Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also Mom (Rose's) and Dad (John's). Rose's Mom is sorta-kinda Roxy, but John's Dad is a mystery.

John's Dad is really the one mystery I really want to know what the gently caress is up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

John's Dad is really the one mystery I really want to know what the gently caress is up with.

John's grandmother married mark twain/colonel sanders and had a kid

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Fucknag posted:

KARKAT: I HEARD YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT QUADRANTS, SO I DECIDED TO PAUSE MY TANTRUM.

Well, that's how it happened as far as I'm now concerned.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GeneX posted:

John's grandmother married mark twain/colonel sanders and had a kid

John's grandmother is the adopted daughter of Mark Twain.

His great grandmother is the Troll Empress. REALLY hope some one brings that up at some point.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Burkion posted:

John's grandmother is the adopted daughter of Mark Twain.

His great grandmother is the Troll Empress. REALLY hope some one brings that up at some point.

Oh wait yeah

It's been half a decade since that story happened, so I'm a bit hazy

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Not the actual Mark Twain, but Colonel Sassacre, based heavily on Mark Twain

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Not that it is really important, but if you right click and press play enough on the choose your conversation panel, it says "PANELS AREN'T POSTED YET" in red. Also, I just realized the colors supported by BBcode color tags on this site match the ones used by the various characters of homestuck. I guess there are only so many easily distinct colors though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jazu posted:

Is that when being a hero results in you stumbling across a love interest without trying?
You'd have to ask Roxy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I look forward to Rose and Roxy's combined Wizard fantasy epic, to be written as soon as they save the multiverse and create a world with people to actually read it.

I predict a minimum of ten magic wands.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

The greatest tragedy of Homestuck is that John never got to watch Interstellar.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

God I love BAD FANFICTION ZONE Hussie

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Is there an update today or is today Saturday in Mystery European Country?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
There's no update today or tomorrow.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The Friday update went up Thursday afternoon, and now we're waiting for the Monday update to hit Sunday afternoon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Music Theory posted:

The greatest tragedy of Homestuck is that John never got to watch Interstellar.

Or Pacific Rim, or Jupiter Rising.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Dolash posted:

It's actually a little interesting that for all the rest of Homestuck's relational diversity John seems to fit the more classical hero archetype complete with Getting The Girl.

You're right, Hussie will definitely gently caress up John/Roxy before the end,

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
This is bullshit, Hussie better give me closure on a single Hearts-Horseshoes-Balloons leprechaun romance before shipping all of the other characters again.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I wonder if Roxy's gonna drop Rose's Last Words in the next convo.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

David Copperfield posted:

This is bullshit, Hussie better give me closure on a single Hearts-Horseshoes-Balloons leprechaun romance before shipping all of the other characters again.

Horseshoes? gently caress off with your tumblr bullshit.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

loquacius posted:

I didn't really fit in, the rest of the class was all time-traveling Daves

Dave has become Tumblr (all of it) destroyer of humor.

Seriously, though. It would be great if at some point Dave shows Karkat how to really argue with past/future selves by setting up an all Dave social network.

Fargo Fukes posted:

You're right, Hussie will definitely gently caress up John/Roxy before the end,

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Hussie's policy on lasting romantic relationships of any importance to the plot can be best summarized as "no hetero".

That and he's clearly using retcons to pander in as many ships into this convoluted plot as he can.

Stayton fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 2, 2015

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Stayton posted:

Dave has become Tumblr (all of it) destroyer of humor.

Seriously, though. It would be great if at some point Dave shows Karkat how to really argue with past/future selves by setting up an all Dave social network.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Hussie's policy on lasting romantic relationships of any importance to the plot can be best summarized as "no hetero".

That and he's clearly using retcons to pander in as many ships into this convoluted plot as he can.

you seem pretty upset about socially awkward teens not being straight my friend

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WAR FOOT posted:

you seem pretty upset about socially awkward teens not being straight my
friend

It definitely does feel like a case of "Fine, you wanted it?? Well you GOT it" from Hussie when it comes to the sudden onslaught of sicknasty acrobatic relationship-related loving pirouettes off the handle. And maybe that's not what he intended for it to come across as, but to me it seems like he's resolving it all by laying it right out on the table in one huge dump just because the fanbase demonstrated that they wanted this talk to happen so drat badly.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

WAR FOOT posted:

you seem pretty upset about socially awkward teens not being straight my friend

If that were the case I'd have never made this this far. Perhaps it's just that up to this point Dave has been the least awkward, and I may have finally bagged my teenage shenanigans limit?

CJacobs posted:

It definitely does feel like a case of "Fine, you wanted it?? Well you GOT it" from Hussie when it comes to the sudden onslaught of sicknasty acrobatic relationship-related loving pirouettes off the handle. And maybe that's not what he intended for it to come across as, but to me it seems like he's resolving it all by laying it right out on the table in one huge dump just because the fanbase demonstrated that they wanted this talk to happen so drat badly.

That too.

I'm also on the record as being pretty drat sure this comic isn't ending without at least one person self shipping.

Stayton fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 2, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stayton posted:

I'm also on the record as being pretty drat sure this comic isn't ending without at least one person self shipping.

Does Karkat not count?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It doesn't feel unwieldy really at all though, it just feels like the characters talking. Dave's development has been pretty plausibly leading up to this - some serious self-examination about who he is and what he wants.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
It's funny that both Dave and Karkat go off trying to convince John he has romantic feelings he doesn't have. I mean, most of Dave's speech is about masculinity, but his initial response was sort of defensive that John wouldn't consider kissing boys.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Remember captchalogue jokes? I remember captchalogue jokes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think Karkat, at least, might be more right than you suspect. John <3< Terezi is a pretty credible ship! Chalk it up on the wall.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Karkat is shipping John <3< Terezi. Karkat has taken over Nepeta's role.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Android Blues posted:

I think Karkat, at least, might be more right than you suspect. John <3< Terezi is a pretty credible ship! Chalk it up on the wall.
It would be full of John pulling pranks on Terezi, then Terezi pulling one that gets him killed but in a way that he resurrects.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

WAR FOOT posted:

Remember captchalogue jokes? I remember captchalogue jokes.

I miss those.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TVs Ian posted:

It would be full of John pulling pranks on Terezi, then Terezi pulling one that gets him killed but in a way that he resurrects.

See, all of this would be UTTER bullshit if it wasn't for the fact that John and Terezi's first ever interactions ended with her trolling him to death.

If anything could inspire black rom, it'd be that.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah and let's not forget Terezi telling John she's going to "slit his throat and listen to him bleed, while she smells him die". I've never heard such a flagrant black overture!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

CJacobs posted:

I agree that this is a huge load of text but if we imagine this as an insistently submitted reader input command along the lines of ==> Dave: Use the postapocalypse's dissolution of all meaningful social constructs to question your entire culture's heterosexist masculinity and arrive at a deeper understanding of yourself it's really in keeping with the spirit of the comic's premise.

edit: ==> Dave: Use the postapocalypse's dissolution of all meaningful social constructs to bleat like a goat and piss on your turntable

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

There has been all of one new relationship, Dave with Karkat, so I offer up the possibility that you're a retarded manchild who is mad that the characters aren't acting how you want them to.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazu posted:

It's funny that both Dave and Karkat go off trying to convince John he has romantic feelings he doesn't have.

That's not really true though. John has those feelings because he's the one describing them, all Dave and Karkat are doing is saying "dude, this thing you're describing is the basis of spades".

The only thing that's funny is that John is likely to interpret this as meaning that he has to ask Terezi out, because in a lot of ways he's even more of an old man thank Jake and has a view of relationships that's heavily focused on obligation (remember when he was half jokingly going on about having to marry Rose? and the thing with Davesprite's ghost butt too).

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 2, 2015

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Android Blues posted:

"IT'S SUPPOSED TO FEEL hosed UP" is a pretty lovely endorsement for a relationship.

Also, he said Terezi frustrated him, and then Karkat basically said "THEN YOU WANT TO BONE HER, IT'S THE ONLY POSSIBLE EXPLANATION".

Jazu fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 2, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yes that's the joke. That's always been the joke, spades is literally just the classic toxic relationship, except that to trolls it's a positive romantic ideal that can be continued indefinitely.

Which honestly is only slightly less realistic than imagining that a normal earth human romantic relationship can, should, or will continue forever.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Hussie has made a Dave and Karkat and John conversation that is only a little funny and otherwise just kind of garbage, so I think it's finally clear he's lost it.

It is pretty funny to me now though that s many characters have turned been revealed to be gay that now the main character when he says he's straight is given the old talking to about how you should just go with everyone else and be bisexual like everyone else, you weird freak. It holds a nice mirror to our current society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Hussie has made a Dave and Karkat and John conversation that is only a little funny and otherwise just kind of garbage, so I think it's finally clear he's lost it.

It is pretty funny to me now though that s many characters have turned been revealed to be gay that now the main character when he says he's straight is given the old talking to about how you should just go with everyone else and be bisexual like everyone else, you weird freak. It holds a nice mirror to our current society.

Is this post real? Goodness.