Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The White Dragon posted:

I was lucky enough not to gently caress my cart with Missingno, but I did get a Level 255 Blastoise that ruined everyone's poo poo :getin:

Missingno. was actually completely safe! He'd occasionally bug up some superficial things, but he'd never actually gently caress up your save. That was his brother 'M.

It's kind of fascinating to read up on Pokemon glitches, they're a combination of far-reaching, well-understood and in a well-known program that didn't have many failsafes. So it's really easy to understand just what causes them, and what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In my junior high if people got suspicious, you'd have to show your end screen that missing no messed up. No one would play against someone who cloned rare candies.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Sleeveless posted:

Looking at Pokemon and Final Fantasy 6 makes you really appreciate modern RPGs. Like, yeah, Skyrim had some glitches that made some quests freak out but at least it didn't have entire stats and status effects that were completely worthless thanks to a mistake by the programmers.

It's funny how, 15 years after the days of playing FF6 in the schoolyard, the old rumors of resurrecting General Leo suddenly came true, and the method to do it is probably more ridiculous and convoluted than the fake methods. However, once you understand how it's done, it's so obvious why it works. Read this LP if you're interested in the insanity that is Final Fantasy 6.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Missingno. was actually completely safe! He'd occasionally bug up some superficial things, but he'd never actually gently caress up your save. That was his brother 'M.

It's kind of fascinating to read up on Pokemon glitches, they're a combination of far-reaching, well-understood and in a well-known program that didn't have many failsafes. So it's really easy to understand just what causes them, and what they're doing.

one time as kids me and my brother trapped missingno. in the gameboy link cable by trading it and disconnecting the cable in the middle of the trade.

a while later we were having a battle and it started glitching out and missingno. came back.

it was like a creepypasta with no blast-processed skeleton blood

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When I was a wee lad playing Digimon World, I thought it was a fun game, but also really hard. Later on I played it again as a teenager and discovered that no, the prima strategy guide just flat-out lies to you in places.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Skaw posted:

There was also that one dwarf fortess clone Towns, released in EA on Steam. Stopped updating leaving the game broken as hell, and the dev had the hilarious audacity to announce they were working on a sequel

HonorableTB posted:

Trolls: Towns and SpaceBase DF9. Two early access games that were abandoned by the developers and widely suck.
The :airquote:trollest:airquote: part here is Towns was never an Early Access title, it was Greenlight.
It was released on Steam as a finished feature-complete title.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Croccers posted:

The :airquote:trollest:airquote: part here is Towns was never an Early Access title, it was Greenlight.
It was released on Steam as a finished feature-complete title.

I'm pretty sure Towns was greenlit before the Early Access program started up, but just because it wasn't released as Early Access doesn't negate the fact that it was indeed an early access purchase. Paying to participate in Alpha and Beta programs has existed for a long time, it's just that Steam has a nice coinable term for it now. And let's face it, Towns wasn't finished or feature-complete, it was definitely a buy-in Alpha that never left that state.

Skaw has a new favorite as of 10:48 on May 2, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shwqa posted:

I did :smug:

Everyone in my school had max masterballs and full legendary team.

There's only four legendaries

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dabir posted:

There's only four legendaries

Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, Mewtwo, Missingno, Missingno :colbert:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you didn't have a legit mew :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I think the best Pokemon troll was FireRed/LeafGreen where they not only put in the infamous truck from the original games they actually put an (mediocre) item under it :allears:

Followed closely by one of the fourth generation games where someone in-game trades you a Pokemon that evolves by trading... holding an item that prevents evolution.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
The quarry in Banished is probably the biggest troll I've seen. I've never seen so many people die to one profession. Might as well call it the pit of death.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The best part about that gnome achievement is that there was something REALLY weird about its collision detection, so if you ever stepped on it while moving it from place to place there was a very good chance you'd be launched several hundred feet in the air, doomed to a death by falling

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bucketmouse posted:

Holy poo poo, so THAT'S where the stupid catch-rate down+b rumor came from.

The best part is that it's technically true.

Bulbapedia posted:

Some people claim to have discovered button combinations that increase a Pokémon's catch rate. This was only partly true in Generation I, as button input could slightly influence the random number generation in the catch rate formulas. This required frame-perfect timing; thus it is only used by tool-assisted speedruns.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rickycat posted:

The quarry in Banished is probably the biggest troll I've seen. I've never seen so many people die to one profession. Might as well call it the pit of death.

My Banished troll is Coal. I've never, ever seen a citizen move it to a market or even a storage space. It just sits there next to the mines forever until a citizen who needs some fuel gets lucky and wanders over to it. Alternatively, I've had more citizens die from falling of ladders as builders than I've had citizens die in my quarries.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sleeveless posted:

Looking at Pokemon and Final Fantasy 6 makes you really appreciate modern RPGs. Like, yeah, Skyrim had some glitches that made some quests freak out but at least it didn't have entire stats and status effects that were completely worthless thanks to a mistake by the programmers.

I kind of feel the opposite. Some of the opaque under-the-hood stuff in those old games didn't work right but I had no way of knowing or caring about that at the time. Elder Scrolls has completely visible, narrative, cause-and-effect stuff failing to work which is way more noticeable and frustrating.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

swamp waste posted:

I kind of feel the opposite. Some of the opaque under-the-hood stuff in those old games didn't work right but I had no way of knowing or caring about that at the time. Elder Scrolls has completely visible, narrative, cause-and-effect stuff failing to work which is way more noticeable and frustrating.

No you just didn't notice the problems because you were a dumb kid like the rest of us. Gen 1 of Pokemon was a complete mess.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

No you just didn't notice the problems because you were a dumb kid like the rest of us. Gen 1 of Pokemon was a complete mess.

It was still perfectly playable, which is more than you can say about Bethesda's games :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah if you were retarded.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Your Computer posted:

It was still perfectly playable, which is more than you can say about Bethesda's games :shrug:

As busted as Bethesda games are, they are also pretty playable. Sure, you can get locked out of some content, but fortunately they have more content than most players will see anyway.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

As busted as Bethesda games are, they are also pretty playable. Sure, you can get locked out of some content, but fortunately they have more content than most players will see anyway.

Morrowind was the last Bethesda game I played that didn't completely crash out and/or lock up my computer at least once every two hours. On the other hand I put hundreds of hours into Red and Blue versions, and never had that problem.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Worlds of power was such a weird series. The Wizards and Warriors one was completely off the game script (probably because it didn't really have a plot other than warrior kills wizard and saves princess) and was basically a YA sword-and-sorcery Chronicles of Narnia with a random kid getting dumped into fantasy forest hell and making friends with the knight from the game.

Sleeveless posted:

A lot of that's due to day 1 patches though. Stuff slips through the cracks still, we just have a means to address it. The games that still stand out to me as posterchildren of RPG halfassedness are Final Fantasy tactics and Lufia 2 since there's absolutely no way to avoid it during the main plot and any sort of QA would've caught the issues.

FFT is a pretty detailed game and the entirety of the tutorial is Google Translate-style engrish. Half the time the menu item captions don't match up to the dialog's instructions either.

(bonus: both games allow you to write gibberish over your party just by moving the cursor incorrectly in the menus).

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 00:20 on May 3, 2015

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Internet Kraken posted:

pretty sure I wouldn't notice most of these things as an adult either because most of these are ludicrous edge cases or complete who-gives-a-fucks that required a bunch of turbo nerds to dig through assembly code. Focus Energy reducing crit rate is pretty funny though, FF1 on the NES had a similar bug where LOK2 was supposed to reduce enemy evasion but it actually increased it. First time I played through I would make it one of my opening spells on Chaos every time I tried to fight him, and then would have a hell of a time beating him. Didn't find out for well over a decade later why that boss fight was so god drat difficult for me.

As much as Street Fighter x Tekken was a complete design failure (and its DLC structure in and of itself was a complete troll), Capcom trolled fans really hard by excitedly promoting that Megaman would be in the PS3 version of the game. This version of Megaman to be exact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwecG0-e0Y

So many disappointed Capcom fans.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pretty soft girl posted:

As much as Street Fighter x Tekken was a complete design failure (and its DLC structure in and of itself was a complete troll), Capcom trolled fans really hard by excitedly promoting that Megaman would be in the PS3 version of the game. This version of Megaman to be exact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwecG0-e0Y

So many disappointed Capcom fans.

This was a troll with approval from Inafune himself. The director of SF X T really wanted Mega Man as a cameo character, but when he asked Inafune for permission his view was 'we've already seen Megaman in fighting games, come up with something clever'. So they came back with that, and he loved it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Internet Kraken posted:

That and your modern Bethesda RPG is insanely complex with all the items, physics engines, AIs, and scripts happening at once while a game like FF6 was relatively simple but could still break something as major as a status effect or a stat.

Not that I'm complaining, being able to give your entire party rad shades as a status effect with no actual penalty was pretty awesome. :cool:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

This was a troll with approval from Inafune himself. The director of SF X T really wanted Mega Man as a cameo character, but when he asked Inafune for permission his view was 'we've already seen Megaman in fighting games, come up with something clever'. So they came back with that, and he loved it.

I'm with Inafune, really. I love that bad-cover-art-Mega Man exists.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Lotish posted:

I'm with Inafune, really. I love that bad-cover-art-Mega Man exists.

It really is the only thing that went right with that piece of garbage game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Don't forget how incredible his ending is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRhsyYqs-5Q

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The tears of rabid fans at what had become of their beloved character were amazing.

Like, the developer is light-heartedly poking fun at their own product and people are having meltdowns as to what they did to ARE MEGAMANS

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Breetai posted:

The tears of rabid fans at what had become of their beloved character were amazing.

Like, the developer is light-heartedly poking fun at their own product and people are having meltdowns as to what they did to ARE MEGAMANS
Did this actually happen? Everyone I've ever seen thought it was hilarious.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Did they ever fix the glitch where he floats into space, effectively timescamming his opponent? Because that might be my favorite piece of the Bad Boxart Megaman puzzle.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did this actually happen? Everyone I've ever seen thought it was hilarious.

quote:

To everyone saying that this Fat, ugly, pistol wielding Mega man is cool just because he's an old cover: some things are meant to be nostalgic, and some things are meant to be forgotten. Poison is nostalgic, for example. This fat Mega man is garbage. And the fact that we don't see a proper Mega man title since Legends makes it even worse. It's a bad taste joke with the fans. This fat Mega man was shameful at the time, and is shameful now. It should be buried deep along with E.T. cartridges, ShaqFu fighting games and Sonic 06. Just because it's old school doesn't mean it's nice. No. It's poo poo. poo poo. YOU HEAR THAT, CAPCOM? YOU TREAT YOUR IP LIKE poo poo.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

That Megaman is awesome.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't forget how incredible his ending is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRhsyYqs-5Q

This was absolutely the best Tekken ending I have ever seen, bar-none

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

This was absolutely the best Tekken ending I have ever seen, bar-none
"I don't understand!" is the best possible response to Tekken's plot.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

lmao capcom actually does treat their IPs (and fans) like poo poo for nearly every reason except for retro boxart megaman, how could this guy be so wrong on every point he makes

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bad Box Art Mega Man in SFxT is hilarious, but also came at a very poor time when it started to look like Capcom was leaving the poor blue bomber out to dry.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
This one's more of a troll from the developers to another company. The recently released game Chroma Squad is about stunt actors from sentai action shows (like Power Rangers). They fight mudmen and transform into colorful superheroes after posing and shouting a catch phrase, and during big battles they will summon a giant robot to duke it out in the streets. The party gets instruction from a giant brain in a glass tube and you get points in the way of audience members, and they appreciate it when you end the episode with a special move very much like the most entries in the sentai genre.

The company Saban owns the rights to the Power Rangers, and when they heard about this game being developed they sent lawyers to make sure the Power Rangers was being properly credited. Even though Power Rangers is only one example of a large genre, and that the game is much more about the production of a sentai show than being a Power Rangers game.

Anyway, from what I understand the developers acquiesced to Saban's requests, which were a small cut of the profits and a mention of them in the game's... marketing? Signage? If you look any where for Chroma Squad, you'll see a little "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" in small print nearby. It's even on the title page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Your Computer posted:

Mods?

• Locked thread