Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We need to make the cars run on bad posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
No wonder F1 cars are so fast!!! :xd:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
:xd::xd:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

devmd01 posted:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress YEAH IT'S MAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzgwCql_mo

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

devmd01 posted:

I just spat my drink on my monitor, you son of a bitch :xd:

Anything happening at the track this weekend car-wise, or is it just a media event/celebration?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

bennyfactor posted:

Anything happening at the track this weekend car-wise, or is it just a media event/celebration?

Oval test on Sunday that's open to the public ($15), that's about it

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ITS MAY

2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFV-85gyzQ

2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFIc6RJKGU

2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8v-X6S4wlU

2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeREa0HUrXY

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That's four pretty drat good finishes in a row. Also post the 2013 lights finish

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLX3OCmweO0

kidcoelacanth posted:

That's four pretty drat good finishes in a row. Also post the 2013 lights finish

Hell loving yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1klmtsWQA

Edit: Also, huh, the only driver in that video who doesn't have at least some time in a DW12 this year? Dempsey :v:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeBr1WqaxMk

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The sad part is I made this video but completely forgot where I put it on youtube. Im hella smart.

Thanks for finding it! haha.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

2014 Lights finish was good too, shame it happened right after the best finish ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnM1ItdVc3k

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gonna be interesting to see how the new Lights car handles Indy. The turbo whine on those engines is awesome in the oval testing vids I've seen.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

KingShibby posted:

Oval test on Sunday that's open to the public ($15), that's about it

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE LOVE US??

*blacks out the Indy 500 on Indianapolis TV*
*charges admission for a TEST SESSION of all things*

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Muddy Burphy posted:

1. If you live within the Indianapolis TV market, and you're a race fan/sports fan/someone who likes to get drunk. Why are you not attending the Indy 500?

2. IIRC my dad was charged for something similar at Daytona, they even tried to rope in for weekend tix, and he said "no" to it.

It's really not that big of a deal. People have been charged to attend Practice there even when I was like 4 and Nigel Mansell was taking hot laps.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Muddy Burphy posted:

hubris is a hell of a thing

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Opening day USED to be a pretty big thing for IMS... and other than Fast Friday, it has the most attendance for any of the practice days. Really $15 is probably about what they have to charge to cover insurance and security to have the track open to spectators so meh. I mean $15 is about what any track charges for a Thursday/Friday practice on a regular race weekend anyway.

Besides, its $15 to watch racecars go around IMS. Yall bitching for the sake of bitching.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Blackouts are immensely stupid in any context

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SiPag's got a sponsor for the rest of the year... yet another gigantic tech company ive never heard of:

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Cygni posted:

Opening day USED to be a pretty big thing for IMS... and other than Fast Friday, it has the most attendance for any of the practice days. Really $15 is probably about what they have to charge to cover insurance and security to have the track open to spectators so meh. I mean $15 is about what any track charges for a Thursday/Friday practice on a regular race weekend anyway.

Besides, its $15 to watch racecars go around IMS. Yall bitching for the sake of bitching.

Waxing poetic about what "used to be" has done wonders for the series and the 500, yes.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

yet another gigantic tech company ive never heard of:

They're #2 to Cisco in business phone systems.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

The sad part is I made this video but completely forgot where I put it on youtube. Im hella smart.

Thanks for finding it! haha.

I had it stashed in the "admins plz to be uploading my custom title images" thread from 2013.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Muddy Burphy posted:

Waxing poetic about what "used to be" has done wonders for the series and the 500, yes.

I was just mentioning the past for some context. Friday tickets at Long Beach were $30. St Pete friday was $20. Today at Talladega for Cup is $20. $15 and free streaming online seems pretty reasonable to me?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I was just mentioning the past for some context. Friday tickets at Long Beach were $30. St Pete friday was $20. Today at Talladega for Cup is $20. $15 and free streaming online seems pretty reasonable to me?

I paid 60 bucks total to see practice at Mid Ohio just so I can walk around the paddocks.

Worth. Every. Penny. Met Mears, Hobbs and a good portion of the IndyCar drivers. Also my brother almost got ran over by Will Power on his scooter. :).

Only problem I really have with the pricing at Indy is the inability to "rent" a Bronze Badge to fully walk into Gasoline Alley. I'm heading out to the Indy GP, and would very much like to go the garage area.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 1, 2015

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Only problem I really have with the pricing at Indy is the inability to "rent" a Bronze Badge to fully walk into Gasoline Alley. I'm heading out to the Indy GP, and would very much like to go the garage area.

Last year I bought a Bronze Badge for the 4 days I was there for the 500 and it was worth every penny, especially since you get free admission every day except race days with it plus admission to Gasoline Alley.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/autos/2015/04/30/jeff-gordon-will-race-in-indy-500--make-book-on-it.html

quote:

Jeff Gordon will “do the double” on May 24 by driving the pace car for the Indianapolis 500 and then fly to North Carolina to race his regular stock car in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway the same day. I think this is wonderful because it’s going to give him a taste of what the Indy 500 is all about. All he’ll have to do is look in his rear-view mirror and see 33 Indy cars behind him, all snorting to be turned loose. He’ll get the fever. You watch. Gordon has said he will retire from the Sprint Cup circuit after this season but he never said he was retiring from motor racing. I predict he will race in the 2016 Indianapolis 500, which will be the 100th renewal of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing. In fact, he could already have a deal with Roger Penske. Remember where you heard this. It’ll happen.

Fun! (I doubt this, but if there was a man to pull this off? It'd be Roger. )

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

SiPag's got a sponsor for the rest of the year... yet another gigantic tech company ive never heard of:

KingShibby posted:

They're #2 to Cisco in business phone systems.

See that? Advertising works.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
It's probably a B2B thing.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cygni posted:

Used to be Nortel. Seems like big B2B companies that had a name change in the last decade could be a good market for sponsorships (cf TE). Not much use in buying TV ads if you don't have a consumer arm, but stuff like this still gets your new name out there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I know it's kind of necessitated by the tiny sidepods but the current Penske base livery is just awkward.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Alain Post posted:

I know it's kind of necessitated by the tiny sidepods but the current Penske base livery is just awkward.

The most awkard part of SiPag's old yellow Penske Truck Rental livery was that SiPag was the only one dressed in yellow...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alain Post posted:

Yeah, I don't think it 'works', personally.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are the "Rabbit Ears" coming back on the IMS road course?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

Are the "Rabbit Ears" coming back on the IMS road course?

Not from what I've heard. I'm considering the removal of the rabbit ears to be a "Balance of Performance" adjustment

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I liked the rabbit ears :(

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So did JPM.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Blackouts are immensely stupid in any context

blackouts have been proven to decrease attendance, which is the exact opposite of what they're intended to do. the fact that IMS persists with it is just beyond stupid.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I just watched those 4 finishes again and, weirdly, 2014 might actually be the best one. The 3 best passes of the race are between the top 2 cars in the last 4 laps, and no caution involved like the other ones. Just a good rear end race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

2012 and 2013 probably would have been just as good if not for the yellows, but hey 2014 owned other then the wife cams.

• Locked thread