Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Angry Grimace posted:

I never even saw the original anywhere and I live in loving San Diego. I think I had it once at some rando Pacific Beach restaurant.

It was pretty much never on a tap list in the last 10 years, but it's always been available in bottles. Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard took up all the tap space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Framboos is slowly making its way on shelves stateside. If you get Shelton brothers, you may come across bottles. $30-$45.

I'd do terrible things for a bottle if a goon comes across some.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Any thoughts on Love Child #5 yet, i.e. is it better/worse than past LC's? It's out here but I have yet to grab a bottle.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Real Name Grover posted:

Any thoughts on Love Child #5 yet, i.e. is it better/worse than past LC's? It's out here but I have yet to grab a bottle.

vvv

danbanana posted:

LC5: Milder tartness but a lot of astringency. Minimal barrel other than a little vanilla aspect. But seriously: astringent. This might be the last year I buy this and definitely will not be buying one to sit on.

For those keeping score, the official rankings:

LC2 (fresh) >> LC3 (~1 year) > LC3 (fresh) >>> LC4 > LC2 (~1 year) > LC5

I still have a 2, 3, and 4. 2 was falling apart a while ago but who knows. 3 was GREAT with a little time so maybe better? 4 wasn't terribly good (too tart) but MAYBE NOW!?

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Real Name Grover posted:

I didn't get the astringency that Dan got and felt it compared to Bon Chien.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
My bad; did a search for "Love Child" and missed that.

Boulevard's annual releases seem to vary quite a bit in quality.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hey Tampa goons, how often is Rapp BA Barleywine released? Quantities?

I ask because Bag of Sun Chips was nice enough extra one for me after he got back from Huna day... except my rear end in a top hat roommate drank it without asking permission. There's a few other victims involved, but this is specifically one I'm bummed about. I am having zero luck seeing it on trade forums :smithcloud:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

air- posted:

Hey Tampa goons, how often is Rapp BA Barleywine released? Quantities?

I ask because Bag of Sun Chips was nice enough extra one for me after he got back from Huna day... except my rear end in a top hat roommate drank it without asking permission. There's a few other victims involved, but this is specifically one I'm bummed about. I am having zero luck seeing it on trade forums :smithcloud:

what the gently caress makes roommates think they can do this poo poo?

edit: somehow i missed the announcement that Union is canning Old Pro Gose... hell yeah

cryme fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 1, 2015

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

what the gently caress makes roommates think they can do this poo poo?

Seriously.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
My housemate is a bit of an alcoholic, so I have a locked cabinet for the good stuff. He doesn't even like beer that much but still, it's not safe.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

lazerwolf posted:

Schmaltz Brewing is making a Session Double IPA, we are truly at the end times.
Victory brewed one for Alla Spina (Philly restaurant) too for their house beer a year or so ago. I was so flabbergasted by the wording when I saw it. It was great though, it was a west coast regular IPA through and through and was like 6.8% ABV. I doubt they'll brew it again though because they replaced their house beer with another one by Victory.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I was excited for Kirsch Gose but this is very maraschino cherry to me. In fact, the first thing it reminded me of was the "kiddy cocktails" my parents would serve on holidays.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
So i'm currently having my first Sunday Morning Stout. I'm not afraid to say that this is better than KBS was this year fresh. Its a little more hot, but drat, such a deep coffee flavor. Better than BCBCS this year, even!

in bad beer news, Limo Tint by Prairie tasted like Bomb! Lite. Interesting idea, but just not for me.

ISO for sure.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm having my first Montmorency Vs. Balaton, this year's batch. Jesus. You could blindfold me and tell me that this is Cantillon Kriek and I'd happily believe you. Really authentically lambic-style funk and a ripe, juicy cherry character. Best fruited sour I've had since I got a Rose de Gambrinus a couple months ago.

I got this and an Equipoise in exchange for a Foolery (thank you, Hardywood hype) and I am not regretting a bit of that trade. Also got some Prairie saisons (Funky Gold Amarillo and Hop [which was amazing]), as well as a Night Shift Mainer Weiss, which was accidentally sent to me. Dude was supposed to send me a JK Repose but he got confused sending boxes to multiple people at once. Fortunately enough he agreed to send me the Repose in exchange for a Supreme Leader, so it's all good.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 1, 2015

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Framboos is slowly making its way on shelves stateside. If you get Shelton brothers, you may come across bottles. $30-$45.

I'd do terrible things for a bottle if a goon comes across some.

How terrible? I just checked in to my hotel in Brussels...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

One of my locals had Bruery Cuivre on last night. The five ounce pour was about four and a half ounces too much. It smells like Mom's bread pudding - too many raisins and a background dusting of cinnamon. It is, miraculously, suspiciously, impossibly, sweeter than Mom's bread pudding and tastes even more like an enormous handful of raisins with a light dusting of cinnamon. It inherited none of the good points of the barrels it was aged in, only a slight tannic/woody bitterness that is unpleasant and does nothing about the overwhelming presence of raisins, raisins, raisins. It's a loving mess. Worse than any other Bruery anniversary offering was fresh. It tastes like a failed sherry.

So I wasn't a fan. Also since it's 16% I got stuck chatting with a boring person for an hour before I felt like I could drive home in good conscience. One half star out of five.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

bartolimu posted:

So I wasn't a fan.

would it be fair to say that they're not raisin the bar?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

bartolimu posted:

One half star out of five.

You can give quarter-stars now!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Retemnav posted:

You can give quarter-stars now!

I have to leave rating space for "I literally vomited this back up due to how terrible/poisonous it was."

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Local brewery just announced their first blended sour is getting released next Friday at 11am. Thanks to this being not Chicago, I'm going to show up at 7pm and grab my 8 bottles, then wait in line for an hour for a spot on their brewpub's patio.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Hill Farmstead is releasing Flora Plum next Wednesday. $22 for a 12oz bottle. That seems insane to me.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Duey posted:

Hill Farmstead is releasing Flora Plum next Wednesday. $22 for a 12oz bottle. That seems insane to me.

yeah, well it won't seem so insane when a million people call out sick and drive like maniacs up to the middle of vermont in order to buy one

oh wait

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

ReaperUnreal posted:

Bellwoods things

I've only had a couple from Bellwoods, Lost River and Donkey Venom. I rather enjoyed them.

Man, Canadian releases are awesome. The local brewers out west hardly ever run out of stuff. The big local boys still has all 5 versions of their RIS sittin' on shelves (BBA, Cherries+ Barrel, Brett+ Barrel, Rum Barrel, and non BA) after like 8 months. Hell, sours are shelf turds here. A new nano opened up here a couple of weeks ago, (max production cap 150L!) but they make really solid beers and are super chill dudes. They lean more towards the English styles, which I don't think get enough love, so I'm happy about them.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Duey posted:

Lol what.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
If it sells out, it's not insane.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
It's insane for a normal person. All the bros and gross neck beards that have to have it think it's normal for 'special' stuff. If these people didn't exist it wouldn't sell out at those prices and a normal person could have a go for say $10. On the other hand good business decision.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

sterster posted:

It's insane for a normal person. All the bros and gross neck beards that have to have it think it's normal for 'special' stuff. If these people didn't exist it wouldn't sell out at those prices and a normal person could have a go for say $10. On the other hand good business decision.

Yeah well, those people do exist, so it's not the price that's insane it's the culture.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

My buddy is going to go up for that. He has called in sick for every Flora release and does the 15 hour round trip in one day.

He's also insane.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Got a super nice box from .... I don't even know his SA user name anymore as we do all our deals over texting.... I wanna say it's Catfish Noodlin... but I could be wrong.

2x FB Last Snow
1x FB MBCP
2x FB French Toast
1x JK Aurelian Lure
1x Green Bench Mail Order Russian Bride
1x Green Bench Your Silent Captain
1x crowler of Cycle Brewing Cream and Sugar Please
2 cans of Due South IPAs.

AAAAAND a bag of Funky Buddha popcorn.

Can't wait to open up some Funky Buddha tonight with friends.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

bartolimu posted:

One of my locals had Bruery Cuivre on last night. The five ounce pour was about four and a half ounces too much. It smells like Mom's bread pudding - too many raisins and a background dusting of cinnamon. It is, miraculously, suspiciously, impossibly, sweeter than Mom's bread pudding and tastes even more like an enormous handful of raisins with a light dusting of cinnamon. It inherited none of the good points of the barrels it was aged in, only a slight tannic/woody bitterness that is unpleasant and does nothing about the overwhelming presence of raisins, raisins, raisins. It's a loving mess. Worse than any other Bruery anniversary offering was fresh. It tastes like a failed sherry.

So I wasn't a fan. Also since it's 16% I got stuck chatting with a boring person for an hour before I felt like I could drive home in good conscience. One half star out of five.
Have you liked other Bruery anniversary beers? I loved Sucre and Bois... was just wondering if this was a whole different beast this year ? I do love their sweet beers though.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

sterster posted:

Indeed, if all the people who are willing to pay a certain price for a good didn't exist that good would probably be sold for less (or not be sold at all).

I think you've discovered economics

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jose Valasquez posted:

Well, capitalism at least...

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

Indeed, if all the people who are willing to pay a certain price for a good didn't exist that good would probably be sold for less (or not be sold at all).

Do I have to go some place to pick up my degree or do they just ship it to me?

On another note. Tried kbs14 and 15 side by side. 14 is a lot cooler on the palette and coffee/toffee? Isn't as strong. Blends much better. 15 is hot on alcohol taste with much stronger flavors. I'll wait to crack open another 15 to let it mellow.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
to be clear- Tired Hands will not fill growlers from other breweries, correct? will they fill 32oz or just 25oz and 64oz? would a Whole Foods growler be acceptable or not?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Had a really nice brunch at my local for the first real patio day of the year. Decided to start it off with a $4 pint of Bell's Java Stout which is solid and I'm not sure why I don't buy it more often, especially when I've had the proper glassware for years and never used it:

Followed it up with the enamel-strippingly-sour FFF Skull'Ole and 5 Rabbit Guava Paletas, which is far better than last year's edition, with the guava much more forward and a colour that looked much more like the popsicle they were trying to emulate. Delicious.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trip report: I'm pissed why more places don't can/bottle and widely distribute goses and saisons because they're perfect for the summer. Someone gave me a can of Orpheus' Atalanta a little while ago at a crawfish boil today and oh my god it was perfect for sitting outside in the sun with. I brought some Nola pale ale and Abita andygator because of my storied history of that beer from living in Louisiana for a bit. I've been giving it to people as a malicious prank because it's an 8abv beer that doesn't taste that boozy, and you can guess its history in a college town.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

to be clear- Tired Hands will not fill growlers from other breweries, correct? will they fill 32oz or just 25oz and 64oz? would a Whole Foods growler be acceptable or not?

they used to fill whole foods growlers, but now it's strictly their own. might change with the new brewery being online but who knows. they sell 32oz swingtops and 64oz screwtops.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Spanish Manlove posted:

Trip report: I'm pissed why more places don't can/bottle and widely distribute goses and saisons because they're perfect for the summer.

It's getting better. Unfortunately the best ones are still harder to come by or in large format bottles.

My dream is year round 4pks of saison-brett

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
We are at St Boniface and this Paideia is off the hook. Super good ale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

^^^

We go there quite a bit. Are you local?