Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

You can press 3 to switch signs, 4 for thrown/traps. I never found the combat difficult, and usually enjoyed it :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I used more the temporal menu with Control. Time slow down and everything, so you don't have problems choosing the correct sign.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I hotkeyed all the five signs to the extra buttons on my mouse, combat got way more enjoyable after that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't get it.
He's talking about the endgame, at which point it's:
- left click while standing near him
- repeat until he's dead

I got a GTX 960 just when the free Witcher 3 codes ran out. Apparently that's a thing again now - anyone I can contact to beg for one, to make up for my bad timing?

Edit - The shop where I got it were like "contact the game company / the people who made the card, we don't care"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 2, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xander77 posted:

- repeat until he's dead

I got a GTX 960 just when the free Witcher 3 codes ran out. Apparently that's a thing again now - anyone I can contact to beg for one, to make up for my bad timing?

Contact your retailer maybe?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xander77 posted:

- repeat until he's dead

Nope, Letho parries anything but the first two hits after you Aard him.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Lycus posted:

*Geralt stabs Trollslayer with a silver sword*

"But that's a sword for monsters!"

He's right, because if you stab him, you are a monster.

I'm underwhelmed by the skill system, it appears to be mostly percentage damage increases or range increases. :( Even WOW stopped doing that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yaos posted:

:( Even WOW stopped doing that.

Not really. Now they just have percentage boosts for everything under the sun, instead of just damage.

That said, there's not a lot of ways to do meaningful skill systems that aren't complete and total changes to basic gameplay.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Yaos posted:

He's right, because if you stab him, you are a monster.

I'm underwhelmed by the skill system, it appears to be mostly percentage damage increases or range increases. :( Even WOW stopped doing that.

The second upgrade for block/parry lets you send arrows back at who shot them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though they really just threw in arrow redirection as a Witcher 1 reference.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Man, It kinda sucks not to have a "gently caress them all option" in witcher 1 and 2. I can sympathize with the squirrels, but not the way they do things. The orders are god damned KKK covers and everyone is a racist aside from a handful. Everyone needs to chill the gently caress out. Preferably by lack of functioning metabolism.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Broose posted:

Man, It kinda sucks not to have a "gently caress them all option" in witcher 1 and 2. I can sympathize with the squirrels, but not the way they do things. The orders are god damned KKK covers and everyone is a racist aside from a handful. Everyone needs to chill the gently caress out. Preferably by lack of functioning metabolism.

There's the neutral route in 1. Siding with Roche, then helping Triss is effectively the neutral route in 2. You broadly stay out of the politicking that way. You might not get to kill everyone, but you're not actively helping either side.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The whole series is a commentary on the impossibility of neutrality, so there's that.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Lycus posted:

Though they really just threw in arrow redirection as a Witcher 1 reference.

Where does it show up in Witcher 1? This never made sense to me as an ability, especially when almost every possible cutscene death for Geralt in TW2 (so, deaths that CDPR thought would look believable) is him eating a load of arrows.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The whole series is a commentary on the impossibility of neutrality, so there's that.

"If I die, tell Ciri 'hello.'"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Blocking a single arrow can be done relatively (relative to a decade of sword training) easily, compared to most of the TW2 death scenes which are almost 300-esque.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Cheston posted:

Where does it show up in Witcher 1? This never made sense to me as an ability, especially when almost every possible cutscene death for Geralt in TW2 (so, deaths that CDPR thought would look believable) is him eating a load of arrows.

In the prologue when the professor kills Leo, then again (maybe) when the witcher kills the professor. Its not actually an ability I dont think

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

dud root posted:

In the prologue when the professor kills Leo, then again (maybe) when the witcher kills the professor. Its not actually an ability I dont think

It's a Dexterity/Agility skill in Witcher 1. And of course, a cutscene ability in an ironic echo to when the professor killed Leo.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I'd like to thank my gaming hard drive for dying now and not closer to the 19th. At least I have time to get a new one before the crazy happens.

I also scheduled my tonsillectomy for two days after the game comes out. Three weeks to enjoy The Witcher 3 while high on pain medicine!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
RE: deflectingarrowsonlyoneatatime

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I also scheduled my tonsillectomy for two days after the game comes out. Three weeks to enjoy The Witcher 3 while high on pain medicine!

Alchemy build, then?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

And is my single favorite thing about the series.

I love that the new one seems to have more of those ambiguous quests where you can't tell if you're hurting or helping even after it ends.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm sure that the sort of people who look up online FAQs to learn what choices to make to get a game's mega-happy ending don't like it, but screw 'em, I love it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 3, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I can see Geralt being used like a tool, but he apparently doesn't, or doesn't care.

Who is the worst? Nilfguardians? Temarians? That other big empire I have just forgotten the name of? I'd rather see them all burn before I do their dirty work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Broose posted:

I can see Geralt being used like a tool, but he apparently doesn't, or doesn't care.

Who is the worst? Nilfguardians? Temarians? That other big empire I have just forgotten the name of? I'd rather see them all burn before I do their dirty work.

I don't know, man. That's a lot of XP you'd be giving up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Whoever the rebel faction is, I only probably join them first. I've been a sucker for the Scoia'tael before now.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Broose posted:

Everybody is the worst and he just rolls with it

Lycus posted:

Whoever the rebel faction is, I only probably join them first. I've been a sucker for the Scoia'tael before now.

I've been playing as the books Geralt and with that approach scoiatael isn't an option because he thinks they are scum

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 3, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I played and completed both witcher games last month. I had picked them up during the last steam sale and finally ran out of other games to play. I actually kinda like the first game even though normal difficulty was easy (swallow all day erreday). The second game took me forever to get used to the controls, but I don't think I've ever seen such wonderful looking armor in any other game. If it weren't for the weird controls, I think I would've died a lot less.

I had no idea you could pull a neutral path with Roche. I feel kinda robbed now. I suppose it's the developer's fault for not putting a neutral option within Iorveth's path. But Roche did abuse my negotiations to launch a sneak attack, so gently caress him.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Roche's Path being more neutral is an opinion. Really, the closest thing to a neutral option is saving Triss in Act 3 of either path.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In the game they say if you wanna save Triss go with the Squirrels, if you want to catch the Kingslayer then go with Roche. So Iorveth's path is probably closer to neutral.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It really depends on motivation. At the time of At the Crossroads, both paths have neutral-ish and non-neutral ways of looking at them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, you could argue it either way. To me it always seemed clear that going and freeing a load of political prisoners is much more of an ideological action than going and murdering a corrupt official who the game has given you plenty of personal reasons to dislike. Assuming you define a neutral Geralt as one who doesn't act based on political ideology.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I felt no real care or dislike for the kingslayer, the only "bad" thing he does is abduct Triss and that's only after Geralt screws up his plans leaving him no other option. And the only reason you are going after him to begin with is that Roche blackmails you into it. I always ditch him the first chance I get.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
More games need the ability to drink booze with the bad guy and talk about olde times.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, it is 100% awesome that the game anticipates you getting to the end and realizing you'd much rather just be best buds with the primary antagonist, because gently caress it he's a chill dude who has no beef with you and you didn't care much about the guys he killed anyway.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Letho is a cool dude and hopefully I get to do a quest with him in the Wild Hunt.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPKTfyo4VRk
:aaaaa:

OXENFRUIT

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 3, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

I don't know, man. That's a lot of XP you'd be giving up.

"This choice will bring the long-prophesied ice age about, resulting in millions of deaths and the destruction of pretty much all civilization on this continent...but I do get 1.5x the XP for that, so :shrug:"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, it is 100% awesome that the game anticipates you getting to the end and realizing you'd much rather just be best buds with the primary antagonist, because gently caress it he's a chill dude who has no beef with you and you didn't care much about the guys he killed anyway.

A chill dude who framed you and stole your girl. Also, it kinda looked like Foltest was going to become Geralt's bro.

That's why I really killed him. We could've had Geralt and Foltest's Excellent Adventures.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

A chill dude who framed you and stole your girl. Also, it kinda looked like Foltest was going to become Geralt's bro.

That's why I really killed him. We could've had Geralt and Foltest's Excellent Adventures.

Whether to kill Letho or not is a pretty good choice. There's no right option and everyone has their own reasons for killing or sparing him.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Letho is a cool dude and hopefully I get to do a quest with him in the Wild Hunt.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPKTfyo4VRk
:aaaaa:

OXENFRUIT

Have they said anything about encountering stuff while sailing? Because it looks like it takes a loooooooooooong time over empty water.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah, if you put aside the whole sister-loving thing, Foltest was a cool king. I can understand wanting to avenge him.

I can't wait to relive my Windwaker memories in that boat. It's difficult to say how much content will be in Oxenfurt, given it's the location of the first expansion. I'm pretty sure they've said Shani won't be there are launch for example (so really, what's even the point?!). But seriously, it could well be that Oxenfurt will just be a bit of shell till the first expansion releases, we'll see.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Have they said anything about encountering stuff while sailing? Because it looks like it takes a loooooooooooong time over empty water.

Watch AngryJoe's video to see what happens

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 3, 2015

• Locked thread