Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Call it the Bud Light Butt Sipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Xibanya posted:

https://blog.vandalog.com/2015/04/how-many-street-artists-can-hyundai-rip-off-in-30-seconds/

Hyundai stole a bunch of street art from actually notable people instead of unknowns or buying art for pennies from desperate out of work art students. While the average joe probably doesn't give a hoot about stolen street art, it appears some of the ripped off artists have agents and lawyers and all that fun stuff so they might be able to raise a fuss loud enough that the hip youths or whatever will be turned off. Aw who am I kidding.
Stealing art in general is a really awful thing to do. Even just doing photography as a hobby, I've seen my photos printed without permission and without me being credited as the photographer, and its really insulting that someone thought it was perfectly appropriate to take my work and put it in a book or magazine without even letting me know they were doing it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How Rude posted:

I am not paying $600 for a toilet seat.

Me either, I'd just go the homemade route:

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I'm not sure how, but I often get poo poo all the up my lower back. A bidet would be nice.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I'm not sure how, but I often get poo poo all the up my lower back. A bidet would be nice.

you should probably get out of bed first

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
After going on holiday last year to a country where bidets were normal, I sure as hell want one in my own house. You could eat dinner off my rear end in a top hat, it felt so clean.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GWBBQ posted:

Stealing art in general is a really awful thing to do. Even just doing photography as a hobby, I've seen my photos printed without permission and without me being credited as the photographer, and its really insulting that someone thought it was perfectly appropriate to take my work and put it in a book or magazine without even letting me know they were doing it.

But do you credit the people that created the things you've photographed for "your" work?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finally, the photographer's hypocrisy exposed.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

(c) Betsy Ross, these six guys' parents, the military-industrial complex, God

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Phlegmish posted:

Finally, the photographer's hypocrisy exposed.

My world :negative:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

:wtc: Do you poo poo into a vortex or something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sassassin posted:

But do you credit the people that created the things you've photographed for "your" work?

A friend and I were at a convention and a guy stopped us and was like "hey can I get a picture for my blog?" And we let him get a picture. He hands us a business card and walks away. Turns out he runs an Indianapolis sightseeing blog and sells prints of what he takes pictures of so someone may have a framed print of me and my friend :stare:

Dude won't even give me a watermark free version for my Facebook.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Len posted:

Dude won't even give me a watermark free version for my Facebook.

What, The, gently caress?

That is honestly the LEAST you can do as a digital photographer.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Eh, when I lived in Madrid there were people who'd always go to busy discotheques and clubs and take pictures and give people cards so that people could buy the pics later if they wanted to. They're sort of providing a service I guess.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Xibanya posted:

Eh, when I lived in Madrid there were people who'd always go to busy discotheques and clubs and take pictures and give people cards so that people could buy the pics later if they wanted to. They're sort of providing a service I guess.

There's no money in it. Trust me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

:stare:

What the gently caress, man.

ttp://www.howtowipeyourbutt.com/

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

VendaGoat posted:

What, The, gently caress?

That is honestly the LEAST you can do as a digital photographer.

A friend of mine and I are around the same skill level as photographers (very beginners, basically) but he really wants to make a job out of it so he's registered an LLC and made claims about the poo poo he can do (but never has done). One day we were both out at a local park taking pictures and a couple had a really handsome dog, so I asked for their permission to take some pictures of him.

We snap a few photos and I give the couple my email address and tell them to contact if they want any of the pictures that turn out, if any did. The next day I'm going through what I took and setting a few aside in case I get an email about them. I message my friend to ask if any of his dog pics turned out in case the owners wanted some.

He sent me a handful of watermarked photos. At least they never contacted me.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

One of the requirements I had for my wedding photographer was that he had to give me full rights to ownership and distribution of the photos in the contract, and absolutely no watermarks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anybody want an affordable bidet, here's the Groupon:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-freshspa-easy-bidet-toilet-attachment-3

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jaramin posted:

One of the requirements I had for my wedding photographer was that he had to give me full rights to ownership and distribution of the photos in the contract, and absolutely no watermarks.
My friend got married a while ago and asked me to take a few pictures. I said sure since I had a decent camera, her father ran a small photography business and was going to take pictures too. He asked if I could use his SD card instead so he could view the photos right away, so I said okay. He ended up not giving me any of the originals, and when he uploaded them on his website he put his dumb watermark over my pictures. Photographers can be rude sometimes.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
^^^^ Asholes like that. Christ...

Jaramin posted:

I hope you compensated him accordingly.

Other than that. Yah I can understand the bride and grooms worries about hiring an rear end in a top hat photographer that can, legally, withhold your wedding pictures. That's being an enormous rear end in a top hat.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

VendaGoat posted:

^^^^ Asholes like that. Christ...

I hope you compensated him accordingly.

Other than that. Yah I can understand the bride and grooms worries about hiring an rear end in a top hat photographer that can, legally, withhold your wedding pictures. That's being an enormous rear end in a top hat.

Having known a few photography students who did side work as wedding photographers, usually if they are withholding your photos it's because of a good reason. People at weddings have 0 chill, and my friend once had to deal with a family who wouldn't let her eat food (despite the fact that it was in the contract they signed) or let her sit down because she "might miss something". This was for an 8 and a half hour long wedding. She was going to withhold the photos from them because they also tried to dick her over when paying her but then the grooms uncle came up to her when she was leaving and was just like "look I'm really sorry my nephew is such a tremendous cockface." and gave her 300 dollars in 20's.

I've been told it's waaaaay worse for wedding DJs too.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Having known a few photography students who did side work as wedding photographers, usually if they are withholding your photos it's because of a good reason. People at weddings have 0 chill, and my friend once had to deal with a family who wouldn't let her eat food (despite the fact that it was in the contract they signed) or let her sit down because she "might miss something". This was for an 8 and a half hour long wedding. She was going to withhold the photos from them because they also tried to dick her over when paying her but then the grooms uncle came up to her when she was leaving and was just like "look I'm really sorry my nephew is such a tremendous cockface." and gave her 300 dollars in 20's.

Oh there are stories for both sides being dicks. People, all people, can be dicks.

Every story, i've ever heard, is just one more tally on why I have never and will never do weddings.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I used to work for a band that did weddings a lot, and I have seen very similar things happen to photogs and caterers. DJ's and live music people have it significantly easier because generally only certain parts of the day that they're supposed to be "on," but everyone else on the service end gets brutalized by family members and wedding planners for the entire duration of the ceremony. It's a lovely way to make money, tbh.

e:

Zaphod42 posted:

I literally never said a single one of those words. :rolleyes: "Foaming at the mouth", are you serious?
You don't have to be angry to be stupid, dude.

you are a gigantic goober

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 09:45 on May 1, 2015

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Now I understand the shock and joy expressed by my various wedding vendors when I told them "of course you can have some of the food." Never realized people wouldn't let them could look away from the event for 30 seconds to grab a drink or something. Also my photographer's contract got me digital and physical copies of all photos taken without watermarks, so I guess it was a good experience all around.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

After my wedding we couldn't get hold of the photographer for nearly 6 months then a cd was slipped through the door containing a mix of full and low res images and I heard shortly afterwards he quit the business. So he never got paid, because how could I? Turns out the photos taken by a friend and guest were actually better through.

I'm sure he tells the story of us being terrible customers who never paid him but seriously if you shut your office and your phone gets cut off how the gently caress can I get in touch?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Now I understand the shock and joy expressed by my various wedding vendors when I told them "of course you can have some of the food." Never realized people wouldn't let them could look away from the event for 30 seconds to grab a drink or something. Also my photographer's contract got me digital and physical copies of all photos taken without watermarks, so I guess it was a good experience all around.

Same. We also let them take the rest of the food at the end (it was a buffet, there was a lot) in case they didn't get a chance to eat or wanted leftovers or whatever.

Don't be a jerk to people at your wedding. It's an simple concept.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

VendaGoat posted:

Every story, i've ever heard, is just one more tally on why I have never and will never do weddings.

You're missing out. Seriously, weddings are a spectacular celestial collision of drama, liquor, and formalwear.

I mean yeah, I've heard all the horror stories, but the worst thing I've had happen to me is 150dpi uncropped full platen scans of proofs showing up online :argh:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
gently caress weddings, and the whole wedding industry.

My brother married a horrible materialistic :byodame: who had to have the most expensive wedding imaginable, which ended up bleeding my dad dry with a 6-figure bill, and they loving divorced anyway 2 years later.

My sister, on the other hand, knows the goddamn score and had a simple registry office "sign here" type deal. Everyone was happier all round.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Try filming em :(

It's hell being on a crew that's in tow the entire day having to remain invisible from something like 7am to midnight.
Which is always a nightmare when trying to film in churches and not get in the way, especially with the more traditional ceremonies where everyone clusters around the pair and you have no room to get a decent shot without having to physically tap people on the shoulder and feeling like an utter dick.

The place I worked for prided themselves on being "affordable" which attracted the thrifty clientele stretching every penny. And if you think you had any quiet time in the reception you had to keep an eye on the pop-up photobooth to stop kids smacking the photo button (they were too short to be seen, so often tried to time the snap with their jumps) and throw away the drunk dick picks that would appear as the evening wore on.
I do regret having to bow out of the heavy metal wedding, as that looked like a blast and pretty much threw tradition to the wall for an excuse to have ear splitting music that made Greek weddings look quiet in comparison. (Protip: earplugs).

The winner was one groom who just didn't want to be there and I had to cut around him drinking through the whole day until he disappeared midway through their dance to get more drinks out the back.
At least I didn't have to directly deal with "we want to see all of the footage!" requests.

While the pay-on-the-day was handy, driving home at 3 in the morning after spending almost the whole day on your feet was getting really unsafe despite leaving with cash in hand at the end of the day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

My brother married a horrible materialistic :byodame: who had to have the most expensive wedding imaginable, which ended up bleeding my dad dry with a 6-figure bill, and they loving divorced anyway 2 years later.

That sucks, but your father should have known to say no. If the wife to be complained, he should have reminded her that traditionally it's the bride's parents that pay for the wedding.

I can see how easily wedding bills can inflate, but some of it is completely ridiculous. Feeding hundreds of people is expensive, an open bar for hundreds of people is wallet-crushingly expensive, but cake prices are ridiculous. The last article I read on The Knot was by a man, writing for brides about the things you can expect the groom to do. One of them was to balk at the prices on things, and the response he suggested for that was explaining that 5k for a cake was actually the best deal you could find.

Meanwhile, A Practical Wedding is having articles on how to decorate Trader Joes / Whole Foods $30 cakes to make them look wedding-y. I get that there's a huge distinction between a huge multi-tiered wedding cake and a single-tiered round cake. But not a $4970 difference. Also if you have a few different kinds of cake, you can give people options rather than having the same bland yellow cake you would get a sheet of from Wal-Mart for $20.

edit: gently caress, thought I was posting in the Engagement/Wedding megathread, blogpost deleted.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 17:26 on May 2, 2015

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Traditional weddings are for the birds. Especially Catholic weddings. Whose idea was it to force all their friends and family to sit through mass?
The best wedding I ever attended was at a lodge in a state park. They just had their friends play the music and bought a bunch of pizzas instead of cake. It was awesome.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

MonkeyHate posted:

Oh man that dog was the bane of my high school's administration. They had to move detention to the lunchroom for a while because too many of us were getting busted for wearing Spuds shirts to school. The Thing to Do became hiding your Budweiser t-shirt under a sweater or jacket so you could flash it when faculty weren't looking.

Why do teachers and school admins never seem to figure out that banning a thing makes it that much more desirable? These people were kids once. They were there. Would this kind of thing really be as popular if they didn't fight it so hard?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. 47 posted:

Why do teachers and school admins never seem to figure out that banning a thing makes it that much more desirable? These people were kids once. They were there. Would this kind of thing really be as popular if they didn't fight it so hard?

Because every generation thinks they have it all figured out and forget that when they were kids they were impressionable idiots just like their current kids.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr. 47 posted:

Probably because they're forced to. I work at a daycare with kids ages 5-12 and I remember exactly what it was like at their age so I try my best to explain the reason they have to follow so many terrible rules isn't my fault but the church/my boss/the states rules.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Spuds specifically is mascot for an alcoholic beverage, so wearing a Spuds shirt can be interpreted as Budwiser marketing to children in a school. I remember there being strict rules against wearing any shirts with beer or tobacco brand logos.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mr. 47 posted:

They don't give a poo poo, but they need to be seen to be doing something so parents don't complain.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Think of the children!
/
:byodame:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mr. 47 posted:

They're worried about their jobs? "Wear all the Spuds MacKenzie t-shirts you want!" is a more dangerous proposition than "ban Spuds MacKenzie t-shirts", because one of those definitely pisses off powerless students who can't do anything, but the other option might possibly piss off parents, administrators, voters in school board elections, school board members themselves, etc. Causing trouble for the one group has way less risk than possibly being hassled by the other group. Even kids have to make decisions like this, everyone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

My sister, on the other hand, knows the goddamn score and had a simple registry office "sign here" type deal. Everyone was happier all round.

That's what I wanted for my wedding, but my mom and my inlaws threw a fit. :( I bet there's a lot of people like that, they originally wanted a small or nonexistent ceremony but get pressured into big shindigs by their family.

I just wanted to go to the justice of the peace and then get sushi...

PUGGERNAUT has a new favorite as of 08:46 on May 4, 2015