Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JuniperCake posted:

Dude probably panicked, and said the one thing he thought would be enough to shock Allison into getting some distance between them in a hurry.

For all his bluster about being some emotion-less mastermind, the dude doesn't seem to have a way to deal with emotional intimacy. As nice as it is to have someone he can talk actually talk to about stuff, it probably terrifies him that there is someone who knows enough about him that they can call him on his bluff. He is probably used to being able to change someone's opinion/behavior by saying just the right thing, but Allison has wised up to that by now. It probably didn't help that he flat out told her about that. All his previous attempts failed, so he decided to say the worst thing he could think of.

I mean if this were purely a misdirection, this wouldn't be necessary since he had already gotten the subject away from whatever activities he may be involved in. If he just wanted some distance and was thinking clearly, all he would have to say is that he wasn't comfortable with the situation and needed time/space and he should know Allison well enough that she'd respect that. So his response really doesn't make sense unless it some emotional knee-jerk kind of thing.

I kind of agree. For most of his life, he got everything he wanted by saying everything the other person wants to hear, or doesn't want to hear for that matter. It would make sense if, in a fit of panic, he forgoes emotional honesty and falls back on manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This whole goddamn page feels like a non-sequitur.

"Oh, I'm a good person, is that what you know I am?"
Next page, suddenly blushy romance, until it snaps back to him being a dick?

What exactly, the gently caress, is happening here.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He let her think a romantic moment was happening and then he was like "lol you want DEEZ NUTZ?" and mic dropped on her

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Poison Mushroom posted:

This whole goddamn page feels like a non-sequitur.

"Oh, I'm a good person, is that what you know I am?"
Next page, suddenly blushy romance, until it snaps back to him being a dick?

What exactly, the gently caress, is happening here.

He ran out of emotional steam, embraced her, and then did exactly what Juniper just described. Fairly straightforward.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Naw, see, he wants to be the perfect boyfriend, and give Alison everything she wants. It's just that she tends to solve her problems in a straightforward manner, and so when he read her mind and got "I really wish I had a problem I could just punch right now", well...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

She just super-farted, Patrick is trying to shield his poor sense of smell.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

JuniperCake posted:

I mean if this were purely a misdirection, this wouldn't be necessary since he had already gotten the subject away from whatever activities he may be involved in. If he just wanted some distance and was thinking clearly, all he would have to say is that he wasn't comfortable with the situation and needed time/space and he should know Allison well enough that she'd respect that. So his response really doesn't make sense unless it some emotional knee-jerk kind of thing.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess the problem with being able to manipulate people into doing whatever you want is, well, in situations where you're not totally sure what you want.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Another thing: Alison is subconsciously worried that she will hurt anyone she has sex with. If Patrick is picking up on that as well as her more obvious desire for him (likely) that might explain the mixed signals he is sending.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

Dude probably panicked, and said the one thing he thought would be enough to shock Allison into getting some distance between them in a hurry.

For all his bluster about being some emotion-less mastermind, the dude doesn't seem to have a way to deal with emotional intimacy. As nice as it is to have someone he can talk actually talk to about stuff, it probably terrifies him that there is someone who knows enough about him that they can call him on his bluff. He is probably used to being able to change someone's opinion/behavior by saying just the right thing, but Allison has wised up to that by now. It probably didn't help that he flat out told her about that. All his previous attempts failed, so he decided to say the worst thing he could think of.

Yeah this is probably completely spot-on.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm not sure it was exactly unplanned, but I agree that this is basically him trying to drive her away. Look at those tears in the early panels on this page; I don't think that's fake. I'm pretty sure he's already worked out what he's going to say there and is unhappy about what's going to happen next.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
So, uh, I guess it wasn't exactly a backhand.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well that's new.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
:munch:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Alison, dear, please stop scaring the poo poo out of your super villain boyfried everyone. :stare:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This feels very Gordian Knot and I like it after listening to Patrick blather on for so many pages.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At least she caught on to what most of us were already assuming.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well that's new.

I for one suspected she was a Man of Steel Kryptonian all along.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's why she's so strong - tactile telekinesis!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If all of her abilities are really just manifestations of a subconscious use of telekinesis, that might also explain how Cleaver could hurt her. If his blades are so sharp that they are approaching sub-atomic thinness, they could probably cut just a bit into her before they become wide enough for the nerves in her body to register them and trigger the telekinetic pushback.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
She did say her anomaly was getting worse. It's nice to see a payoff for that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It looks as if she's projecting whatever field gives her invulnerability outside of her body, and everything in the area (including Patrick) is being pushed away from her (or potentially caught/suspended in it - it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with those cups and pens) She's floating in the middle of the room because it's roughly spherical; it's pushing her away from the floor since presumably she weighs less than the floor does. As she calms down, she drifts back down to the floor because the field is shrinking back to her body size. I wonder if she even knew she could do that before this moment; Patrick seems really shocked in panel 4, which suggests that she didn't, since if she knew, he probably would have. I mean, either that or she can somehow hide some information from him, or else he hasn't gone deep-diving in her brain lately.

Also: I like it when she goes into superhero-mode and stops acting so much like a goofus. It's something she's even acknowledged; the violent hero stuff is where she feels most confident, like she knows what she's doing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

It looks as if she's projecting whatever field gives her invulnerability outside of her body, and everything in the area (including Patrick) is being pushed away from her (or potentially caught/suspended in it - it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with those cups and pens)

It looks like the only thing pushed away from her was Patrick - everything else looks levitated. The lamp and chair aren't just being pushed.

There goes all of the government's emergency plans to deal with her, probably.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 5, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
better get to work on those spaceships

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

better get to work on those spaceships

But she can fly now!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MikeJF posted:

But she can fly now!

Work faster dammit!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if she will tell the government about this new power. Then again I wonder if she'll be able to replicate it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Something I'm curious about is if Alison has enough presence of mind to realize if/when she's being manipulated by him, and just turn his head into a ripe melon. She knows he's got the ultimate power of manipulation, but is she aware enough of her own hunger to catch him trying to manipulate her? It's still a non-zero chance that the Black Folders could be just another piece in a long con.

:ms:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You know, the last page looked to me like Allison had put some points into faith and used the force miracle from Dark Souls, but I figured that was just due to badly portrayed action.

Guess not, I get the feeling that poo poo's going to go down now that Allison has even less direction and her powers are still growing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It takes a lot of fun out of this scene when you realize that since this new thing is something Alison has apparently experienced before, that means Patrick knew about it too.

Anyway, if her powers go beyond "strong! and tough!" that bodes very well for her being able to Fix Everything. Obviously she just needs to get to the point where she can affect the entire planet like this, and then have enough control to just stop anything bad before it happens.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Carrasco posted:

It takes a lot of fun out of this scene when you realize that since this new thing is something Alison has apparently experienced before, that means Patrick knew about it too.

Anyway, if her powers go beyond "strong! and tough!" that bodes very well for her being able to Fix Everything. Obviously she just needs to get to the point where she can affect the entire planet like this, and then have enough control to just stop anything bad before it happens.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's why she's so strong - tactile telekinesis!

It all makes sense. Allison is going to turn into the next Superboy Prime and punch reality in order to fix the world.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

There goes all of the government's emergency plans to deal with her, probably.

:colbert: 90% sure they can still pump deadly gas into her room as she sleeps!

Edit: Not anything TOXIC since that would probably be prevented from harming her, just anything that isn't oxygen so she can't breathe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

Edit: Not anything TOXIC since that would probably be prevented from harming her, just anything that isn't oxygen so she can't breathe.

Watch her body unconsciously blow the walls out as she floats up into the air in response to suffocation.

In any case, if Allison goes rogue, her immediately sleeping in a nice controlled space is a bit much to hope for.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 6, 2015

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Involuntary gasps as she's choking will cave in whatever room she's in.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

Do we have any reason to believe she needs to breathe?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

Cleaver needed to breathe, and they're both "Tier 1 Resilient", albeit by different means ("autonomic somadynamism" versus "muscular, dermal and osteodynamic savant").

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I can't recall, have we seen her do any firefighting? Does she use respirator equipment when she does?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Patrick Spens posted:

Not other than standard assumptions of the genre, which are that any differences from human norms will usually be noted. But it's possible SHE doesn't yet know, if she's not been put in the situations.

Superstring posted:

I can't recall, have we seen her do any firefighting? Does she use respirator equipment when she does?
I don't think we have.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think someone else drew an excerpt of her firefighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The room on fire from a flamethrower didn't slow her down, and normal humans can't breath much at all in that kind of environment.

• Locked thread