Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That makes sense honestly because The Warriors NAILED the look of the movie almost better than Manhunt's take on Newark/Asbury Park.

I hated how much more, uh, conventional Manhunt 2 is? Like the way the story was much more of a typical video game story with its dude on the run and top secret men in black guys and stuff. Huge waste of potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Neo Rasa posted:

That makes sense honestly because The Warriors NAILED the look of the movie almost better than Manhunt's take on Newark/Asbury Park.

I wish they'd release the video game on PC so it doesn't end up forgotten. It really was a fantastic adaptation of The Warriors, and something I'd wholeheartedly recommend for fans of the movie.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's on PSN Classics at least.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Niggurath posted:

Was playing some Uncanny Valley over the weekend expecting something akin to a watered down and dull Lone Survivor, but it was a lot better than I expected. The premise is common enough being in a foreboding, isolated place but there's plenty of bizarre dream sequences to catch you off guard and just this overwhelming sense of dread that permeates the game. It's seriously pretty good and it's got a reasonable amount of replayability, though there are quite a few bugs currently that the devs are working out.

Man thanks for posting about this game. I just watched the trailer and im kind've hooked. For only 10 bucks i dont see a reason not to pick this up.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Manhunt 3 should have the protagonist be a video game who is kidnapped and then hunted down by other violent video game players who emulate their favorite violent video games in place of games. So you've got the xxx360NoScopexxx guys who play CoD all day, the creepy anime Otaku who are into rape simulators, edgy trenchcoat wearing guys who emulate Hatred, even go full meta and have some emulate the first two Manhunt games. Their masterstroke plan for getting away with the murders is that they could say violent video games made them do it so they could make an insanity plea and moral guardians will campaign against video games.

Basically, make Manhunt 3 meta as all hell.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Manhunt really felt like Arkham Asylum way before the fact, just in the way you started out in the shadows vastly outnumbered versus an army of cocky enemies, who would devolve into a mess of "Oh god what's happening" as you picked them off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

More like Metahunt amirite?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Manhunt 1 had really good atmosphere going for it. The second area of the game you are in a sprawling scrapyard and you have to fuel up some piece of machinery by carrying jerry cans around but you can't use your weapon while you're carrying a can. The ambient noise was just perfectly eerie and bleak, you're surrounded on all sides by piles of junked cars and buses, you can hear skinheads calling out to you about how they will cleanse your race from the gene pool, and I remember that was the first time in that game that I felt legitimately creeped out.

Manhunt 2 on the Wii had some good ideas. The murder scenes were more interactive and you had to act out the murders you were doing using the remote and nunchuck, but there was no leniency for incorrect motions. There's a patch floating around that removes the censorship. I didn't feel compelled to beat it because yeah it was kind of hokey and the "big twist" was telegraphed right from the beginning.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Even in the total of around 4 levels you can use stealth and executions in Manhunt 2, it was just so over the top that it was hard to take it seriously. I mean sure it's gruesome but it wasn't really disturbing, just gratuitous and schlocky. Manhunt 1's more minimalist approach to the brutality where there was less gore than you'd expect from some of the executions came across as much more disturbing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'd love a Manhunt on the same thematic level of the first. We can only hope.

The problem with it would be that Rockstar North are also the GTA guys and so that whole team is pretty much tied up with GTA these days. The Bully/Red Dead Redemption team might make a good sequel I guess, and it turns out the original team behind Manhunt 2 were sold to another company years ago and are now non-existent. I think what made the first Manhunt so good was that the Housers are big exploitation and crime film fans. Rockstar North were the GTA/Warriors/Manhunt guys and you kind of need them onboard to make a good and proper Manhunt sequel, but at this point I doubt they would. It'd be the perfect time to though, retro 80's cult horror is kind of making a minor comeback.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Even in the total of around 4 levels you can use stealth and executions in Manhunt 2, it was just so over the top that it was hard to take it seriously. I mean sure it's gruesome but it wasn't really disturbing, just gratuitous and schlocky. Manhunt 1's more minimalist approach to the brutality where there was less gore than you'd expect from some of the executions came across as much more disturbing.

I agree. I'd say the plastic bag's executions are probably the most disturbing, and in both games it barely shows any blood from them at all.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Ddraig posted:

The aesthetic is superb, there are very few games that have managed to portray that slimy, dirty feeling it evokes (Condemned, possibly?) and it actually had a few concepts that didn't become big for a while, and introduced at least one that hasn't really been done since.

I'm so, so disappointing Kane & Lynch 2 turned out to be so boring; it does grunge so well.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm so, so disappointing Kane & Lynch 2 turned out to be so boring; it does grunge so well.

Kane and Lynch 2 is a really cool looking game with a great aesthetic but it is rather terrible to actually play :(

A pity, as it has a pretty loving fun multiplayer mode that literally nobody played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T45UG-QhOg

Undercover Cop was the best. It was like a realtime version of Mafia.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 2, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

K&L2 was also the shortest single player game ever made.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Basticle posted:

K&L2 was also the shortest single player game ever made.

I booted up Far Cry 4 for the first time and got to the credits in like 15 minutes.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
Outlast was on sale recently along with Whistleblower for €10 on PSN, I had discounted pretty much all the near-release titles this gen and I'd forgotten it existed to be honest.

But man, what a fuckin' great ride!

What's really sticking with me is how, despite being a total exploitation piece, it still managed to make the maniacs quite sympathetic.
They all know what's going on and are truly horrified by it, like Gluskin (Holy poo poo Gluskin the Groom.) says they're being raped, literally, they're having their madness impregnated and supported and enhanced to give birth to a demon and they know it.

Apart from Trager, come to think of it, he stays all business-at-hand.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Hope you actually got around to downloading PT because now you can't even if it was in your queue/"bought" on the ps store

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I haven't owned a Playstation since 2 but I got to play PT at my buddy's place last Friday. Man, what is with that game? Two grown-rear end men in the middle of the day walking down a hallway and we had to turn it off after like 10 minutes. How is it so unsettling? I've watched full playthroughs on YouTube for chrissake, and I still couldn't deal with it. I seriously want someone to deconstruct what it is that's so effective about it, because I can't make sense of it. I take back anything bad I might have said about Kojima doing a horror game ever.

(We ended up playing Bloodborne and the FFXV demo afterwards, which were both horrifying in their own diverse ways.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

I haven't owned a Playstation since 2 but I got to play PT at my buddy's place last Friday. Man, what is with that game? Two grown-rear end men in the middle of the day walking down a hallway and we had to turn it off after like 10 minutes. How is it so unsettling? I've watched full playthroughs on YouTube for chrissake, and I still couldn't deal with it. I seriously want someone to deconstruct what it is that's so effective about it, because I can't make sense of it. I take back anything bad I might have said about Kojima doing a horror game ever.

(We ended up playing Bloodborne and the FFXV demo afterwards, which were both horrifying in their own diverse ways.)

Lots of care put into hyper-sensitivity, is what I think. That single hallway is so painstakingly, realistically rendered and all the sound effects are so crisp that it feels like you're right there. Plus it's got the nightmarish concept of "wrong space" down pat.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

It perfectly mimics a lot of nightmares I've had. Of being lost in somehow familiar but corrupted places. Or those nightmares where you're in a big dark house at night and know that there's something really horrible waiting in the darkness if you do the wrong thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Relin posted:

Hope you actually got around to downloading PT because now you can't even if it was in your queue/"bought" on the ps store

To be fair they warned everyone it was getting pulled from PSN

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Len posted:

To be fair they warned everyone it was getting pulled from PSN

Pulled from purchase, a lot of people just assumed they would still host it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

King Vidiot posted:

Pulled from purchase, a lot of people just assumed they would still host it.

Everything I had read for it never specified purchase or hosted. Apparently it's weird to assume "removed from psn" means exactly what it sounds like.

The download apparently has an expiration date too so it's going away no matter what.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Okay, I know this looks bad, and knowing Konami it probably is, but I just had a thought.

Maybe Konami is just removing it temporarily to change a few things? As it is right now P.T., while a darn good game on its own, is still an advertisement for a game that will never come out, and leaving it up as-is will just cause confusion among new people who find and download the game in the future. Maybe they're removing P.T. so they can edit out the "Silent Hills coming sooooonnn..." ending and then put it back up?

At this point Konami probably doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt in any capacity but it came to mind as a possible reason as to why not only are they removing it from the store they're also putting an expiration date on all digital copies of it.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

dijon du jour posted:

Okay, I know this looks bad, and knowing Konami it probably is, but I just had a thought.

Maybe Konami is just removing it temporarily to change a few things? As it is right now P.T., while a darn good game on its own, is still an advertisement for a game that will never come out, and leaving it up as-is will just cause confusion among new people who find and download the game in the future. Maybe they're removing P.T. so they can edit out the "Silent Hills coming sooooonnn..." ending and then put it back up?

At this point Konami probably doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt in any capacity but it came to mind as a possible reason as to why not only are they removing it from the store they're also putting an expiration date on all digital copies of it.

No, Konami are vindictive shits and are pulling PT to spite Kojima.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kulkasha posted:

And the internet. There is an insane amount of rage directed at Konami for canceling Silent Hills.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

man that is some extreme wishful thinking. why would they even bother putting it back up sans the teaser? It's gonna get deleted forever most likely. I'm really pissed that the app itself will cease to work and you can't even redownload it. At least with the old Marvel VS Capcom poo poo, if you bought it beforehand then you had it forever.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Len posted:

Everything I had read for it never specified purchase or hosted. Apparently it's weird to assume "removed from psn" means exactly what it sounds like.

The download apparently has an expiration date too so it's going away no matter what.

Usually when a game gets removed from XBL or PSN, the files stay on the server, P.T being removed completely is an unusual case.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

MinibarMatchman posted:

man that is some extreme wishful thinking.

I guess I just have a hard time believing Konami are really THAT horribly stupid and vindictive. This isn't just taking their ball and going home. This is burning down the ball-making factory and lobotomizing the memories of their ball from everyone's memories.

I always was extremely naive. :sigh:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

In one of the threads someone posted a GamesIndustry.biz article about Konami that laid out some pretty compelling signs that Konami is prepping for a full exit from the games industry, and this is them continuing to move in that direction. They've only released like 1 game on the new consoles.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-30-what-is-happening-at-konami

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wait, am I understanding this right?So even though it's on my PS4 right now it'll eventually be removed from there and I won't be able to play it ever again? I figured it was like the previous gen when rights issues meant dlc got taken down or whatever, you couldn't buy it but if you had it you could redownload it fine.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
People are noting that multiple games have those "expiration dates." It's probably his PS+ expiration date.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah note the PSN account is from Germany. In Germany and several other EU countries P.T. required PS+.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

dijon du jour posted:

Maybe they removed it to a farm in the country where it can run and play and chase squirrels.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PT is still in my download list, both on the console and Sony's website, and I can download it from both sources. I understand it being removed/expired in Europe if it was a PS+ thing as that's a subscription service but it was a free download available to everyone in at least America and I don't foresee Sony removing it completely.

e: Everybody is reporting its gone from the servers but gently caress, there it is for me. I don't want to risk deleting it and trying again to prove a point but I just queued, downloaded, and played the game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 6, 2015

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Some other publisher should get its poo poo together, pick up Kojima and make Silent Hills under a different name. I have to imagine the thing was going to be wildly different from regular SH anyway.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I kinda hope he'll hop on the Kickstarter bandwagon, even though that's starting to get out of hand. Think of how much money NotSilent Hill would make though, especially with a huge name attached.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Literally make PT but with more environments than the one hallway. I'll buy it.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I kinda hope he'll hop on the Kickstarter bandwagon, even though that's starting to get out of hand. Think of how much money NotSilent Hill would make though, especially with a huge name attached.

Silent Hill 2 was made on double the budget of even the most successful video game kickstarter, and that's on PS2-level technology. If you want the same visual quality as PT it's gonna have to come from a studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So who owns the fox engine now then? :tinfoil: