Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

RangerScum posted:

Get a used D7000.

edit: I should elaborate more but google and compare its features to the D3300 and I think you'll see the benefit of spending a little bit more to get a much bigger bang for your buck. It'll still be sub-$1k.

If using his non-AI lenses is a priority, the D7000 won't work with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

Ah poop, my bad.

Quick google found this, but I dunno how well it works/costs or if it's worth it:

http://aiconversions.com/index.html

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Manual focus glass is such a pain on crop bodies with tiny viewfinders that it's probably not worth the trouble, period.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Looks like mirrorless with an adapter gets you the most bang for your old glass, depending on what kinds of things you shoot. The SLR will beat the mirrorless when it comes to autofocus speed and battery life. If neither of these things are absolutely crucial maybe consider mirrorless?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TheJeffers posted:

Manual focus glass is such a pain on crop bodies with tiny viewfinders that it's probably not worth the trouble, period.
This is entirely subjective, but I disagree.

My AF lenses are cheap consumer crud so I end up manual-focusing them half the time, and shooting manual-focus lenses the other half of the time. I shoot a Pentax K-5, which as far as I can tell has a middle-of-the-road quality of optical viewfinder, and no focusing aids other than the red lights that light up when the AF module *thinks* I've hit focus - and half the time, it's wrong by an infuriatingly small-but-glaringly-obvious amount.

I know nothing about Nikon, but if a used D7000 will play nice with the old lenses, I second the recommendation.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

voodoorootbeer posted:

Looks like mirrorless with an adapter gets you the most bang for your old glass, depending on what kinds of things you shoot. The SLR will beat the mirrorless when it comes to autofocus speed and battery life. If neither of these things are absolutely crucial maybe consider mirrorless?

Buy an old NEX for basically nothing and a SLR, get the best of both worlds.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Depends on the lens. A lot of nonAI glass will mount but not meter on bodies that supposedly won't take them. I used a nonAI 50mm on my D70, D100, D200, and D700. You just have to use the histo and guess exposure.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Elliotw2 posted:

Wow, I hadn't realized the cost of a NEX had fallen so far. I won $300 in a photo contest and I've been looking for a photo-related thing to spend the money on. I was thinking about a tripod, but an old mirrorless + adaptors for my orphan glass (Minolta MD, Konica AR) might be as much fun.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Used A6000s consistently go for $400 which is a pretty good deal.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sony constantly releasing new bodies might suck for people that have to have the newest thing, but man it makes a fantastic second hand market.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So what's the deal with older Nikon lenses not even metering on newer Nikon bodies? It's just photons hitting a sensor.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
So I murdered a hobo the other day, why can't I use his eyeballs as a lenses for my lomo? It's just light passing through something that focuses it or whatever.

Edit:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6287665194/understanding-old-nikon-lenses-ai-ai-s-af-and-af-s

TLDR: The coupling for the old metering system is no longer compatible.

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 1, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

So what's the deal with older Nikon lenses not even metering on newer Nikon bodies? It's just photons hitting a sensor.

Their metering system just doesn't support stop down metering afaik. I assume they must be able to meter in live view though? (Maybe a dangerous assumption, who knows)

RangerScum posted:

So I murdered a hobo the other day, why can't I use his eyeballs as a lenses for my lomo? It's just light passing through something that focuses it or whatever.

He has a point - if you stop the lens down manually, and select a shutter speed, it ought to be able to tell you "This is an acceptable middle gray exposure" or not. Other camera brands meters do this - Nikon chooses not to include that feature on low end bodies.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 1, 2015

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Honestly guys, the answer to all of your problems: Don't use manual Nikon glass on a Nikon DSLR. Use it on a Sony mirrorless instead . No need to thank me, sometimes you gotta do this pro bono stuff for karma.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

timrenzi574 posted:

He has a point - if you stop the lens down manually, and select a shutter speed, it ought to be able to tell you "This is an acceptable middle gray exposure" or not. Other camera brands meters do this - Nikon chooses not to include that feature on low end bodies.

Yeah I was joking, but it's not just their low end bodies, it's their upper tier poo poo as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

timrenzi574 posted:

That's what baffles me. Back when I was a Canon guy, I tried out all sorts of oddball lenses on my Canon DSLR bodies and they metered fine. You manually select the aperture (or lack of aperture) on the lens and the meter figures out what shutter speed to run at.

Is this proprietary stupid poo poo like how Nikon bodies shoot x fps without a grip and x+2 fps with a battery grip?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

RangerScum posted:

Yeah I was joking, but it's not just their low end bodies, it's their upper tier poo poo as well.

The D2h sitting on my desk begs to differ!
You've got to tell it what the max aperture is whenever you get a new lens though. It stores it by focal length.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

That's what baffles me. Back when I was a Canon guy, I tried out all sorts of oddball lenses on my Canon DSLR bodies and they metered fine. You manually select the aperture (or lack of aperture) on the lens and the meter figures out what shutter speed to run at.

Is this proprietary stupid poo poo like how Nikon bodies shoot x fps without a grip and x+2 fps with a battery grip?

Just product delineation as done by Nikon - the pro bodies can meter with AI/AI-S lenses. (Although Pre AI physically won't work on anything but DF bodies) Look at the dumb poo poo Canon randomly cuts out of lower end bodies for no random reason other than to move people up the line.

The mirrorless players don't do this poo poo because they are trying desperately to steal that DSLR market by throwing every feature conceivable at consumers.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

timrenzi574 posted:

The mirrorless players don't do this poo poo because they are trying desperately to steal that DSLR market by throwing every feature conceivable at consumers.

Matrix metering, shake reduction, focus peaking with whatever random manual lenses is pretty much amazing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

timrenzi574 posted:

(Although Pre AI physically won't work on anything but DF bodies)

Again, this is not true across the board. Plenty of nonAI lenses mount on Dxxx bodies. They won't meter but they work otherwise.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

HPL posted:

The d7200 at least has 6 fps in regular mode and a 1.3x crop mode that gives you 7 fps

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Most of the Nikon semi pro and pro bodies will take every ai or newer lens, but you have to enter the aperture manually for each lens. And of course no af.
Only the df will mount non ai lenses.
You could also modify your non ai lenses to ai with some careful measuring and cutting

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
buying nikon is like min/maxing a 90's crpg

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
well i'm off to buy a nikon brand digital camera

*prints out 30-page walkthrough from gamefaqs*

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just get a used 7k, add one hundred each time you feel rich.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

Only the df will mount non ai lenses.

Am I just posting into space? You can mount some if not most nonAI lenses on more than the Df. Not all nonAI lenses interfere with the newer metering tab. I have personally done this with several nonAI lenses. You just have to be careful the first tome to make sure the metering tab will clear the aperture ring.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
i feel as if someone has posted above me, and yet there are no words

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

RangerScum posted:

i feel as if someone has posted above me, and yet there are no words

when someone posts do you get a prescient feeling like spiderman in the funny books? except instead of question marks over your head it's crudely drawn dicks? yeah...uh...me neither.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Elliotw2 posted:

Actually I'd suggest the 5N instead - it's got the fantastic high-ISO sensor and it's even more dirt cheap. No PDAF, but CDAF is fine anyway when you're manually focusing.

My 5N and Samyang 35/1.4 are a fantastic duo and I can put it on a ME too. Crazy capabilities for the cost - at f/1.4 and ISO 12800 you can shoot available-light anywhere, for sub-$500 in gear.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hey guys, B&H has a great deal on the Hasselblad Lunar, aka the $6k NEX 7 at $1495

Or if you're a grownup, there's an brand new Nikon D750 for a paltry $4 more on ebay

:lol: at that hasselblad lunar. just lol.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

red19fire posted:

Hey guys, B&H has a great deal on the Hasselblad Lunar, aka the $6k NEX 7 at $1495

Or if you're a grownup, there's an brand new Nikon D750 for a paltry $4 more on ebay

:lol: at that hasselblad lunar. just lol.

Ahahahaha.

quote:

Engineered for your dreams of intergalactic space travel, the Hasselblad Lunar is built to remind you of your terrestrial origins, yet invoke a sense of the cosmos to come. Finished with a firm, textured Italian black leather grip and adorned with ruby-embellished control dials, the Lunar's artisanal quality pairs with titanium mechanical controls, a carbon fiber shell, and a physical vapor deposition coating. This melding of time-honored craftsmanship and futuristic intent recall the earliest missions to space, where the original Hasselblad 500C became the first camera to enter outer space. Employing luxurious Italian design with Swedish ingenuity, the Lunar is a proud object not just capable of producing other-worldly imagery, but also serving as a multi-generational symbol of the past, present, and future.

Statistically speaking there must be a person sufficiently dumb and rich to take this seriously, but goddamn :staredog:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nikon's pro-er bodies can definitely meter with anything, as long as the camera is in aperture priority mode. If there isn't anything pushing the AI tab, the meter assumes the lens is as open as it will be when the picture is taken, and expose according to that.

Configuring the lens focal length and maximum aperture on the camera is only necessary for matrix metering (and perhaps non-center focus confirmation) to work correctly, and to show the chosen aperture in the display. You can test this by unmounting the lens, setting the camera in A mode, and then pushing the AI tab. Notice the meter reading and aperture value in the display changing.

Apart from that, you could mount a pringles can with magnifying glass glued on, and auto-expose all day.
My D700 is definitely also capable of stop-down metering with non-AI lenses. If I push the aperture preview button, the aperture lever disengages, the meter continues working, and the AE-L symbol lights up. I assume it would result in a non-AI lens stopping down and the meter reading correctly.

The Nikon bodies without an AI tab instead just have a small button-tab on the side of the lens mount, that only gets depressed when a CPU lens is set at the minimum aperture. This lets then display fEE without full mechanical AI support.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Looking to make the jump to full frame soon. I know people love the Tamron 17-50/2.8 here, but what about the 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD? Or what else should I look at for midrange zooms on Nikon?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nothing else.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Nikkor 24-120 is a perfectly cromulent lens that has excellent results for the range. You won't be shooting f/2.8 but I think the rose is off f/2.8 zooms since full frame is back, has excellent high ISO performance, and people generally want a little more range on the long end.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

Looking to make the jump to full frame soon. I know people love the Tamron 17-50/2.8 here, but what about the 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD? Or what else should I look at for midrange zooms on Nikon?

Unless it's different or there's a specific full-frame version, I know the Tamron 17-50/2.8 on Canon is a crop lens.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Huxley posted:

Unless it's different or there's a specific full-frame version, I know the Tamron 17-50/2.8 on Canon is a crop lens.

that is probably why he was asking about it's FF cousin, the 24-70.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

that is probably why he was asking about it's FF cousin, the 24-70.

Ah, I misread the question, then. I thought he was asking about both on FF.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Incidentally, the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 on amazon for $769 right now is pretty boss for a cheap zoom.

Just be aware it's screw drive, and tends to front focus a bit, so calibrate that sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

404notfound posted:

If you can tolerate a big, heavy lens with a little less range on the wide end, the Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S performs somewhat better than the Tamron, and a used one in EX condition on KEH is as much as the Tamron is new. Unlike the 17-50 on DX, the 24-70 is no bargain on full-frame (unless you're allergic to used gear for some reason).