving surprised that they drive drunk all the time?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

How does this annexing work? Is it built into your laws? In Australia cities aren't really cities but a collection of local councils playing Sprawl Wars and no one has real oversight to make city-wide planning decisions. It works about as well as you would expect :(

In the US it's driven by state level laws, for example NY state the annexation must pass a popular referendum.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

It works the same in Canada, annexing just brings all those local councils together. So in Brisbane for example everything from the CBD to, say, North Lakes, would all be part of the same council when things are annexed. I can't remember exactly how the process works though. And it might be different by province.

The difference is in Australia the suburbs tend to be a lot closer together. What you call "suburbs" we call "neighborhoods". Like there's probably only about 10 suburbs of Vancouver in the Greater Vancouver Area. They all have their own council, but they're all at least somewhat split up geographically. It's very different to Australia where it's just like "welp this arbitrary road is the difference between these two suburbs". So a lot of the times you don't run into the same problems because the councils usually don't really need to work together that often, they're a lot more like independently run small cities than suburbs in Australia.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

The difference is in Australia the suburbs tend to be a lot closer together. What you call "suburbs" we call "neighborhoods". Like there's probably only about 10 suburbs of Vancouver in the Greater Vancouver Area. They all have their own council, but they're all at least somewhat split up geographically. It's very different to Australia where it's just like "welp this arbitrary road is the difference between these two suburbs". So a lot of the times you don't run into the same problems because the councils usually don't really need to work together that often, they're a lot more like independently run small cities than suburbs in Australia.

I dunno. Other than the devide between Vancouver/Richmond and New West/Surrey due to the river, all the other boundaries are just some arbitrary road. (Such as North or Boundary.)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

less than three posted:

I dunno. Other than the devide between Vancouver/Richmond and New West/Surrey due to the river, all the other boundaries are just some arbitrary road. (Such as North or Boundary.)

Surrey/Langley, Maple Ridge/Poco, Langley/Abbotsford, they're very very separate compared to Australian suburbs. Boundary is true, that's probably the closest one to how Australian suburbs are divided up.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/05/03/vancouver-jail-cells-converted-into-housing

quote:

A cozy renovated cell formerly meant for inmates awaiting trial might not be the most comfortable place to live, but it will be cheap — and applications are out for those who meet certain low-income criteria.

Government had listed the Downtown Eastside Remand Centre conversion project at $19.4 million with significant contributions from taxpayer funding last year when the project was announced.

On Sunday, Bloom Group affordable housing manager Karl Tegenfeldt said renovations to the former jail are 80% complete in order to turn former cells into 96 units of housing.

Much of the work went into transforming the jail’s uninviting looks into something people can actually live in — the building was originally built in 1981, but closed in 2002.

One problem with converting the space was how none of the jail cells previously had any windows, Tegenfeldt said. Instead, cells had cement “pods” that jutted out of the building’s exterior — holding bunkbeds. All those cement blocks have been chopped off to give residents windows where bunks used to be.

“The area that was the former jailyard has been turned into, it’ll be our community garden and shared outdoor space for everybody in the building to use,” Tegenfeldt said.

“We’ve got some (indoor) community amenity space,” he said, turning to the building’s former interior common areas.

“There will be a basketball hoop, a small kitchen that can be used if somebody wanted to have a dinner party.”

Cells have also been renovated so now each will have full a full kitchen with bathrooms and showers. Each floor has shared laundry.

Only 42 units are up for grabs — 16 have already been slotted to women’s shelter programs and the rest will go to aboriginal youth in a trades program.

Residents will be sharing space with the Downtown Community Court — located in another part of the same building. Tegenfeldt said the court and the residential areas won’t be connected by interior doors and will have entrances located on different streets.

“We’ll have to be sure to establish a good working relationship with sheriff services who operate the court,” he said.

According to the criteria, applicants need to make at least $26,000 per year but no more than $40,000 — rents will be calculated to approximately 30% of income, about $650 per month on the lower range. Applicants must also demonstrate that they live, work or frequently attend the DTES to be eligible.

Application forms can be found at the admin office at 391 Powell St.

DTES? You mean Railtown~

Actually I think this is much better than those stupid loving containers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...?service=mobile

quote:

In Toronto’s home buyer battlegrounds, even the bullies are getting bullied Add to ...

by Carolyn Ireland, theglobeandmail.com
April 30 08:42 AM

This house on Alton Avenue in Leslieville sold by Sameer Ismail for $683,000, or $184,000 above the asking price.

Real estate bullies have become so zealous in Toronto’s Leslieville neighbourhood, they sometimes don’t wait for the “for sale” sign before making a bid to buy a house.

On Alton Avenue recently, Sameer Ismail of ReMax Hallmark Realty Ltd. was getting ready to list a two-bedroom rowhouse across from Greenwood Park.

He put up a sign saying “coming soon” to let avid house hunters know that the house would soon be launched onto the multiple listing service of the Canadian Real Estate Association.

Listings swelled in April compared with the inventory in the first quarter, he says, but even the 40 or 50 properties that arrived right after Easter weren’t enough to fill the demand.

“That was massive compared to what we were seeing in January, February and March but the demand is still greater than the supply.”

When Mr. Ismail signalled that the listing on Alton Avenue was imminent, a bidder who had recently lost in competition on a house a few doors down was quick to put an offer on paper. The “bully” made the bid good for only four hours.

The homeowners were a bit frazzled, but Mr. Ismail advised them to reject the bid. “It is someone that just wants to jump the queue – who doesn’t want to wait – and just bully you into selling the home.”

If a prospective buyer was that eager before the house even hit the MLS, he pointed out, imagine what the owners could fetch at auction. “Based on my pulse on the market and the lack of inventory, I said ‘let’s just wait it out.’”

The sellers also did not warm to the bully’s strategy of disparaging the improvements they had made to the small house, which had been opened up and renovated with new windows and bamboo floors. If the prospective buyer had seemed to actually love the house, they say, they might have been more tempted by the bid.

In any case, they turned it away, listed the house with an asking price of $499,000 and set an offer date.

On the night set for reviewing offers, 12 parties came to the table and the house sold for $683,000, or $184,000 above the asking price. That 37-per-cent premium was far more than the homeowners expected and it also trumped the bully’s original offer.

When a prospective buyer makes a “pre-emptive offer,” as bully bids are more formally known, the usual tactic is to make it clear the bully won’t come back on offer night if the offer is spurned.

Mr. Ismail says the practice is just another gambit in a blazing hot market. “It’s a strategy and, lo and behold, they did come back They weren’t the winners.”

He says bidding in the segment between $550,000 and $750,000 or so is particularly rabid because lots of people who own condo units and starter homes want to move up to that range. A lot of them have equity from a first property and many also have help from the older generation. Parents are remortgaging their own houses or dipping into savings to help out young adults.

“It’s probably the most competitive price range you could possibly be in because so many people can afford that. There’s hefty competition,” he says.

Mr. Ismail tells another tale of a detached house in the Upper Beaches that he recently listed with an asking price of $699,000. A pre-emptive offer quickly arrived, only to be surpassed by another. “The bully got bullied by another bully.”

The second bidder beat the first with an offer of $969,000, or $270,000 above asking. “They’re shattering any sort of record because they really, really want the house.”

The agent believes buyers are full of brio because Canada’s banks are strong and the rules around borrowing are generally stringent. “You’re getting a very robust pool of buyers.”

And battles are not just happening in $600,000 territory.

Plenty of houses in the $3-million range are selling within days at more than the asking price – which usually signals there was more than one buyer vying for the luxury listing.

“This means many people are competing for multimillion dollar properties,” says Ira Jelinek, an agent with Harvey Kalles Real Estate Ltd.

In Lawrence Park, 5 Pote Ave. is a traditional four-bedroom house within walking distance of the Yonge subway line. It was on the market for six days when a buyer stepped up with an offer of $3.65-million, or $200,000 above the asking price of $3.45-million. Nearby, 281 St. Leonard’s Ave. was bearing a sold sign after two days. It sold for $3.050-million, above the asking price of $2.995-million.

Meanwhile, 3 Honeywell Place near York Mills and Bayview was on the market for 18 days but still sold for $311,000 above the asking price of $3.395-million. The house with 5,600 square feet of above-ground living space, a sweeping staircase and five bedrooms fetched $3.706-million, or 9 per cent above asking.

In the same Banbury enclave, 48 Sandfield Rd. sold for $2.898-million after five days on the market. That was a small premium over the asking price of $2.888-million, but it suggests the buyers didn’t want to risk losing out on the house with four bedrooms, an oak-panelled library and a lavish backyard swimming pool with waterfall.

The listing agent pointed out the curb appeal and park-like setting of a 5,200-square-foot home in South Hill. Listed with an asking price of $2.899-million, it sold for $2.904-million after seven days on the market.

In Moore Park, 71 Garfield Ave. is a large four-bedroom house with a centre hall plan and a backyard swimming pool. It had an asking price of $2.795-million and lasted only two days on the market before it sold in February for $2.907-million.

Mr. Jelinek has clients who made offers on two houses around the $2-million mark and lost out on both.

In one case the house in the east section of Rosedale had an asking price of $2.195-million and sold slightly above that. The second house was listed with an asking price of $2.075-million. Mr. Jelinek’s clients offered $2.1-million but they were outpaced by buyers who paid $2.3-million. “It’s crazy we’re doing multiple offers in the 2.5 range,” he says.

Then they looked at the ultra-modern house at 166 The Kingsway.

Modern design is still relatively rare in the staid Kingsway neighbourhood, he says, so he figures many house hunters didn’t consider looking there. That could be why the house languished on the market for 229 days. A price cut from the original asking price of $2.595-million to $2.188-million also attracted new interest, he says, including a look from his clients, who struck a deal for $2.03-million.

The young buyers have one child and another on the way, and they’re thrilled to find such a modern and beautifully designed house, he says. “Sometimes you can find something that has been overlooked.”

Looking ahead to May, Mr. Jelinek says the market will likely remain heated. “We had bad weather for so long, I feel like it’s going to be prolonged,” he says of the spring action.

Here I am thinking vancouverites are the dumbest motherfuckers.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

This house in Melbourne (that's right, Melbourne, not Sydney) just sold at auction for 4.21M, 1.71M over the 2.5M reserve. Your move, Canada. :smug:

It's interesting watching the 2 speed housing market in here Oz, cause I'm over in Perth and it's definitely on the way down, though you'd never believe it from the news and spruikers. I'm seeing places discounted 100s of thousands of dollars in decent suburbs still getting no interest. I'll likely be buying a place around the end of the year, so we've been watching the market non-stop for months, and it's completely obvious that list prices are way down. For example, there's a place that was listed for 945K back in Nov, it's now listed at 699K and has been for over a month, no offers or anything. "Owners are moving interstate", which is code for owner was a FIFO mine worker and was one of the thousands who lost his job over the past few month, and is moving back east. Cause unless you're old and have kids (like me), why the hell would want to stay in Perth?

Never ceases to amaze me how identical the housing markets are between Canada and Australia. A couple absolutely insane markets, with a bunch on the sidelines doing nothing or falling due to commodities price drops.

JBark fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 4, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/05/03/vancouver-jail-cells-converted-into-housing

DTES? You mean Railtown~

Actually I think this is much better than those stupid loving containers.

The solution to the BC housing affordability problem is getting poor people to live in former jails?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Sydney and Melbourne are like double Vancouvers. This is loving crazy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

The solution to the BC housing affordability problem is getting poor people to live in former jails?

The uncomfortable truth about so called progressives in Vancouver is that they all consider the residents of the dtes to be a barrier to affordable housing because the city won't let the aquillinis or bosas raze it and build ~premium luxury condos ~

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Listen, despite land prices being the driving cause of affordability problems and despite high-rises being extremely expensive per sqft to build the solution is just more skyscraper condos. Construction costs alone for a unit being 350k? If you build enough of them they'll magically get cheaper because supply/demand. If we let developers just go hog wild they'll end up building condos at a loss.

That or they are accelerationists and hope with a big enough glut of poorly built condos the market will collapse sooner.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Good god, land doesn't magically divine its value out of unicorns and leprechauns. Affordability isn't set by the magical value of land which is set by some kind of bank dwelling minotaur.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

JBark posted:

This house in Melbourne (that's right, Melbourne, not Sydney) just sold at auction for 4.21M, 1.71M over the 2.5M reserve. Your move, Canada. :smug:
Mother of loving God :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cultural Imperial posted:

Good god, land doesn't magically divine its value out of unicorns and leprechauns. Affordability isn't set by the magical value of land which is set by some kind of bank dwelling minotaur.

Yeah it sells for what people will pay for it and people are loving stupid.